SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Winners and losers of the 1st round

Jun. 22, 2018 at 11:39 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
While of course we won't know for many years who are the actual winners and losers are. But so far my vote goes to:

Winners : NYI, DET

Losers: CHI
Dahlin_On_Me liked this.
Jun. 23, 2018 at 1:26 a.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: Blazingbat11
While of course we won't know for many years who are the actual winners and losers are. But so far my vote goes to:

Winners : NYI, DET

Losers: CHI

I think Chicago is doing well by loading up on defenseman. Boqvist was the right pick at the time in my opinion. Maybe reached a little for Beaudin but he did put up gaudy numbers in the Q.

I think CBJ taking Foudy was really questionable. And the guy Minnesota took might be a sleeper, but I doubt it - and there was a ton of talent still on the board for them. Those would be my losers so far.

I think your winners are spot on. Zadina should play with something to prove after dropping to 6. And for NYI you could just see the chips falling into place for them as 11 and 12 approached - big-time potential in Wahlstrom and Dobson.
Jun. 23, 2018 at 1:50 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Definitely happy with the Isles' draft day.

Oh, and Erik Karlsson's still with the Senators! Like i said.
Jun. 23, 2018 at 1:59 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Definitely happy with the Isles' draft day.

Oh, and Erik Karlsson's still with the Senators! Like i said.

I don't think that's going to last that long lol
Jun. 23, 2018 at 2:10 a.m.
Losers: Arizona picking Hayton at 5, CHI taking the 5th best defenceman before Dobson and Bouchard, SJS taking Merkley
Winners: NYI, DET
Jun. 23, 2018 at 2:10 a.m.
It's like 3-5 years too early to talk winners and losers from this draft.
phillyjabroni and Mr_cap liked this.
Jun. 24, 2018 at 7:28 p.m.
Sabres won the first round with Dahlin, but with the first pick, it's kind of hard not too........I love Samuelsson as our second round pick too. Easily mid to high first rounder, I can see the Sabres getting him into the AHL and out of College sooner than later

I think DET and NYI also made out like bandits....
wojme liked this.
Jun. 24, 2018 at 10:07 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Blazingbat11
I don't think that's going to last that long lol

It will ...
Jun. 24, 2018 at 10:23 p.m.
Habs
The Islanders and Red Wings obviously made out great. The Oilers lucked out with Bouchard, as did the Devils with Ty Smith. MTL, OTT & ARZ all messed up passing on Zadina and Rangers made a mistake taking Kravtsov so high in my opinion. Liam Foudy and Jay O'Brien were reaches for CBJ and PHI respectively as well.

Also surprised to see Noel fall into Round 2, and see names like McLeod, Wilde, Thomas, Addison and Olofsson fall so far.
Jun. 25, 2018 at 8:25 a.m.
Quoting: A_K
I think Chicago is doing well by loading up on defenseman. Boqvist was the right pick at the time in my opinion. Maybe reached a little for Beaudin but he did put up gaudy numbers in the Q.

I think CBJ taking Foudy was really questionable. And the guy Minnesota took might be a sleeper, but I doubt it - and there was a ton of talent still on the board for them. Those would be my losers so far.

I think your winners are spot on. Zadina should play with something to prove after dropping to 6. And for NYI you could just see the chips falling into place for them as 11 and 12 approached - big-time potential in Wahlstrom and Dobson.

Sadly as a fellow Blues fan, Blues have to be consider losers here. They traded up with two good center prospects on the table including the speedy, physical Ryan McLeod, and we drafted another right winger. While Bokk has some slick hands, the fact that according to Bob McKenzie's scouting report he "doesn't compete" is something the Blues already have plenty of issues with as well as lack of speed. I get the Blues have Barbashev, Stevens, and Kaspick in the pipeline, I don't see any of them as second line potential. McLeod has that and we passed on him.
Jun. 25, 2018 at 9:28 a.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: Chopper02
Sadly as a fellow Blues fan, Blues have to be consider losers here. They traded up with two good center prospects on the table including the speedy, physical Ryan McLeod, and we drafted another right winger. While Bokk has some slick hands, the fact that according to Bob McKenzie's scouting report he "doesn't compete" is something the Blues already have plenty of issues with as well as lack of speed. I get the Blues have Barbashev, Stevens, and Kaspick in the pipeline, I don't see any of them as second line potential. McLeod has that and we passed on him.

While Veleno and Mcleod would've been good pick-ups, I think Bokk is a tier above them in terms of skill and star potential (the things I want in a first round pick). You have to remember, the draft is to find talent for the team in 3-5 years so it's really hard to tell what our exact needs will be (although center is a great guess). I'm trying to remain optimistic about this draft. It's a shame that we couldn't use the pick to get a roster improvement, but getting Bokk late in the round is the next best thing IMO. The red flags with Bokk sound like coachable traits; I'm not too concerned about his 'compete level' (TM) or off-the-puck play as an 18-yr-old prospect.
krakowitz liked this.
Jun. 25, 2018 at 12:38 p.m.
Quoting: A_K
While Veleno and Mcleod would've been good pick-ups, I think Bokk is a tier above them in terms of skill and star potential (the things I want in a first round pick). You have to remember, the draft is to find talent for the team in 3-5 years so it's really hard to tell what our exact needs will be (although center is a great guess). I'm trying to remain optimistic about this draft. It's a shame that we couldn't use the pick to get a roster improvement, but getting Bokk late in the round is the next best thing IMO. The red flags with Bokk sound like coachable traits; I'm not too concerned about his 'compete level' (TM) or off-the-puck play as an 18-yr-old prospect.

Off the puck play I'm less concerned about as that can be improved. However, when someone has the label of someone who doesn't compete, that's not very coachable. That's an inherent trait in my opinion. While I agree to a point where the draft is to help 3 to 5 years from now, if you're trading up to make a pick you should have a feeling he's going to make an impact in one or two years. Skill wise, Bokk has the hands and shot, but I think McLeod would address a more pressing need for the Blues and whose skills will translate nicely to the NHL.
As far as making roster improvements, not much you can do if you're unwilling to pull the trigger on some trades. Not sure what it would have taken for Pacioretty or Skinner, but wow was that Carolina/Calgary trade something.
Jun. 25, 2018 at 12:50 p.m.
San Jose's selection of Ryan Merkley at 21st OA leaves me wondering what they were thinking. He has great offensive numbers, no question there. He led his team in scoring in his draft year -1 and was second this year. Unfortunately he also led his team both years with the worst plus/minus. His defensive game is atrocious. Very one dimensional. Considered by several teams as DND (Do Not Draft) regardless of the round! It isn't hard to find out why. He has had several incidents where one has to consider his psychological health. Two notable ones: two-handed swing in retaliation and a screaming match with his coach at the bench. Several times he has been a healthy scratch. Who gets healthy scratched at that level? SJS have drafted another headcase into their fold.
Jun. 26, 2018 at 10:04 a.m.
Winners:
Sabres: not that it was made hard for them, but they acquired a franchise D-man (Dahlin) at the top of the draft.
Red Wings: Had the most prolific scorer (Zadina) drop right into their laps.
Islanders: Grabbed two blue chip players (Wahlstrom and Dobson), one forward and one defenseman, back to back.

Losers:
Coyotes: Took a player (Hayton) at 5 that would have probably been available at 15-20.
Blues: Traded up to get a player (Bokk) who very well could turn out to be worse than the players picked in the 2 spots they gave up (Sandin and der-Arguchintsev).
Blue Jackets: Reached on a 3rd round talent (Foudy) in the middle of the first.

We'll see:
Sharks: Took the biggest boom-or-bust, high-risk/high-reward prospect available this year (Merkley).
Jun. 26, 2018 at 10:58 a.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
Winners:
Sabres: not that it was made hard for them, but they acquired a franchise D-man (Dahlin) at the top of the draft.
Red Wings: Had the most prolific scorer (Zadina) drop right into their laps.
Islanders: Grabbed two blue chip players (Wahlstrom and Dobson), one forward and one defenseman, back to back.

Losers:
Coyotes: Took a player (Hayton) at 5 that would have probably been available at 15-20.
Blues: Traded up to get a player (Bokk) who very well could turn out to be worse than the players picked in the 2 spots they gave up (Sandin and der-Arguchintsev).
Blue Jackets: Reached on a 3rd round talent (Foudy) in the middle of the first.

We'll see:
Sharks: Took the biggest boom-or-bust, high-risk/high-reward prospect available this year (Merkley).

I don't like how you put the Blues in the "Loser" category but then put the Sharks in the "We'll See" category for the same speculative reasoning. I also don't think Bokk will be worse than Sandin and SDA, and I would've said that before the draft. He's one of the most skilled players in the whole draft. Probably should have gone sooner than 25th, depending on who you ask.

Bokk:
Ranked #13 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM
Ranked #33 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #28 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #18 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #12 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (EU Skaters
Ranked #18 by TSN/McKenzie

If anything, I'd put the Blues in the "loser" category for not getting immediate help by trading their 1st, and by picking some underwhelming players in rounds 4-7. But then again, guys get paid the big bucks to make these decisions so I'd love to be proven wrong by some of those late round guys.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll