SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

The Leafs need Tanev more than the Canucks need Nylander

Jul. 2, 2018 at 5:37 p.m.
For all the TO fans complaining that Tanev isn't worth Nylander, you're forgetting about who needs which player more. TO's playoff performance not viewed with homer goggles showed a massive need for a player like Tanev, and the fact is TO's need is greater.

So get over it, don't freak out when it happens, and be very happy when it does. I've watched Tanev his entire career, you'll be getting a far better d-man than most of you realize.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 9:48 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I really don't get the logic at all. Leafs lost game 7 (and it might have happened anyway) two bad goals by Anderson and bad play by LHD Gardiner. In what world, does Tanev make that much difference in game 7. Canucks finished out of the playoffs by 25 points, where was Tanev's greatness.
Leafs almost assuredly will be going with Zaitsev and Hainsey on the right side same as last year. Tanev would replace Carrick/Polak. Would be an improvement when he plays. The question Tanev worth Nylander. Most Leafs fans say no.
Please do me favour, be one of very few Canucks fans that has the ability to trade Tanev to another team besides the Leafs.....just to show his value. But when 95% of the trades are Nylander for Tanev or Liljegren and 1st for Tanev, I can understand why Leaf fans (and maybe I just speaking for myself) really are getting tired of the seemingly begging of trading of Tanev to the Leafs.
Daryl liked this.
Jul. 4, 2018 at 10:25 a.m.
Dubas is trading Marner ++ for Tanev, it’s all a part of the #LindenningPlan

smile
Jul. 4, 2018 at 12:18 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Edited Jul. 4, 2018 at 12:26 p.m.
Quoting: MrBooth
Dubas is trading Marner ++ for Tanev, it’s all a part of the #LindenningPlan

smile

And Benning is trading Petterson ++ for Hainsey.

Hainsey = LeAdErShIp
Jul. 4, 2018 at 1:14 p.m.
Quoting: Daryl
And Benning is trading Petterson ++ for Hainsey.

Hainsey = LeAdErShIp

I mean, hey, dat culture we’ve built in Vancouver tho
Daryl liked this.
Jul. 5, 2018 at 9:09 a.m.
Leafs Fan
Hockey is a "strong-link" game, meaning the stars on a team drive the results.
Nylander is on an excellent trajectory to be a star and forward talent is more accurately projected to another team than defensemen talent because there are better individual stats on offense.
Tanev is a rock-solid defensive RHD. I like him. But this trade smacks of Chiarelli's Taylor Hall for Larsson.
I say no thank you. Leafs need to be patient and see how their D develop this year. Their AHL team had a fairly strong defense IIRC.
Daryl liked this.
Jul. 5, 2018 at 9:40 a.m.
billy80
Why Tanev?

I will go for M.Dumba or J.Trouba who are younger and has higher ceiling.
Maybe trade for Ristolainen so Nylander can play with his brother.
Jul. 5, 2018 at 1:06 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Why trade Nylander at all?

Let the talented prospects on entry-level contracts come up and fill the RHD spots.
Davisoc liked this.
Jul. 9, 2018 at 6:30 p.m.
Edited Jul. 9, 2018 at 6:48 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
I really don't get the logic at all. Leafs lost game 7 (and it might have happened anyway) two bad goals by Anderson and bad play by LHD Gardiner. In what world, does Tanev make that much difference in game 7. Canucks finished out of the playoffs by 25 points, where was Tanev's greatness.
Leafs almost assuredly will be going with Zaitsev and Hainsey on the right side same as last year. Tanev would replace Carrick/Polak. Would be an improvement when he plays. The question Tanev worth Nylander. Most Leafs fans say no.
Please do me favour, be one of very few Canucks fans that has the ability to trade Tanev to another team besides the Leafs.....just to show his value. But when 95% of the trades are Nylander for Tanev or Liljegren and 1st for Tanev, I can understand why Leaf fans (and maybe I just speaking for myself) really are getting tired of the seemingly begging of trading of Tanev to the Leafs.

--

Its not as simple as Gardiners gaffe, Tanev has been shown to suppress about 0.5 goals per game more than the average defenseman. Tell me thats not important. And as far as "depth" goes TO has very little on defence if you're being honest.

Hey, I actually don't want the Leafs to get him, I'd much prefer that doesn't happen and he ends up mentoring Hughes. But he does fit on a pairing with Reilly perfectly.

But sure another example - take Edmonton. After Larsson, their best RHD is Matt Benning tears of joy In that case a trade of Tanev for Puljujarvi would satisfy most Canucks fans. Edmonton would have a great shut down pairing in Tanev and Klefbom.
Jul. 9, 2018 at 6:35 p.m.
Quoting: Daryl
Why trade Nylander at all?

Let the talented prospects on entry-level contracts come up and fill the RHD spots.

like who? you really think an ELC RHD is going to make the difference? wow. No wonder you guys see no value in Tanev.
Jul. 9, 2018 at 7:23 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: Bob_Long
like who? you really think an ELC RHD is going to make the difference? wow. No wonder you guys see no value in Tanev.

Never said Tanev has no value....

Why bother wasting futures when you have a strong prospect pool to come up?
Jul. 9, 2018 at 8:05 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
--

Its not as simple as Gardiners gaffe, Tanev has been shown to suppress about 0.5 goals per game more than the average defenseman. Tell me thats not important. And as far as "depth" goes TO has very little on defence if you're being honest.

I wish you were honest instead of using false logic to justify a trade. Almost all NHL teams have little depth or at least known NHL competency with their bottom end dmen or knowing if their AHLers are NHL good. So by that factual logic, aren't other teams wanting to trade for Tanev? So what is this Canuck fan obsession with trading Tanev to the Leafs and the Leafs only. Can't find one of 29 teams that need a Tanev. Guess not.

I can at least admit that have Tanev (when he's healthy) is an improvement over Carrick/Holl/Ozhigchnov who just might be the Leafs at RHD. Again it's subjective whether Tanev would the difference maker. And certainly subjective if Tanev for Liljegren helps the Leafs when the Leafs are truly making a Cup run in 2019/20 and beyond.

Tanev finished the seasons on LTIR, so he wouldn't been around for shot suppression in game seven now would he.
Jul. 25, 2018 at 1:14 p.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
--

Hey, I actually don't want the Leafs to get him, I'd much prefer that doesn't happen and he ends up mentoring Hughes. But he does fit on a pairing with Reilly perfectly.

But sure another example - take Edmonton. After Larsson, their best RHD is Matt Benning tears of joy In that case a trade of Tanev for Puljujarvi would satisfy most Canucks fans. Edmonton would have a great shut down pairing in Tanev and Klefbom.

But that is where Leaf fans disagree, we have all on the right side: Zaitzev, Hainsey, Carrick, Liljegren, Holl and Rasanen. None of them are number one guys, sure, but all of them look good. Better than Tanev, we basically have him and big boy Holl, and Holl can move the puck.
Sep. 18, 2018 at 1:30 p.m.
Banned
For all the TO fans complaining that Tanev isn't worth Nylander, you're forgetting about who needs which player more. TO's playoff performance not viewed with homer goggles showed a massive need for a player like Tanev, and the fact is TO's need is greater.

So get over it, don't freak out when it happens, and be very happy when it does. I've watched Tanev his entire career, you'll be getting a far better d-man than most of you realize.

The Leafs could use Tanev, I don't think anyone would argue that he would be a good addition to the team. However, a good GM will always use logic and common sense when making moves. You just don't fill a "need" by weakening your team. Look at how well that worked out for Edmonton. Hall for Larsson anyone?

Nylander is one of the top players at 5v5 in the entire league. He generates a tonne of scoring chances and his possession numbers at 5v5 are off the charts. If he gets 1st powerplay time, he could easily score 80+ points a season.

So if we are all being honest and objective, is Tanev even close to the same value as Nylander. Taking need out of the equation and just comparing player for player, Nylander is a star and Tanev is a great stay at home defenceman. Nylander for Tanev is never happening. You'd have to add a 1st rounder, retain salary and also add a prospect like Dahlen. If you don't like it, then just quietly come to the realization that your dream of seeing Nylander a Canuck isn't going to be as easy as you want it to be.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll