Forums/NHL Trades

(CGY / CAR) - Hanifin, Lindholm for Hamilton, Fox, Ferland

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Apr. 8, 2019 at 1:44 p.m.
Quoting: drewjenks
I'm just rubbing the dude.

I didn't predict Lindholm becoming a PPG player outta nowhere and Fox not signing in Carolina ... both were fairly unpredictable.

Those made the difference in the trade and gave CGY the win (Calgary also signed Lindholm / Hanifin to surprisingly good contracts).

Hamilton is still better than Hanifin though.

So pretty much you just wont admit you were wrong.
Apr. 9, 2019 at 1:09 a.m.
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
So pretty much you just wont admit you were wrong.

"I didn't predict" ....... "Those made the difference in the trade and gave CGY the win"

I just did you loser.
Apr. 9, 2019 at 9:18 a.m.
"I didn't predict" ....... "Those made the difference in the trade and gave CGY the win"

I just did you loser.

There's no way you're a 23 year old adult.
Apr. 9, 2019 at 10:43 a.m.
There's no way you're a 23 year old adult.

I can read.
Apr. 9, 2019 at 10:53 a.m.
I can read.

Sorry; I'm all out of gold star stickers, kid.
habs_fan123 and AndrewLadd liked this.
Apr. 9, 2019 at 5:50 p.m.
Sorry; I'm all out of gold star stickers, kid.

You can not.

Lolcow.
Jun. 29, 2019 at 3:25 a.m.
Worked out well for Carolina, I always liked Doogie Hamilton even on Boston... WAnted Vegas to take Ferland if they exposed him to the expansion draft too smile... Flames were not as good as their record as the playoffs showed pretty fast wink...
Jul. 6, 2019 at 7:24 p.m.
One year ago I was horrified by the trade but now I realize it was a very good trade for both sides for this year. However with the departure of Fox and potential departure in Ferland the long term win goes to Calgary. At the time of writing the trade is now a #3D and #1RW (arguably) for a #1D (arguably) and 2nd and a 3rd. Calgary wins long term. Contracts are all team favorable as all were Tre deals
Gmonwy liked this.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:49 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Carolina Gives Up:
Elias Lindholm
Noah Hanifin

Carolina Gets:
Anttoni Honka
Jamieson Rees
Dougie Hamilton
2020 2nd/3rd
1 Year of Michael Ferland

Not as bad as it seemed halfway through the year, but still not great.
Oct. 21, 2020 at 9:15 a.m.
habs_fan
Quoting: Hockeylover360
This is a blockbuster, I'd the Hurricanes win but if you compare the pieces.
Hanifin is a solid 3 and is only 21, Hamilton is 24 and is a solid 2 but has now been traded twice.
Lindholm is a good 2nd liner, Ferland is also a 2nd liner but has had only one year of 2nd line production so far.
Fox is here to make the deal sweeter for Carolina so overall Carolina wins

Quoting: Missouri
I think this shows a lack of familiarity with the Hurricanes recent play.

You seem to assume that Hamilton and Hanifin are roughly equal, when that simply is not true. Hamilton is a true #1 defenseman, making just about anyone with a tad bit of skill a positive player. Although the Hamilton-Giordano pair was symbiotic, there's no question that Hamilton had more success when away from Giordano: just check their WOWY charts.

Meanwhile, although Hanifin certainly had a solid season, he was absolutely put into a more sheltered role, as the Slavin-Pesce top pair ate up most of the difficult minutes. While he's probably a high-end middle pairing guy right now, there's no doubt he is the inferior player to Hamilton, and I personally see his ceiling is lower than Dougie's, if he even reaches it.

Lindholm has never been, and never will be, a dominant scorer. On a Carolina team where he was consistently paired with Jeff Skinner, Lindholm never produced more than 45 points in a season, and has a low shooting percentage for a top-six forward. We're at the point where his shooting skill is a known minus to his game, and although he grades better defensively and as a playmaker, I would not expect him to crack 20 goals or 60 points in any season. Additionally, if and when the Flames pay him just south of $5mil per season, they will probably not be getting their money's worth.

I'll admit Ferland and Fox were probably irrelevant pieces to the Flames, so Calgary probably got more value from their perspective, but there's no question in my mind that Hamilton easily beats Hanifin and makes up part of the difference between Lindholm and Ferland. Adding Fox likely puts this over the top for Carolina, although we'll have to wait a few years to see how this trade truly grades out.

Wow lotta reading... I think it shows that I am talking about how much I know about the Hurricanes which is alot for your FYI! And I was saying that Lindholm and Hanifin are going to become great players, NO of course not Hamilton and Hanifin aren't equal! Not until Hanifin gets good that is.[/quote]

Quoting: tad77
The door is open for Faulk to be traded, although it would be interesting to see if they attempt to put Faulk or Dougie on their off sides, so that they're in one-timer position. Additionally, with the organization struggling to sign their RFAs, it wouldn't surprise me if they keep Faulk just because he's under contract.

In terms of players who could fill that #2 LHD spot, I would be highly suspect of Fleury or Dahlbeck. Bean is a nice prospect but probably not ready for full-time NHL duty, never mind a top 4 position. I would expect for them to make a run at someone via trade or free agency who can fill in that spot, at least for this season.

I think this shows a lack of familiarity with the Hurricanes recent play.

You seem to assume that Hamilton and Hanifin are roughly equal, when that simply is not true. Hamilton is a true #1 defenseman, making just about anyone with a tad bit of skill a positive player. Although the Hamilton-Giordano pair was symbiotic, there's no question that Hamilton had more success when away from Giordano: just check their WOWY charts.

Meanwhile, although Hanifin certainly had a solid season, he was absolutely put into a more sheltered role, as the Slavin-Pesce top pair ate up most of the difficult minutes. While he's probably a high-end middle pairing guy right now, there's no doubt he is the inferior player to Hamilton, and I personally see his ceiling is lower than Dougie's, if he even reaches it.

Lindholm has never been, and never will be, a dominant scorer. On a Carolina team where he was consistently paired with Jeff Skinner, Lindholm never produced more than 45 points in a season, and has a low shooting percentage for a top-six forward. We're at the point where his shooting skill is a known minus to his game, and although he grades better defensively and as a playmaker, I would not expect him to crack 20 goals or 60 points in any season. Additionally, if and when the Flames pay him just south of $5mil per season, they will probably not be getting their money's worth.

I'll admit Ferland and Fox were probably irrelevant pieces to the Flames, so Calgary probably got more value from their perspective, but there's no question in my mind that Hamilton easily beats Hanifin and makes up part of the difference between Lindholm and Ferland. Adding Fox likely puts this over the top for Carolina, although we'll have to wait a few years to see how this trade truly grades out.

After Treviling said he wasn't going to trade Dougie, he does! Wow huge suprise. Calgary wins IMO as they got a younger dman who is going to be a elite defenseman in a year or 2 and they get Lindholm who i also think is going to be a dominant scorer in the league for years to come.

Quoting: Captain_Canada16
Trade works great both ways but the Flames had to make this trade.

1. Adam Fox was reportedly not going to sign with Calgary.
2. Dougie was a distraction in the organization.
3. Ferland's inconsistency and unable to play with Monny/Gaudry made him a bottom six forward.

Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Win-win for both sides. Carolina wasn't gonna sign Lindholm ... Hanifin also was unsigned. And for Calgary, you have to remember Hanifin was an all-star this year. Lindholm is also a very good player.

What do yall think now
Oct. 21, 2020 at 1:06 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Quoting: habs_fan123
Wow lotta reading... I think it shows that I am talking about how much I know about the Hurricanes which is alot for your FYI! And I was saying that Lindholm and Hanifin are going to become great players, NO of course not Hamilton and Hanifin aren't equal! Not until Hanifin gets good that is.

What do yall think now[/quote]

Still a big Win for Calgary! Hanifin has turned into a solid top 4 dman. Lindholm good goal scorer and top 6 forward. The Hurricanes don't have Fox or Ferland anymore and Hamilton is a locker room cancer. So ya i stick to my previous reasons. Calgary wins.
HabsForEver liked this.
Oct. 21, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.

I think this was honestly a win-win in hindsight. Hamilton has truly potential to be a top 5 defender in the league and Lindholm has found a great spot in Calgary, something he could never quite reach in Carolina. Now Hanifin is nothing like Hamilton, especially offensively, but he's a young stud and has room to grow. I can't say if Hamilton is bad for locker room, but doubt it. He's a fantastic defender and last season was one of the best, and he has the statistics to back it up.
Oct. 21, 2020 at 6:04 p.m.
What do yall think now

Still a big Win for Calgary! Hanifin has turned into a solid top 4 dman. Lindholm good goal scorer and top 6 forward. The Hurricanes don't have Fox or Ferland anymore and Hamilton is a locker room cancer. So ya i stick to my previous reasons. Calgary wins.[/quote]

What do yall think now

Still a big Win for Calgary! Hanifin has turned into a solid top 4 dman. Lindholm good goal scorer and top 6 forward. The Hurricanes don't have Fox or Ferland anymore and Hamilton is a locker room cancer. So ya i stick to my previous reasons. Calgary wins.[/quote]

I think this was honestly a win-win in hindsight. Hamilton has truly potential to be a top 5 defender in the league and Lindholm has found a great spot in Calgary, something he could never quite reach in Carolina. Now Hanifin is nothing like Hamilton, especially offensively, but he's a young stud and has room to grow. I can't say if Hamilton is bad for locker room, but doubt it. He's a fantastic defender and last season was one of the best, and he has the statistics to back it up.
KeepUps15 liked this.
Aug. 5, 2021 at 1:02 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
I would probably say Calgary won this trade. But both teams did well.
Aug. 5, 2021 at 3:29 p.m.
jeez I've been so back and forward on this trade for years. Its still hard to see who won this trade but probably Calgary
Aug. 10, 2021 at 10:26 a.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Carolina pieces
Hamilton-Walked
Ferland-walked is now considering retirement(last I saw) due to injury
Fox- Didn't want to be there. Traded
Calgary peices
Lindholm Flames current 1st line center
Hanifin- Flames 1st pairing LD man
I think I know who wins(bias aside)
Aug. 10, 2021 at 11:32 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Gmonwy
Carolina pieces
Hamilton-Walked
Ferland-walked is now considering retirement(last I saw) due to injury
Fox- Didn't want to be there. Traded
Calgary peices
Lindholm Flames current 1st line center
Hanifin- Flames 1st pairing LD man
I think I know who wins(bias aside)

I agree with you, I know who won the trade. Carolina. In those three years, Carolina played in 7 playoff rounds, Calgary 3.
Sure Flames have two players from those trades...totalling 10.7m. But Carolina has 10,7m to use on other players. And though Ferland walked, Canes were able to use that cap for another player in the past two years.
Hard to believe that Hanifan was a 1st pairing LD till this year.
Aug. 20, 2021 at 10:05 p.m.
It's interesting to look at this trade now and compare with what I thought at the time. When it happened my initial reaction as a Hurricanes fan was negative. At that time the Canes had been patiently building with youth, which I thought was a good plan, and I saw this trade as being a departure from that. It was actually a big risk for both teams. The Flames were gambling that Lindholm just needed a change of scenery to realize the potential that made him a 5th overall draft pick, and that both players would grow into the contracts they were going to sign. The Hurricanes were gambling that their rebuild was far enough along that they could afford to give up some future (Fox was a bit of a hedge against that -- I think they already knew he was a hot prospect) for pieces that could push them into the next level right away, which at that time was the playoffs. We can probably judge this trade as a pure hockey trade, i.e. talent for talent, but I'm not sure Carolina would have done it if it wasn't for the fact that Hamilton and Ferland were both already signed to contracts that were pretty low risk for the team while Hanifin and Lindholm were unsigned RFAs.

So how did it work out? I think it exceeded expectations for both teams. Flames fans may be disappointed that Hanifin didn't reach a higher upside, but he's been a 1st or 2nd pair defenseman for 3 years and at age 24 we should be able to expect more of the same for the next 3 years on a contract that doesn't break the bank even if he might be a little overpaid. Any disappointment in Hanifin is more than offset by the huge improvement that Lindholm showed from the day he first put on the Flames sweater. $4.85M AAV for the next 3 years looks like a steal for the kind of offensive numbers he's been putting up. On the Carolina side, they really only got half a season out of Ferland who provided a good spark when he was healthy, but the key was obviously Dougie Hamilton. It took him about half a season to find his way on a team that was already pretty deep on defence, but pairing him with Jaccob Slavin made him an impact player and one of the reasons the Canes made the jump from missing the playoffs to the final four. The only assets the Hurricanes have today from this trade are the two 2nd round picks they got for Fox (the 3rd rounder was a conditional pick that got upgraded to a 2nd), but the winning attitude and team chemistry that the trade helped create should stay with them after Hamilton is gone. Great trade for both teams.
Aug. 20, 2021 at 10:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So we can all officially say Calgary wins as Hanafin and Lindholm are still playing for them while Hamilton is with the Devils, Ferland is with the Canucks on LTIR, and Fox is with the Rangers.
Saskleaf, EsoYeezus69 and Gmonwy liked this.
Oct. 2, 2021 at 3:16 p.m.
Banned
Honestly, don't know who really won this trade, I'll try my best to lay it all out here and break it down, then maybe my mind will make itself up

Dougie Hamilton/Noah Hanifin: Obviously Hamilton played at a Norris caliber level when he joined Carolina, but he's gone now, while Hanifin has been just a solid defender for Calgary, upgrading from his underwhelming showing with the team that originally drafted him

Elias Lindholm/Micheal Ferland: Carolina got one good year of Ferland who produced at a very good rate in his one year stint with the Canes, while Lindholm has become an excellent top six forward for the flames since he got there

Obviously Adam Fox is negligible in this trade having never suited up for either team, but I'd say the total value attained by both teams by their respective two newly-acquired roster players at the time is fairly comparable

I guess I'll lean more towards Calgary since they are getting longer term value for the two roster players they received as opposed to Carolina. That is the best tiebreaker I can come up with
Nov. 1, 2021 at 8:16 p.m.
GoJetsGo
It's honestly bonkers that Adam Fox ended up becoming the best player in the entire deal.

As if there wasn't enough star talent involved already.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 14, 2022 at 5:45 a.m.
GoCanada
Quoting: ProfessorFuzzymuffins
Calgary<--->Carolina
Young top D-Man<--->Young ELITE D-Man
Middle six center<--->Middle six winger
--->Solid defensive prospect

Carolina wins. Not sure exactly what compelled Treliving to okay this deal.

Today Trevliving is Einstein's cousin
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 14, 2022 at 8:21 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: jassan28
Today Trevliving is Einstein's cousin

This trade has gone back and forth. I dont think we've ever seen a trade where two non franchise players were traded and later became Franchise level players
Saskleaf and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Mar. 14, 2022 at 9:46 p.m.
GoCanada
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
This trade has gone back and forth. I dont think we've ever seen a trade where two non franchise players were traded and later became Franchise level players

Who would have thought FOX would be the face of the trade with highest value
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
May 1, 2022 at 12:44 a.m.
Calgary got a top-pairing D signed long-term and drama-free, plus one of the best #1C in the NHL (40 goals, 80 points, +57, plays on all situations and should either win or be the runner up in the Selke this year). Both still have years left on their contracts at around $4.5M each.

I don't know what Carolina got for Hamilton, Ferland and Fox - but none of them are there anymore.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit