SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(BUF / STL) - Thompson, Berglund, Sobotka for O'Reilly

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 2, 2018 at 9:27 a.m.
Reviewing this off season Boterill crushed it. And my thoughts have changed to give Buffalo the Win on this one. Goals are our most needed thing (along with a laundry list of others...lol). Just on the existing "now" players (Berglund + Sobotka = 28 goals) vs (O'Reilly 24 goals) So I think it's actually close just on this but still STL win based on money we're paying.

Now add in the future of Thompson and the draft picks. Clear Buffalo win, but not for years. Which is OK in my book.

Our defense is much better now and in the future too. (Dahlin plus this years D heavy draft)

We had the worst goaltending in the league last year. Sub 0.900 save percentage. I'd estimate a 0.920 average for 2019 with upgraded tenders and D.

We'll see how it all pans out but I give BOTS a 9 out of 10 in the off season (assuming Reinhart gets signed reasonable and long term).

Prediction: Challenging for playoff spot.
Finn2016 liked this.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 6:54 p.m.
GM67
I think this is a great trade for both sides because the BLUES get the Center they need and the Sabres get two solid "Place Holders" while their draft picks continue to develop, plus a 1st round pick and 2nd Round pick. These two picks will help Buffalo add studs to their prospect pool. With this 1st round pick the Sabres now have THREE 1st rounders for next years draft. They will most likely finish close to the top of the draft so they will get another huge stud player plus two more high end players along with ALL their remaining picks. The Sabres have all their draft picks for the next 3 years so it's good for them going forward. As for TAGE THOMPSON they got a huge big player who can score and will play right now. In addition to all this Buffalo did not have to pay Ryan O'Reilly his big 7.5 million dollar bonus so BAM that's big for Buffalo. In the end of this trade, unless the BLUES win the Stanley Cup and Ryan scores a lot in the playoffs to get them there the SABRES ARE THE CLEAR WINNER and they get the chicken dinner.
Dahlin_On_Me liked this.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 9:17 p.m.
I think this is a fair deal for both sides, and I am sure the Blues are happy with getting out of Berlunds and Sobotkas contracts. Thompson showed promise but was painfully inconsistent and looked lost at times, so no big deal giving him up with the pool of prospects the Blues have coming. I think Boterill will eventually flip one of the contracts for some additional prospects and picks at the trade DL. Blues now have the depth at center they have desired for years.... but O Reilly brings with him some lockerroom baggage and his skating leaves something to be desired. I think he is a bit overpaid but it is worth the price for a team that is ready to win now. I am interested to see how the Sabers use the players they acquired, as well as future plans for the rebuild. Here is wishing the best out of the trade for both teams.
Dahlin_On_Me liked this.
Jul. 4, 2018 at 12:10 a.m.
Quoting: kaljakori
St. Louis wins this easily. They get a top-3 two-way center in the league for Thompson and two picks AND unload TWO terrible contracts while they're at it.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY "TOP-3 TWO WAY CENTER IN THE LEAGUE"?

If I say Crosby, Bergeron, Kopitar, Tavares, Scheifele, Getzlaf, Coutourier.....are you going to tell me O'Rielly has a better overall game than all but 2 of them......?
Jul. 18, 2018 at 11:46 p.m.
Robert Thomas Szn
Quoting: drewjenks
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY "TOP-3 TWO WAY CENTER IN THE LEAGUE"?

If I say Crosby, Bergeron, Kopitar, Tavares, Scheifele, Getzlaf, Coutourier.....are you going to tell me O'Rielly has a better overall game than all but 2 of them......?

Top-3 means "plays on the 1st line".

Anyhow, the Blues win, but Buffalo gets a good prospect and two picks. Not a bad haul, even if they took on two awful contracts. O'Reilly bolsters the power play and is a big net-front presence. Neither team really "lost" here.
Jul. 19, 2018 at 1:41 a.m.
Quoting: Gearhead
Top-3 means "plays on the 1st line".

Anyhow, the Blues win, but Buffalo gets a good prospect and two picks. Not a bad haul, even if they took on two awful contracts. O'Reilly bolsters the power play and is a big net-front presence. Neither team really "lost" here.

We'll now you're CLEARLY changing your story....
Jul. 22, 2018 at 12:37 p.m.
Robert Thomas Szn
We'll now you're CLEARLY changing your story....

How? I just said there are no "losers" in this trade, but the Blues will likely benefit more from O'Reilly than the Sabres will from Thompson and the two picks. The Blues technically "won" but everyone got what they wanted.
Jul. 23, 2018 at 3:15 a.m.
How? I just said there are no "losers" in this trade, but the Blues will likely benefit more from O'Reilly than the Sabres will from Thompson and the two picks. The Blues technically "won" but everyone got what they wanted.

"They get a top-3 two-way center in the league"
"Top-3 means - plays on the 1st line".

He wen't from being a top 3 two-way center in the NHL to being a 1st line center. That's called changing your story.

Neither of which is true anyways - he's a 2nd line center.
Jul. 23, 2018 at 12:46 p.m.
Robert Thomas Szn
"They get a top-3 two-way center in the league"
"Top-3 means - plays on the 1st line".

He wen't from being a top 3 two-way center in the NHL to being a 1st line center. That's called changing your story.

Neither of which is true anyways - he's a 2nd line center.

No, it isn't. It's usage of hockey terminology, similar to other terms like "bottom-6."

Also I could see O'Reilly playing on the first line, most likely with a line of Schwartz/Fabbri-O'Reilly-Tarasenko. I think Army will want to keep the current first line and play O'Reilly as the 2nd line center with Fabbri and Perron on the wings, though.
Jul. 23, 2018 at 8:07 p.m.
No, it isn't. It's usage of hockey terminology, similar to other terms like "bottom-6."

Also I could see O'Reilly playing on the first line, most likely with a line of Schwartz/Fabbri-O'Reilly-Tarasenko. I think Army will want to keep the current first line and play O'Reilly as the 2nd line center with Fabbri and Perron on the wings, though.

"Top-3 Center" .... as far as hockey terminology goes .... means a Center that plays (or can play) on his teams 1st, 2nd or 3rd line.

"Top-3 two-way center in the league" .... as far as hockey terminology goes .... or any other terminology .... means he's one of the 3 best two-way Centers in the NHL.

"Top-3 Forward" ..... actually does mean they play on the 1st line (for future reference).

"Number 1 Center" ..... means you're a center that plays on the 1st line (more reference material).

Any description of a player that ends with "In The League" ..... means your comparing that person to everyone in the league (I'll stop now).
Nov. 29, 2018 at 7:48 p.m.
I just scrolled this thread quickly
12-13 say stil win
2-3 say buf win
And several say fAIR DEAL

25 games in the first the blues gave in 2019 is shaping up to be a lottery pick
Stl is in the cellar
Buf is at the top of the league

ut oh Blues
palhal and wojme liked this.
Nov. 30, 2018 at 1:51 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: buxvet
12-13 say stil win
2-3 say buf win

Stl is in the cellar

And the other thing the Sabres got was long term cap relief to spend on an other player(s)

ut oh Blues
wojme liked this.
Nov. 30, 2018 at 6:23 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
12-13 say stil win
2-3 say buf win

Stl is in the cellar

ut oh Blues

I can't stand this narrative that somehow the Blues lost this trade because of the standings. ROR is our leading scorer and hasn't done anything to question his work ethic/dedication/leadership abilities. He's not the one to blame for the Blues sucking - in fact, we've been bad for an entire calendar year at this point, long before ROR joined the team. I can't imagine where we'd be without making the trade... it wouldn't be at the top of the league, that's for sure.
Caufzi and MasterMatt23 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2018 at 8:11 p.m.
Quoting: A_K
I can't stand this narrative that somehow the Blues lost this trade because of the standings. ROR is our leading scorer and hasn't done anything to question his work ethic/dedication/leadership abilities. He's not the one to blame for the Blues sucking - in fact, we've been bad for an entire calendar year at this point, long before ROR joined the team. I can't imagine where we'd be without making the trade... it wouldn't be at the top of the league, that's for sure.

I was more commenting on the trade being a loss as the 1st the blues gave up is looking to be a lottery pick
Makes a huge diff
A_K liked this.
Dec. 1, 2018 at 8:22 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
I was more commenting on the trade being a loss as the 1st the blues gave up is looking to be a lottery pick
Makes a huge diff

luckily our gm was wise enough to put top 10 protection it, but yeah, with the way the Blues are playing, even losing another pick in the teens could be pretty brutal.
Dec. 1, 2018 at 10:04 p.m.
luckily our gm was wise enough to put top 10 protection it, but yeah, with the way the Blues are playing, even losing another pick in the teens could be pretty brutal.

Oh really, see I did not know that
Not a good night again
AZ 5 - Blues 1
Dec. 19, 2018 at 1:19 p.m.

Well now that Berglund is gone, trade looks better for the Blues lol
Dec. 19, 2018 at 2:48 p.m.
Quoting: Chopper02
Well now that Berglund is gone, trade looks better for the Blues lol

It looks better for the Sabres. Berglund was a contract dump.
wojme and Shibbal18 liked this.
Dec. 19, 2018 at 3:09 p.m.
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
It looks better for the Sabres. Berglund was a contract dump.

He can provide a service when he wants to, problem is Blues didn't want him and Berglund didn't want Buffalo
Dec. 19, 2018 at 3:35 p.m.
Quoting: Chopper02
He can provide a service when he wants to, problem is Blues didn't want him and Berglund didn't want Buffalo

Sure, he can provide a service. But his contract didn't reflect the service he's able to provide. Which is why the Blues didn't want him. And he didn't want to play the role commensurate with the service he's able to provide. Which is why he didn't want to be in Buffalo.
wojme and Shibbal18 liked this.
Dec. 19, 2018 at 4:22 p.m.
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
Sure, he can provide a service. But his contract didn't reflect the service he's able to provide. Which is why the Blues didn't want him. And he didn't want to play the role commensurate with the service he's able to provide. Which is why he didn't want to be in Buffalo.

As a Blues fan, I'm more than aware of his contract being bad. He can be a 20 goal scorer which is seemingly worth 3 mil nowadays, it was the other stuff he was useless in.
Dec. 21, 2018 at 4:45 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
The trade originally reminded me of Leafs/Pens Kessel deal. Leafs traded Kessel for long term cap relief. Buffalo were going nowhere with ROR, (like the Leafs), so the trade was made.
If the Sabres truly have the Berglund termination stick (I'm sure it will be appealed) and get even further cap relief it will be a BIG win for the Sabres.
Feb. 20, 2019 at 3:59 a.m.
Robert Thomas Szn
And just like that, the Blues won this trade. God these comments aged well, huh?
mokumboi and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 22, 2019 at 6:21 p.m.
The Sabres lost this trade so bad lol
mokumboi liked this.
May 31, 2019 at 8:47 a.m.
exo2769
12-13 say stil win
2-3 say buf win

Stl is in the cellar

ut oh Blues

Oh how the tides have turned. I'm not saying any of the discussion previously had was incorrect...it just goes to show how projecting futures...is crazy hard...wow Berg gone...(which was a positive for BUF!) Sobotka widely viewed as a cap dump. Pick #30 or #31...vs possible COL/OTT situation. It's amazing...both good and bad amazing...depending on the view point on how this trade changed.
mhockey91 and Rom liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit