Forums/Armchair-GM

The Tanev trade that Leafs fans should love

Created by: alwaysnextyear
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 2, 2018
Published: Jul. 2, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Leafs give up what will be a very late first and a mid-round pick in 2019 for two years of Tanev without taking on any additional cap hit.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
6$6,500,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Tanev, Christopher ($2,225,000 retained)
VAN
  1. Martin, Matt
  2. 2019 1st round pick (TOR)
  3. 2019 4th round pick (STL)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$70,745,833$2,550,000$4,550,000$8,754,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$2,225,000$2,225,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$850,000$850,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 2, 2018 at 3:19 p.m.
Beauty! well done on that Tanev trade. the best part of that trade for the leafs, is that Tanev is a 2.25mill player for when you guys sign Matthews and Marner
Jul. 2, 2018 at 3:24 p.m.
Sexiest in the world
What a trade!!!

Canucks trading a fantastic shot suppression defenseman for an overpayed 4th liner. Good work!
Jul. 2, 2018 at 3:30 p.m.
alwaysnextyear
Quoting: RC333
What a trade!!!

Canucks trading a fantastic shot suppression defenseman for an overpayed 4th liner. Good work!

Perhaps you missed the picks in the deal. That's what the real return is.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 3:45 p.m.
Value about right!
Jul. 2, 2018 at 4:07 p.m.
JK123
Quoting: Doug7004
Value about right!

not really
RC333 liked this.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 4:08 p.m.
Sexiest in the world
Quoting: alwaysnextyear
Perhaps you missed the picks in the deal. That's what the real return is.

You mean the late 1st and a 4th round pick!?!? That makes it so much better wowie

Wait a second, So your telling me not only do we give Toronto someone who can actually defend we also take Martin of your hands too. And in return we get a late first and a 4th. What a time to be alive!!
Jul. 2, 2018 at 4:10 p.m.
alwaysnextyear
Quoting: Nucks17
not really

At the moment I think the value is about right, because the Canucks should've traded him last offseason when Tanev's value was quite a bit higher. If he can stay healthy and get back to his usual level of play then Van could likely get more than this at the trade deadline though.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 4:11 p.m.
JK123
You mean the late 1st and a 4th round pick!?!? That makes it so much better wowie

haha, toronto fans be like martin for tavev? and maybe we’ll add a 3rd round pick??
RC333 liked this.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 4:12 p.m.
Sexiest in the world
haha, toronto fans be like martin for tavev? and maybe we’ll add a 3rd round pick??

LOL they're still high off that Tavares signing. I would be too Tbh
Nucks17 liked this.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 4:12 p.m.
alwaysnextyear

Wait a second, So your telling me not only do we give Toronto someone who can actually defend we also take Martin of your hands too. And in return we get a late first and a 4th. What a time to be alive!!

I have the feeling you're going to be pretty disappointed with the actual return in an eventual Tanev trade. It might end up being for a bit more than what I've proposed here, but I doubt by much.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 4:13 p.m.
alwaysnextyear
I have the feeling you're going to be pretty disappointed with the actual return in an eventual Tanev trade. It might end up being for a bit more than what I've proposed here, but I doubt by much.

And I'm a Canucks fan. Just one grounded in reality.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 4:13 p.m.
JK123
At the moment I think the value is about right, because the Canucks should've traded him last offseason when Tanev's value was quite a bit higher. If he can stay healthy and get back to his usual level of play then Van could likely get more than this at the trade deadline though.

Ok fair shout, i do believe that tanev value is slightly lower this year but not by much
Jul. 2, 2018 at 4:14 p.m.
JK123
LOL they're still high off that Tavares signing. I would be too Tbh

haha yeah true
Jul. 2, 2018 at 4:21 p.m.
Sexiest in the world

I think ur right. Jim Benning is terrible at everything except drafting
Jul. 2, 2018 at 4:23 p.m.
Sexiest in the world
Ok fair shout, i do believe that tanev value is slightly lower this year but not by much

His value may be lower but it's high to us. He's our best defender and if Hughes or Juolevi make the team Tanev is the only true best linemate for them
Jul. 2, 2018 at 4:45 p.m.

not really

Instead of thinking we know more than others, lets use some previous trades to backup the claims. Here are some previous players that were traded that are at least slightly comparable to Tanev:

Sami Vatanen
Travis Hamonic
Nik Hjalmarsson

IMHO, Tanev isn't as good or valuable as any one of those guys at the times of those trades. Obviously Hamonic now seeing how badly he's played and what where the picks ended up, are unpredictable. Vatanen is the better overall dman. Hjalmarsson is the more experienced cup winner and Hamonic as I said, at least at the time of the trade was a better player than Tanev.

So I think he deserves less than those guys but the values on those trades are a little all over the place so its hard to estimate. All I know is 1st rounders regardless if they are late or not, carry a lot of value but they carry even more value when they are before the season starts. Yes we all assume Toronto should be good next year but lets just imagine they don't kill it as much as people think and lose in the 1st round again, that pick is anywhere between 17-24. Boeser - 23rd, Konecny - 24th and so on. A really good player can still be had at that range and its not like TO is a lock to win the cup. How many times did Washington expect to win it before they actually did?

I think a 1st and a 4th is a solid return for Tanev. Evenh if that 1st is late, some of you make it out to be garbage. Might want to recheck some of the gems that have gone int he 20-30 range the past 5 years..... I think the part where things get a little dicey is Martin, He still has another year on his contract. thats' the hard part to swallow IMO. Retaining on Tanev now for the whole year and not just the deadline PLUS taking Martin for essentially two full season is IMO too much.

How would one resolve this? IMO remove the retention on Tanev or remove Martin. Its one or the other. Not both. IF both aspects must be included, that 4th needs to be upgraded to a 2nd IMO.

So assuming the basic structure of the trade stay intact, these are the options that would be reasonable for both IMO:

Tanev (50%)
for
Martin
1st 2019
2nd 2019

or

Tanev
For
1st 2019
4th 2019

And this is also imagining Tanev at full value. Dubas specifically wanting Tanev and willing to pay the price. Because if its me, I wouldn't even do Tanev straight up for a late 1st. I think Tanev is one of the most overrated Dmen in the league. Shot suppression is nice and all but you know what's nicer? Playing 82 games season. Scoring more than bottom 6 dman. Those are also very nice things. If Tanev can't atleast meet two of those objectives half way then all that suppression can be thrown in the garbage.

Anyways I tried to be impartial by showing that Tanev still has value regardless of what I think but the above trade isn't all that far off. I'm not sure what Nucks fans are expecting but if you think its a Hamonic return I guarantee it won't happen. CGY paid out the nose for Hamonic and got burned, GM's took notice of that and won;t make that same mistake.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 5:01 p.m.
Sexiest in the world
Quoting: F50marco
Instead of thinking we know more than others, lets use some previous trades to backup the claims. Here are some previous players that were traded that are at least slightly comparable to Tanev:

Sami Vatanen
Travis Hamonic
Nik Hjalmarsson

IMHO, Tanev isn't as good or valuable as any one of those guys at the times of those trades. Obviously Hamonic now seeing how badly he's played and what where the picks ended up, are unpredictable. Vatanen is the better overall dman. Hjalmarsson is the more experienced cup winner and Hamonic as I said, at least at the time of the trade was a better player than Tanev.

So I think he deserves less than those guys but the values on those trades are a little all over the place so its hard to estimate. All I know is 1st rounders regardless if they are late or not, carry a lot of value but they carry even more value when they are before the season starts. Yes we all assume Toronto should be good next year but lets just imagine they don't kill it as much as people think and lose in the 1st round again, that pick is anywhere between 17-24. Boeser - 23rd, Konecny - 24th and so on. A really good player can still be had at that range and its not like TO is a lock to win the cup. How many times did Washington expect to win it before they actually did?

I think a 1st and a 4th is a solid return for Tanev. Evenh if that 1st is late, some of you make it out to be garbage. Might want to recheck some of the gems that have gone int he 20-30 range the past 5 years..... I think the part where things get a little dicey is Martin, He still has another year on his contract. thats' the hard part to swallow IMO. Retaining on Tanev now for the whole year and not just the deadline PLUS taking Martin for essentially two full season is IMO too much.

How would one resolve this? IMO remove the retention on Tanev or remove Martin. Its one or the other. Not both. IF both aspects must be included, that 4th needs to be upgraded to a 2nd IMO.

So assuming the basic structure of the trade stay intact, these are the options that would be reasonable for both IMO:

Tanev (50%)
for
Martin
1st 2019
2nd 2019

or

Tanev
For
1st 2019
4th 2019

And this is also imagining Tanev at full value. Dubas specifically wanting Tanev and willing to pay the price. Because if its me, I wouldn't even do Tanev straight up for a late 1st. I think Tanev is one of the most overrated Dmen in the league. Shot suppression is nice and all but you know what's nicer? Playing 82 games season. Scoring more than bottom 6 dman. Those are also very nice things. If Tanev can't atleast meet two of those objectives half way then all that suppression can be thrown in the garbage.

Anyways I tried to be impartial by showing that Tanev still has value regardless of what I think but the above trade isn't all that far off. I'm not sure what Nucks fans are expecting but if you think its a Hamonic return I guarantee it won't happen. CGY paid out the nose for Hamonic and got burned, GM's took notice of that and won;t make that same mistake.

I like that you took the time to do this. My only knock is that hjalmarsson isn't better than Tanev. And your reasoning of that he's a cup winner is weak. So your telling me just bcuz he won a cup he's better? It had nothing to do with the team he played for?

Aside from that you keep saying you don't think Tanev is good and that's fine everyone is entitled to their opinion but he's one of those quiet defenceman who aren't flashy but are good to hold the D together
Jul. 2, 2018 at 5:12 p.m.
I like that you took the time to do this. My only knock is that hjalmarsson isn't better than Tanev. And your reasoning of that he's a cup winner is weak. So your telling me just bcuz he won a cup he's better? It had nothing to do with the team he played for?

Aside from that you keep saying you don't think Tanev is good and that's fine everyone is entitled to their opinion but he's one of those quiet defenceman who aren't flashy but are good to hold the D together

Its not opinion man, GM's look for this specifically. Cup winners who played important parts of their teams winning. Hjalmarsson made up the "big 3" with Keith and Seabrook the last two times they won. He's a good dman who many teams coveted and has accomplished a lot in his career. I got to keep telling people on here, its not what YOU think. its what GM's think. I guarantee you GM's, at least at the time Hjalmarsson was traded, had way more value than Tanev.

I know what Tanev does good, he does do it very good but that gets diminished a lot IMO by the fact that he can't stay healthy. If your paying for a player for the whole year, you need to get as much value back as possible and injury prone players are not those guys. Plus I can get being a defensive dman but if you are labeled one of those guys, you value is nowhere near what other more offensive top 4 dmen are worth. Replacing what he brings on the free agent market is much easier to do than getting PP quarterbacks who play top 4 and score 30-50 points a year. Shot suppression is nice but if doesn't lead to you generating offense, its somewhat lessened. Tanev's lack of points makes believe it doesn't lead to much offense.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 5:58 p.m.
Sexiest in the world
Quoting: F50marco
Its not opinion man, GM's look for this specifically. Cup winners who played important parts of their teams winning. Hjalmarsson made up the "big 3" with Keith and Seabrook the last two times they won. He's a good dman who many teams coveted and has accomplished a lot in his career. I got to keep telling people on here, its not what YOU think. its what GM's think. I guarantee you GM's, at least at the time Hjalmarsson was traded, had way more value than Tanev.

I know what Tanev does good, he does do it very good but that gets diminished a lot IMO by the fact that he can't stay healthy. If your paying for a player for the whole year, you need to get as much value back as possible and injury prone players are not those guys. Plus I can get being a defensive dman but if you are labeled one of those guys, you value is nowhere near what other more offensive top 4 dmen are worth. Replacing what he brings on the free agent market is much easier to do than getting PP quarterbacks who play top 4 and score 30-50 points a year. Shot suppression is nice but if doesn't lead to you generating offense, its somewhat lessened. Tanev's lack of points makes believe it doesn't lead to much offense.

Its like I'm talking to a wall
Jul. 2, 2018 at 10:13 p.m.
Its like I'm talking to a wall

I not sure whats so complicated. I understood everything you said..........
RC333 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll