Forums/Armchair-GM

Exploring Mantha Trade

Created by: HeinousFulcrum
Team: 2018-19 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 16, 2018
Published: Jul. 16, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Please don't crucify me. I love Mantha and don't really want to trade him away, just exploring trade options for him to go to Montreal, as we all know Montreal wants those Frenchies. Detroit gets back a 1st round pick (probably unrealistic) and a promising defensive prospect with amazing skating in Mete. I do realize that Montreal's defense is depleted at the moment and they probably won't part with Mete.
Could also explore a Mantha for Pacioretty trade, however, I don't like that as Pacioretty is going to start declining within a few years and Detroit would have to extend him. I don't see how that would be an upgrade for Detroit.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$6,125,000
Trades
DET
  1. Mete, Victor
  2. 2019 1st round pick (MTL)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$73,899,164$755,000$1,190,000$5,600,836
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LW, C
UFA - 3
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
UFA - 5
$3,325,000$3,325,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$6,083,333$6,083,333
C
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 5
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 3
$3,850,000$3,850,000
C, LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
RW, RD
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 4
$2,687,500$2,687,500
RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$5,291,666$5,291,666
G
UFA - 1
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$257,500$258K)
RD
RFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 3
$748,333$748,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,166,666$3,166,666
RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,954,545$3,954,545
RW, LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 16, 2018 at 5:10 p.m.
As stated, it's never going to happen, but if you want to analyze it, here goes.

I don't think Mete is in the same range as Mantha. Mete is a small (smaller than Saar and Hronek) Dman, that while may be a good skater, only put up 7 points in 49 games last year with MTL (and no goals). That would make him a younger, smaller version of Jensen (who you included in the trade as well). If DET is going to trade him, Juulsen would be at the top of the list, along with a 1st rounder to get close to full value for a blossoming goal scorer.

Juulsen is going to be a 3-4 Dman (not a 1-2 from where he was drafted). And the pick will be a crapshoot. I think everyone has a pretty good idea where Mantha is going.

Also (as you mention), there is no talent in MTL on the D coming up (outside of Mete and Juulsen). They could never afford to trade anyone for Mantha.
HeinousFulcrum liked this.
Jul. 16, 2018 at 5:24 p.m.
Quoting: TMarch
As stated, it's never going to happen, but if you want to analyze it, here goes.

I don't think Mete is in the same range as Mantha. Mete is a small (smaller than Saar and Hronek) Dman, that while may be a good skater, only put up 7 points in 49 games last year with MTL (and no goals). That would make him a younger, smaller version of Jensen (who you included in the trade as well). If DET is going to trade him, Juulsen would be at the top of the list, along with a 1st rounder to get close to full value for a blossoming goal scorer.

Juulsen is going to be a 3-4 Dman (not a 1-2 from where he was drafted). And the pick will be a crapshoot. I think everyone has a pretty good idea where Mantha is going.

Also (as you mention), there is no talent in MTL on the D coming up (outside of Mete and Juulsen). They could never afford to trade anyone for Mantha.

Exactly what I was looking for. I am a big Mete fan as I saw him play for years on the Knights, so that is why I wanted him over Juulsen. I think Mete's skating and hockey sense are on another level than Jensen's so it will be an upgrade. I don't see Mete as a point producer, I see him as a smart puck moving defenseman that is really good in the defensive end.

How about this as a trade:
Montreal receives Mantha, McIssac, and Saarijarvi.
Detroit receives Pacioretty, Mete, 2019 1st round.
Jul. 16, 2018 at 7:27 p.m.
Quoting: HeinousFulcrum
Exactly what I was looking for. I am a big Mete fan as I saw him play for years on the Knights, so that is why I wanted him over Juulsen. I think Mete's skating and hockey sense are on another level than Jensen's so it will be an upgrade. I don't see Mete as a point producer, I see him as a smart puck moving defenseman that is really good in the defensive end.

It doesn't take much to upgrade Jensen, and Detroit certainly wouldn't pay Mantha to do it. If Mantha goes, it's going to be for a defenseman with guaranteed high celling, likely higher than anything Montreal has to offer.
Jul. 16, 2018 at 8:50 p.m.
Banned
Get real Mete isn't even the same stratosphere as Mantha, If we deal Mantha it would be for a Karlsson type player. Not a Mete type player.
Jul. 17, 2018 at 11:12 a.m.
Quoting: Larkinisking
Get real Mete isn't even the same stratosphere as Mantha, If we deal Mantha it would be for a Karlsson type player. Not a Mete type player.

I never said that Mete is in the same league value wise for Mantha. Just stating that I watched him develop and I like his game, hence why there is the first round pick in there to compensate for Mantha being in a different league than Mete.
Jul. 17, 2018 at 6:28 p.m.
CTN
I’m not going debate the players in this deal too much, although saying something Mantha and Karlsson in the same sentence is a bit of a joke lol. Detroit would have to add a ton to that. At this point in Mantha’s growth his value isn’t near as good as you think it is imo. That being said Montreal’s first round pick with their current state is by far the biggest value piece in this deal! Definitely going to be a top ten, but also a good chance it would be top 5 in a supposed very deep draft. ZERO chance the habs are giving up theirs first round pick this year...Zero
Jul. 18, 2018 at 1:11 a.m.
Quoting: Crunchthenumbers
I’m not going debate the players in this deal too much, although saying something Mantha and Karlsson in the same sentence is a bit of a joke lol. Detroit would have to add a ton to that. At this point in Mantha’s growth his value isn’t near as good as you think it is imo. That being said Montreal’s first round pick with their current state is by far the biggest value piece in this deal! Definitely going to be a top ten, but also a good chance it would be top 5 in a supposed very deep draft. ZERO chance the habs are giving up theirs first round pick this year...Zero

Yeah you're definitely right about the value of their first round pick. They most likely would not give it up. I think that you are undervaluing Mantha though. A 6'5" winger who skates well, has good hands, and an elite shot is hard to come by. He'll be a 30 goal scorer next year, and I think that is something very valuable.

Looks like a Mantha to Montreal trade is just exploratory, it will never happen.
Jul. 18, 2018 at 5:15 p.m.
Quoting: HeinousFulcrum

Pac, while great, isn't a need (if DET is going to give up Mantha, but not for a top 2 dman, then it'll be for a C). If I'm DET, I'm doing something like this:

Montreal receives Mantha, Saarijarvi, and Jensen
Detroit receives Kotkaniemi and Mete plus a mid round pick (3-4th rounder)

Montreal isn't going to part with their top pick, and Detroit isn't going to part with one of their top goal scorers.
Jul. 18, 2018 at 5:27 p.m.
Pac, while great, isn't a need (if DET is going to give up Mantha, but not for a top 2 dman, then it'll be for a C). If I'm DET, I'm doing something like this:

Montreal receives Mantha, Saarijarvi, and Jensen
Detroit receives Kotkaniemi and Mete plus a mid round pick (3-4th rounder)

Montreal isn't going to part with their top pick, and Detroit isn't going to part with one of their top goal scorers.

In your trade, I don't see Montreal improving. Montreal is very weak down the center, they will not part with Kotkaniemi. I can see Detroit parting with Mantha for the right trade, I just don't think it is with Montreal. Pacioretty is definitely a type of player Detroit needs; someone who can score goals. The issue I see is the contract that Pacioretty will demand. Detroit will be buying Pacioretty's declining years instead of Mantha's prime years.
Jul. 18, 2018 at 5:38 p.m.
Quoting: Crunchthenumbers

Mantha, to me, is the second coming over James Van Riemsdyk. JVR is not as big as Mantha, but their progressions are similar, and their styles are similar (net front, below the dot, with a good shot from close in is a good way to describe both of them). Looking at JVR vs Mantha in their first 2 seasons, they have a similar projection. I expect Mantha to be a big goal scorer, but not a big points guy (this season, JVR had 36 goals to go with 54 total points). JVR was doing it without a good C (his string of goals started before Matthews), because he creates his own opportunities being in the scoring areas. Mantha has the similar trait of being down low all the time. In a few years, I expect to see many similar parallels between JVR and Mantha (along with being an underrated value just like JVR is).

It definitely not straight up trade material for Karlsson, but he could be part of a package (though, I know DET wouldn't consider that either).
Jul. 18, 2018 at 5:49 p.m.
It definitely not straight up trade material for Karlsson, but he could be part of a package (though, I know DET wouldn't consider that either).

I think Detroit would for sure consider trading Mantha for Karlsson. That would have to be the core of the package though. Detroit could potentially replace Mantha's goal scoring. A franchise defenseman doesn't become available very often. That being said I think Detroit's strategy is to see if Karlsson goes to FA and make a pitch to him then.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll