SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Cap Dump Trades

Jun. 21, 2018 at 8:45 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
I mean, yes, that's correct. Dave Bolland's contract was the same way (ish; it's not stupidly backdiving, but the Coyotes only pay out 20% of his salary, or $1.1 M, and insurance covers the rest).

my point was "pick a different team." the Senators seem like a real good target for that sort of trade nowadays.

Look man, this is nothing more than hypothetical's from my mind....

I do have a good one for Ottawa.

Hossa, Duclair, Forsling & 27th overall for Bobby Ryan (2,000,000 retained) & 4th overall pick.

That would save Ottawa 5.250 million on the Bobby Ryan contract (that still has 4 years left).....

Ottawa basically trades the Hawks 4th overall for $5,000,000 a season for 4 seasons, 27th overall pick, Duclair & Forsling...

Some think that is robbery by the Hawks but it really isn't ...... Melnyk isn't going to be able to move the Ryan contract without another team sending significant salary back and that kinda contradicts the whole point of trading him - not to mention he's really a cap dump, so.... I mean there is no way Dorion/Melnyk could save 5M a season on the Ryan contract dealing with another team... Of course for that favor they're going to have to drop 23 spots in the draft - but at least they're still picking in the first round of a deep draft - not only that but they're also getting Duclair and Forsling who are young, cost controlled, have potential and NHL experience... Forsling could seriously be a top 4 and if Duclair get his sh*t straight he could be a top 6 forward - I mean he's pretty talented he just has trouble "finishing".. He does everything right except hit the back of the net, if Duclair can start doing that then he'd certainly be a top 6.
Jun. 24, 2018 at 8:38 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: The_Architect
What's the limit any given team is aloud to be over the cap (during the offseason) before the season starts regardless if they have placed someone on LTIR or not?

It's 10% but LTIR doesn't count, though I'm not exactly sure how it works. For instance the Leafs carried 10.25m of LTIR in the off season and it didn't prevent them from spending nearly 75m..on" playing "players.
For instance if Toews and Kane get injured this off season and are out for the year, the Hawks aren't "punished" 21m for having injured players.
The only difference LTIR really makes is it MIGHT affect when a team pays it's Performance Bonuses.
The 10% overage rule was really made so the rich teams could not load up "iffy" NHLers and have a stacked minor league team.
All these Hossa trades are really nonsense. If Hossa truly is permanent LTIR, the Hawks have no reason to trade him, and there are really no teams that are close to the cap that need him. And the length of the Hossa's contract, teams might not want Hossa's contract if it affected their performance bonus payments in the future.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll