It was actually quite slow. The BOG had to sort out all the bids individually, which dragged the process on. If they'd be cool with doing it this way again, though, I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.
Was it V1 or V2 I did the sheets for?
I think it went something like this:
1. Each team gets a form listing the UFA's and can enter Dollar/Term for players they wish to sign, up to their allowable roster/cap space.
2. Bids are calculated and compared for each player, and teams are ranked in order of priority from highest bid to lowest.
3. GM's are presented with a list of players they hold the highest bid for. You can sign or withdraw your bid on those players accordingly.
4. GM's would be presented with a new list of the players they hold the highest bid for, once the signed players and withdrawn bids are removed.
5. Repeat step 4 until all teams have finished signing players.
* Ties were resolved with teams being offered the player in waiver priority order. This was the most time consuming part of the process.
** Distributing and re-collecting the lists, marking players as signed, and managing ties, requires the most work.
*** It's possible to automate the majority of the process with this system, but the time period and manual parts require punctual responses and processing.
I'm fuzzy on how well the system worked, since I was simply adding onto it and troubleshooting as we went and was focused on the process. I recall running into several unexpected issues and having to do patchwork. I do remember breaking ties was like pulling teeth at times. We had a deadline for responses, but it still dragged out longer than necessary.