Forums/Armchair-GM

Skinner and Faulk to CHI, Sparks from TOR

Created by: tad77
Team: 2018-19 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 20, 2018
Published: Jun. 20, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Svechnikov assumed to be taken 2nd overall, Necas makes the jump. McKeown establishes full time #4 defenseman role.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
3$3,000,000
4$5,000,000
2$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$7,000,000
Svechnikov, Andrei
3$925,000
Trades
CAR
  1. Hossa, Marián
  2. Murphy, Connor
  3. 2018 1st round pick (CHI)
  4. 2018 1st round pick (NSH)
CHI
  1. Faulk, Justin
  2. Skinner, Jeff
  3. 2018 4th round pick (ARI)
TOR
  1. 2018 2nd round pick (CAR)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$80,000,000$68,991,665$0$2,215,000$11,008,335
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,860,000$2,860,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 6
Svechnikov, Andrei
$925,000$925,000
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
RW
RFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$887,500$887,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 4
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$811,666$811,666 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, C
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
RW
UFA - 3
$5,275,000$5,275,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
UFA - 7
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 6
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
UFA - 6
$4,150,000$4,150,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$745,000$745,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 20, 2018 at 10:17 a.m.
Banned
What do you think TO would have to add to get Pesce out of Carolina? Perhaps Sparks and a 2nd for Pesce? Or maybe Sparks, Rosen/Borgman and a 2nd for Pesce?
Jun. 20, 2018 at 10:38 a.m.
Canes would ask huge overpayment. He is locked on canes first pair with Slavin for next 6 years only 4mil a year. Sparks + 2nd isn't even close and prospects + picks isn't rly what canes need at the moment.
Jun. 20, 2018 at 10:42 a.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
What do you think TO would have to add to get Pesce out of Carolina? Perhaps Sparks and a 2nd for Pesce? Or maybe Sparks, Rosen/Borgman and a 2nd for Pesce?

Yeah I think getting Pesce out of Carolina wouldn't be worth it for the Leafs. If you aren't starting the discussion with Nylander or Kadri, then you're talking Dermott + AJ + more. It wouldn't be a good deal for the Leafs in the long run.
Jun. 20, 2018 at 10:47 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: tadhockey
Yeah I think getting Pesce out of Carolina wouldn't be worth it for the Leafs. If you aren't starting the discussion with Nylander or Kadri, then you're talking Dermott + AJ + more. It wouldn't be a good deal for the Leafs in the long run.

My assessment of Pesce is a younger less injury prone version of Chris Tanev. Is that fair? If so then that price tag is insane for a solid defensive defenceman. Nylander is worth far more than any defensive defenceman, Period. Same goes for Kadri who's scored back to back 30. That would make Kadri more valuable than Skinner and Nylander is far more valuable than Kadri.

Wouldn't a more fair deal be Pesce for a 1st + a non roster prospect?
Jun. 20, 2018 at 10:51 a.m.
My assessment of Pesce is a younger less injury prone version of Chris Tanev. Is that fair? If so then that price tag is insane for a solid defensive defenceman. Nylander is worth far more than any defensive defenceman, Period. Same goes for Kadri who's scored back to back 30. That would make Kadri more valuable than Skinner and Nylander is far more valuable than Kadri.

Wouldn't a more fair deal be Pesce for a 1st + a non roster prospect?

That might be the case if he was a rental. But consider that he's locked up for six more seasons at an extremely affordable rate while playing an absolutely crucial role for the Canes, and that's the price you're talking about. Plus, the Leafs first isn't high enough to get a player that can reliably play on the Canes roster within a year, so that doesn't help Carolina move in the direction they want to go. None of the Leafs' prospects move the needle enough to change that.

A fair package might be Dermott + AJ + Kapanen + Sparks + assorted draft pick compensation.
Jun. 20, 2018 at 10:55 a.m.
Why would canes swap Pesce to late first and prospect? They would ask overpayment.
Jun. 20, 2018 at 10:57 a.m.
If Sparks isn't going to at least back-up Freddy this year...a 2nd is fair value for him
Jun. 20, 2018 at 11:05 a.m.
Banned
That might be the case if he was a rental. But consider that he's locked up for six more seasons at an extremely affordable rate while playing an absolutely crucial role for the Canes, and that's the price you're talking about. Plus, the Leafs first isn't high enough to get a player that can reliably play on the Canes roster within a year, so that doesn't help Carolina move in the direction they want to go. None of the Leafs' prospects move the needle enough to change that.

A fair package might be Dermott + AJ + Kapanen + Sparks + assorted draft pick compensation.

You are going way overboard for a defensive defenceman. Dermott could very well already be more valuable. He showed great in his first half season in the NHL. Johnsson and Kapanen could score 40 goals between the two and Sparks was the best goalie in the AHL last year, (Goaltending being the biggest weakness Carolina has). A defensive defenceman isn't worth 40 goals, let alone a highly regarded young goalie and a 22 year old defencemen poised to join the top 4 in TO as soon as this season.

Pesce's value would go something like this.

Contract is a +1
Age is +1
Skill level =
Ceiling =
Need from To for a RHD +2

So lets say that give him a value of +4 (I'm kind of creating a system of valuation here)

Sparks
Contracts =
Age = (he's a little older for a prospect but not too old to make him a negative)
Skill Level =
Ceiling + 1

Dermott
Contract +1 (two more years at ELC)
Age +1 (under 22)
Skill Level +1
Ceiling +2 (he is definitely a top 4 LHD)

Dermott would have more long term value than Pesce based on the type of players they are projected to be.

Kapanen
Contract = (1 more year at ELC)
Age +1 Under 22
Skill +2
Ceiling +2

Kapanen is looking like he can be an effective top 6 winger and elite penalty killer his value is equal to Pesce

Johnsson
Contract = He is RFA so this is an unknown but won't be expensive
Age = He's 25 so he's a late bloomer
Skill +1
Ceiling +1

Johnson is still a bit of an unknown but he sure looked good last year and was a star for the Marlies

With this evaluation (Literally just made this up) I would say Sparks and Johnsson would make a fair trade for Pesce. Throw in a 3rd from TO for good measure but all 4 of those pieces is an extreme over payment.

Chris Tanev, who is currently better than Pesce, albeit a more injury prone player, (a lot of those injuries are bad luck though) would only net the Canucks a 2nd and a non roster prospect. So I think something like Sparks, Johnssson and a 3rd would be a fair price for Pesce.
Jun. 20, 2018 at 1:33 p.m.
You are going way overboard for a defensive defenceman. Dermott could very well already be more valuable. He showed great in his first half season in the NHL. Johnsson and Kapanen could score 40 goals between the two and Sparks was the best goalie in the AHL last year, (Goaltending being the biggest weakness Carolina has). A defensive defenceman isn't worth 40 goals, let alone a highly regarded young goalie and a 22 year old defencemen poised to join the top 4 in TO as soon as this season.

snipped

With this evaluation (Literally just made this up) I would say Sparks and Johnsson would make a fair trade for Pesce. Throw in a 3rd from TO for good measure but all 4 of those pieces is an extreme over payment.

Chris Tanev, who is currently better than Pesce, albeit a more injury prone player, (a lot of those injuries are bad luck though) would only net the Canucks a 2nd and a non roster prospect. So I think something like Sparks, Johnssson and a 3rd would be a fair price for Pesce.

I mean you can think what you want, but you're ignoring a significant number of realities and really only looking at it from a Leafs' homer perspective. You seem to define Pesce as a defensive defenseman and therefore a #5 at best, when in reality he plays a #2 or #3 at worst for Carolina. He's definitely better than Tanev (check hockey reference -> nearly the same PPG along with much better possession metrics and shot charts, especially with no powerplay time) and he's locked in at an extremely reasonable rate for a top 4 defenseman for six years. Furthermore, Carolina needs pieces to play in their lineup NOW, not later.

Meanwhile, in my mind, you overrate the Leafs pieces (especially Kapanen, who probably profiles as a third-line winger) significantly, while failing to realize that the total impact of those Leafs on the current roster isn't very large (Dermott plays the most significant role, as the #5 defenseman).

Maybe I came in too high, but I think anything not involving Dermott-caliber or better is a non-starter for Carolina.
Jun. 20, 2018 at 1:48 p.m.
Banned
I mean you can think what you want, but you're ignoring a significant number of realities and really only looking at it from a Leafs' homer perspective. You seem to define Pesce as a defensive defenseman and therefore a #5 at best, when in reality he plays a #2 or #3 at worst for Carolina. He's definitely better than Tanev (check hockey reference -> nearly the same PPG along with much better possession metrics and shot charts, especially with no powerplay time) and he's locked in at an extremely reasonable rate for a top 4 defenseman for six years. Furthermore, Carolina needs pieces to play in their lineup NOW, not later.

Meanwhile, in my mind, you overrate the Leafs pieces (especially Kapanen, who probably profiles as a third-line winger) significantly, while failing to realize that the total impact of those Leafs on the current roster isn't very large (Dermott plays the most significant role, as the #5 defenseman).

Maybe I came in too high, but I think anything not involving Dermott-caliber or better is a non-starter for Carolina.

I would pencil Pesce in the top pairing in TO to play with Reilly. If I was Dubas, I would also trade Gardiner for some good assets and move Dermott into the second pairing. In my opinion Dermott's upside is way higher than Pesce who I think will be an extremely good partner for a guy like Reilly and will chip in with 20-30 points, kill penalties and be excellent in his own end. Dermott I think will QB the Leafs second PP unit in the very near future. That ceiling puts him ahead of Pesce value wise since offence is the premium and Pesce is limited in that regard. Still a very valuable player, just a different sort of value.

Dermott is a no go from the Leafs. So I think we'd have to rejig with a different prospect. Also Liljegren is completely off the table.

How about

Pesce for the 25th pick, Rosen and Bracco?

Rosen I think will be a very solid NHL defencemen. More of a 2nd pairing guy who can run a PP as well. Bracco has a tonne of upside as well but he's burried by the Leafs depth at RW.
Jun. 20, 2018 at 1:50 p.m.
I would pencil Pesce in the top pairing in TO to play with Reilly. If I was Dubas, I would also trade Gardiner for some good assets and move Dermott into the second pairing. In my opinion Dermott's upside is way higher than Pesce who I think will be an extremely good partner for a guy like Reilly and will chip in with 20-30 points, kill penalties and be excellent in his own end. Dermott I think will QB the Leafs second PP unit in the very near future. That ceiling puts him ahead of Pesce value wise since offence is the premium and Pesce is limited in that regard. Still a very valuable player, just a different sort of value.

Dermott is a no go from the Leafs. So I think we'd have to rejig with a different prospect. Also Liljegren is completely off the table.

How about

Pesce for the 25th pick, Rosen and Bracco?

Rosen I think will be a very solid NHL defencemen. More of a 2nd pairing guy who can run a PP as well. Bracco has a tonne of upside as well but he's burried by the Leafs depth at RW.

There's no chance that trade would happen. Your projection for Pesce might not be unreasonable, but the value you're willing to provide in compensation for the player isn't anywhere close to reasonable.
Jun. 20, 2018 at 1:53 p.m.
Banned
There's no chance that trade would happen. Your projection for Pesce might not be unreasonable, but the value you're willing to provide in compensation for the player isn't anywhere close to reasonable.

Pesce may cost more than I am willing to pay then. A 1st, and two good prospects with NHL experience (albeit small, Rosen has only played 2 games in the NHL I believe), for Pesce seems pretty fair.

And as I was writing this, I realized I left out Sparks in the trade. Take out Bracco and replace with sparks.

Pesce for a 1st rounder, Sparks and Leivo or Rosen

Some may say that is a steep price to pay but I think its fair, perhaps a little bit better for Carolina, considering their depth on the blue line. I've seen packages compared to this for Hanafin.
Jun. 20, 2018 at 1:59 p.m.
Pesce may cost more than I am willing to pay then. A 1st, and two good prospects with NHL experience (albeit small, Rosen has only played 2 games in the NHL I believe), for Pesce seems pretty fair.

And as I was writing this, I realized I left out Sparks in the trade. Take out Bracco and replace with sparks.

Pesce for a 1st rounder, Sparks and Leivo or Rosen

Some may say that is a steep price to pay but I think its fair, perhaps a little bit better for Carolina, considering their depth on the blue line. I've seen packages compared to this for Hanafin.

Two things:

1) Nobody would say that's steep. I'd say that's a deeply-Leafs biased trade.

2) If anyone is talking about that package for Hanifin, they're either A) giving up a much higher pick than 25th (think: 6-9). or B ) also talking from a deeply-Leafs biased perspective

Seems to me like Carolina defensemen are far too rich for the cost you're willing to pay.
Jun. 20, 2018 at 2:03 p.m.
Banned
Two things:

1) Nobody would say that's steep. I'd say that's a deeply-Leafs biased trade.

2) If anyone is talking about that package for Hanifin, they're either A) giving up a much higher pick than 25th (think: 6-9). or B ) also talking from a deeply-Leafs biased perspective

Seems to me like Carolina defensemen are far too rich for the cost you're willing to pay.

Looks that way. I would point out that Washington paid less for Shattenkirk a couple of years ago. Granted that was for a rental but still Shattenkirks value was much higher than Pesce. Pesce will get a nice return, mainly cause he is right handed. If he was left handed, no one would even be thinking about him. Not that he isn't good, he is very good. He just doesn't have that dynamic element that 2 way guys have which does limit the value a tad.

So with all this in mind, I'd say thanks for the discussion and good luck in the coming season. We're going to give Winnipeg a call and get Myers, for less. That'll likely cost a 1st and one prospect if not just 1 first. Winnipeg is in a cap bind which does sap some of their negotiating strength.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll