SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

The Wild aren't going to trade for Panarin...so move on!

Created by: MNBassman
Team: 2018-19 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 11, 2018
Published: Jul. 11, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
2 of Tippett, Kunin, and Greenway start the season in the AHL.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$5,650,000
4$5,050,000
Trades
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
26$79,500,000$64,120,258$25,000$1,725,000$15,379,742
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,750,000$5,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 1
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$916,666$916,666 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,200,000$3,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$687,500$687,500
RW
UFA - 2
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW, C
RFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
RW, LW
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,650,000$5,650,000
RD
UFA - 5
$2,166,667$2,166,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
UFA - 3
$1,062,500$1,062,500
RD
UFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
G
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 11, 2018 at 8:54 a.m.
I love all of this except the Nick Bjugstad part. He reminds me so much of Charlie Coyle but hasn't been quite as productive (he does have a better shot, though). I just worry that we'll forever be left wanting more out of him. That being said if it means getting Tippett, count me in.

Sonny Milano might be one of my favorite prospects, I really would like us to make a move for him, Savard, and Josh Anderson.

Overall I'd be very happy with this team, trades seem fair to me, too.
Jul. 11, 2018 at 9:02 a.m.
Fla has Bjugstad as a wing not a center. It diminishes my interest in him and what I'd be willing to give up. He's a bigger more injury prone Coyle at this point. I still like him, but not as a center.
Jul. 11, 2018 at 9:31 a.m.
FLA is only a year or two out from being a real contender. They won't give an up and coming prospect up like Tippett to take on an overpaid
Staal when in two years they're going to have to pay that young core. Niederreiter doesn't really fit into FLA right now either
MNBassman liked this.
Jul. 11, 2018 at 11:03 a.m.
MNBassman
Quoting: bambam
FLA is only a year or two out from being a real contender. They won't give an up and coming prospect up like Tippett to take on an overpaid
Staal when in two years they're going to have to pay that young core. Niederreiter doesn't really fit into FLA right now either

I actually consider Florida closer than a year or two away. I think they are a legit team right now...which is why I thought they might want Staal.
Jul. 11, 2018 at 11:10 a.m.
MNBassman
@wabit @arousedcat I'm not crazy about Bjugstad either...especially if he is only a wing. I was thinking about the Wild (potentially) having Ek, Greenway, and Bjugstad all playing center someday. That kind of size and reach down the middle would be huge (pun intended).
TanSor liked this.
Jul. 11, 2018 at 11:47 a.m.
Quoting: MNBassman
@wabit @arousedcat I'm not crazy about Bjugstad either...especially if he is only a wing. I was thinking about the Wild (potentially) having Ek, Greenway, and Bjugstad all playing center someday. That kind of size and reach down the middle would be huge (pun intended).

I agree about Bjugstad on the wing, I don't like him there. We need right shot centers and he could play a top 9 role for us in that position.

I honestly think Greenway would be a much better center than a wing. He apparently played center all of last season at BU and did well there (according to Russo who talked with his old coach). Ek, Greenway, and Bjugstad would be awesome down the middle in 2-3 years (given that Ek and Greenway develop the way they should).
Jul. 11, 2018 at 11:59 a.m.

How is Staal overpayed 75p for $3.5 is dollar store prices? Or do you mean his next contract that is yet to be determined?

Quoting: MNBassman

I'd like Greenway to turn out to be the center that Kunin was hoped to be when he was drafted. I'm not sure if either of them will be a true center in the NHL, or just a wing trying to play center. Bjugstad would still be an okay fit as a RHS middle-6 wing, but would he even be an upgrade over a healthy Coyle?

I'm meh about Tippett. He has a NHL shot, but he excels in space that I'm not sure he'll get in the NHL. I didn't see him last year, so maybe he improved his all around game, but he was kind of checked out when it came to d-zone play before that.
TanSor liked this.
Jul. 11, 2018 at 3:50 p.m.
MNBassman
Quoting: wabit
How is Staal overpayed 75p for $3.5 is dollar store prices? Or do you mean his next contract that is yet to be determined?

I'd like Greenway to turn out to be the center that Kunin was hoped to be when he was drafted. I'm not sure if either of them will be a true center in the NHL, or just a wing trying to play center. Bjugstad would still be an okay fit as a RHS middle-6 wing, but would he even be an upgrade over a healthy Coyle?

I'm meh about Tippett. He has a NHL shot, but he excels in space that I'm not sure he'll get in the NHL. I didn't see him last year, so maybe he improved his all around game, but he was kind of checked out when it came to d-zone play before that.

I think Bjugstad is an upgrade over Coyle if only because he has more of a shooters mentality...and the Wild (Fletcher) seem to be allergic to players who like to shoot the puck.

I have recently read that Tippett has made strides to become a better 200foot player. I targeted him in this trade for the same reason I wanted to swap Coyle for Bjugstad...he's a shooter. Scouts still seem to think he's got big-time potential...at least as a scorer. As much as I can't stand score-only-type players, the Wild could probably used one.
Jul. 12, 2018 at 4:33 a.m.

I was mistaken on Staal's production levels compared to his contract because that is a bargain. You do bring up the point of that next contract though because the way it is right now he would be a rental in FLA and this trade could only happen if FLA thinks they are true contenders this season. I don't think they are. I think they'll be a playoff team, but I don't see them getting through those top five teams in the East (Pit, Was, TB, Tor, Bos) next season. FLA's best window for a cup is still two-three out and because of that don't think it warrants giving up a potential top 6 for a one year rental
Jul. 12, 2018 at 4:53 a.m.
I was mistaken on Staal's production levels compared to his contract because that is a bargain. You do bring up the point of that next contract though because the way it is right now he would be a rental in FLA and this trade could only happen if FLA thinks they are true contenders this season. I don't think they are. I think they'll be a playoff team, but I don't see them getting through those top five teams in the East (Pit, Was, TB, Tor, Bos) next season. FLA's best window for a cup is still two-three out and because of that don't think it warrants giving up a potential top 6 for a one year rental

I think Fla needs to make the Playoffs next season. Maybe not be a contender, but to just get the Playoff experience and see what happens from there. I can see them hitting the rental market for someone they think will re-sign there. I don't see Staal re-signing in Fla, it the wrong climate for him. He's into the family thing and playing pond hockey with his kids at this point.
bambam liked this.
Jul. 12, 2018 at 5:01 a.m.
I think Fla needs to make the Playoffs next season. Maybe not be a contender, but to just get the Playoff experience and see what happens from there. I can see them hitting the rental market for someone they think will re-sign there. I don't see Staal re-signing in Fla, it the wrong climate for him. He's into the family thing and playing pond hockey with his kids at this point.

I'm thinking the exact same thing on FLA and their chances and the mindset of Staal as well. I think FLA might be in the market for a deadline deal with a potential rental who could resign, but do you think they go big? Panarin? Simmonds? Eberle? Moulson? Nyquist? The east has far more UFAs at the end of next season it is just tough to tell who will be sellers.
Jul. 12, 2018 at 5:59 a.m.
I'm thinking the exact same thing on FLA and their chances and the mindset of Staal as well. I think FLA might be in the market for a deadline deal with a potential rental who could resign, but do you think they go big? Panarin? Simmonds? Eberle? Moulson? Nyquist? The east has far more UFAs at the end of next season it is just tough to tell who will be sellers.

You don't want Moulson, even an awful Buffalo team last year had no use for him and sent him to the AHL (and plans on doing it again this season). Patches or Lee as rentals would be a good fit for Fla, but they'll be looking for a big term/money contract after the season.

I think they should stay out of the pure rental market and go after a Nino or a Zucker (using the WIld cause I know them the best) type of player: mid-20's with term. It'll cost more in assets, but you get the security with knowing the cap hit and they won't walk away after the season.

Granlund would be ideal for Fla, but MN would have to fall off the map before the TDL for that to happen.
Jul. 12, 2018 at 6:08 a.m.
You don't want Moulson, even an awful Buffalo team last year had no use for him and sent him to the AHL (and plans on doing it again this season). Patches or Lee as rentals would be a good fit for Fla, but they'll be looking for a big term/money contract after the season.

I think they should stay out of the pure rental market and go after a Nino or a Zucker (using the WIld cause I know them the best) type of player: mid-20's with term. It'll cost more in assets, but you get the security with knowing the cap hit and they won't walk away after the season.

Granlund would be ideal for Fla, but MN would have to fall off the map before the TDL for that to happen.

So what is the move for the Wild then? They are in this lull of not true contenders but not ready to rebuild. The Blues made it clear that hey are making moves to get over that hump but Min... They seem to just be stuck in this standstill.
The problem with Patch is his numbers were abysmal last year and I think very few teams would take a risk on him until the trade deadline and it seems Montreal wants to move him sooner rather than later. Lee is a more interesting case, but that won't happen anytime soon with everybody still wrapping their heads around the JT move. A move that I liked that is along the lines of what you mentioned is the Sharks and Kane, if FLA can do that then that would be ideal.
Jul. 12, 2018 at 6:33 a.m.
So what is the move for the Wild then? They are in this lull of not true contenders but not ready to rebuild. The Blues made it clear that hey are making moves to get over that hump but Min... They seem to just be stuck in this standstill.
The problem with Patch is his numbers were abysmal last year and I think very few teams would take a risk on him until the trade deadline and it seems Montreal wants to move him sooner rather than later. Lee is a more interesting case, but that won't happen anytime soon with everybody still wrapping their heads around the JT move. A move that I liked that is along the lines of what you mentioned is the Sharks and Kane, if FLA can do that then that would be ideal.

The Wild look to be treading water. They were a 100p team last year that didn't get their ideal lineup on the ice at all last year. So it's not an awful thing, but Division is brutal and they'll need a lot of luck to do much of anything. I think an early season trade is more likely to happen than anything of significance being done between now and the start of camp.

I don't like the off-season they've had so far, and the new GM has left me completely unimpressed. ROR was the move they needed to make imo. Even most of the trades on here are really lateral type of moves, or go for it rentals that look like they'll end badly because it strip all of the (limited) bottom-6 depth.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll