SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

ROR + Carlson + defense depth = genuine playoff team?

Created by: danni04
Team: 2018-19 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: May 18, 2018
Published: May 20, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Can Wild improve their defense while keeping both their big name RFAs and making offense bit more shiny than last season? I believe they actually can, so let's have a look.
The blockbuster move here is dealing away Spurgeon and Koivu to Buffalo for O'Reilly and McCabe. I am not entirely sure BUF would accept the deal, but O'Reilly is fed up with the Sabres and given their terrible defense, acquiring defender that might help Risto and Dahlin to develop and an experienced 2nd/3rd C in Koivu might just be enough. The other option is to switch Koivu for Dubnyk and to look for a GK in the free market (Halak, Hutton, Khudobin or Mrazek might be viable choices).
In the free market, Wild acquire J Carlson. He's similar age to Spurgeon, more productive on offense and much more physical. Pairing with Suter might create one of the most complex defensive duos in NHL. Alongside Carlson, Wild also sign L Schenn to pair him with McCabe in 3rd defensive pair. This should create one of the strongest defense in the league with almost no holes (the 3rd defensive pair was major issue last year and McCabe/Schenn is much better pair than Seeler/Prosser IMO).
In the case of signing Dumba and Zucker, I've signed them for a bit longer than I'd like in exchange for lower cap hit. I'm not overly excited with any other Wild RFA/UFA from last season, so this doesn't scenario doesn't work with signing them as they might be signed but more as a back-up players who'll play in the AHL most of the time.
Because I concentrated on defense, I didn't sign that many exciting assets to strengthen the O-lineup. However, bringing a couple of players from Europe into the bottom 6 might work just fine. Corvi should pair well with Nino and Sekac is a very quick player with previous NHL experience, who developed well in KHL in last 2 seasons. This also means J Greenway and/or L Kunin can start the season in AHL to get more playing experience before they are ready to be called up and deliver. Signing A Chiasson from WSH should also bring more physicality and competitivness into the bottom six which looked terribly last season.
After acquiring O'Reilly, I think the top six is ready to go (also, O'Reilly is more productive than Koivu so less pressure will be on Staal's line). The last addition is 3rd line LW B Perlini from Arizona who notched 30 points last season.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$4,500,000
5$4,700,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Corvi, Enzo
1$650,000
1$1,000,000
Sekac, Jiri
1$650,000
2$1,000,000
5$6,500,000
Trades
MIN
  1. 2019 3rd round pick (MTL)
MTL
  1. Ennis, Tyler ($1,000,000 retained)
  2. 2019 5th round pick (WSH)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$78,000,000$68,234,424$25,000$1,825,000$9,765,576

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$4,700,000$4,700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 5
$5,750,000$5,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Corvi, Enzo
$650,000$650,000
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
Sekac, Jiri
$650,000$650,000
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$916,666$916,666 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW, C
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
UFA - 8
$2,166,667$2,166,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 5
$650,000$650,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 20, 2018 at 10:32 a.m.
I don't think the Sabres would move ROR for a 35 year old Koivu and 28 year old Spurgeon with only 2 years left on his deal. Based on the state of the team they are probably looking for controllable young players to help build around Eichle and Dahlin.
Shibbal18 liked this.
May 20, 2018 at 10:45 a.m.
Buffalo isn't trading O'Reilly for a 700 year old center.
May 20, 2018 at 10:54 a.m.
danni04
Quoting: Greysuits
I don't think the Sabres would move ROR for a 35 year old Koivu and 28 year old Spurgeon with only 2 years left on his deal. Based on the state of the team they are probably looking for controllable young players to help build around Eichle and Dahlin.

They are in a state of rebuild for 5+ years. ROR is absolutely disgusted with that team (he admitted on several occasions, that it is hard to stay motivated when the team is continously losing) and next year, they will rely heavily on bunch of youngsters (Eichel, Reinhart, Mittelstadt) and their only experienced forwards worth something except ROR are Pominville (who is defo not worth 5.6M at this moment) and Okposo. In defence, all their experience defenders are a joke and they will need experienced tutor to help Ristolainen and Dahlin develop.
Very good defensive center with a lot of leadership experience (who will be a lot cheaper after next season) and a very good defensemen who might help develop the absolute gem they will have in Dahlin for at least 2 seasons for a (an excellent) player who failed to lift them from the basement of the league and will have to settle to position in 2nd line. It certainly isn't trade that is easy to make, but I believe that after taking all pros and cons, BUF will settle for the deal (they might want some 2nd/3rd round draft pick added or remove McCabe from the trade, but in the end they will do it).
May 20, 2018 at 11:03 a.m.
I guess not. We need two left wingers in the top 6, and need LHD in the top 4 for the Dahlin.
May 20, 2018 at 11:07 a.m.
Quoting: danni04
They are in a state of rebuild for 5+ years. ROR is absolutely disgusted with that team (he admitted on several occasions, that it is hard to stay motivated when the team is continously losing) and next year, they will rely heavily on bunch of youngsters (Eichel, Reinhart, Mittelstadt) and their only experienced forwards worth something except ROR are Pominville (who is defo not worth 5.6M at this moment) and Okposo. In defence, all their experience defenders are a joke and they will need experienced tutor to help Ristolainen and Dahlin develop.
Very good defensive center with a lot of leadership experience (who will be a lot cheaper after next season) and a very good defensemen who might help develop the absolute gem they will have in Dahlin for at least 2 seasons for a (an excellent) player who failed to lift them from the basement of the league and will have to settle to position in 2nd line. It certainly isn't trade that is easy to make, but I believe that after taking all pros and cons, BUF will settle for the deal (they might want some 2nd/3rd round draft pick added or remove McCabe from the trade, but in the end they will do it).

ROR has never said he wanted to leave Buffalo, even in the one imterview you are talking about where he said he lost his love for the game at times, he said he wanted to stay in Buffalo. He has also stated that he wants to stay in Buffalo in several interviews since then.

Also the Sabres can get veteran leadership through FA or other minor trades. When ROR is thier only trade chip of real value they have to get as much young talent as possible for him.
wagsnags and Shibbal18 liked this.
May 20, 2018 at 11:19 a.m.
danni04
Quoting: eskimo
I guess not. We need two left wingers in the top 6, and need LHD in the top 4 for the Dahlin.

If I checked correctly, Dahlin is a LHD, why would you need another one for him? Wouldn't it make more sense to get a RHD (like Spurgeon) to play with him? (I know Risto is a RHD, but putting them together seems like putting all eggs in 1 basket)
May 20, 2018 at 11:20 a.m.
If I checked correctly, Dahlin is a LHD, why would you need another one for him? Wouldn't it make more sense to get a RHD (like Spurgeon) to play with him? (I know Risto is a RHD, but putting them together seems like putting all eggs in 1 basket)

Dahlin is only formally LHD. He almost always plays RHD, and makes this specifically, not forced.
May 20, 2018 at 11:37 a.m.
danni04
ROR has never said he wanted to leave Buffalo, even in the one imterview you are talking about where he said he lost his love for the game at times, he said he wanted to stay in Buffalo. He has also stated that he wants to stay in Buffalo in several interviews since then.

Also the Sabres can get veteran leadership through FA or other minor trades. When ROR is thier only trade chip of real value they have to get as much young talent as possible for him.

I might have exaggerated the tiredness of ROR with Buffalo, but he had several years to deliver and it just didn't happen. He's an exciting player, but it is possible that BUF will never suit him enough to sell 100% of his talent there.
Given BUF current situation (average G, 2 overpriced Ds (Bogosian & Scandella), and generally awful defending), acquiring 2 defensively good players seems reasonable to me. The FA arugment is a bit off I think, as the only RHD avilable in FA this year comparable to Spurgeon is Carlson and only C comparably as good as Koivu is Stastny. They are no doubt better than Spurgeon and Koivu (although not by that much), but I doubt they will sign for BUF.
The minor trades you are talking about are also a tough track to take. The depth of BUF is poor and therefore, they don't have much assets to trade except draft picks. But trading away draft picks sabotages the strategy you mentioned earlier about getting as many young players for ROR as possible.
I think BUF are in a position, when they have to lose something to overcome this. And ROR is enough attractive asset to lure a lot of value in return for that. You surely might disagree if Koivu and Spurgeon are the value, but I think either way, we'll see ROR out of BUF pretty soon.
May 20, 2018 at 11:42 a.m.
I might have exaggerated the tiredness of ROR with Buffalo, but he had several years to deliver and it just didn't happen. He's an exciting player, but it is possible that BUF will never suit him enough to sell 100% of his talent there.
Given BUF current situation (average G, 2 overpriced Ds (Bogosian & Scandella), and generally awful defending), acquiring 2 defensively good players seems reasonable to me. The FA arugment is a bit off I think, as the only RHD avilable in FA this year comparable to Spurgeon is Carlson and only C comparably as good as Koivu is Stastny. They are no doubt better than Spurgeon and Koivu (although not by that much), but I doubt they will sign for BUF.
The minor trades you are talking about are also a tough track to take. The depth of BUF is poor and therefore, they don't have much assets to trade except draft picks. But trading away draft picks sabotages the strategy you mentioned earlier about getting as many young players for ROR as possible.
I think BUF are in a position, when they have to lose something to overcome this. And ROR is enough attractive asset to lure a lot of value in return for that. You surely might disagree if Koivu and Spurgeon are the value, but I think either way, we'll see ROR out of BUF pretty soon.

I agree that ROR will probably get moved this season. I just don't think it will be for older players at the end of their contract.
May 20, 2018 at 11:55 a.m.
danni04
I agree that ROR will probably get moved this season. I just don't think it will be for older players at the end of their contract.

I think we kinda reached a conclusion here. He is an incredible asset and it is surely possible BUF does get more than I offered. From the perspective of a MIN supporter, I was trying to make an offer that would be reasonable (I am not saying that it'd be extremely attractive for BUF). I acknowledge it is highly inprobable to happen given emotional bonds MIN has with Koivu. You also made a rather good argument with the Spurgeon contract ending soon. Still, I think that after the E Kane disaster at deadline day, this is a trade that actually might happen and both teams might benefit from it.
May 20, 2018 at 12:06 p.m.
There is not even the faintest of chances Buffalo would consider that trade. Very one sided.
May 20, 2018 at 12:20 p.m.
ROR is still a top flight C in the NHL.... he showed his abilities in the World Championships..... the Sabres have a need for a true #2C so ergo the need to trade him is not extremely high...... due to the aforementioned in order to trade him the Sabres will have to receive a package that is over valued rather than under valued.

What is it going to take for the Sabres to trade him..... Look for young players that are still in under team control..... sprinkle in a core veteran..... with a prospect.... and a pick;

What do the Sabres need.... speed on the wings, a LW, a RHD that can play on the first line (this allows Risto to move to the 2nd pairing to reduce the high leverage situations)......

There is not a snowballs chance in hell that GMBots makes the trade mentioned above...... just not going to happen and the conversation would be ended in quick fashion.
May 20, 2018 at 12:44 p.m.
I feel like as much as anyone can argue about it, Koivu has a NMC clause so he isn't going anywhere, and I would guess Buffalo is among Spurgeons 10 teams he can't be traded too, so no matter what the trade isn't feasible.
May 20, 2018 at 12:53 p.m.
Shibbal18

Your trading a good defensive center for an older lesser one and a good young defender for a good older defender based on a quote from 2 months ago that you took out of context. ROR has already clarified his comments and is a Sabre for now. Only reason they get rid of him is to clear cap for a bigger fish, or team gets desperate and over pays. Sabres also have Housley to mentor the kid so they really are only looking to upgrade Scandella.
May 20, 2018 at 12:55 p.m.
No reason for Buffalo to take Koivu (a lesser/older ROR) for ROR. Also there is no reason for Koivu to waive him NMC to go to Buffalo. McCabe does nothing for Minny that Olofsson/Seeler can't (at least in theory) do. Offer up Zucker in Koivu's place and it at least gets interesting for the Sabres. Zucker/Eichel/Reinhart would be a fast/entertaining line.

The big question for Buffalo is if Dahlin is going to be a RD or LD in the NHL?
-If he's a RD then Spurgeon does nothing with Risto, Dahlin. and Bogo (or whatever is left of him).
-If he's a LD then Spurgeon would be an excellent partner for him to get him through his rookie year.

The AZ trade is bad for AZ. Perlini (top-6 ceiling) is the best player in the trade; and AZ is getting a 3/4 line grinder, an AHL LD (maybe 2nd pair ceiling), and an AHL lifer FWD.
May 20, 2018 at 1:08 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Five stars for wanting O'Reilly
TBH, I am not sure if that is a fair exchange of talent, not taking into consideration the difference in age and contract.
No Deal !! shakes head
May 20, 2018 at 6:13 p.m.
Minnesota Wild

You're high if you think Pominville has any value whatsoever. We tried to trade him to any team that would listen last off season and the only one with any interest whatsoever was Buffalo. He continued his steep decline this season making that $5.6 million an even worse value. You'd get nothing in return for a soon to be 36 year old on an expiring deal who is way overpaid at this point in his career.
danni04 liked this.
May 20, 2018 at 6:38 p.m.
danni04
Quoting: futurehofer
You're high if you think Pominville has any value whatsoever. We tried to trade him to any team that would listen last off season and the only one with any interest whatsoever was Buffalo. He continued his steep decline this season making that $5.6 million an even worse value. You'd get nothing in return for a soon to be 36 year old on an expiring deal who is way overpaid at this point in his career.

You're right grin
I never said I think highly of Pominville, I just didn't want to be harsh in my critique of him. Also even though he's not a great player, he's still better than 5-6 forwards on BUF roster (which just shows how terrible their depth is)
May 20, 2018 at 6:42 p.m.
Quoting: futurehofer

I'd trade Ennis for Pommer 1-for-1, even better if there was any type of retention on Pommer's salary. Pommer can at least PK and take SO attempts from Koivu.
May 20, 2018 at 6:50 p.m.
danni04
Quoting: wabit
No reason for Buffalo to take Koivu (a lesser/older ROR) for ROR. Also there is no reason for Koivu to waive him NMC to go to Buffalo. McCabe does nothing for Minny that Olofsson/Seeler can't (at least in theory) do. Offer up Zucker in Koivu's place and it at least gets interesting for the Sabres. Zucker/Eichel/Reinhart would be a fast/entertaining line.

The big question for Buffalo is if Dahlin is going to be a RD or LD in the NHL?
-If he's a RD then Spurgeon does nothing with Risto, Dahlin. and Bogo (or whatever is left of him).
-If he's a LD then Spurgeon would be an excellent partner for him to get him through his rookie year.

The AZ trade is bad for AZ. Perlini (top-6 ceiling) is the best player in the trade; and AZ is getting a 3/4 line grinder, an AHL LD (maybe 2nd pair ceiling), and an AHL lifer FWD.

Koivu for ROR alone is a bad trade for BUF, agreed. I probably failed to stress that the main value for BUF from the trade is Spurgeon (as a compatriot for Dahlin as you pointed out). But because ROR for Spurgeon is still an uneven trade, MIN adds Koivu to 1) close the value gap, 2) give BUF a player, who doesn't have qualities of ROR, but can play 2nd C behind Eichel (he still notched 45 points last year, that's only 15 less that ROR and there's still the Spurgeon factor). 3) relief a bit of cap-space to afford this.
As I mentioned in one of the previous replies, if BUF still doesn't like the value, they can probably keep McCabe and/or MIN can throw in draft pick/A Stalock/J Greenway/other minor assets to close the gap. The other option is to swap Spurgeon for Dumba, but that seems like a bit of overpay from MIN's side to me.
May 20, 2018 at 6:51 p.m.
danni04
Quoting: wabit
I'd trade Ennis for Pommer 1-for-1, even better if there was any type of retention on Pommer's salary. Pommer can at least PK and take SO attempts from Koivu.

If MIN fails to get rid of Ennis, then probably why not, but I still hope we can get rid of that huge salary w/out taking another one in.
May 20, 2018 at 7:31 p.m.
Koivu for ROR alone is a bad trade for BUF, agreed. I probably failed to stress that the main value for BUF from the trade is Spurgeon (as a compatriot for Dahlin as you pointed out). But because ROR for Spurgeon is still an uneven trade, MIN adds Koivu to 1) close the value gap, 2) give BUF a player, who doesn't have qualities of ROR, but can play 2nd C behind Eichel (he still notched 45 points last year, that's only 15 less that ROR and there's still the Spurgeon factor). 3) relief a bit of cap-space to afford this.
As I mentioned in one of the previous replies, if BUF still doesn't like the value, they can probably keep McCabe and/or MIN can throw in draft pick/A Stalock/J Greenway/other minor assets to close the gap. The other option is to swap Spurgeon for Dumba, but that seems like a bit of overpay from MIN's side to me.

Greenway is not a minor asset.

Koivu had less points on a much higher scoring team and had either Granny and/or Zucker on his wings almost all season. Remember Foligno was a middle-6 player in Buf, and he was a potential scratch here in MN. That's the gap in FWD ability between the teams. Put ROR in Koivu's spot last season and he's challenging Staal for the team lead in points, and finishes top-3 for Selkie.

Koivu and Spurgeon aren't the missing peices for Buffalo to become a Cup contender, they probably wouldn't even make them a fringe WC team next year. They only have 2 years of service on their contracts and then Koivu retires and Spurgeon can walk after the season (assuming Buffalo is is in contention for the Playoffs and doesn't trade either of them at the TDL).

Brodin, Dumba, Granny, Nino, or Zucker would be the players Buffalo should be the main asking for as a return for ROR, they fit better for age, term, or ability. Spurgeon (and Coyle) would be an add on player, not the main piece. Everyone else, besides the ELC players, is just unneeded stuff for Buffalo.

Spurgeon and Koivu could be the missing pieces for a few other teams, but those teams are already Playoff teams. Not teams coming out of a rebuild and might make the Playoffs in the next 2 seasons.
May 20, 2018 at 9:33 p.m.
MNBassman
There isn't one trade here that is equitable for both teams. The Wild make out like bandits on every single one...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll