SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

My (Maybe) last prediction before draft (Faulk,Darling,JVR)

Created by: hawksfan88
Team: 2018-19 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 14, 2018
Published: Jun. 14, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
My ideal situation would be to trade for Faulk without giving up the 8th overall or Saad. I'd take Wahlstrom at 8 because I think he's a pure goal scorer and can make an immediate impact. If he's gone then we draft a dman cuz we need one.

But life's not perfect so i'll cave on the 8th overall to get Faulk. Then i think we can trade Murphy and the 27th to move into the top 15 range (NJ at 17?) to get that young dman we so desperately need, even though he won't help immediately. Then we'll have some cap space to makea slight splash (JVR and Wingles baby). So in this situation the Hawks are playing for both now and the future
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
2$1,250,000
2$1,700,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$6,000,000
2$1,200,000
Trades
CHI
  1. Darling, Scott ($1,150,000 retained)
  2. Faulk, Justin
  3. 2019 3rd round pick (CAR)
CHI
  1. 2018 1st round pick (NJD)
  2. 2018 7th round pick (NJD)
NJD
  1. Murphy, Connor
  2. 2018 1st round pick (NSH)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$80,000,000$69,146,795$1,232,500$4,757,500$10,853,205
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, C
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
RW, LW
UFA
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$872,500$872,500
LD
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 2
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$650,000$650,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 14, 2018 at 11:46 p.m.
No way would I do that. Before the Saad rumors, the talk was the #27 pick and a good prospect or player (thinking AA) for Faulk. Then it was Saad for Faulk and something back from Carolina...likely a 4th round pick or prospect. The #8 pick is robbery for Carolina.
Jun. 14, 2018 at 11:55 p.m.
Hurricane Waddell
Canes probably say yes I think. However, don’t think you’re getting JVR for 6x6M. He will sign for more.
Jun. 14, 2018 at 11:58 p.m.
I put math in hockey
Setup's not bad for CHI, but there are some issues.
1. You DON'T want to give JVR that term. The guy's almost thirty, so six mil a year for that long WILL end badly. He's good, easily worth 6 million, but age is gonna make the last few years of that contract look real nasty.
2. 3 mil a year is still a lot for a backup, especially with a starter who's historically been as good as Crawford. Probably better to stick with what you've got and just hope he stays healthy, given the cap situation.
However, my big complaint is that trade. IMO it's a hard no from CAR. Here's the thing:
1. Hossa retired. He's never coming off of LTIR. So there's no value for CAR there.
2. CAR isn't a rebuilding team. They're a goalie away from being great and should know it. Therefore, the picks/prospect won't interest them much.
3. Faulk could pull WAY more than that in a return. From BUF, they could get Lehner+ a solid piece easily, maybe even go for O'Reilly if they throw in Hanifin/TVR. That would fix the goalie issue while potentially adding some scoring as well. From EDM, they could get Klefbom, freeing up Hanifin to trade for a goalie and setting up a top-4 of Slavin-Pesce and Klefbom-TVR. That's absurdly good. No reason to sell him for spare parts, a pick and some prospects, especially if they're retaining salary on Darling.
CAR won't make that trade.
Jun. 15, 2018 at 12:17 a.m.
hawksfan88
Edited Jun. 15, 2018 at 12:27 a.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
No way would I do that. Before the Saad rumors, the talk was the #27 pick and a good prospect or player (thinking AA) for Faulk. Then it was Saad for Faulk and something back from Carolina...likely a 4th round pick or prospect. The #8 pick is robbery for Carolina.

I really wish that were the case, but in no world do I see Carolina trading Faulk for a late first rounder. They need something really good back (Saad or the 8th overall) and I'm pretty sure that the asking price was Saad plus for Faulk, not the other way around.

Look back at past trades for young right handed dmen:
Dougie Hamilton for a 1st (15th overall) and two seconds
Adam Larsson for Taylor freaking Hall

Obviously those are different guys in different situations but the Canes would be stupid to trade Faulk for the 27th pick, even though I would love it
Jun. 15, 2018 at 12:26 a.m.
hawksfan88
Quoting: The_Ultimate_Pielord
1. You DON'T want to give JVR that term. The guy's almost thirty, so six mil a year for that long WILL end badly. He's good, easily worth 6 million, but age is gonna make the last few years of that contract look real nasty.
2. 3 mil a year is still a lot for a backup, especially with a starter who's historically been as good as Crawford. Probably better to stick with what you've got and just hope he stays healthy, given the cap situation.
However, my big complaint is that trade. IMO it's a hard no from CAR. Here's the thing:
1. Hossa retired. He's never coming off of LTIR. So there's no value for CAR there.
2. CAR isn't a rebuilding team. They're a goalie away from being great and should know it. Therefore, the picks/prospect won't interest them much.
3. Faulk could pull WAY more than that in a return. From BUF, they could get Lehner+ a solid piece easily, maybe even go for O'Reilly if they throw in Hanifin/TVR. That would fix the goalie issue while potentially adding some scoring as well. From EDM, they could get Klefbom, freeing up Hanifin to trade for a goalie and setting up a top-4 of Slavin-Pesce and Klefbom-TVR. That's absurdly good. No reason to sell him for spare parts, a pick and some prospects, especially if they're retaining salary on Darling.

I see the point you're trying to make but this isn't just Faulk for spare parts. I wouldn't call the 8th overall pick a "spare part". The Canes could very well be close to the playoffs but they are still looking to get younger, hence why they're putting guys such as Faulk and Skinner OTB. They don't want to pay these guys next contracts once they hit their mid/late twenties. By adding the 8th overall pick, they could be getting their next Faulk right there with Bouchard/Hughes/Boqvist/Dobson and all those guys will be ready probably the following season when they can really start to make a charge.

And to be honest, Robin Lehner is not that good. Albeit he would be better than Ward or Darling but not by much.
Jun. 15, 2018 at 12:36 a.m.
Quoting: hawksfan88
I really wish that were the case, but in no world do I see Carolina trading Faulk for a late first rounder. They need something really good back (Saad or the 8th overall) and I'm pretty sure that the asking price was Saad plus for Faulk, not the other way around.

Look back at past trades for young right handed dmen:
Dougie Hamilton for a 1st (15th overall) and two seconds
Adam Larsson for Taylor freaking Hall

Obviously those are different guys in different situations but the Canes would be stupid to trade Faulk for the 27th pick, even though I would love it

No, all reports have said it's Faulk plus for Saad.
Jun. 15, 2018 at 12:37 a.m.
I put math in hockey
Hawksfan, the Canes don't need the 8th overall pick. Yes they would like to get younger, but there's no reason to get someone who isn't NHL-ready other than as a window-expanding prospect (which isn't worth a core piece). And nothing else in that trade makes sense for them.

Faulk's young enough that they don't need to look for the next one: at 24, he's probably just entering his prime. They want to draft the next Faulk about 4 years from now so that their primes won't overlap.

Wasting young years of young stars is a bad idea. They should be trying to win this year, not next.

IMO the reason they put almost everyone on the market was a philosophy of "Anyone's expendable to deal with the goalie issue." This is a good philosophy, as the team's deep enough that they can deal nearly anyone to patch the hole in net.

Lehner's GSAA and dSv% were near league average in a year his Sv% was .007 below his career average. He's a respectable starter, which is all the Canes need, and a decent upgrade over Ward/Darling.
Jun. 15, 2018 at 1:07 a.m.
hawksfan88
Hawksfan, the Canes don't need the 8th overall pick. Yes they would like to get younger, but there's no reason to get someone who isn't NHL-ready other than as a window-expanding prospect (which isn't worth a core piece). And nothing else in that trade makes sense for them.

Faulk's young enough that they don't need to look for the next one: at 24, he's probably just entering his prime. They want to draft the next Faulk about 4 years from now so that their primes won't overlap.

Wasting young years of young stars is a bad idea. They should be trying to win this year, not next.

IMO the reason they put almost everyone on the market was a philosophy of "Anyone's expendable to deal with the goalie issue." This is a good philosophy, as the team's deep enough that they can deal nearly anyone to patch the hole in net.

Lehner's GSAA and dSv% were near league average in a year his Sv% was .007 below his career average. He's a respectable starter, which is all the Canes need, and a decent upgrade over Ward/Darling.

First off Faulk is 26, which changes things a bit. I really don't think the Canes plan on paying him long term once his contract is up when he's 28 so I do think they would be interested in adding a top 10 pick right now. Let's be honest do you actually think the Canes are a serious contender next year? I think they will be a good team for sure but a top 8 draft pick is pretty damn enticing is all I'm saying
Jun. 15, 2018 at 1:11 a.m.
hawksfan88
Quoting: hawksfan88
First off Faulk is 26, which changes things a bit. I really don't think the Canes plan on paying him long term once his contract is up when he's 28 so I do think they would be interested in adding a top 10 pick right now. Let's be honest do you actually think the Canes are a serious contender next year? I think they will be a good team for sure but a top 8 draft pick is pretty damn enticing is all I'm saying

Honestly they could trade TVR and a 2nd rounder or something like that for Grubbauer plus trade Faulk for the 8th overall pick.

That would give them the 2nd, 8th, and grubbauer. There's your elite/franchise player in Svechnikov, future of your blue line in bouchard/hughes/dobson/boqvist, and your goalie of the future in grubs. While those three may not all make impacts next season, that would be a very good start for the Canes new leadershihp and for their future
Jun. 15, 2018 at 1:13 a.m.
I put math in hockey
My bad on Faulk, coulda sworn he was younger. Still probably a year or two before I want to draft the next version. Also, in terms of them being a serious contender next year? Yeah, if they can patch the hole in net. They were the League's best team by CF% for most of the year (BOS overtook them post-deadline, when they added while the Canes didn't), and were consistently among the best in xG%. This is a really good team that was held down last year by awful shooting luck and atrocious goaltending.

Rebuilding doesn't make sense at this point. Keep the second overall (Svech is too good to pass up, and he'll probably make an impact immediately), but there's no reason to scrap that beast of a blueline to build for the future when they can win the Cup in the present (or at least immediate future).
Jun. 15, 2018 at 2:10 a.m.

All the pieces just crowd the real trade,

Faulk/darling for the 8 overall pick

and it Oliver Wahlstrom is sitting there at 8 I think they will do this trade

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll