Forums/Armchair-GM

Legit Smartest Moves for TO

Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 11, 2018
Published: Jun. 11, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
TO Should really only make 2 moves.

A 2nd and either Nielson, Borgman or Rosen to Vancouver for Tanev.

Trade Gardiner to a team that needs a puck moving defencemen for a 2nd or more if you can get it.

Sign Riley Nash to a reasonable contract for a guy expected to play 3rd or 4th line centre.

The other two trades are just cash dump and a way to make room for younger players, hence the pittance in return.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,150,000
1$1,250,000
1$1,000,000
2$2,000,000
8$7,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
Trades
VAN
  1. Borgman, Andreas
  2. 2018 2nd round pick (SJS)
TOR
  1. 2018 2nd round pick (EDM)
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (EDM)
TOR
  1. 2020 7th round pick (NYI)
TOR
  1. 2019 6th round pick (CGY)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$80,000,000$62,695,833$2,550,000$4,550,000$17,304,167

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
UFA - 6
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$1,150,000$1,150,000
C, LW, RW
RFA
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,450,000$4,450,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 11, 2018 at 1:36 p.m.
A. Why would you want to move Gardiner? He put up 50+ points last season. He's incredible, and I think his defensive game gets a terrible wrap because of one bad series and an atrocious game 7
B. A lot of people are saying that their team should sign Riley Nash, so IDK if it will be easy to get him, and it's totally possible he could not work out as this season could have been an outlier. I would be happy to see him signed to this deal, but he may look for more money elsewhere
C. I've heard the price for Tanev would be a bit higher, but not sure. That trade may make a lot of sense for Vancouver
D. I agree that Leafs could try to solve their RHD problems from within with Carrick and Holl. At least I think the should try it
Jun. 11, 2018 at 1:39 p.m.
sorry I lose all credibility for anyone that thinks rosen is a better option then Gardiner
Jun. 11, 2018 at 1:45 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: MarKadMar
A. Why would you want to move Gardiner? He put up 50+ points last season. He's incredible, and I think his defensive game gets a terrible wrap because of one bad series and an atrocious game 7
B. A lot of people are saying that their team should sign Riley Nash, so IDK if it will be easy to get him, and it's totally possible he could not work out as this season could have been an outlier. I would be happy to see him signed to this deal, but he may look for more money elsewhere
C. I've heard the price for Tanev would be a bit higher, but not sure. That trade may make a lot of sense for Vancouver
D. I agree that Leafs could try to solve their RHD problems from within with Carrick and Holl. At least I think the should try it

I don't think Gardiner is terrible, I think he is expendable. He scores and moves the puck, pretty good in transition and awesome in the offensive zone. However, he is extremely soft along the boards. It does not take much to strip him from the puck in the defensive zone and he's not hard to beat in front of the net. I think Dermott will be better, possibly within 2 years, he's a better skater than Gardiner and his offensive game is almost as good, plus he makes safer decisions more often than not. So trade Gardiner for future assets and then move Hainsey to the left side.

Riley Nash is a solid depth centre, nothing more. He had a terrific year but I think he'll have trouble replicating that again. If he wants more than 2.5, then no chance would I sign him.

I don't think that Holl or Carrack are the RHD solution, more like stopgaps until Liljegren is ready for full time NHL work.
Jun. 11, 2018 at 1:48 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Cs_7
sorry I lose all credibility for anyone that thinks rosen is a better option then Gardiner

I don't think that Rosen is better than Gardiner, at least not yet. Maybe he'll be better in a few years but I think Dermott is and will be better than Gardiner. Or at least good enough to make him expendable.
Jun. 11, 2018 at 1:54 p.m.
Tanevs asking price is way higher, maybe torontos 1st since it will be a late first. not for a second and a depth guy. or even Liljegren and van puts in a 4th or maybe 3rd
Jun. 11, 2018 at 2:01 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: LoganOllivier
I don't think that Rosen is better than Gardiner, at least not yet. Maybe he'll be better in a few years but I think Dermott is and will be better than Gardiner. Or at least good enough to make him expendable.

Let's not get carried away with Rosen just because he had a great game 5 in the AHL finals. He's an AHLer at age 24 for reason. He's certainly questionable to NHLer and certainly questionable to be any sort of difference maker in the NHL. Good luck to him and the Leafs, I hope he is a competent NHL Dmen starting next season.
Why give McIllerney away for nothing? Rather have in in the minors in case Sparks fails. He doesn't hurt the cap even in the minors though he would have to clear waivers (and all the implications of a team that claims him)
If Nash is good NHLer centre for 3rd or 4th line duty, he would get more than 2.5m.
Canucks would want more in a trade, though I'm not saying the Leafs should give more. Best thing for to happen for the Canucks if they want to trade Tanev is to get him playing and be healthy. He would get more in a trade if healthy and good at TDL.
Jun. 11, 2018 at 2:03 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Codyymd16
Tanevs asking price is way higher, maybe torontos 1st since it will be a late first. not for a second and a depth guy. or even Liljegren and van puts in a 4th or maybe 3rd

If Dubas gives up Liljegren for anything other than Doughty, he should be fired. Tanev is a defensive defenceman, Liljegren would instantly become Vancouvers second best prospect, you don't give up a blue chipper right handed defence prospect for Tanev. You may be right on the 1st rounder though, its a steep price to pay for Tanev though, if Vancouver wants a 1st, I would talk to Winnipeg about Myers, or Carolina about Pesce. Tanev has had a lot of injuries over the past number of years.
Jun. 11, 2018 at 2:08 p.m.
Analytics are good
Quoting: MarKadMar

The main reasons the Leafs should look to trade Gardiner is because his contract is up after the 18-19 season and he will 100% get more than 4.05mil, and the second reason is that he can't play defense. He's horrendous in his own end and gives away the puck on a regular basis. The Leafs already have an OFD in Reilly, who's younger and better in every aspect of the game than Gardiner
Jun. 11, 2018 at 2:09 p.m.
If Dubas gives up Liljegren for anything other than Doughty, he should be fired. Tanev is a defensive defenceman, Liljegren would instantly become Vancouvers second best prospect, you don't give up a blue chipper right handed defence prospect for Tanev. You may be right on the 1st rounder though, its a steep price to pay for Tanev though, if Vancouver wants a 1st, I would talk to Winnipeg about Myers, or Carolina about Pesce. Tanev has had a lot of injuries over the past number of years.

Lil is overvalued, and thats why i said van could throw in something to make it worth their while, and injuries is an infection in vancouver, im sure he would be fine if he didnt play in van. also TO doesnt need another offensive guy, they need someone that can shut down the other teams top players
Jun. 11, 2018 at 2:09 p.m.
Analytics are good

LOL you're stupid if you think Toronto is giving up Liljegren for an injury prone DFD
Jun. 11, 2018 at 2:17 p.m.
Quoting: PenGoater99
LOL you're stupid if you think Toronto is giving up Liljegren for an injury prone DFD

I didnt just say Tanev for Liljegren straight up, van would have to throw in something else too, Tanev is something they desperately need, and toronto has nothing else to give up that vancouver would listen to
Jun. 11, 2018 at 2:30 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I didnt just say Tanev for Liljegren straight up, van would have to throw in something else too, Tanev is something they desperately need, and toronto has nothing else to give up that vancouver would listen to

You are so wrong that the Leafs "desperately need" Tanev. Vancouver fans seem to be the desperate ones, trying to pawn off Tanev the Leafs....and only the team that someone Tanev is destined to be traded too.
Leafs were 12th GAA, so what's the urgency of getting a part timer (not his fault) Tanev. Best thing for the Canucks to do is hope Tanev is healthy and playing well and trade him at the TDL, Then there might a team that is willingly to overpay for his services.

Think Liljegren is overvalued, wow. Youngest player still of junior age, playing in the AHL. He would be the number prospect of the Canucks and maybe even be # 1 after this years draft.
Jun. 11, 2018 at 2:31 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: palhal
Let's not get carried away with Rosen just because he had a great game 5 in the AHL finals. He's an AHLer at age 24 for reason. He's certainly questionable to NHLer and certainly questionable to be any sort of difference maker in the NHL. Good luck to him and the Leafs, I hope he is a competent NHL Dmen starting next season.
Why give McIllerney away for nothing? Rather have in in the minors in case Sparks fails. He doesn't hurt the cap even in the minors though he would have to clear waivers (and all the implications of a team that claims him)
If Nash is good NHLer centre for 3rd or 4th line duty, he would get more than 2.5m.
Canucks would want more in a trade, though I'm not saying the Leafs should give more. Best thing for to happen for the Canucks if they want to trade Tanev is to get him playing and be healthy. He would get more in a trade if healthy and good at TDL.

Again, not saying Rosen is THE solution, Borgman I think is more NHL ready, but I traded him to get Tanev. In all honesty Rosen would likely be a better pick up for Vancouver anyways. He's a better puck mover than Borgman and has become pretty much the top guy for the Marlies. Either way, my point is Gardiner is expendable because Dermott is really good. So get assets for Gardiner that can help replenish the cupboards.
Jun. 11, 2018 at 2:35 p.m.
Banned
Lil is overvalued, and thats why i said van could throw in something to make it worth their while, and injuries is an infection in vancouver, im sure he would be fine if he didnt play in van. also TO doesnt need another offensive guy, they need someone that can shut down the other teams top players

Yes we need a defenceman to help Rielly shutdown the oppositions best players. I agree on that point. You lost me on why Liljegren is overvalued. He was projected as a possible 1st overall pick last year before Mono basically wiped out his season. He was a steal and will be a very good NHL. Read about what Dermott thinks about Liljegren, says he is definitely going to be a better player than himself. Liljegren will be a 4 dman, could be Toronto's best defencemen in 5 years. Don't trade him unless he's part of an elite defenceman trade.
Jun. 11, 2018 at 2:36 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Again, not saying Rosen is THE solution, Borgman I think is more NHL ready, but I traded him to get Tanev. In all honesty Rosen would likely be a better pick up for Vancouver anyways. He's a better puck mover than Borgman and has become pretty much the top guy for the Marlies. Either way, my point is Gardiner is expendable because Dermott is really good. So get assets for Gardiner that can help replenish the cupboards.

I wouldn't be so desperate to "replenish the cupboards", because the goal of the Leafs are to win. Just looking at LHD this season, it's Reilly, Dermot. and Gardiner. If Borgman and Rosen are projected to NHL ready, yea Gardiner could be traded. Too bad Borgman got hurt late in the season. I liked him as Leaf and Marlie, Would have great to have him have the AHL playoff experience. Even at that Dermot might even be the right side next season if no help is coming for a RHD.
Jun. 11, 2018 at 2:42 p.m.
Banned

Vancouver has way more needs than TO. Yes Tanev is something Toronto needs, however, selling the farm for defensive defenceman isn't a good idea. Remember that time Edmonton traded Hall for Larson. Tanev is less than Larson, not by much but still he's less than Larson. Edmonton got destroyed in that trade, Dubas isn't an old school hockey guy desperately trying to look smarter than he is. (Chairelli thinks he knows better than everyone else, he does not) There are a lot of assets Toronto has that would be of greater value to Vancouver than Tanev is. Honestly, if I am Dubas, I only make the move if its fair. Vancouver comes in asking for a 1st and Brown, I hang up the phone. I'd rather hope for progress from the young players and give Carrack or Holl a chance to play more than overpay for an upgrade that won't be as good as Liljegren will be in 3 years.
Jun. 11, 2018 at 2:48 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: palhal
I wouldn't be so desperate to "replenish the cupboards", because the goal of the Leafs are to win. Just looking at LHD this season, it's Reilly, Dermot. and Gardiner. If Borgman and Rosen are projected to NHL ready, yea Gardiner could be traded. Too bad Borgman got hurt late in the season. I liked him as Leaf and Marlie, Would have great to have him have the AHL playoff experience. Even at that Dermot might even be the right side next season if no help is coming for a RHD.

Borgman has played most of the playoffs, he's a solid defence prospect. He would be more than fine as the 3rd Left D guy. Where the Leafs an upgrade is at RHD, where really they only have Zietsev as a legit option. I think Hainsey played pretty well last season but he should be LHD on the 3rd pairing. That leaves 2 spots on the RHD that we need to fill. The new Russian kid could win the 3rd pairing RHD job and if the Leafs pick up one of Tanev, Myers, Pesce or Trouba (That is a long shot), then they will have a much better defence than last season. May lose a few points with Gardiner gone but they'll be much better defensively and cheaper as well.
Jun. 11, 2018 at 2:49 p.m.
Yes we need a defenceman to help Rielly shutdown the oppositions best players. I agree on that point. You lost me on why Liljegren is overvalued. He was projected as a possible 1st overall pick last year before Mono basically wiped out his season. He was a steal and will be a very good NHL. Read about what Dermott thinks about Liljegren, says he is definitely going to be a better player than himself. Liljegren will be a 4 dman, could be Toronto's best defencemen in 5 years. Don't trade him unless he's part of an elite defenceman trade.

okay that sounds better, ive just seen people wanting Karlsson for him XD. what about Tanev and a late first? cause toronto is in desperate need of a defenseman and tanev would be a great fit.
Jun. 11, 2018 at 2:54 p.m.
Vancouver has way more needs than TO. Yes Tanev is something Toronto needs, however, selling the farm for defensive defenceman isn't a good idea. Remember that time Edmonton traded Hall for Larson. Tanev is less than Larson, not by much but still he's less than Larson. Edmonton got destroyed in that trade, Dubas isn't an old school hockey guy desperately trying to look smarter than he is. (Chairelli thinks he knows better than everyone else, he does not) There are a lot of assets Toronto has that would be of greater value to Vancouver than Tanev is. Honestly, if I am Dubas, I only make the move if its fair. Vancouver comes in asking for a 1st and Brown, I hang up the phone. I'd rather hope for progress from the young players and give Carrack or Holl a chance to play more than overpay for an upgrade that won't be as good as Liljegren will be in 3 years.

But, if toronto is in that win know period, who would be of more value? and also tanev would be worth a toronto 1st for sure, not brown as well, but just the first straight up cause itll be 20-30th overall anyways
Jun. 11, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.
VAN says "no way".

EDM says, "lol we'll do this all day!"

+ Why are you moving McIlhinney for a bag of pucks?
Jun. 11, 2018 at 3:09 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Vanderm
VAN says "no way".

EDM says, "lol we'll do this all day!"

+ Why are you moving McIlhinney for a bag of pucks?

Backup goalies aren't hard to find really. And Sparks deserves a shot.
Jun. 11, 2018 at 3:12 p.m.
Backup goalies aren't hard to find really. And Sparks deserves a shot.

Don't broke what ain't fix, mama always say. You've got a known commodity on one hand, and a guy who is "ready" on the other. Andersen is elite, but what if he misses an extended period of time? TOR will be in better shape with the guy who has proven he can do it, at least for another year or two.
Jun. 11, 2018 at 3:21 p.m.
Banned
But, if toronto is in that win know period, who would be of more value? and also tanev would be worth a toronto 1st for sure, not brown as well, but just the first straight up cause itll be 20-30th overall anyways

Toronto is in a win every year for the next 8 years mode. Their 3 best players will all be locked in for 8 years by next season. (7 in the case of Nylander, I really hope they don't bridge deal him, cause that is the worst. ) While Matthews, Nylander and Marner are on 8 year deals, the core is set, what they need to do is constantly draft well to replenish the support players.

Let's say Johnsson scores 25 goals this year and the same next year. He's likely going to be on a 2 year show me what you got deal, since he is RFA currently. After those two decent seasons, he'll want over 5 million on a long term deal. If I was in charge I'd trade him for big assets from a team needing offence and draft a replacement. That's how you always win in the cap era. Lock up your core through their 20's and draft talent to fill holes when people price themselves off your team. Kapanen becomes the next JVR and then we trade him for a big return and plug the next guy up into his position.

Pittsburgh operates like this, Neal scores a tonne of goals and they trade him. Kessel score 92 points and they are talking about trading him, he'll bring an NHL ready prospect and likely a 1st round pick from someone else and Pittsburgh will replace him and still be awesome and have more assets coming down the line. Constant contention.

The other option is the Chicago way, under pay your young core and overpay roll players. Use draft picks to obtain reinforcements and then in 7 years, you may have won the cup a couple times but you have no prospects coming and your core is old and declining.
Jun. 11, 2018 at 3:23 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Vanderm
Don't broke what ain't fix, mama always say. You've got a known commodity on one hand, and a guy who is "ready" on the other. Andersen is elite, but what if he misses an extended period of time? TOR will be in better shape with the guy who has proven he can do it, at least for another year or two.

But Mac hasn't proven he can carry the load, he's been a great back up but I don't trust him carrying the mail if Andersen goes down. Sparks doesn't get much praise but he was far and above better than Thatcher Demko this season in the AHL and Demko is highly touted. Why not let Sparks prove he can play in the NHL and give Andersen a rest.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll