Forums/Armchair-GM

Making space for Tavares dream

Created by: Mikker575
Team: 2018-19 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: May 25, 2018
Published: May 25, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Since SJS screwed another signing, and they still need 1st C, I came with a solution how to do it. First fire Doug Wilson. New manager should trade Burns because he still has some value and get some picks or prospects. And then join hunt for Tavares. Next postseason should be signed Couture, Pavelski, Meier, Labanc and Donskoi. Martin´s contract will end, maybe try to trade Boedker. This could save about 10 million for resigning these players, which is enough if you don´t make another stupid singning. And if Balcers or some other kid steps up, you don´t have to resign Donskoi for example.
And of course this team would need some addition to D zone, maybe Sustr as 3rd pairing/7th Dman and one player similar to Schlemko (that was one of the best signings DW made, too bad Vegas took him).

And guys i am interested about you opinion about Burns as a player. I think he is face of this team, interesting personality for media, but he is just terrible D-man. Man all the turnovers he made, bad timing in D-zone... his points are not worth that for this team, with this roster, SJS offense would best in many years (good mix of young but experienced talent with some vets) and these Dmans can make some points too (+ Simek is great defender, don´t know why he was not given a chance, hope he makes the team and shows that he can play top 4).
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$5,200,000
2$2,500,000
2$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$10,000,000
Trades
SJS
    Any team, dont care about value given back in this topic, just idea how to make cap space. Retaining possible.
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$80,000,000$75,430,834$0$1,215,000$4,569,166
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 7
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 7
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $5,200,000$5,200,000
    C
    UFA - 4
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $717,500$717,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $759,167$759,167 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $1,900,000$1,900,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LD/RD
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 6
    $1,635,000$1,635,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $3,800,000$3,800,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,900,000$1,900,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $675,000$675,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $650,000$650,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $4,850,000$4,850,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 25, 2018 at 4:25 a.m.
    First, San Jose did not screw another signing. That’s basically market value for Kane. Second, Tavares is still a very realistic option. Third, Burns isn’t going anywhere with that albatross of a contract. Fourth, there are more tenable options for relieving salary than moving Burns. E.g. Trading Boedker/Karlsson, buying out Martin. Fifth, Hertl won’t get more then $5M per season. Sixth, Balcers likely won’t start next season with the Sharks.
    May 25, 2018 at 4:52 a.m.
    Quoting: icehawk2006
    First, San Jose did not screw another signing. That’s basically market value for Kane. Second, Tavares is still a very realistic option. Third, Burns isn’t going anywhere with that albatross of a contract. Fourth, there are more tenable options for relieving salary than moving Burns. E.g. Trading Boedker/Karlsson, buying out Martin. Fifth, Hertl won’t get more then $5M per season. Sixth, Balcers likely won’t start next season with the Sharks.

Well if you read the explanation, i gave my opinion about comaprsion Hertl/Kane and you just say thats basically market value... give some arguments based on his play why Kane should get 2+ more miilion than Hertl. Trading Boedker/Martin is also mentioned in the explanation, but thats what everyone would do, I wanted to try different way. Youre saying Hertl wont get, how can you be so sure? If you seen him in PO, you know he has great starting point to for negotiations. Balcers wont start with Sharks, you think he stays in Barracuda? Man you gave no argument whatsoever, why you comment then? grin
    May 25, 2018 at 5:15 a.m.
    Quoting: Mikker575
    Well if you read the explanation, i gave my opinion about comaprsion Hertl/Kane and you just say thats basically market value... give some arguments based on his play why Kane should get 2+ more miilion than Hertl. Trading Boedker/Martin is also mentioned in the explanation, but thats what everyone would do, I wanted to try different way. Youre saying Hertl wont get, how can you be so sure? If you seen him in PO, you know he has great starting point to for negotiations. Balcers wont start with Sharks, you think he stays in Barracuda? Man you gave no argument whatsoever, why you comment then? grin

Where do I start. I’m wondering if you’ve ever watched a game of Sharks hockey. You claim San Jose screwed another signing without any justification and you’re lecturing me on not providing evidence? What a joke. 1) Hertl has never once reached 50pts in his career and had lengthy injury history. You can’t just focus on playoffs as your starting point as a players future salary is based off of the entire body of work. His advanced stats are good but the results just don’t speak to a player who makes above $5M per season. The majority of the informed hockey world believes the type of player with this record only make just below $5M. All of the comps for Hertl’s contract make $5M or less. That’s how I know there’s a 95% probability he doesn’t make more than $5M per. Kane is getting market value at $7x7 because that’s what other GMs, some experts, and quite a few computer models said it would be. That’s based on his point production, advanced stats, and perceived market value due to his toolbox of skill. If you paid attention to hockey you would know this. 2) Trading Boedker/Martin is what other people are doing because it makes the most sense and is the most realistic, anything else is ridiculous. 3) the Sharks have specifically said Balcers isn’t ready for the NHL and will likely start on the AHL roster. By the way, this blog doesn’t require us to write a dissertation on why we are write, just say where we disagree. I just assumed you were knowledgeable Sharks fan (my bad). I explained myself this time just for fun so you might actually learn something and go do research before making ridiculous claims like “Sharks screwed another signing”.
    May 25, 2018 at 12:48 p.m.
    Grierless Sharks Fan
    They can trade Martin, Boedker, and Dillon before they trade Burns and it won't hurt them that much. You're also overpaying Hertl. I think they can get him at 4.5m/6 year.
    May 25, 2018 at 12:53 p.m.
    Quoting: icehawk2006
    Where do I start. I’m wondering if you’ve ever watched a game of Sharks hockey. You claim San Jose screwed another signing without any justification and you’re lecturing me on not providing evidence? What a joke. 1) Hertl has never once reached 50pts in his career and had lengthy injury history. You can’t just focus on playoffs as your starting point as a players future salary is based off of the entire body of work. His advanced stats are good but the results just don’t speak to a player who makes above $5M per season. The majority of the informed hockey world believes the type of player with this record only make just below $5M. All of the comps for Hertl’s contract make $5M or less. That’s how I know there’s a 95% probability he doesn’t make more than $5M per. Kane is getting market value at $7x7 because that’s what other GMs, some experts, and quite a few computer models said it would be. That’s based on his point production, advanced stats, and perceived market value due to his toolbox of skill. If you paid attention to hockey you would know this. 2) Trading Boedker/Martin is what other people are doing because it makes the most sense and is the most realistic, anything else is ridiculous. 3) the Sharks have specifically said Balcers isn’t ready for the NHL and will likely start on the AHL roster. By the way, this blog doesn’t require us to write a dissertation on why we are write, just say where we disagree. I just assumed you were knowledgeable Sharks fan (my bad). I explained myself this time just for fun so you might actually learn something and go do research before making ridiculous claims like “Sharks screwed another signing”.

As you can see, I gave Hertl 5.2 million which is close to what youre saying, my point was that Kane doesnt deserve that much (compare to Pastrnak, Barkov, Huberdau or Granlund and their money).

I chose to trade Burns because i do not like his defense play, what i expected was reaction about his play which is what i asked in explanation, you just commented on everything else but man, you cant take it so seriously, maybe i should have written impossible in the name of the topic...
    Well since i didnt have that much time last week i dont know what Sharks said about Balcers, I saw him 2 weeks ago few games at WC and giving him couple of games in the beginning of the season wouldnt could help him.

If you think you know so much about hockey, you wouldnt claim about yourself you are better and you undestand it more, i admit i do not have time to watch all stats and thats why i wanted you to hear some arguments to learn a bit too, not to fight about sh*t

About bad signigns, first Burns, too long term and bit too much money (and this caused Vlasic getting his money, if Burns got less, Vlasic would go for less too) Boedker - inconsistent player who is not top 6 forward (and was not by the time they signed him) in Sharks, 4 millions are too much. Martin - one year longer term, but thats not that bad.
    May 25, 2018 at 2:39 p.m.
    Quoting: Mikker575
    As you can see, I gave Hertl 5.2 million which is close to what youre saying, my point was that Kane doesnt deserve that much (compare to Pastrnak, Barkov, Huberdau or Granlund and their money).

I chose to trade Burns because i do not like his defense play, what i expected was reaction about his play which is what i asked in explanation, you just commented on everything else but man, you cant take it so seriously, maybe i should have written impossible in the name of the topic...
    Well since i didnt have that much time last week i dont know what Sharks said about Balcers, I saw him 2 weeks ago few games at WC and giving him couple of games in the beginning of the season wouldnt could help him.

If you think you know so much about hockey, you wouldnt claim about yourself you are better and you undestand it more, i admit i do not have time to watch all stats and thats why i wanted you to hear some arguments to learn a bit too, not to fight about sh*t

About bad signigns, first Burns, too long term and bit too much money (and this caused Vlasic getting his money, if Burns got less, Vlasic would go for less too) Boedker - inconsistent player who is not top 6 forward (and was not by the time they signed him) in Sharks, 4 millions are too much. Martin - one year longer term, but thats not that bad.

I never once made the claim I know so much about hockey. My claim was that your roster was showing you didn't know much about the Sharks, considering it was without any foundational explanation why you think these would happen. You're Team Explanation was insufficient. A "the Sharks suck, so I have to do some crazy things to fit Tavares" isn't a great explanation, and honestly is what pissed me off in the first place. don't go after your own team like that.

With respect to Kane, I'm telling you you're one of the very few people on the planet that don't think the Sharks paid what Kane was expected, at a minimum, to get. A broadcaster on NHL Network made a great point about the contract. It comes in at pretty much the same percentage of the cap hit as his previous contract. I don't like the term, but that was probably necessary to get him to sign in SJ, but also to get the cap hit to $7M.

I completely agree Burns was a bad signing, a very bad signing, its an albatross of a contract. Boedker was coming off of his third 50 point season and has wicked wheels. The signing was fine at the time, but has turned bad because he didn't play to expectations. Boeds actually had a very good year from Dec 1 on, so I don't think its necessary to jettison him yet, I think unless the return is good, let him play out his contract and just be done with it. Martin wouldn't be such a bad contract if he didn't get himself completely wrecked by injury.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll