SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(CGY / CAR) - Hanifin, Lindholm for Hamilton, Fox, Ferland

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 23, 2018 at 1:53 p.m.
A trade between Calgary Flames and Carolina Hurricanes has been confirmed.
Trade Details
Calgary Flames Acquire:
Logo of the Calgary Flames
Elias Lindholm · $4,850,000$4,850,000$4,850,000
Noah Hanifin · $4,950,000$4,950,000$4,950,000
Sum: $9,800,000$9,800,000$9,800,000
Change: +$2,300,000
Change: +$2,300,000
Change: +$2,250,000
Carolina Hurricanes Acquire:
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
Micheal Ferland · $1,750,000$1,750,000$1,800,000
Dougie Hamilton · $5,750,000$5,750,000$5,750,000
Adam Fox · $0$0$0 (Signing Rights)
Sum: $7,500,000$7,500,000$7,550,000
Change: -$2,300,000
Change: -$2,300,000
Change: -$2,250,000
Jun. 23, 2018 at 1:53 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
giphy.gif
Isles4Life, Ragsandbluesfan, DragonRaptorHybrid and 23 others liked this.
Jun. 23, 2018 at 1:54 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
Wowzers.
Tntpod liked this.
Jun. 23, 2018 at 1:57 p.m.
Finally a big trade!
GeraltofRivia, Bryzgalovs_bears, habs_fan123 and 3 others liked this.
Jun. 23, 2018 at 2:00 p.m.
Habs/Pens fan
This is a blockbuster, I'd the Hurricanes win but if you compare the pieces.
Hanifin is a solid 3 and is only 21, Hamilton is 24 and is a solid 2 but has now been traded twice.
Lindholm is a good 2nd liner, Ferland is also a 2nd liner but has had only one year of 2nd line production so far.
Fox is here to make the deal sweeter for Carolina so overall Carolina wins
habs_fan123, tad77, Rideordie and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 23, 2018 at 2:03 p.m.
Habs/Pens fan
Quoting: Hockeylover360
This is a blockbuster, I'd the Hurricanes win but if you compare the pieces.
Hanifin is a solid 3 and is only 21, Hamilton is 24 and is a solid 2 but has now been traded twice.
Lindholm is a good 2nd liner, Ferland is also a 2nd liner but has had only one year of 2nd line production so far.
Fox is here to make the deal sweeter for Carolina so overall Carolina wins

habs_fan123 and Tntpod liked this.
Jun. 23, 2018 at 2:14 p.m.
Question is where do Faulk and Brodie land now..
habs_fan123, bixyboii, Tntpod and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 23, 2018 at 2:17 p.m.
Edited Jun. 23, 2018 at 3:29 p.m.
Calgary<--->Carolina
Young top D-Man<--->Young ELITE D-Man
Middle six center<--->Middle six winger
--->Solid defensive prospect

Carolina wins. Not sure exactly what compelled Treliving to okay this deal.
Tntpod liked this.
Jun. 23, 2018 at 2:37 p.m.
Pacioretty is about to go to Sharks!
Jun. 23, 2018 at 2:39 p.m.
Quoting: ProfessorFuzzymuffins
Calgary<--->Carolina
Young top D-Man<--->Young ELITE D-Man
Middle six center<--->Middle six winger
--->Solid forward prospect

Carolina wins. Not sure exactly what compelled Treliving to okay this deal.

Who's elite? Hamilton? He's 25 and been traded twice. That's far from elite. He's a whiny kid and Calgary got the better part of this deal by a mile. Hamilton forced Bruins to trade him once already.
habs_fan123 liked this.
Jun. 23, 2018 at 2:53 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Carolina wins this trade, wouldn't call it completely one sided though.

Hamilton= offensively talented top pairing RHD
Ferland= 2nd/3rd liner
Fox= top four potential

for

Lindhom= 2nd line C/RW
Hanifin= top pairing potential

This trade sets up Carolina with loads of extra D-man they could now flip for a goalie or center.
bixyboii liked this.
Jun. 23, 2018 at 4:15 p.m.
*Calgary executive room*

TRELIVING: *chewing gum* alright boys, this draft has been terrible enough for us, how can we make it even worse?

*hand raises*

JUNIOR STAFFER: What if we traded Dougie for...a defenceman not as good as Dougie?

TRELIVING: Excellent idea. Good work gentleman
ProfessorFuzzymuffins, bixyboii, tad77 and 4 others liked this.
Jun. 23, 2018 at 4:55 p.m.
All things considered, looks like Carolina paid a prospect for an upgrade in D (Very good D with upside vs Elite D). Fair trade, good value for both I think, time will tell but at the moment, I'm giving this one to Carolina for the win.
Jun. 23, 2018 at 5:30 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
This is a massive trade in terms of the talent being moved, but does it really make either team a lot better? I don’t see it that way. It’s a nice winger for the Flames to get in Lindholm, but now there’s three LHDs in Calgary. Hamilton is a great add, but it basically says Faulk should be traded due to a surplus of RHDs. Sort of a lateral move at best for each team, I don’t see a lot of point in it from either side
bixyboii and Pross liked this.
Jun. 23, 2018 at 6:23 p.m.
Have to wonder if Hamilton is a problem off the ice. Traded twice after 3 years with each CAR & BOS. Refused to sign with Boston because he didn't like the locker room and now it sounds like he didn't want to be in CGY
Jun. 23, 2018 at 8:51 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Win-win for both sides. Carolina wasn't gonna sign Lindholm ... Hanifin also was unsigned. And for Calgary, you have to remember Hanifin was an all-star this year. Lindholm is also a very good player.
Jun. 24, 2018 at 4:07 a.m.
Captain_Canada16
Trade works great both ways but the Flames had to make this trade.

1. Adam Fox was reportedly not going to sign with Calgary.
2. Dougie was a distraction in the organization.
3. Ferland's inconsistency and unable to play with Monny/Gaudry made him a bottom six forward.
Missouri and JohnMeston liked this.
Jun. 24, 2018 at 10:54 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
After Treviling said he wasn't going to trade Dougie, he does! Wow huge suprise. Calgary wins IMO as they got a younger dman who is going to be a elite defenseman in a year or 2 and they get Lindholm who i also think is going to be a dominant scorer in the league for years to come.
Jun. 25, 2018 at 10:29 a.m.
What happens to Faulk now?
CAR now has 3 first pairing RHD plus TVR.
Slavin - Pesce
Fleury - Hamilton
Dahlbeck/Bean? - TVR
Jun. 25, 2018 at 12:03 p.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: krakowitz
This is a massive trade in terms of the talent being moved, but does it really make either team a lot better? I don’t see it that way. It’s a nice winger for the Flames to get in Lindholm, but now there’s three LHDs in Calgary. Hamilton is a great add, but it basically says Faulk should be traded due to a surplus of RHDs. Sort of a lateral move at best for each team, I don’t see a lot of point in it from either side

Brodie will probably play on the right side of Giordano like he did before Hamilton took that spot. Hanifin will probably get put with Hamonic.
Jun. 25, 2018 at 12:50 p.m.
Quoting: Hockeyplayer1
What happens to Faulk now?
CAR now has 3 first pairing RHD plus TVR.
Slavin - Pesce
Fleury - Hamilton
Dahlbeck/Bean? - TVR

The door is open for Faulk to be traded, although it would be interesting to see if they attempt to put Faulk or Dougie on their off sides, so that they're in one-timer position. Additionally, with the organization struggling to sign their RFAs, it wouldn't surprise me if they keep Faulk just because he's under contract.

In terms of players who could fill that #2 LHD spot, I would be highly suspect of Fleury or Dahlbeck. Bean is a nice prospect but probably not ready for full-time NHL duty, never mind a top 4 position. I would expect for them to make a run at someone via trade or free agency who can fill in that spot, at least for this season.

Quoting: Missouri
After Treviling said he wasn't going to trade Dougie, he does! Wow huge suprise. Calgary wins IMO as they got a younger dman who is going to be a elite defenseman in a year or 2 and they get Lindholm who i also think is going to be a dominant scorer in the league for years to come.

I think this shows a lack of familiarity with the Hurricanes recent play.

You seem to assume that Hamilton and Hanifin are roughly equal, when that simply is not true. Hamilton is a true #1 defenseman, making just about anyone with a tad bit of skill a positive player. Although the Hamilton-Giordano pair was symbiotic, there's no question that Hamilton had more success when away from Giordano: just check their WOWY charts.

Meanwhile, although Hanifin certainly had a solid season, he was absolutely put into a more sheltered role, as the Slavin-Pesce top pair ate up most of the difficult minutes. While he's probably a high-end middle pairing guy right now, there's no doubt he is the inferior player to Hamilton, and I personally see his ceiling is lower than Dougie's, if he even reaches it.

Lindholm has never been, and never will be, a dominant scorer. On a Carolina team where he was consistently paired with Jeff Skinner, Lindholm never produced more than 45 points in a season, and has a low shooting percentage for a top-six forward. We're at the point where his shooting skill is a known minus to his game, and although he grades better defensively and as a playmaker, I would not expect him to crack 20 goals or 60 points in any season. Additionally, if and when the Flames pay him just south of $5mil per season, they will probably not be getting their money's worth.

I'll admit Ferland and Fox were probably irrelevant pieces to the Flames, so Calgary probably got more value from their perspective, but there's no question in my mind that Hamilton easily beats Hanifin and makes up part of the difference between Lindholm and Ferland. Adding Fox likely puts this over the top for Carolina, although we'll have to wait a few years to see how this trade truly grades out.
Jun. 25, 2018 at 8:03 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
I think this shows a lack of familiarity with the Hurricanes recent play.

You seem to assume that Hamilton and Hanifin are roughly equal, when that simply is not true. Hamilton is a true #1 defenseman, making just about anyone with a tad bit of skill a positive player. Although the Hamilton-Giordano pair was symbiotic, there's no question that Hamilton had more success when away from Giordano: just check their WOWY charts.

Meanwhile, although Hanifin certainly had a solid season, he was absolutely put into a more sheltered role, as the Slavin-Pesce top pair ate up most of the difficult minutes. While he's probably a high-end middle pairing guy right now, there's no doubt he is the inferior player to Hamilton, and I personally see his ceiling is lower than Dougie's, if he even reaches it.

Lindholm has never been, and never will be, a dominant scorer. On a Carolina team where he was consistently paired with Jeff Skinner, Lindholm never produced more than 45 points in a season, and has a low shooting percentage for a top-six forward. We're at the point where his shooting skill is a known minus to his game, and although he grades better defensively and as a playmaker, I would not expect him to crack 20 goals or 60 points in any season. Additionally, if and when the Flames pay him just south of $5mil per season, they will probably not be getting their money's worth.

I'll admit Ferland and Fox were probably irrelevant pieces to the Flames, so Calgary probably got more value from their perspective, but there's no question in my mind that Hamilton easily beats Hanifin and makes up part of the difference between Lindholm and Ferland. Adding Fox likely puts this over the top for Carolina, although we'll have to wait a few years to see how this trade truly grades out.[/quote]

Wow lotta reading... I think it shows that I am talking about how much I know about the Hurricanes which is alot for your FYI! And I was saying that Lindholm and Hanifin are going to become great players, NO of course not Hamilton and Hanifin aren't equal! Not until Hanifin gets good that is.
Jun. 26, 2018 at 9:21 a.m.
Quoting: tadhockey
In terms of players who could fill that #2 LHD spot, I would be highly suspect of Fleury or Dahlbeck. Bean is a nice prospect but probably not ready for full-time NHL duty, never mind a top 4 position. I would expect for them to make a run at someone via trade or free agency who can fill in that spot, at least for this season.

I think you have to anticipate a 21 year old rookie to grow. Sure he averaged 16 minutes a night as a 3rd pairing guy, but not many 21 year old D can play in the NHL. He was getting more ice-time near the end of the season than he did in the beginning. I don;t think its unreasonable to have him playing a #4 role by the middle or end of next season.
Jun. 26, 2018 at 9:50 a.m.
Quoting: Hockeyplayer1
I think you have to anticipate a 21 year old rookie to grow. Sure he averaged 16 minutes a night as a 3rd pairing guy, but not many 21 year old D can play in the NHL. He was getting more ice-time near the end of the season than he did in the beginning. I don;t think its unreasonable to have him playing a #4 role by the middle or end of next season.

Maybe by the end, but you certainly can't expect it and need to make a move in case it doesn't happen. Fleury was being absolutely caved-in on the third pairing, posting a -4.5 Corsi Rel% and an xGF% which ranks in the bottom 20% league wide, despite seeing relatively favorable zone start deployment and competition.

It could happen, but I wouldn't bank on it. I would be exploring other options for a short-term #2 LHD, if you don't intend to put Faulk there.
Jun. 26, 2018 at 10:01 a.m.
People who use that Doguie has been traded twice narrative aren't supplying context for why he was traded. Boston was not going to pay him what he wanted, so they moved him. Same thing happened to Saad (mostly because they couldn't afford to pay him that).

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit