Why not this?

Why not this?

Draft Class: 2018
Created By: Club_de_Hockey_le_Canadien
Published: Jun. 19, 2018 at 12:34 p.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
2Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
3Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Why Kotkaniemi? Why not the projected 1st overall pick for the past few years (until Dahlin was noticed)? Why target the player who got noticed as a "top 5 player" after the season ended? Veleno is just as good if not better than Kotkaniemi. So why not?
4Logo of the Ottawa Senators-
5Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
6Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
7Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-
8Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-
9Logo of the New York Rangers-
10Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-
11Logo of the New York Islanders-
12Logo of the New York IslandersLogo of the Calgary Flames
13Logo of the Dallas Stars-
14Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the St. Louis Blues
15Logo of the Florida Panthers-
16Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
17Logo of the New Jersey Devils-
18Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-
19Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-
20Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
21Logo of the San Jose Sharks-
22Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
23Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
24Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
25Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-
26Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Boston Bruins
27Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Nashville Predators
28Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
29Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Winnipeg Jets
30Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Vegas Golden Knights
31Logo of the Washington Capitals-
Jun. 19, 2018 at 1:14 p.m.
MikeY
...because they'd probably trade down if they're going to want Veleno.
Jun. 19, 2018 at 1:42 p.m.
Veleno? With 3rd OA? Are you nuts? If they want a center, ofc they will go with Kotkaniemi, a projected #1 Center who proved to be very talented. Any scout would tell you Kotkaniemi is a safer pick than Veleno.
Jun. 19, 2018 at 1:48 p.m.
Because some people have smart hockey minds. And don't draft players after a disappointing year in the Q. If you want Veleno, just hope Montreal deals Pacioretty for a mid first round pick and get him where he deserves to be drafted...
Jun. 19, 2018 at 1:50 p.m.
Quoting: Karimizo
Veleno? With 3rd OA? Are you nuts? If they want a center, ofc they will go with Kotkaniemi, a projected #1 Center who proved to be very talented. Any scout would tell you Kotkaniemi is a safer pick than Veleno.

I disagree, Veleno has the best vision of any player in this draft and Montreal is more likely to pick the Quebec born center that fills every requirement that they need. Kotkaniemi is good, but he takes a long time to go from 1-60. And no I am not nuts any scout that can see Veleno play can tell that he is an excellent player and would make the jump to the NHL smoothly. Kotkaniemi may take a year or two to get used to North American ice. Both are very skilled but Kotkaniemi may just turn out to be nothing out of all of this drama. But to be honest, I doubt that the Habs would pick either of them 3rd overall.
Jun. 19, 2018 at 1:54 p.m.
Quoting: MikeY
...because they'd probably trade down if they're going to want Veleno.

Or they would trade for the Isles 11th overall, and pick either Veleno or Kotkaniemi. The point that I am trying to make is that neither centers deserve to be drafted 3rd overall.
Jun. 19, 2018 at 2:00 p.m.
Quoting: RobbStark03
Because some people have smart hockey minds. And don't draft players after a disappointing year in the Q. If you want Veleno, just hope Montreal deals Pacioretty for a mid first round pick and get him where he deserves to be drafted...

You're telling me that Kotkaniemi didn't have a bad year in Liiga? Sure it was not disappointing but that was because Jesperi was not known as a top prospect until just recently. Jerry Turkulainen had a better year than Kotkaniemi, and he is a projected 7th rounder. My point is that neither center deserves 3rd overall. I do hope that Montreal trades for the Isles pick and gets Veleno or Kotkaniemi.
Jun. 19, 2018 at 2:02 p.m.
My point is that no center in 2018 deserves to be drafted 3rd overall, even though they may be.
Jun. 19, 2018 at 2:22 p.m.
Quoting: Club_de_Hockey_le_Canadien
You're telling me that Kotkaniemi didn't have a bad year in Liiga? Sure it was not disappointing but that was because Jesperi was not known as a top prospect until just recently. Jerry Turkulainen had a better year than Kotkaniemi, and he is a projected 7th rounder. My point is that neither center deserves 3rd overall. I do hope that Montreal trades for the Isles pick and gets Veleno or Kotkaniemi.

Jerry Turkulainen is 19 years old, 5'7" winger. 7th highest scoring player on his team.
Jesperi Kotkaniemi is 17 years old, 6'2" center. 3rd highest scoring player on his team.

So, are we being completely honest about his age and how the team effected their stats?

Please, tell me what you know that McKenzie, Pronman, Button, etc. don't.
Jun. 19, 2018 at 3:57 p.m.
Jerry Turkulainen is 19 years old, 5'7" winger. 7th highest scoring player on his team.
Jesperi Kotkaniemi is 17 years old, 6'2" center. 3rd highest scoring player on his team.

So, are we being completely honest about his age and how the team effected their stats?

Please, tell me what you know that McKenzie, Pronman, Button, etc. don't.

To be clear, Kotkaniemi will be 18 in very soon and it doesn't matter where they sit for points on their team, it matters how many points they can produce. Let's not forget that we are comparing Jesperi Kotkaniemi to a 7th round prospect. I can't image how he could match up against all of the rest of the draft
Jun. 19, 2018 at 5:39 p.m.
Papa Swedge
The reason Veleno was expected to go first overall the past few years was because he was granted exceptional player status and joined the CHL a year early. The reason he's fallen since then is because his increase in production has been very slow, only getting a little bit better every year as opposed to other players who've taken big steps in their production.
Jun. 19, 2018 at 7:17 p.m.
Quoting: PapaSwedge
The reason Veleno was expected to go first overall the past few years was because he was granted exceptional player status and joined the CHL a year early. The reason he's fallen since then is because his increase in production has been very slow, only getting a little bit better every year as opposed to other players who've taken big steps in their production.

My point is that neither center deserves this spot, especially Veleno but Kotkaniemi too.
Jun. 20, 2018 at 8:21 a.m.
To be clear, Kotkaniemi will be 18 in very soon and it doesn't matter where they sit for points on their team, it matters how many points they can produce. Let's not forget that we are comparing Jesperi Kotkaniemi to a 7th round prospect. I can't image how he could match up against all of the rest of the draft

It absolutely matters that a kid 2 years older is out producing him by 4 points in a mens league. It absolutely matters that Turkulainen was on a much stronger team and receive far more help from his teammates. I don't know what you are trying to prove here, but you are failing to use logic to do so.
Jun. 20, 2018 at 9:52 a.m.
It absolutely matters that a kid 2 years older is out producing him by 4 points in a mens league. It absolutely matters that Turkulainen was on a much stronger team and receive far more help from his teammates. I don't know what you are trying to prove here, but you are failing to use logic to do so.

I'm trying to prove that if someone can argue about Turkulainen being better than Kotkaniemi, Veleno should be a very close contender to Kotkaniemi's skill and could easily be the best center of the draft.
Jun. 20, 2018 at 2:26 p.m.
I'm trying to prove that if someone can argue about Turkulainen being better than Kotkaniemi, Veleno should be a very close contender to Kotkaniemi's skill and could easily be the best center of the draft.

You could argue a potato is better than Kotkaniemi. It's a terrible argument based on nothing, but the argument could still be made. You are ignoring very important factors just to make this argument. Many scouts that do this for a living don't think Veleno is better than Kotkaniemi, whats your beef with Kotkaniemi being better than Veleno? You Joe's cousin or something?
Jun. 20, 2018 at 3:08 p.m.
Worried Canucks Fan
No way Van passes on Dobson and/or Bouchard to take another winger...
Jun. 20, 2018 at 5:12 p.m.
Quoting: Kmode
No way Van passes on Dobson and/or Bouchard to take another winger...

True point, but if Tkachuk is slipping, the Canucks are better off picking him and trading him for a defenseman later.
Jun. 20, 2018 at 5:15 p.m.
You could argue a potato is better than Kotkaniemi. It's a terrible argument based on nothing, but the argument could still be made. You are ignoring very important factors just to make this argument. Many scouts that do this for a living don't think Veleno is better than Kotkaniemi, whats your beef with Kotkaniemi being better than Veleno? You Joe's cousin or something?

Funny, no I have no relation to Joe and I have no problem with Kotkaniemi being better than Veleno. I just believe that he doesn't deserve the 3rd overall selection and I used Veleno to prove my point. I could've used Hayton to prove the point but I think that Veleno has excellent vision and I perfer him over Hayton.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll