SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game 2018-19

2018-19 Gm Game - Messages to the BOG/Commisioner

Apr. 9, 2019 at 9:03 p.m.
Go Habs Go
I think we determined last time that exposures were requirements that must be met in order to qualify to submit a list of protected players. So if you can't meet the requirements, you don't get to protect anybody (aside from NMC's, who are mandatory protections regardless because it's a player right and not something the team or league has control over).
There's no excuse for not meeting requirements, given how much notice we had and that there's still an opportunity to trade prior to expansion. Even then, if you are still stuck, you can negotiate with Quebec. If you are sending them a pick and/or specific player, you don't need to protect anyone. Protection lists are "up to", not "must protect exactly this number of players of certain types". You can send Quebec a pick for them to take Pucky McPuckface and submit a blank protection list if you want.
If you can't meet requirements in time, you shouldn't be a GM.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the issue with free agency timing for UFA's who also happen to have an NMC? Doesn't matter ...
Quoting: NHL.com
All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

"Continuing" means that NMC's set to expire do not count.

If you are still looking at July 1st as being illogical for a different reason, remember that we are pretending to follow the IRL schedule. We do things at different times so that the GM's have control and can do things like negotiate their own terms for contracts. That's part of the fun. If we simply follow IRL contracts it removes one of the big entertainment factors from our game.
The other reason for different timelines, is because we have to take time to process things and give people time to negotiate when they can't just make a phone call like IRL.
Apr. 9, 2019 at 11:23 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: ricochetii
I think we determined last time that exposures were requirements that must be met in order to qualify to submit a list of protected players. So if you can't meet the requirements, you don't get to protect anybody (aside from NMC's, who are mandatory protections regardless because it's a player right and not something the team or league has control over).
There's no excuse for not meeting requirements, given how much notice we had and that there's still an opportunity to trade prior to expansion. Even then, if you are still stuck, you can negotiate with Quebec. If you are sending them a pick and/or specific player, you don't need to protect anyone. Protection lists are "up to", not "must protect exactly this number of players of certain types". You can send Quebec a pick for them to take Pucky McPuckface and submit a blank protection list if you want.
If you can't meet requirements in time, you shouldn't be a GM.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the issue with free agency timing for UFA's who also happen to have an NMC? Doesn't matter ...

"Continuing" means that NMC's set to expire do not count.

If you are still looking at July 1st as being illogical for a different reason, remember that we are pretending to follow the IRL schedule. We do things at different times so that the GM's have control and can do things like negotiate their own terms for contracts. That's part of the fun. If we simply follow IRL contracts it removes one of the big entertainment factors from our game.
The other reason for different timelines, is because we have to take time to process things and give people time to negotiate when they can't just make a phone call like IRL.

Thanks Rico. I keep finding different results when I dig into the NMC protection details, but if you're saying this comes from nhl.com we will go with that. I'll correct my previous post and reiterate here: players with NMC that continue into the 2019-20 contract year must go on a team's protection list.

@flamesfan419
PrincessChloe liked this.
Apr. 10, 2019 at 12:06 a.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: A_K
Thanks Rico. I keep finding different results when I dig into the NMC protection details, but if you're saying this comes from nhl.com we will go with that. I'll correct my previous post and reiterate here: players with NMC that continue into the 2019-20 contract year must go on a team's protection list.

@flamesfan419

Sorry, I forgot to post the link: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

I tried to find an example case, but it seems one doesn't exist. Unless someone recalls a UFA with an NMC that I missed from the last draft. Capfriendly actually interprets it differently, so now I'm not so sure. A continuing contract is one which renews automatically. Since the contract and associated NMC clause will not renew automatically this year, I read that as exempting them from requiring protection.
Since I can't find a precedent or clarification, I can't say for sure that there isn't another interpretation.

I will say that for our purposes I believe those should be waived. They probably would be IRL as well anyway. It would take a special kind of a-hole to force a team to protect them if they plan to leave as a free agent and a special kind of idiot to force the team to protect them if they plan on re-signing.
I'd like an official ruling (IRL) regardless, but we might not get one until the end of next season.
A_K liked this.
Apr. 10, 2019 at 12:07 a.m.
Not yet trannycided
Quoting: ricochetii
Sorry, I forgot to post the link: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

I tried to find an example case, but it seems one doesn't exist. Unless someone recalls a UFA with an NMC that I missed from the last draft. Capfriendly actually interprets it differently, so now I'm not so sure. A continuing contract is one which renews automatically. Since the contract and associated NMC clause will not renew automatically this year, I read that as exempting them from requiring protection.
Since I can't find a precedent or clarification, I can't say for sure that there isn't another interpretation.

I will say that for our purposes I believe those should be waived. They probably would be IRL as well anyway. It would take a special kind of a-hole to force a team to protect them if they plan to leave as a free agent and a special kind of idiot to force the team to protect them if they plan on re-signing.
I'd like an official ruling (IRL) regardless, but we might not get one until the end of next season.

Tuukka Rask's NMC changed to an NTC from 2016-17 to 2017-18. He was not a force protect (though the Bruins protected him anyway for obvious reasons).
ricochetii liked this.
Apr. 10, 2019 at 12:53 a.m.
Go Habs Go
Edited Apr. 10, 2019 at 1:00 a.m.
Quoting: Icegirl
Tuukka Rask's NMC changed to an NTC from 2016-17 to 2017-18. He was not a force protect (though the Bruins protected him anyway for obvious reasons).

That would serve as proof of interpretation, but can you verify that he wasn't required to be protected?

Edit: Found this with a quick search: http://www.colliganhockey.com/nhl-expansion-rules-vegas/
It confirms how I interpreted it:

Why would any NMC not be “currently effective and continuing”?

Players and their respective teams have the flexibility to apply NMC or NTC protection to any year of the player’s contract, with one exception: A player is not eligible for a NMC or NTC in their contract until they are eligible for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency (7 accrued seasons or 27 years of age). That means a player can sign a contract that has a NMC or NTC take effect partway through the contract for the season that they would have otherwise become eligible for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency.

Examples: Cam Talbot has a NMC in 2016-17 and 2017-18, and a Modified NTC in 2018-19. He would need to be protected by the Edmonton Oilers because he has a NMC that is “currently effective and continuing at the time of the Expansion Draft”.

Tuukka Rask has a NMC through 2016-17, and a Modified NTC in 2017-18 and beyond. He would not have to be protected by the Boston Bruins.
A_K and PrincessChloe liked this.
Apr. 10, 2019 at 6:32 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
Here's a list of non-UFAs whose NMCs become NTCs in the offseason:
David Krejci
David Backes
Andrej Sekera
Alex Goligoski
Johnny Boychuk

Not the biggest list, but potentially a big deal for the teams with these players. So @A_K, here is the $1,000,000 question: Are these players force-protects?
A_K liked this.
Apr. 10, 2019 at 6:42 p.m.
David Krejci
David Backes
Andrej Sekera
Alex Goligoski
Johnny Boychuk

Not the biggest list, but potentially a big deal for the teams with these players. So @A_K, here is the $1,000,000 question: Are these players force-protects?

I believe that we agreed any player with a cause during the expansion draft was dependent on the clause from the prior season. So, even though these guys are turning into NTCs, since we are basing off the previous season they will all be force-protects.
Apr. 10, 2019 at 6:42 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
David Krejci
David Backes
Andrej Sekera
Alex Goligoski
Johnny Boychuk

The Boychuk debate lol
Apr. 10, 2019 at 6:43 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
David Krejci
David Backes
Andrej Sekera
Alex Goligoski
Johnny Boychuk

Nope. Has to be full NMC for 2018-19 and 2019-20 seasons to be must-protect
ricochetii, l9guysports, Max and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 10, 2019 at 6:49 p.m.
Go Habs Go

Based on interpretation of the rules, anecdotal evidence, and common sense, those players should be treated as if their NMC doesn't apply for the purpose of expansion.

Bo disagrees however, so the BOG needs to render an official decision. First question should be, is there evidence that expiring NMCs had to be protected during Vegas expansion IRL?
Apr. 10, 2019 at 6:50 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
Quoting: Bo53Horvat
I believe that we agreed any player with a cause during the expansion draft was dependent on the clause from the prior season. So, even though these guys are turning into NTCs, since we are basing off the previous season they will all be force-protects.

Bo vs. AK. Fight! Fight! Fight!
Apr. 10, 2019 at 7:18 p.m.
Lets Go Blues

I failed to read ahead before posting my answer. But Rico's post tells you everything you need to know
l9guysports liked this.
Apr. 10, 2019 at 7:19 p.m.
I failed to read ahead before posting my answer. But Rico's post tells you everything you need to know

Big tuff lmao
A_K, PrincessChloe and l9guysports liked this.
Apr. 10, 2019 at 8:27 p.m.
CFGM Game Moderator

My money's on the kid from Canada, but my heart is with the scrappy young American
l9guysports, Gronk, Bo53Horvat and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 10, 2019 at 9:47 p.m.
NBABound
Quoting: flamesfan419
My money's on the kid from Canada, but my heart is with the scrappy young American

but what does this have to do with me?
Apr. 10, 2019 at 9:50 p.m.
Quoting: Mr_cap
but what does this have to do with me?

You said Chicago/Montreal were gonna make the playoffs, so nothing? (gottemmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm)
Apr. 12, 2019 at 2:57 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Colorado Avalanche

Just making you all aware that I’m heading out tonight and won’t be active until Sunday evening.

I’m not missing much but thought I’d give you the heads up.

Any trade inquires can be directed towards @McRanteskog for now.
Apr. 12, 2019 at 3:48 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
This was buried somewhere in here, but to recap, here's the list of players with career-ending injuries that will make them exempt from expansion:

Dave Bolland (OTT)
David Clarkson (VGK)
Derek Dorsett (VAN)
Johan Franzen (DET)
Nathan Horton (MIN)
Marian Hossa (CHI)
Clarke MacArthur (OTT)
Henrik Zetterberg (NJD)

Possible career-ending injuries:
Marian Gaborik (OTT)
Ryan Kesler (ANA)
Apr. 16, 2019 at 12:01 p.m.
I wanted to know what the procedure or game plan will be moving forward for the 2019/20 season?

I see Bolts has updated a 2019/20 roster with his ready to sign RFA's coming up in July 1st of 2019, and wanted to know if all the teams should do the same? I'm assuming there is an agreed upon cap limit increase for the 2019/20 season ($82m ??) and any UFA's remaining (that isn't using the 1 UFA rights to sign pre-July 1st, 2019) will be in the Free Agent Pool accordingly, right?

Once that's completed, do we submit the protected players from expansion draft and reveal the 2 Forwards, 1 Defender, 1 Goalie qualified players for meeting the expansion requirements?

I understand if playoff teams are keeping their rosters until the voting is finished for their respective exit rounds, but since 15 teams (including mine) are not in the playoffs, if this is something we should consider in advance?
Apr. 16, 2019 at 12:40 p.m.
CFGM Game Moderator
Quoting: Pross
I wanted to know what the procedure or game plan will be moving forward for the 2019/20 season?

I see Bolts has updated a 2019/20 roster with his ready to sign RFA's coming up in July 1st of 2019, and wanted to know if all the teams should do the same? I'm assuming there is an agreed upon cap limit increase for the 2019/20 season ($82m ??) and any UFA's remaining (that isn't using the 1 UFA rights to sign pre-July 1st, 2019) will be in the Free Agent Pool accordingly, right?

Once that's completed, do we submit the protected players from expansion draft and reveal the 2 Forwards, 1 Defender, 1 Goalie qualified players for meeting the expansion requirements?

I understand if playoff teams are keeping their rosters until the voting is finished for their respective exit rounds, but since 15 teams (including mine) are not in the playoffs, if this is something we should consider in advance?

My understanding is we still have about a month or slightly more before things start to lead into season 2 of v3.
BOG will let us know when we need to publish our new team pages **But that doesn't stop anyone from creating it now JUST DO NOT PUBLISH IT YET**
I've started my page and will finish once further signings are made so I can insert the correct info.
Big thing to remember is getting all you draft picks corrected on the new page to match exactly what you have now and in future years.

Salary cap has been set at 83M for next season.

If you missed it, here's a link to the schedule and where we're at in game right now
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NZiWKBXuErAxWGzhJRHEQawTHS5K1KljvCqCUI7CU1w/edit#gid=0

Hope even a small part of this helps answer some of your thoughts
Pross liked this.
Apr. 16, 2019 at 3:12 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Are we doing awards after the end of the season?
Apr. 16, 2019 at 3:28 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Are we doing awards after the end of the season?

Sure, everyone should drop a comment with categories they'd like to see and I can throw together a poll.
Apr. 16, 2019 at 3:29 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Sure, everyone should drop a comment with categories they'd like to see and I can throw together a poll.

I'm sure there was a list in the rules doc but I couldn't find it.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 2:34 p.m.
(This claim depends on the status of a couple of other players. Still waiting on a verdict.)

Minnesota Wild
Valtteri Filppula @ $675,000 x 2 years (contract starts this year)

Yeah this isnt legal
PrincessChloe liked this.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 4:44 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Why are people recreating teams now?
I'm wondering if it's better to do it now or wait until RL free agency but I can't decide if it makes a difference since RL things end up reflecting regardless.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll