SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Kovalchuk As A 35+ UFA

Jun. 22, 2018 at 12:33 p.m.
HawksFan28
I have no idea where to put this discussion but if a mod has a better idea, go ahead and move it where it belongs.

Anyway, it seems the hype around Kovalchuk is reaching outrageous levels... He's a 35-years-old hence he will be a 35+ contract which means the team signing him will carry his cap hit no matter what happens. Kovalchuk has a history of reneging on contracts (at least with New Jersey) but it appears there are at least 10 teams "in on him" and rumors have it that Kovalchuk wants a 3-year deal worth upwards of 7 per a season, and to be honest this is reaching hysteria and any GM that signs him will regret it immediately... I just read via Eklund (so it can be taken with a grain of salt, but none the less) that Toronto is prepared to "go BIG" for one year of Kovalchuk if negotiations with other teams fall through.... When I hear "go BIG" that means a 1-year $10,000,000 deal.......

Are GM's out of their mind? are they really that competitive among themselves that they're willing to screw up their cap situation just to "win" Kovalchuk?.... Sure I could see this type of hype for Tavares or Karlsson and to a lesser extent Carlsson, but Kovalchuk??? c'mon...

Kovalchuk deserves nothing more than a 1-year deal (he has to prove he can still play in the NHL), if I was a GM a 2-year deal would be possible at a reduced salary per season but 3-years would be totally out of the question, but it appears there are some GM's out there considering giving him a 3-year-deal and there is something wrong there - especially with his 3-year-deal demand...... Kovalchuk damn well know's GM's will figure out really quick he's not worth what they're getting in him but he wants to get paid like he's 30-years-old regardless, and that speaks volumes to his character and intent - his demands alone are disingenuous right off the bat..

With that said, I wouldn't be shocked to see a GM give Kovalchuk a 3-year $7,500,000 per contract (22.5M total), Kovalchuk plays 1 season, puts up 45 points, realizes he's not NHL material and he could get "paid" In Russia (again) then splits back to Russia leaving the team that signed him with a 7.5M cap hit for 2 more seasons.. That or Kovalchuk stays and his contact becomes cancer like Bobby Ryan's contract.....

I suppose my point is I really think GM's are treating Kovalchuk like the 30-year-old Kovalchuk and not the 35+ Kovalchuk he is and the 35+ contract he will be signing...

If GM's were smart, they would offer him $5,000,000 1-year contract or perhaps a 2 year contract with a catch - year 1 pays $2,000,000 but year 2 pays $8,000,000 just to make sure he doesn't split back to the KHL after playing 1 year.... Because those 35+ contracts are tricky - no matter what happens the team that signs him (or trades for him) will be stuck with the cap hit and I would say there is a 50/50 chance that if Kovalchuk signs a 3-year-deal - he won't play it out......

Besides, we all know he's coming back to the NHL for the $$$$$ regardless of what he says..... 80% for the money 20% to pad his stats.

Those are just my thoughts on this Kovalchuk madness. I figured there would be a few teams out there kicking tires on him but I didn't foresee him being a premiere UFA at the age of 35 (and GM's knowing he will be on a 35+ contract), especially when Tavares and Carlson are UFA's and Erik Karlsson is on the market....

I mean a free player is a free player and with the cap going most teams in the NHL could afford him, but that doesn't mean signing him isn't a MAJOR risk.....

I hope I'm wrong and he comes back and puts up 70+ points but I don't see that, I see him taking the most lucrative contract he can get regardless of what team it is, it will probably be a bottom feeder, he will put up 45 points, then say "screw this I'm done", he retires - the team that signed him will be stuck with a 7.5M cap hit for 2 more seasons and of course Kovalchuk really doesn't care because he's getting paid more in Russia...

As a Blackhawks fan, I would have no issue with Bowman giving him a 1-year deal for $5,500,000 playing LW along side Schmaltz & Kane, but I wouldn't go a penny or a year more - but I know some GM will and I know they will regret their decision before the season even starts..

Just my .02cents on this Kovalchuk madness.
Jun. 22, 2018 at 5:32 p.m.
Considering he scored 63 points in 53 games in the second best league in the world, I have no problem with teams giving him 2-yr, 6-8mil contracts. He's clearly still productive, and will immediately fill into any teams top six. Obviously, that number might be a tad high, but considering it's just a two year deal, there are definitely worse contracts a GM could imagine.
Jun. 22, 2018 at 6:36 p.m.
Quoting: tadhockey
Considering he scored 63 points in 53 games in the second best league in the world, I have no problem with teams giving him 2-yr, 6-8mil contracts. He's clearly still productive, and will immediately fill into any teams top six. Obviously, that number might be a tad high, but considering it's just a two year deal, there are definitely worse contracts a GM could imagine.

Did you look at the scoring leaders in the KHL. It reeks of an AHL B league. Top scores. Kovi, Gusev, Dawes, Omark, Ley. Maybe one team will pay him a lot, but it's still a big chance. Don't see Omark and Ley even being offered NHL contract.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll