SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Pittsburgh Penguins

2018-2019: Defensemen

Jun. 14, 2018 at 10:45 a.m.
An area the Penguins should improve on during the offseason is defensemen.

Kris Letang had issues with turnovers and giveaways, which led to goals against and games lost.

Matt Hunwick played barely.

I would like to see the Penguins improve with puck clearing defensemen who are more attentive and are fast.

How could the Penguins improve with their defensemen?
Jun. 27, 2018 at 1:15 p.m.
The Penguins have one less defenseman to worry about. Matt Hunwick was traded with Conor Sheary to the Buffalo Sabres for a 2019 fourth round draft pick.
Jun. 27, 2018 at 3:32 p.m.
i would like to see a few depth defenseman added i still think pens should go after faulk. or bean from carolina. or calvin de haan. those are the only 2 i really like. that i think the pens could get.
Jun. 27, 2018 at 3:55 p.m.
its thin pickings and 28 out of 31 teams looking for dmen. a.sustr, r.murphy, j. johnson, r. murray, a. emelin, f. claesson, d. siemens, t enstrom, n. holden, l. sbisa, c. de haan, t. hickey, B. davidson.. not a whole lot out there for dmen. 4 of this list i like and all 4 i think will want more money then the cap can take. work some magic jimmy boy...
Jun. 27, 2018 at 11:20 p.m.
If Letang did not screw around during the regular season and the postseason, the Penguins would not have to worry about defensemen.
Jun. 28, 2018 at 3:10 a.m.
Edited Jun. 28, 2018 at 3:25 a.m.
Quoting: IceDragon
If Letang did not screw around during the regular season and the postseason, the Penguins would not have to worry about defensemen.[/quo

Letang's was not the sole reason we got eliminated. He contributed to it, but he was hardly the main problem. The main problem was that Malkin, Kessel, Simon, Hags, Dumo, ZAR, and Brassard all got hurt or played injured so they weren't as effective. We had very little offense outside of Sid and Jake. Letang still played pretty well this year. He had a couple memorable gaffs, but still played at an incredibly high level. Our lack of depth on defense was exposed this year. Our top 4 was solid still pretty solid but our bottom pairing was not. We actually had to break up Oleksiak/Ruhwedel because they were an atrocity to defense late in the Philly series. We weren't nearly as deep this year as we were in the prior 2 seasons. Schultz was our 7th d against san jose. The group of Daley, Cole, and Hainsey from cup 2 was significantly better than Oleksiak, Ruhwedel, and Hunwick. We supposedly have signed Jack Johnson to make us a little bit deeper(although I'm not sold on him being the solution) and we should look to upgrade our 7th d from Ruhwedel too.
IceDragon liked this.
Jun. 28, 2018 at 7:28 a.m.
ugh jack johnson. he isnt exactly a burner on ice. i would have preferred de haan or faulk.. maata is best i think in 6-7 slot with olesiak.. that takes care of 1 dman if true.. also looks like sprong is definately staying. pens havent given up on him. no idea how cole would feel about coming back for another run with the pens. i hope gmjr is able to get 1 more depth dman. maybe with olesiak will blossom under gonchar schultz certainly did. with the exception of calen addison i have not heard of any wow factors coming from developement camp.. any one have any good new from that front ??
Jun. 28, 2018 at 12:14 p.m.
Quoting: pensfan13
Letang's was not the sole reason we got eliminated. He contributed to it, but he was hardly the main problem. The main problem was that Malkin, Kessel, Simon, Hags, Dumo, ZAR, and Brassard all got hurt or played injured so they weren't as effective. We had very little offense outside of Sid and Jake. Letang still played pretty well this year. He had a couple memorable gaffs, but still played at an incredibly high level. Our lack of depth on defense was exposed this year. Our top 4 was solid still pretty solid but our bottom pairing was not. We actually had to break up Oleksiak/Ruhwedel because they were an atrocity to defense late in the Philly series. We weren't nearly as deep this year as we were in the prior 2 seasons. Schultz was our 7th d against san jose. The group of Daley, Cole, and Hainsey from cup 2 was significantly better than Oleksiak, Ruhwedel, and Hunwick. We supposedly have signed Jack Johnson to make us a little bit deeper(although I'm not sold on him being the solution) and we should look to upgrade our 7th d from Ruhwedel too.

If Cole could be brought back, bring him back.

I am undecided on Jack Johnson.
Jun. 28, 2018 at 3:43 p.m.
Jack Johnson has been pretty poor throughout his career. The sample size is pretty big at this point too because he's played for 11 years. When he's one the ice, his opposition shoots more and scores more than his own team. To be fair, he receives heavy d-zone starts and plays against high quality players. I think the money could have been better spent elsewhere.
Jul. 1, 2018 at 4:08 p.m.
jack Johnson has joined the Penguins. He has the opportunity to benefit from better coaching, better teammates, and a better system to produce, win, and succeed.
Feb. 26, 2019 at 5:25 p.m.
Not so Fasth
Quoting: IceDragon
jack Johnson has joined the Penguins. He has the opportunity to benefit from better coaching, better teammates, and a better system to produce, win, and succeed.

He's not good
gregb569 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll