SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game 2018-19

2018-19 GM Game - General Discussion

Would you guys be ok with me being a GM simultaneously with my Commissioner duties?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

May 24, 2018 at 10:29 a.m.
Go Jackets
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Re: Lerner Trade

Doesn't seem to make sense to take potential deals into account for whether or not the current deal is "fair". If this trade is deemed to "impact market value," then I ask the BOG to elaborate on why other trades were not considered to do the same (trade #1, for example).

Thanks guys

Speaking of which, @rangersandislesfan and @TonyStrecher , the BOG would like to hear why you each think the Tanev deal is fair for you. Deal isn’t in the reversion process yet, but there has been a decent amount of displeasure over the deal.
May 24, 2018 at 10:31 a.m.
Quoting: matt59
The Columbus Blue Jackets will be hiring Todd Nelson as assistant coach.

Columbus Blue Jackets

so you don't want Todd Richards back as head coach?
May 24, 2018 at 10:35 a.m.
Go Jackets
Quoting: BoltsPoint21
so you don't want Todd Richards back as head coach?

giphy.gif
rangersandislesfan liked this.
May 24, 2018 at 10:41 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Speaking of which, @rangersandislesfan and @TonyStrecher , the BOG would like to hear why you each think the Tanev deal is fair for you. Deal isn’t in the reversion process yet, but there has been a decent amount of displeasure over the deal.

For me, we had 2 1st round picks this year, so we still have another. Our defence needed an upgrade, and Tanev is a really good defenseman. I don't see how the value is off, at least not by very much, for either side.
May 24, 2018 at 10:45 a.m.
Go Jackets
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
For me, we had 2 1st round picks this year, so we still have another. Our defence needed an upgrade, and Tanev is a really good defenseman. I don't see how the value is off, at least not by very much, for either side.

Sorokin is one of the better goalie prospects in the world, 2018 is a deep draft, and Pelech (a d man) was included despite being weak at the position. Yan Pavael Laplante has 2 points in 20ish AHL games. Is Tanev's durability a concern to you?
May 24, 2018 at 11:00 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Sorokin is one of the better goalie prospects in the world, 2018 is a deep draft, and Pelech (a d man) was included despite being weak at the position. Yan Pavael Laplante has 2 points in 20ish AHL games. Is Tanev's durability a concern to you?

Sorokin is not a starter yet though, and we were getting ready to trade for one, which we did. We moved Pelech because we are getting Tanev, who is a big upgrade over Pelech.
May 24, 2018 at 11:05 a.m.
CFGM Game Moderator
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
For me, we had 2 1st round picks this year, so we still have another.

Just because you were lucky enough to have 2 1st rd picks doesn't mean you should use one on something that doesn't warrant the value.
With the way people value 1st rd picks in this game, that thing was like gold to you, and you kinda wasted it.
Reading the team pages, there are WAYYYYY better Dmen available for the right package. And having the luxury of being able to include a 1st in your offer could have put you in the lead for many of them.
May 24, 2018 at 11:19 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: flamesfan419
Just because you were lucky enough to have 2 1st rd picks doesn't mean you should use one on something that doesn't warrant the value.
With the way people value 1st rd picks in this game, that thing was like gold to you, and you kinda wasted it.
Reading the team pages, there are WAYYYYY better Dmen available for the right package. And having the luxury of being able to include a 1st in your offer could have put you in the lead for many of them.

The prices on a lot of the other d-men were a 1st + more top pieces. Sorokin and Pelech are good, but i don't feel like we gave up any 'top prospects' in the deal (unless you count a pick as a prospect lol). Other teams were asking for way more. For better d-men, yes, but the prices were higher. And we know that Tanev is really good. The player that is selected with that pick is still unpredictable. Also, are the pieces involved in the Tanev deal frozen for now?
May 24, 2018 at 11:20 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: flamesfan419

Also, i wouldn't say i wasted it. I traded it, but it wasn't a waste.
Zach liked this.
May 24, 2018 at 12:10 p.m.
Okay we need a break in all this RAIF talk. Leave the poor kid alone laugh

The Detroit Red Wings would like to announce the firing of Jeff Blashill and the entire coaching staff

Niklas Lidstrom has been named head coach
Pavel Datayuk has been named assistant coach
Dominik Hasek has been named goalie coach

And also, as a result of TonyStretcher’s replacement of Jim Benning as Canucks GM, the Red Wings would also like to hire Jim Benning as our head scout

#DetroitForTheCup2019 is officially on rock on
May 24, 2018 at 12:24 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: MrBooth

The Detroit Red Wings would like to announce the firing of Jeff Blashill and the entire coaching staff

And also, as a result of TonyStretcher’s replacement of Jim Benning as Canucks GM, the Red Wings would also like to hire Jim Benning as our head scout

lol
May 24, 2018 at 12:37 p.m.
Yzerman has taken a role of Club President.

Todd Richards has signed a clause which only allows him to leave for Head Coach of the Blue Jackets.
May 24, 2018 at 12:39 p.m.
Second Announcement:

Looking to move Frans Nielsen hopefully before the draft. He should be fairly cheap, and does produce a good 15-20 goals and 30-40 points while having a solid two-way game. Shoot me an offer if you have one

Detroit Red Wings
May 24, 2018 at 12:48 p.m.
CFGM Game Moderator
Calgary Flames

The Calgary Flames will be qualifying the following players, which opens them up to the offer sheet process unless they are moved in trades prior to that time.

Austin Carroll QO = $715,000
Hunter Smith QO = $715,000
Emile Poirier QO = $874,125
** dollar amounts generated using the CF qualifying offer option on this site**

The following players are on the clubs negotiating list to sign new deal in mid June when RFA season begins, unless the player rights are traded prior to that beginning.

Hunter Shinkaruk
Jon Gillies
Morgan Klimchuk

cheers
May 24, 2018 at 1:11 p.m.
alwaysnextyear

I'm only the Canucks AGM and Tony did the negotiations on this deal with RAIF, but I'll share my four cents.

1) Some guys on here don't value Tanev's game very much, partially because of his durability, partially because he doesn't put up big points. What he does do when he's healthy is suppress shots at an elite level, which any team hoping to take the next step like the Isles are, could desperately use.

2) Pelech at this point is a fine third pairing Dman, nothing more.

3) Sorokin is a very good prospect that is unsigned and could easily walk on us, as evidenced in this article from last year, https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/05/sorokin-thinking-future.html

"Sorokin again told reporters at the end of the tournament that he was focused on his final contract year in the KHL, and hasn’t even considered a move to North America yet."
"His current deal will expire at the end of April 2018, giving the Islanders just a few weeks to get him under contract."
"Since Sorokin was drafted in 2014, New York would lose his exclusive negotiating rights after June 1st of 2018, four years from when he was selected."

4) We're not even qualifying Shane Prince.
nobody and rangersandislesfan liked this.
May 24, 2018 at 1:13 p.m.
Quoting: MrBooth

If you're signing Bim Jenning, that must mean you're signing Chaput and Megna to long term contracts.
May 24, 2018 at 2:13 p.m.
GM - Canucks
The Chicago Blackhawks welcome Mark Hunter as another aGM, and head-scout.
May 24, 2018 at 4:10 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: alwaysnextyear
I'm only the Canucks AGM and Tony did the negotiations on this deal with RAIF, but I'll share my four cents.

1) Some guys on here don't value Tanev's game very much, partially because of his durability, partially because he doesn't put up big points. What he does do when he's healthy is suppress shots at an elite level, which any team hoping to take the next step like the Isles are, could desperately use.

3) Sorokin is a very good prospect that is unsigned and could easily walk on us, as evidenced in this article from last year, https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/05/sorokin-thinking-future.html

"Sorokin again told reporters at the end of the tournament that he was focused on his final contract year in the KHL, and hasn’t even considered a move to North America yet."
"His current deal will expire at the end of April 2018, giving the Islanders just a few weeks to get him under contract."
"Since Sorokin was drafted in 2014, New York would lose his exclusive negotiating rights after June 1st of 2018, four years from when he was selected."

I agree, Tanev is underrated because he doesn't get a lot of points. He's a very good d-man though.
May 24, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.
NateElder12

Sorokin, since he is playing in the KHL, you own his rights indefinitely since they fall under the KHL defection rule. That article is wrong which is why people don't use it as a reliable news source just so you guys know. What he didn't specify is they lose negotiation rights with him while he's under contract in the KHL since the NHL/KHL don't have transfer agreements. His KHL contract ends in 2020 at which point he is still property of the Islanders IRL. For players drafted that fall under the KHL rules you retain their rights until they reach UFA age in the NHL so you'd retain Sorokin's rights until 2023 season. I don't really care about the deal but if you guys used the June date of losing him in negotiations with RAIF I'd say that's pretty messed up. He basically has until his age 27/28 season to decide whether or not to play with the Islanders before he would become a UFA and they lose his rights.
May 24, 2018 at 6:07 p.m.
alwaysnextyear
Quoting: NateElder12
Sorokin, since he is playing in the KHL, you own his rights indefinitely since they fall under the KHL defection rule. That article is wrong which is why people don't use it as a reliable news source just so you guys know. What he didn't specify is they lose negotiation rights with him while he's under contract in the KHL since the NHL/KHL don't have transfer agreements. His KHL contract ends in 2020 at which point he is still property of the Islanders IRL. For players drafted that fall under the KHL rules you retain their rights until they reach UFA age in the NHL so you'd retain Sorokin's rights until 2023 season. I don't really care about the deal but if you guys used the June date of losing him in negotiations with RAIF I'd say that's pretty messed up. He basically has until his age 27/28 season to decide whether or not to play with the Islanders before he would become a UFA and they lose his rights.

Thanks for the info Nate, I wasn’t aware of this. I also wasn’t involved in negotiating the deal either, so I don’t know if Sorokin’s rights were really discussed.

If the BOG decrees changes need to be made to the deal, so be it. But it seems odd to me that RAIF, who’s now in his third season in this game, needs to be told he’s not evaluating his team’s needs or trades properly. I’ve told innumerable Oilers fans how terrible the Hall/Larsson swap was for their team, yet there are still quite a few of them that will defend it based on their team’s needs. And the NHL head office didn’t step in to say it was unfair and not approve the deal.
May 24, 2018 at 6:52 p.m.
GM - Canucks
Thanks for the info Nate, I wasn’t aware of this. I also wasn’t involved in negotiating the deal either, so I don’t know if Sorokin’s rights were really discussed.

If the BOG decrees changes need to be made to the deal, so be it. But it seems odd to me that RAIF, who’s now in his third season in this game, needs to be told he’s not evaluating his team’s needs or trades properly. I’ve told innumerable Oilers fans how terrible the Hall/Larsson swap was for their team, yet there are still quite a few of them that will defend it based on their team’s needs. And the NHL head office didn’t step in to say it was unfair and not approve the deal.

I think if Vancouver didn't recieve Sorokin in addition to the trade, it would be okay. Sorokin is an elite goal-tending prospect that is the equivilant of getting Demko as an add-on.
May 24, 2018 at 6:52 p.m.
NateElder12

I wasn't saying anything about the deal being reversed like I said it's more so you guys, RAIF, and others have the knowledge. Carry on haha
May 24, 2018 at 7:00 p.m.
Go Jackets
Quoting: BoltsPoint21
Yzerman has taken a role of Club President.

Todd Richards has signed a clause which only allows him to leave for Head Coach of the Blue Jackets.

That's gotta be one depressing clause... wink
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
May 24, 2018 at 7:06 p.m.
That's gotta be one depressing clause... wink

I think that's a great clause. It means he is guaranteed a head coaching job if he wants to leave...
matt59 liked this.
May 24, 2018 at 7:09 p.m.
Go Jackets
In relation to all the Tanev talk, I think he's a great defensive d man, but for pick 11, the add shouldn't be as much as it was. Laplante and the 5th pick are nothing compared to Sorokin and Pelech.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit