SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Erik Karlsson to Tampa Bay rumours ...

Jul. 5, 2018 at 11:33 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
I have read in multiple places that Erik Karlsson could be going to the Lightning. Where am i reading this? Just look up 'Erik Karlsson' and you'll find a ton of discussion. Now, this whole time i have been saying that i think there's no way that they will trade him. And i still don't think they're going to trade him, at least this offseason, but i'm starting to feel like there may be a chance. What i'm unsure about is how Tampa Bay would do this. I don't actually think he's going to the Lightning. If he's traded, which is still an 'if', the Lightning are not the most likely place for him to go. They just extended McDonagh and they already had cap problems. There's no way to make it work unless you trade away some of your other players. Karlsson on the Lightning though would make a scary good team. And as much as i don't think these rumours are true, it still creates interesting discussion.

So the two questions which are kind of the same question are, how will they make it work? And what would they have to give up to get him? I'm thinking they may have to include one of their superstars, which they are probably unwilling to do. None of their superstars are a year away from becoming UFAs though, so Ottawa may have to add. If not their superstars, Lightning fans need to remember that you're not getting a 2-time Norris trophy winner like Karlsson for picks and prospects. Johnson, Palat, or McDonagh might have to be included. Or maybe Sergachev.

I'm interested to hear what you think will happen. Does he stay in Ottawa? Or is he traded? If he's traded, whom is he traded to? And for what return? Let me know what you think. Rumours are rumours, they're not always true, but they can be sometimes. And there are a TON of Erik Karlsson to Tampa Bay rumours.
Jul. 5, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.
Below Market Value
Erik Karlsson will be traded this offseason.
Jul. 5, 2018 at 4:36 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I have read in multiple places that Erik Karlsson could be going to the Lightning. Where am i reading this? Just look up 'Erik Karlsson' and you'll find a ton of discussion. Now, this whole time i have been saying that i think there's no way that they will trade him. And i still don't think they're going to trade him, at least this offseason, but i'm starting to feel like there may be a chance. What i'm unsure about is how Tampa Bay would do this. I don't actually think he's going to the Lightning. If he's traded, which is still an 'if', the Lightning are not the most likely place for him to go. They just extended McDonagh and they already had cap problems. There's no way to make it work unless you trade away some of your other players. Karlsson on the Lightning though would make a scary good team. And as much as i don't think these rumours are true, it still creates interesting discussion.

So the two questions which are kind of the same question are, how will they make it work? And what would they have to give up to get him? I'm thinking they may have to include one of their superstars, which they are probably unwilling to do. None of their superstars are a year away from becoming UFAs though, so Ottawa may have to add. If not their superstars, Lightning fans need to remember that you're not getting a 2-time Norris trophy winner like Karlsson for picks and prospects. Johnson, Palat, or McDonagh might have to be included. Or maybe Sergachev.

I'm interested to hear what you think will happen. Does he stay in Ottawa? Or is he traded? If he's traded, whom is he traded to? And for what return? Let me know what you think. Rumours are rumours, they're not always true, but they can be sometimes. And there are a TON of Erik Karlsson to Tampa Bay rumours.

I don't see it happening with TB. They already have a set top 4 (Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, Stralman). They already extended McD to a nearly $7 mill cap hit. Hedman already makes close to $8 mill. Can't see them adding another defensemen that's going to make 10+ when he's extended. And I doubt they trade McDonagh, even for Karlsson, so soon after extending him.
Jul. 5, 2018 at 7:15 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: mtdavis311
I don't see it happening with TB. They already have a set top 4 (Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, Stralman). They already extended McD to a nearly $7 mill cap hit. Hedman already makes close to $8 mill. Can't see them adding another defensemen that's going to make 10+ when he's extended. And I doubt they trade McDonagh, even for Karlsson, so soon after extending him.

Agreed. If they do acquire him, maybe Brayden Point is involved. What the Lightning have to know though is that they won't get him for picks and prospects. However, i agree, the Lightning can't do it with that little cap space.
Jul. 5, 2018 at 7:15 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Erik Karlsson will be traded this offseason.

Who do you think acquires him? Please don't say Tampa Bay ...
Jul. 5, 2018 at 7:19 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Eklund of HockeyBuzz seems to think the Rangers will be getting Kucherov in a 3-way deal sending Erik Karlsson to the Lightning ... haha right. Lol. This is definitely fake.
Jul. 5, 2018 at 7:27 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Eklund of HockeyBuzz seems to think the Rangers will be getting Kucherov in a 3-way deal sending Erik Karlsson to the Lightning ... haha right. Lol. This is definitely fake.

Darren Dreger is now saying that the Rangers could be involved in this. So Eklund may be kind of correct ... but Kucherov is not involved. Maybe Callahan or Ryan are going to NYR? I still don't think Karlsson is getting traded but i'm starting to think he might.
Jul. 5, 2018 at 8:41 p.m.
NBABound
Darren Dreger is now saying that the Rangers could be involved in this. So Eklund may be kind of correct ... but Kucherov is not involved. Maybe Callahan or Ryan are going to NYR? I still don't think Karlsson is getting traded but i'm starting to think he might .

You sir, are a living contradiction.

From now on you will be known as contradictionfan.
Daryl, LicMysak, Rangsey and 3 others liked this.
Jul. 5, 2018 at 9:27 p.m.
Agreed. If they do acquire him, maybe Brayden Point is involved. What the Lightning have to know though is that they won't get him for picks and prospects. However, i agree, the Lightning can't do it with that little cap space.

**** NO
Jul. 6, 2018 at 12:41 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Mr_cap
You sir, are a living contradiction.

From now on you will be known as contradictionfan.

Erik Karlsson may have been traded but he may not have. It could be to the Lightning, but maybe not.
Jul. 6, 2018 at 12:41 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: BoltsPoint21
**** NO

Okay then, you don't get Karlsson.
Jul. 6, 2018 at 12:46 a.m.
Okay then, you don't get Karlsson.

Asking Tampa Bay to move Point is like asking Vegas to trade Willy Karlsson
Jul. 6, 2018 at 12:49 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Asking Tampa Bay to move Point is like asking Vegas to trade Willy Karlsson

Yeah, i know. Vegas would likely need to give up W Karlsson to get E Karlsson. What do you think is a fair Karlsson to TB trade?
Jul. 6, 2018 at 12:59 a.m.
Yeah, i know. Vegas would likely need to give up W Karlsson to get E Karlsson. What do you think is a fair Karlsson to TB trade?

Vegas didn't want to move Cody Glass. Dallas didn't want to move Heisky.

Why would Tampa move a player that's A) a proven elite talent, B) a guy that's practically their #1 C?

https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/qoct/1718/T.B/pointbr96/wrap
https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/qoct/1718/T.B/stamkst90/wrap

You also have to remember Dorion has little to no leverage to get a high value return for Karlsson that would include an already elite talent. For the Lightning, a fair deal would include Johnson/Miller/Gourde, a mix of prospects and picks and potentially Sergachev or Foote depending on the value of the other prospects and picks.
Jul. 6, 2018 at 2:10 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Vegas didn't want to move Cody Glass. Dallas didn't want to move Heisky.

Why would Tampa move a player that's A) a proven elite talent, B) a guy that's practically their #1 C?

https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/qoct/1718/T.B/pointbr96/wrap
https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/qoct/1718/T.B/stamkst90/wrap

You also have to remember Dorion has little to no leverage to get a high value return for Karlsson that would include an already elite talent. For the Lightning, a fair deal would include Johnson/Miller/Gourde, a mix of prospects and picks and potentially Sergachev or Foote depending on the value of the other prospects and picks.

I'm not saying Tampa should do it. I'm saying that IF they're gonna get Karlsson, they'd need to give up Point. The better idea is to just keep the guys you have and not trade for Karlsson. Would you think it's fair if Stamkos got traded for Duchene, Batherson, Logan Brown, and a 2020 1st? You're unvervaluing Karlsson. You don't get superstars for picks and prospects.
Jul. 6, 2018 at 2:48 a.m.
I'm not saying Tampa should do it. I'm saying that IF they're gonna get Karlsson, they'd need to give up Point. The better idea is to just keep the guys you have and not trade for Karlsson. Would you think it's fair if Stamkos got traded for Duchene, Batherson, Logan Brown, and a 2020 1st? You're unvervaluing Karlsson. You don't get superstars for picks and prospects.

First of all, that's a terrible analogy. You're comparing a player signed long term to a player that can just wait around for a year than walk to a club of his choice. They wouldn't need to give up Point. Vegas rejected an offer for Karlsson because CODY GLASS needed to be included, not WILLIAM KARLSSON. There's a difference between what a player is actually worth in analytics and pure value if you exclude current contract situation as well as other variable including injuries and personal issues. For example, Mike Hoffman would have gone for a 1st+ if he wasn't involved in the abuse allegation. However, due to the allegations, his value plummeted from a 1st+ to a 2nd and a couple of picks. Due to different factors, Karlsson won't get what he's worth in pure, on-ice value, but rather the value at which teams value him out with Dorion having no leverage, and Karlsson having a UFA expiry next offseason.
Jul. 6, 2018 at 2:50 a.m.

You also clearly don't understand how the market works.
Jul. 6, 2018 at 10:24 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
First of all, that's a terrible analogy. You're comparing a player signed long term to a player that can just wait around for a year than walk to a club of his choice. They wouldn't need to give up Point. Vegas rejected an offer for Karlsson because CODY GLASS needed to be included, not WILLIAM KARLSSON. There's a difference between what a player is actually worth in analytics and pure value if you exclude current contract situation as well as other variable including injuries and personal issues. For example, Mike Hoffman would have gone for a 1st+ if he wasn't involved in the abuse allegation. However, due to the allegations, his value plummeted from a 1st+ to a 2nd and a couple of picks. Due to different factors, Karlsson won't get what he's worth in pure, on-ice value, but rather the value at which teams value him out with Dorion having no leverage, and Karlsson having a UFA expiry next offseason.

I'm not saying AT ALL that Tampa SHOULD give up Brayden Point. I'm just saying that you may need to give him up to get Karlsson. I'm not saying Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman, or Vasilevskiy. I actually think Bolts fans overvalue Point a bit. He's an unbelievable player, i know, but he's not a superstar.
About me comparing Stamkos to Karlsson, Karlsson is probably the better player anyway and this would be a sign-and-trade.
And Ottawa may not ask for Point. I'm just saying that they MIGHT need to give him up if they want to get Karlsson. Which is where they have to decide if they're gonna do it or not.
Jul. 9, 2018 at 12:04 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
I'm not saying AT ALL that Tampa SHOULD give up Brayden Point. I'm just saying that you may need to give him up to get Karlsson. I'm not saying Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman, or Vasilevskiy. I actually think Bolts fans overvalue Point a bit. He's an unbelievable player, i know, but he's not a superstar.
About me comparing Stamkos to Karlsson, Karlsson is probably the better player anyway and this would be a sign-and-trade.
And Ottawa may not ask for Point. I'm just saying that they MIGHT need to give him up if they want to get Karlsson. Which is where they have to decide if they're gonna do it or not.

dude, pick a side on something for once. Don’t say, “well they also might not” every damn time. If you think a deal should involve Point, then be firm about it. You’re entitled to your opinion. But this on the fence thing that you do all the time is ridiculous.
Jul. 9, 2018 at 1:06 p.m.

Tampa Bay can solve the cap problems by paying the third team (Rangers) to take on cap space (i.e. Callahan).
Johnson and Killorn won't waive to go to Ottawa but might for New York.
I honestly think Ottawa gets picks, prospects and maybe one of Foote, Sergachev but as you mentioned, Dorion doesn't have much leverage here as its basically, take as much now or get absolutely zero next year when he walks as UFA
Jul. 9, 2018 at 2:32 p.m.
I'm a Skatman

this is the last wake up call one should ever need to never open that site again, let alone mention it on a discussion site who's owners pour so much effort into it that it's become canon in the community in only 2 years. we talked about this before. if this isn't the final nail in the coffin, you are beyond help.
Jul. 9, 2018 at 3:32 p.m.
Nick17FoRcE71
I have heard that it was called off
Jul. 9, 2018 at 7:24 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Barathrum_Obama

this is the last wake up call one should ever need to never open that site again, let alone mention it on a discussion site who's owners pour so much effort into it that it's become canon in the community in only 2 years. we talked about this before. if this isn't the final nail in the coffin, you are beyond help.

I never said they're getting Kucherov ... i said it's fake.
Jul. 9, 2018 at 7:24 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: krakowitz
dude, pick a side on something for once. Don’t say, “well they also might not” every damn time. If you think a deal should involve Point, then be firm about it. You’re entitled to your opinion. But this on the fence thing that you do all the time is ridiculous.

I do think a deal should involve Point. I'm just saying that Pierre Dorion may disagree with me.
Jul. 10, 2018 at 10:14 a.m.
Below Market Value
I do think a deal should involve Point. I'm just saying that Pierre Dorion may disagree with me.

Why on earth would Dorion NOT want a deal centered around Point?
rangersandislesfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll