SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

What is the leafs do to address d needs?

May 22, 2018 at 8:28 p.m.
just wondering everyones thoughts
May 23, 2018 at 10:35 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Edited Jun. 20, 2018 at 11:22 p.m.
I know the 31 fans bases think the Leafs have worse Dmen in the league. Hard to believe that a team with103 points and a GAA that is 12th in league is that THAT bad.
Realistially I don't think the Leaf have that much of an opportunity to get some game changing Dmen this summer. So the development of Borgman and Dermot in the NHL and Liljegren AHL will be important cogs going forward. Plus the Zaitsev has to get back to playing up to his 4.5m Dmen contract because if he doesn't, he can't be traded and his anchor contract.
IMO, the 2018/19 will be a year of development with new wingers Grundstrom, and Kapaen and Johnson new full time wingers. Aaltonen and Nylander...new centres, Sparks new goalie, and as mentioned Borgman and Dermot on defence.
In 2019/20 there are potentially lots of UFA Dmen, maybe the Leafs make a splash then. No Gardiner or Hainsey, so there is will be holes to fill and some cap to do it. I would. not to like see trading for a semi big contract Dman in 2018, if it screws up the opportunity to make a better value signing in 2019.
May 23, 2018 at 10:53 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
I know the 31 fans bases think the Leafs have worse Dmen in the league. Hard to believe that a team with103 points and a GAA that is 12th in league is that THAT bad.
Realistially I don't think the Leaf have that much of an opportunity to get some game changing Dmen this summer. So the development of Borgman and Dermot in the NHL and Liljegren AHL will be important cogs going forward. Plus the Zaitsev has to get back to playing up to his 4.5m Dmen contract because if he doesn't, he can't be traded and his anchor contract.
IMO, the 2019/20 will be a year of development with new wingers Grundstrom, and Kapaen and Johnson new full time wingers. Aaltonen and Nylander...new centres, Sparks new goalie, and as mentioned Borgman and Dermot on defence.
In 2019/20 there are potentially lots of UFA Dmen, maybe the Leafs make a splash then. No Gardiner or Hainsey, so there is will be holes to fill and some cap to do it. I would. not to like see trading for a semi big contract Dman in 2018, if it screws up the opportunity to make a better value signing in 2019.

ya i agree with you. No real guy they can go out in free agency to grab this year besides carlson and id rather save my money. develop within, work with what you have and maybe make a deadline trade next season
May 24, 2018 at 9:47 a.m.
TheGiftedYoungRider
three words: Drew in Blue
beanie2911 liked this.
May 24, 2018 at 10:03 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: TheGiftedYoungRider
three words: Drew in Blue

Yea, that would be nice, but L.A. is his home, unless the Kings don't really want him next summer, I really can't see him moving even if the another team offers move money.
May 24, 2018 at 4:38 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Honestly I wouldn't be opposed to trading one of our many wingers for some short term relief at RHD. However, in the long run the most realistic option is Liljegren and maybe someone else we pick up at this years or next years draft. It's fun to imagine we grab a guy like Doughty or Carlson but Toronto doesn't have the cap space to bring in a big name and keep the current core intact at the same time. So I'd say maybe trading someone like Brown this off-season for some help would be worth it, but in the long run the help should come from within.
beanie2911 liked this.
Jun. 6, 2018 at 9:37 p.m.
Go leafs go
trade nylander for a big D
Jun. 14, 2018 at 1:16 p.m.
As most leaf fans, I would love to see Doughty in blue in white - I cant see it happening though. If I am Toronto, I am looking to add to the blueline without trading one of the big 3 young guys. I would look to Carolina (Faulk, Pesce, Slavin, Hanifin), to Florida (Pysyk, Petrovic), or try to pry Brodin or Dumba from Minny. I think a combination of draft picks and a young player or 2 could get a deal done. I would trade Nylander but only for a top pairing D man. I wouldn't even think of trading Marner (Or Matthews, but that goes without saying). I would also be interested in trying to pry Hjalmarsson out of Arizona. I think with a couple tweaks, the leafs could drastically improve their D. As far as free agency, Carlson would be nice but I would be surprised if that ever happened.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll