SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game 2018-19

2018-19 Gm Game - Messages to the BOG/Commisioner

Mar. 28, 2019 at 6:17 p.m.
V3 Canucks GM, BOG
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Just a few questions: First, i can tell my AGM where i'm at with RFA negotiations before they're officially announced, right? Also, do i have to give my list of RFAs i'm qualifying before RFA negotiations start? It doesn't seem like i need to based on what @TonyStrecher said in the News and Important Info thread, but i'm just checking to make sure.

Yes you may discuss all you negotiations with you AGM. No you do not need to give a list of all the RFAs you're qualifying at this point, that will happen later in June during the second RFA window
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Mar. 29, 2019 at 6:40 p.m.
Go Jackets
Two questions regarding player rights... If we have a player's rights and they have signed in the NHL, are we required to sign them as well? or can we wait until later or next season to sign their rights?

Also... if there's players that interest us in the player rights release thread, can we sign them as UFAs? And would they could as waiver pickups?
Mar. 29, 2019 at 6:46 p.m.
GM - Canucks
Quoting: matt59
Two questions regarding player rights... If we have a player's rights and they have signed in the NHL, are we required to sign them as well? or can we wait until later or next season to sign their rights?

Also... if there's players that interest us in the player rights release thread, can we sign them as UFAs? And would they could as waiver pickups?

A. You are not required to sign them, you can sign them whenever.
B. You can sign them as UFAs, and yes it does count was a waiver pickup.
A_K and matt59 liked this.
Mar. 29, 2019 at 6:47 p.m.
Lets Go Blues

can wait and sign at your discretion as long as its before the rights expire

yes, they count as waiver claims
matt59 liked this.
Mar. 29, 2019 at 6:57 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: Icegirl
It was actually quite slow. The BOG had to sort out all the bids individually, which dragged the process on. If they'd be cool with doing it this way again, though, I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.

Was it V1 or V2 I did the sheets for?
I think it went something like this:

1. Each team gets a form listing the UFA's and can enter Dollar/Term for players they wish to sign, up to their allowable roster/cap space.
2. Bids are calculated and compared for each player, and teams are ranked in order of priority from highest bid to lowest.
3. GM's are presented with a list of players they hold the highest bid for. You can sign or withdraw your bid on those players accordingly.
4. GM's would be presented with a new list of the players they hold the highest bid for, once the signed players and withdrawn bids are removed.
5. Repeat step 4 until all teams have finished signing players.

* Ties were resolved with teams being offered the player in waiver priority order. This was the most time consuming part of the process.
** Distributing and re-collecting the lists, marking players as signed, and managing ties, requires the most work.
*** It's possible to automate the majority of the process with this system, but the time period and manual parts require punctual responses and processing.

I'm fuzzy on how well the system worked, since I was simply adding onto it and troubleshooting as we went and was focused on the process. I recall running into several unexpected issues and having to do patchwork. I do remember breaking ties was like pulling teeth at times. We had a deadline for responses, but it still dragged out longer than necessary.
A_K and PrincessChloe liked this.
Mar. 29, 2019 at 7:23 p.m.
Go Jackets
Quoting: A_K
can wait and sign at your discretion as long as its before the rights expire

yes, they count as waiver claims

Is there a mininum AAV we need to sign a UFA on the player rights list to? I.E. can I sign them to a 675k x 3 year ELC contract?
Mar. 29, 2019 at 8:01 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Is there a mininum AAV we need to sign a UFA on the player rights list to? I.E. can I sign them to a 675k x 3 year ELC contract?

I think that's fine, and then you can correct to IRL contract when they sign.
matt59 liked this.
Mar. 29, 2019 at 8:50 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
Quoting: ricochetii
Was it V1 or V2 I did the sheets for?
I think it went something like this:

1. Each team gets a form listing the UFA's and can enter Dollar/Term for players they wish to sign, up to their allowable roster/cap space.
2. Bids are calculated and compared for each player, and teams are ranked in order of priority from highest bid to lowest.
3. GM's are presented with a list of players they hold the highest bid for. You can sign or withdraw your bid on those players accordingly.
4. GM's would be presented with a new list of the players they hold the highest bid for, once the signed players and withdrawn bids are removed.
5. Repeat step 4 until all teams have finished signing players.

* Ties were resolved with teams being offered the player in waiver priority order. This was the most time consuming part of the process.
** Distributing and re-collecting the lists, marking players as signed, and managing ties, requires the most work.
*** It's possible to automate the majority of the process with this system, but the time period and manual parts require punctual responses and processing.

I'm fuzzy on how well the system worked, since I was simply adding onto it and troubleshooting as we went and was focused on the process. I recall running into several unexpected issues and having to do patchwork. I do remember breaking ties was like pulling teeth at times. We had a deadline for responses, but it still dragged out longer than necessary.

That's basically how it went. Resolving ties was why the process dragged on, but if we're not doing anything after the expansion draft, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
ricochetii liked this.
Mar. 30, 2019 at 12:03 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Not that it will actually matter, and there's about a 1 percent chance of this happening, but just to be prepared for anything, if a trade is posted at exactly 11:59 ET on Sunday, is it valid?
Mar. 30, 2019 at 12:17 a.m.
V5 PHI GM and BOG
Not that it will actually matter, and there's about a 1 percent chance of this happening, but just to be prepared for anything, if a trade is posted at exactly 11:59 ET on Sunday, is it valid?

RAIF if its before the 1st, it is valid
Apr. 1, 2019 at 12:45 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I put in the test vote for NJD/NYR ... just to confirm: Do i put my vote closer to whoever i think is better in that category? If i put it at 10, does that mean the away team is way better in that category? And 0 means home is way better, correct?
Apr. 1, 2019 at 12:49 p.m.
I put in the test vote for NJD/NYR ... just to confirm: Do i put my vote closer to whoever i think is better in that category? If i put it at 10, does that mean the away team is way better in that category? And 0 means home is way better, correct?

Yes
Apr. 1, 2019 at 2:02 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Playoff voting:
First note is that there's no information readily on hand for basing your voting on. Two rosters + checking player stats + voting form = 4 windows on PC and miserable flipping between pages on mobile.
At the very least, the active rosters should be on the voting form. Next would be scoring reviews for each team (monthly scoring thread stats).

Edit: Where did our discussion on playoff voting go?
Apr. 1, 2019 at 2:18 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Edited Apr. 1, 2019 at 2:32 p.m.
Playoff voting:
First note is that there's no information readily on hand for basing your voting on. Two rosters + checking player stats + voting form = 4 windows on PC and miserable flipping between pages on mobile.
At the very least, the active rosters should be on the voting form. Next would be scoring reviews for each team (monthly scoring thread stats).

Edit: Where did our discussion on playoff voting go?

We can discuss here, i just don't want to muck up the scoring thread just yet.

Good point about the rosters and the page flipping. I noticed that right away when i started the poll and had like 5 tabs open - people would likely guess than look something up if it's hard to find... I'll make some sort of "matchup table" that will include rosters/scoring details for each team once the matchups are finalized. Should at the very least provide a decent summary. Edit: this will require some effort from the GMs to organize their team page accordingly, because I will just pull the lineup from there.

Any thoughts about the weight of home ice advantage? Specifically, how to weight it if we stick with the current model that has 50 possible points.

Similarly, we can revisit the weight of our "luck" factor. Right now, I use a random number generator for a fraction between 0 and 1 and then split 5 points between the two teams based on the fraction. We could tweak this - I think I'll have to make it a little higher for it to be significant in more matchups.

Edit: would also like to hear opinions on whether or not to account for injuries
Apr. 1, 2019 at 3:21 p.m.
NBABound
I have decided to quit because of personal issues. I may be around time to time but it was fun while it lasted. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the GM Game and to those that caused gray hairs, but it is time.

Farewell,
#CapKnows
Daryl, rangersandislesfan, Max and 3 others liked this.
Apr. 1, 2019 at 3:22 p.m.
Quoting: Mr_cap
I have decided to quit because of personal issues. I may be around time to time but it was fun while it lasted. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the GM Game and to those that caused gray hairs, but it is time.

Farewell,
#CapKnows

good joke
Apr. 1, 2019 at 3:28 p.m.
Not yet trannycided

Good point about the rosters and the page flipping. I noticed that right away when i started the poll and had like 5 tabs open - people would likely guess than look something up if it's hard to find... I'll make some sort of "matchup table" that will include rosters/scoring details for each team once the matchups are finalized. Should at the very least provide a decent summary. Edit: this will require some effort from the GMs to organize their team page accordingly, because I will just pull the lineup from there.

Any thoughts about the weight of home ice advantage? Specifically, how to weight it if we stick with the current model that has 50 possible points.

Similarly, we can revisit the weight of our "luck" factor. Right now, I use a random number generator for a fraction between 0 and 1 and then split 5 points between the two teams based on the fraction. We could tweak this - I think I'll have to make it a little higher for it to be significant in more matchups.

Edit: would also like to hear opinions on whether or not to account for injuries

Yes, I believe injuries should be accounted for. That's how it works in real life, and that's how it's worked during the regular season. Some people have shied away from going after certain players because they were injured at the time.
A_K liked this.
Apr. 1, 2019 at 3:50 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Farewell,
#CapKnows

Thanks for all our arguments in the past wink

Even with all our arguments, it was great having you in the game. (I'm going to assume this isn't an April Fools joke.)
Apr. 1, 2019 at 4:54 p.m.
V5 PHI GM and BOG

Farewell,
#CapKnows

On Jah?
Apr. 1, 2019 at 5:04 p.m.
Go Habs Go

Sent you an email.

Injuries should be accounted for. We factored them into trade values all season, and a number of people actively worked to replace those players in their lineup.
Submit a lineup prior to each round, including which players are scratched and calculations/voting are done without injured/scratched players.

Could do a flat point addition or a slight percentage for home advantage. Out of 100, I'd say 3 points, or 3%. Out of 50, 2 points/% max.
Apr. 1, 2019 at 5:08 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Sent you an email.

Injuries should be accounted for. We factored them into trade values all season, and a number of people actively worked to replace those players in their lineup.
Submit a lineup prior to each round, including which players are scratched and calculations/voting are done without injured/scratched players.

Could do a flat point addition or a slight percentage for home advantage. Out of 100, I'd say 3 points, or 3%. Out of 50, 2 points/% max.

awesome, I'll send you the sheet that I just made to tally up votes, I think I can hybridize what you've put together so we have a good visual for each matchup (and the Google Forms can feed the voting data directly into the sheet, which is nice happy)
Apr. 1, 2019 at 5:09 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I also think we should consider players who aren't in the NHL IRL. It means there is a bit of a reason for having them.
Apr. 1, 2019 at 5:09 p.m.
V5 PHI GM and BOG
I also think we should consider players who aren't in the NHL IRL. It means there is a bit of a reason for having them.

How would we count them towards the scoring.
Apr. 1, 2019 at 5:12 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Gronk
How would we count them towards the scoring.

I'm talking about in playoff voting
Apr. 1, 2019 at 5:55 p.m.
V5 PHI GM and BOG
I'm talking about in playoff voting

Well if they arent in the NHL then how would they benefit your team regardless

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll