Created by: VASYVASYVASY
Team: 2020-21 Tampa Bay Lightning
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 13, 2018
Published: Jul. 13, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
*NOTE - Salary cap rises to $84m in the next 2 years*
- Point signs a bridge deal for 3 yrs/$5.5m AAV
- Vasy resigns for 8 yrs/$54m ($6.75m AAV)
- Gourde resigns 4yrs/$17m ($4.25m AAV)
- Sergachev signs a bridge deal for 3yrs/$3m AAV
- Cirelli, Conacher, Domingue, Stralman, Dotchin and Koekkoek all resign short term deals
- Raddysh, Barre-Boulet and Foote make the jump to the NHL w/in the next 2 years
- Still $1.5m available in cap space

- Let me know what you think and how you feel about the term/AAV for the extensions/signings!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,000,000
4$5,500,000
8$6,750,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,250,000
1$850,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
1$925,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$850,000
1$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,250,000
1$3,000,000
2$1,000,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$84,000,000$82,442,591$0$500,000$1,557,409

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 3
$8,500,000$8,500,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 4
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$4,450,000$4,450,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
$4,250,000$4,250,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 5
$759,258$759,258
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$833,333$833,333
RW
RFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,875,000$7,875,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RD
RFA - 1
$6,750,000$6,750,000
G
UFA - 8
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 6
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
RD
UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 13, 2018 at 7:37 p.m.
I think that deal might be low for Vasilevskiy, especially if Tampa Bay wins the Cup in the next two years. Hellebuyck just got a long-term $6.7M deal after a single 40-win season. Presumably Vasy will have three of those (and possibly a Vezina, Conn Smythe, and/or Stanley Cup) under his belt when his new contract kicks in. If he maintains his quality of play from this season, I think his deal will be in the $8-8.5M range.

The other signings all look reasonable, although I don't think you can call a 4-year contract a bridge deal. If he's not taking a max-term contract, Point will either push for that 5th year to take him to UFA, or he'll want a 2 year deal that will allow him a raise in 2022-23. I don't think there's any way he accepts 4 years.
Jul. 13, 2018 at 7:52 p.m.
Eklund29
Um a bridge deal is 1-2 years and the pay of a bridge deal is low... a 3x5.5 isn't a bridge deal it's an actual contract
Jul. 13, 2018 at 7:58 p.m.
Pop Pop
I think money is tight but just moving Johnson for pick or prospects and you make up the cash. stralman might leave for one last payday before its too late. he is going to get offers and looks like more than a 3mill dman
Jul. 13, 2018 at 7:59 p.m.
wdym by "future bolts?" this is just the bolts
Jul. 13, 2018 at 8:36 p.m.
VASYVASYVASY
Quoting: tkecanuck341
I think that deal might be low for Vasilevskiy, especially if Tampa Bay wins the Cup in the next two years. Hellebuyck just got a long-term $6.7M deal after a single 40-win season. Presumably Vasy will have three of those (and possibly a Vezina, Conn Smythe, and/or Stanley Cup) under his belt when his new contract kicks in. If he maintains his quality of play from this season, I think his deal will be in the $8-8.5M range.

The other signings all look reasonable, although I don't think you can call a 4-year contract a bridge deal. If he's not taking a max-term contract, Point will either push for that 5th year to take him to UFA, or he'll want a 2 year deal that will allow him a raise in 2022-23. I don't think there's any way he accepts 4 years.

My apologies, I meant to give Point a 3yr contract (I wrote 3 years in the description but gave him 4 on accident) that is similar to Kucherov's bridge deal in 2016. I agree w/ the statement on Vasilevskiy, I was just hoping he would take a little less than most would because of the no state income tax in FL and that the Lightning are a Cup contender nearly every year, but if he puts together another great season or two than I think he'll get around $7-$8.5m AAV
Jul. 13, 2018 at 8:49 p.m.
VASYVASYVASY
Quoting: eklund_29
Um a bridge deal is 1-2 years and the pay of a bridge deal is low... a 3x5.5 isn't a bridge deal it's an actual contract

Point is coming off his entry level contract and Yzerman usually hands out 2-3 year bridge deals for the player to prove that they are worth the big bucks. Point is arguably one of the most valuable players for TB (2-way Center) and is still very young. I see him taking a 2 or 3 yr deal, I just don't know for how much. Probably in the $4m-$6m range I would guess. Kucherov took a 3yr bridge deal for about $4.7m in 2016. I just don't see Point taking any less than $4.5m if he puts together another great season. My estimate was $5.5m AAV, but will probably be a little less. Depending on the upcoming season, how much money do you see him getting?
Jul. 13, 2018 at 8:54 p.m.
VASYVASYVASY
Quoting: Jfstompers
I think money is tight but just moving Johnson for pick or prospects and you make up the cash. stralman might leave for one last payday before its too late. he is going to get offers and looks like more than a 3mill dman

I agree, but Johnson's No Trade Clause kicked in July 1st and I just don't see him waiving it to leave a strong Cup contender, especially if it's a team like Ottawa or a bad team w/ lots of cap space.
Jul. 13, 2018 at 9:20 p.m.
I think your signings are decent. Your point contract is spot on, Gourde I think is 4.5 x 3 (especially if he replicates his success from last year). Vasilevsky I could see making 7M for 6 years. The Cirelli contract is interesting, I am curious to see how he progresses. Raddysh should definitely be ready for an NHL job, same with Foote (though I am not sure about the top pair for him, maybe second pair with Sergachev playing 1st pair).

The Stralman signing is okay, he is a solid defenceman, and i think that is roughly the deal to get it done, however you have Dotchin to play the 3rd pair role (for much cheaper at that), and it may be a better idea to move on from Stralman and use that cap space elsewhere (depth signings or deadline moves). This is purely subjective though, so I don't really have a problem with that.

My reasoning behind the two star rating:

Sergachev contract 3 x 3 is more than a bargain, and I think a bit unrealistic (especially if he continues to improve like he did this past season). I would say he is worth more than that after this season alone, let alone two more seasons to grow and develop. I would think the number for him is 3 x 5, give or take 250k. The signing you are proposing would be more than ideal, i am interested to see what they do with his contract (or whether he is in a package for EK if they choose to acquire him).

My main gripe with this however is the Gourde situation. Your contract is reasonable (a bit under-valued imo but solid), however, after the 2018-2019 season, he is a UFA. Right now, he is only making 1M, and he is definitely worth a lot more than that. If he replicates his success, he could be looking at the contract you suggested at the end of this season (3 x 4.25). While that is a good signing, there would be no room for him unless you traded Callahan, which you have not included in this mock roster. I understand that in the year you are doing this (2020-2021) Callahan is a UFA, but you should still mention the trade you would make for him (or Killorn), because otherwise, one of the key roster players is not on this roster.

MY FIXES:
Add in a Callahan trade (buyout probably wouldn't work, as that would eat too much cap), that way you have the room for Gourde.
Update the Sergachev signing (I could be over-estimating his growth, but I just can't see him taking a 3 x 3 bridge).

Let me know what you think about these changes smile
Jul. 13, 2018 at 9:45 p.m.
Quoting: tkecanuck341

Hellebuyck just got 6.166, not 6.7
Jul. 13, 2018 at 9:51 p.m.
VASYVASYVASY
Quoting: mikeb98
I think your signings are decent. Your point contract is spot on, Gourde I think is 4.5 x 3 (especially if he replicates his success from last year). Vasilevsky I could see making 7M for 6 years. The Cirelli contract is interesting, I am curious to see how he progresses. Raddysh should definitely be ready for an NHL job, same with Foote (though I am not sure about the top pair for him, maybe second pair with Sergachev playing 1st pair).

The Stralman signing is okay, he is a solid defenceman, and i think that is roughly the deal to get it done, however you have Dotchin to play the 3rd pair role (for much cheaper at that), and it may be a better idea to move on from Stralman and use that cap space elsewhere (depth signings or deadline moves). This is purely subjective though, so I don't really have a problem with that.

My reasoning behind the two star rating:

Sergachev contract 3 x 3 is more than a bargain, and I think a bit unrealistic (especially if he continues to improve like he did this past season). I would say he is worth more than that after this season alone, let alone two more seasons to grow and develop. I would think the number for him is 3 x 5, give or take 250k. The signing you are proposing would be more than ideal, i am interested to see what they do with his contract (or whether he is in a package for EK if they choose to acquire him).

My main gripe with this however is the Gourde situation. Your contract is reasonable (a bit under-valued imo but solid), however, after the 2018-2019 season, he is a UFA. Right now, he is only making 1M, and he is definitely worth a lot more than that. If he replicates his success, he could be looking at the contract you suggested at the end of this season (3 x 4.25). While that is a good signing, there would be no room for him unless you traded Callahan, which you have not included in this mock roster. I understand that in the year you are doing this (2020-2021) Callahan is a UFA, but you should still mention the trade you would make for him (or Killorn), because otherwise, one of the key roster players is not on this roster.

MY FIXES:
Add in a Callahan trade (buyout probably wouldn't work, as that would eat too much cap), that way you have the room for Gourde.
Update the Sergachev signing (I could be over-estimating his growth, but I just can't see him taking a 3 x 3 bridge).

Let me know what you think about these changes smile

I agree w/ your thoughts on Gourde, and for Vasilevskiy in terms of AAV, but I think Yzerman will want to lock him up as long as possible (although 6 years would work too). For Cirelli, I think he'll get $1m-$2m AAV for a year or two depnding on his output this season. If Foote and Raddysh aren't used in a trade (for Karlsson), then I see them making the NHL in the next year or two. I didn't know exactly which prospects to put on the NHL roster, but I think Foote will soon. I also think the 4th-line Center position should be filled by a prospect next year after Paquette's contract expires. The reasoning for my pairings on defense are because Cooper likes to put an experienced player (Hedman, McDonagh, Stralman) w/ a young player (just like Hedman + Dotchin in the past year). I don't think Cooper will put Koekkoek and a Sergachev or Foote together because of that. Flip Foote and Sergachev around and that works too, and if Cooper is willing to pair two young defenseman, then McDonagh + Stralman can be the shutdown pair while playing Foote or Sergachev w/ Hedman helps their development. The Stralman signing was just to bring back a solid veteran that is well-liked and does his job well (AAV could be a little more than $3m). I figured Dotchin could play that 7th defenseman role on a cheap contract. If Sergachev isn't traded and continues to develop, I'll be interested to see what his bridge deal will be (probably somehwere between $3m-$5m). I didn't realize the Gourde situation at first, but I would probably just trade Callahan this offseason or the next w/ a pick(s) and a prospect for a pick. I would try to trade him and not buy him out because that will further stress the cap situation for a few more years as you stated.

Thanks for the feedback! smile
mikeb98 liked this.
Jul. 13, 2018 at 10:06 p.m.
Quoting: VASYVASYVASY
I agree w/ your thoughts on Gourde, and for Vasilevskiy in terms of AAV, but I think Yzerman will want to lock him up as long as possible (although 6 years would work too). For Cirelli, I think he'll get $1m-$2m AAV for a year or two depnding on his output this season. If Foote and Raddysh aren't used in a trade (for Karlsson), then I see them making the NHL in the next year or two. I didn't know exactly which prospects to put on the NHL roster, but I think Foote will soon. I also think the 4th-line Center position should be filled by a prospect next year after Paquette's contract expires. The reasoning for my pairings on defense are because Cooper likes to put an experienced player (Hedman, McDonagh, Stralman) w/ a young player (just like Hedman + Dotchin in the past year). I don't think Cooper will put Koekkoek and a Sergachev or Foote together because of that. Flip Foote and Sergachev around and that works too, and if Cooper is willing to pair two young defenseman, then McDonagh + Stralman can be the shutdown pair while playing Foote or Sergachev w/ Hedman helps their development. The Stralman signing was just to bring back a solid veteran that is well-liked and does his job well (AAV could be a little more than $3m). I figured Dotchin could play that 7th defenseman role on a cheap contract. If Sergachev isn't traded and continues to develop, I'll be interested to see what his bridge deal will be (probably somehwere between $3m-$5m). I didn't realize the Gourde situation at first, but I would probably just trade Callahan this offseason or the next w/ a pick(s) and a prospect for a pick. I would try to trade him and not buy him out because that will further stress the cap situation for a few more years as you stated.

Thanks for the feedback! smile

I did not know that Cooper typically does that, so that is definitely interesting. In that case, a veteran signing for the third pair definite makes sense (like Stralman), but I would have to imagine Dotchin would be ready for at least a top 6 role at that point. That being said, too much depth at D is a good problem to have, and since there is space, why not bring back Stralman.

The only trouble with the Callahan contract is that he has a 16 team trade list that he submits. Those teams are likely to be contenders, meaning they have little cap space, and the space they do have they would want to use wisely, meaning a trade to shed salary could be more difficult than it appears at first glance. Another option is Killorn, but he has a full NTC, making it even harder. Yzerman will be able to do it, he is one of if not the best GM's in hockey, but he will definitely have his work cut out for him when he extends Gourde, Point, Vasy, Sergachev, and try to keep this team together.

Also, just another minor note, you have left Adam Erne out of this roster, I would imagine he would at the least have a depth role, or be involved in some kind of trade (Callahan perhaps?). Not that big of a deal, just something I thought I would let you know about.
Jul. 13, 2018 at 10:47 p.m.
VASYVASYVASY
Quoting: mikeb98
I did not know that Cooper typically does that, so that is definitely interesting. In that case, a veteran signing for the third pair definite makes sense (like Stralman), but I would have to imagine Dotchin would be ready for at least a top 6 role at that point. That being said, too much depth at D is a good problem to have, and since there is space, why not bring back Stralman.

The only trouble with the Callahan contract is that he has a 16 team trade list that he submits. Those teams are likely to be contenders, meaning they have little cap space, and the space they do have they would want to use wisely, meaning a trade to shed salary could be more difficult than it appears at first glance. Another option is Killorn, but he has a full NTC, making it even harder. Yzerman will be able to do it, he is one of if not the best GM's in hockey, but he will definitely have his work cut out for him when he extends Gourde, Point, Vasy, Sergachev, and try to keep this team together.

Also, just another minor note, you have left Adam Erne out of this roster, I would imagine he would at the least have a depth role, or be involved in some kind of trade (Callahan perhaps?). Not that big of a deal, just something I thought I would let you know about.

Good point about Callahan's M-NTC, but I would have to think NYR would be a team he'd have on the 16 team list. They have the cap space to take on Callahan's contract. For Erne, he could be depth but I'd probably use him in a trade or just let him walk. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Erne, but I haven't watched him enough to let him walk yet.
Jul. 13, 2018 at 10:49 p.m.
Good point about Callahan's M-NTC, but I would have to think NYR would be a team he'd have on the 16 team list. They have the cap space to take on Callahan's contract. For Erne, he could be depth but I'd probably use him in a trade or just let him walk. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Erne, but I haven't watched him enough to let him walk yet.

A trade I had in mind (and one I have been doing in my mock rosters), is Callahan to the Rangers. He was their former captain, solid two way player, can contribute offensively, good leadership guy for the younger players, and the Rangers have the cap space (and are a big market team, meaning they have no problem spending to the cap). Why not if you are the NYR, get picks and prospect(s?) while using your cap space.
Jul. 16, 2018 at 8:49 p.m.
Eklund29
Point is coming off his entry level contract and Yzerman usually hands out 2-3 year bridge deals for the player to prove that they are worth the big bucks. Point is arguably one of the most valuable players for TB (2-way Center) and is still very young. I see him taking a 2 or 3 yr deal, I just don't know for how much. Probably in the $4m-$6m range I would guess. Kucherov took a 3yr bridge deal for about $4.7m in 2016. I just don't see Point taking any less than $4.5m if he puts together another great season. My estimate was $5.5m AAV, but will probably be a little less. Depending on the upcoming season, how much money do you see him getting?

I see somewhere around 5M just because I think tampa won't have a ton of cap to do anything huge so it just all depends.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll