Forums/Armchair-GM

NYR 2019 4 Line Outlook

Created by: KNoCNYR1
Team: 2018-19 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 26, 2018
Published: Jul. 27, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Lines as shown reflect not burning a year off of either Chytil or Andersson. They'll get their # of games depending on their play, and should play when they are Fully showing they are ready.. unless the Rangers really want to try and accelerate this rebuild and start one or both opening night, at the risk of losing confidence in two very young talented possible future NYR stars. (They shouldn't rush an 18 and 19 year old in Year 1 of a rebuild) Hayes/Skjei get their matching 5 year deals probably both between $5-5.75m AAV each. Spooner I feel may get the old NYR 'bridge contract' for 2-3 years around $2.5-3m AAV. Also the lines below are obviously not accounting for any 1-year fill in contracts/players we may add before the season starts. So just on working with what we have.. KZB Rangers #1 obvious, can't mess it up, better not mess it up, 1st line. Throw Hayes with Zucc on the 2nd line along with Vessey giving him another year to mature and grow as a player alongside Zucc's experience, well at least for as long as Zucc is a Ranger. 3rd line has Namestnikov/Spooner at C, either are interchangeable for the 3rd or 4th line, though the Rangers may want to use Namestnikov as a LW instead and that would move Spooner up to C the 3rd line, with Fast, every Ranger fans loved workhorse, giving the 3rd line for what it is.. a '3rd' line.. that quality young hard working two way player any club values having. And that leaves the 4th line which most likely will be fill ins we sign ( ex. Desharneis last year) and the guys we have on walk years or closest to having to pay them, ala Boo Nieves, Lettieri, possibly Ryan Gropp? I'd like to see what any of these 3 could do with an extended lineup stay.

For the D pairings we're obviously most likely looking at Shattenkirk and Skjei, I Truly hope they are given the amount of time needed to gel and get in sync, if they are allowed to do that this year they definitely have the talent to go with offensive playmaking ability in Shatt and the defensive zone shutdown play in Skjei to possibly become one of the Top D-pairings in the league. 2nd line will probably have Staal alongside him I'd prefer to see Deangelo, that would give you Staal/Zucc leadership/experience/two zone play, to go along with Vessey/Deangelo's youth/talent/ offensive upside ability. 3rd line would leave Smith trying to regain his 4.4 AAV form, one can only hope, paired with Pionk, who any Ranger fan is hoping can be possibly a 'mini' Skjei in terms of year over year talent growth shown. Though swapping Pionk/Deangelo could form a decent 2nd pairing if Pionk does show that talent jump during the year. And for the 7th/Press box Dmen we're probably looking at you again Kampfer, sharing the role with at times/injuries the likes of Claesson, Gilmour, O'Gara. With as I said all of the young talent receiving time on the Garden ice during the year and using tons of call ups to see what they got in the system... Chytil, Andersson, plus the likes of Sean Day, Hajek, and Howden, which honestly all 3 I'm excited to see more of.

In goal it will be the One and only, King, Henrik. Backed up by Georgiev, til next year when Igor Shestyorkin comes across the pond from SKA, and gets his year or two under one of the games greatest to ever be between the pipes in Lundqvist.

As for the extras.. Power Play Lineups/Penalty Kill, they are pretty straight forward, they'll change throughout the year but KZB with either Namestnikov/Spooner and Shattenkirk quarterbacking seems like a pretty damn good PP1 unit to me. Followed by Hayes/Zucc and whatever combo of Vessey/Spooner/Namestnikov/etc is to be had with Skjei getting some more PP TOI opportunity this year. Penalty kill is a little more unsure in my opinion, there are many combos Quinn can go with, and will probably try. But Zibanejad/Zucc have always been great at playing both zones, though not wanting to wear them down all season long should be kept in mind. Same as them but to a lesser quality degree is Hayes/Fast. I'd also be interested to see what changing the Penalty Kill D pairings may do. Skjei with Pionk may be something that could eventually turn into a true shutdown PK D-pair. Though Shatt and Staal will get their time on the PK, I rather see Shatt rested more often for 5on5/PP TOI then killing penalties, and Staal can be a real problem at times with his lack of speed. Giving Smith time to regain his form or even Deangelo the opportunity to expand his play may be best this season, for a season of truly finding what works and what Wins for the future.

This year should 100% be about seeing what the kids got. period. Talent, who has it, who truly has it, and what players work well together. Even with signing Skjei/Hayes/Spooner and a couple fill ins, we still should have about $5-8m in cap room, so anything is possible this year as far as trades/cap dumps/draft pick adds goes. And who knows, maybe somehow Rangers fans get lucky, and all this youth/talent takes root a couple years early, one can only hope right!

SO. That's my current take for the NYRs as it's mid off season and we have just over 2 months until the 2019 seasons starts! From your fellow life long New York Rangers fan...
GO RANGERS! NYRangers FAN 4 LIFE!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$5,150,000
5$5,400,000
2$3,000,000
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$79,500,000$71,353,194$0$1,382,500$8,146,806

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$4,625,000$4,625,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$2,275,000$2,275,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$5,150,000$5,150,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW
UFA - 2
$802,500$802,500
LW
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$708,750$708,750
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,400,000$5,400,000
LD
UFA - 6
$6,650,000$6,650,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$8,500,000$8,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,700,000$5,700,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
UFA - 1
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
G
UFA - 2
$4,350,000$4,350,000
LD/RD, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 27, 2018 at 1:52 a.m.
Rangers 2023
This is amazing, thank you, LGR!!!
KNoCNYR1 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 7:35 a.m.
Bad argument about not burning a year of the ELC of Chytil and Andersson, they have already shown they should get NHL time this season so why bury them a WHOLE SEASON in the AHL?? Losing confidence? They both feel they’re NHL ready so would probably hurt more to be in Hartford the whole season
You even said yourself this season is 100% about showing what the kids got. Just doesn’t mix up well together :/
Jul. 27, 2018 at 9:25 a.m.
ChytilMania
This is a good idea and you put a lot of hard work into it which I respect but I disagree. Chytil and Andersson have repeatedly stated that they think they’re NHL ready so keeping them in AHL wouldn’t help them or our team. Also, since when did Ryan Gropp come into the picture. He was amazing in the WHL because he played with Matt Barzal. He struggled in the AHL last season too. Having him in the NHL is the last thing we should do.
The defensive pairs are alright but I’d rather have Pionk on the 2nd pair than DeAngelo though because he showed us that he can be a top 4 dman which is something DeAngelo hasn’t shown.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 9:25 a.m.
Chytil and Anderson are playing more than 50% of the games this year and will easily surpass the 9 game threshold.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 11:29 a.m.
Edited Jul. 27, 2018 at 11:36 a.m.
Nice work, because it takes time to think the whole picture through. I posted something similar last week.

i am in complete agreement that Chytil and Andersson need to be brought along at the correct pace, without too much pressure being placed on them. It's going to be a delicate balance between minutes and match ups. That being said, they absolutely have to be with the big club this year, they have nothing to prove or gain from the AHL (especially Chytil, he was fairly dominant as an 18 year old!).

For me, Mika and Hayes are the obvious 1 and 2c's, and the KZB line gets first billing.

Start the season with Chytil on Hayes' wing, with Zucc on the other. Not playing C removes a lot of the burden/thinking process, and playing with Hayes and Zucc should give this kid two great play-makers and examples to follow. In my opinion of the two, Chytil has the more high end offensive skills, and "high end" is exactly what the Rangers have been missing! Hayes and Zucc are agonizingly pass first, so let Chytil shoot!

With 1 and 2c squared away, Andersson should be given his shot at 3C. Of the two, I feel Andersson has the better two way game, and the larger frame for the rough stuff behind the goal line and in front of the net. You give him Names on the left (defensively responsible with experience at C to take faceoffs) and Ville Meskanen (who was also scouted as having a well rounded two way game with scoring touch). You can deploy this line in protected, mismatch situations early...and increase their minutes/trust as they earn it and the season moves along.

Spooner gets the 4C with Vesey and Fast. This should be a real mismatch 4th line, and should be able to earn their fair share of playing time by beating up other teams 4th lines. They can again also serve as protection for Andersson's line until they are able to fly on their own. Spooner gets added incentive by the coaches giving him some extra time on the PP or PK.

As things progress, if you like what Andersson is doing, he gets more playing time and is hot on Hayes' heels. If you like what Chytil is doing, you can start giving him looks at C in certain situations. If it continues to go well, Hayes becomes a real nice trade chip at the deadline. Andersson becomes the 2C and Chytil gets his crack at 3C....or Chytil moves to 2C and Spooner or Names move into his wing spot. With the roster spot, Howden gets the much anticipated call up to replace Hayes.

On the back end, i absolutely agree that Smith needs to move back to his natural side, giving him the best chance to bounce back.
I do however think he and Pionk should be beating out Staal and DeAngelo all day! Otherwise, the pairings look on point.

Hank and Georgie until Igor comes over next year...LGR!
Jul. 30, 2018 at 4:43 a.m.
KNoCNYR
Thanks everyone for the replies and input, it's appreciated because honestly this is what I like to do when it comes to sports. I would be the kid that would play Madden only for the franchise mode and building/GMing teams over years, well decades until the rosters had no one's name I recognized.

As far as some of the disagreements, personally I think this is exactly where too many fans let being well, a ''fan'', cloud their judgement. Do you have any idea how difficult it is for such young players, talented players albeit, and uncommon it is to have not only one 19 year old lead a line as a center, or wing a second line, but two? The team has an experienced, great line with KZB we all know that, and they kept Zucc for a reason. Honestly I hope the kids do come out of the gate great because that would mean we possibly do keep Zucc, possibly resign him, and not have him become this year's Rick Nash at the trade deadline. But to Finally have some quality from our #1 draft pick(s) ( you would have to go back to Skjei in 2012 six, Six! years ago since we actually even had a 1st round draft choice) and to rush them for what? That's honestly just stupid and I mean that in no disrespect. We are literally in Year 1 of a rebuild that the Rangers haven't done a full rebuild in this Century. Look I love me some King Henriq as much as Any Ranger fan, and he more than anyone in memory barring Mess deserves a Cup, but not only would I rather see maybe one start out of camp, If he shows he should be on the roster, and the other come up during the season because it's the Safe, Smart play. But truly rather that be the case and bring the youngsters up as a Boost to a team that's possibly outperforming expectations.

It has to be remembered.. to have a top 10 draft choice you have to also be a bottom 10 Worst team in the league the year before. How often do the New York Rangers want to do a rebuild? We had 2 1st rd picks last year ( yes one from the Stepan trade ) and 3 this year. How often does that happen?? Again Henriq to me, and I never thought I'd say this, but he's on the same exact highest of levels in my eyes as Richter. And I couldn't imagine Mike not getting his Cup just as much as I couldn't imagine Leetch or Mess Not getting one either. But we have one of the best goalie prospects there is right now in Igor Shestyorkin just waiting overseas for his chance. Even if it's 2 years, 3 years from now and they are splitting games between the pipes, that's still a Cup for the King, and well earned by any standard.

My point is it's not every other year, or every other decade for that matter a team has Five 1st Round Draft PIcks within a 2 year span, especially when we have Zero, Zilch, None the 5 years prior. There is no reason to sacrifice a possible dare I say dynasty (I'm a Rangers fan I like to think Big) for a half season of two kids 19 and 20 starting with the club out of camp. We kept Namestnikov and probably within days Spooner, and they are more than capable so far by the looks of it. Belesky is only up there because of his salary. Gropp up there was literally just as a fill in because he has only this year left and as I said the rosters above do Not reflect a journeymen fill in we may sign (ala Desharnais, again as I said). Same went for Boo and Lettieri on a line. As far as burning a year off of Chytil and Anderrsson I could of made that a little clearer by not starting with that line. It was in the sense of we don't need them up on a brand new team that does not even have playoff expectations out of the gate, at the cost of possibly hurting their confidence or forward momentum. Let them Destroy in the AHL and come up hungry during the season whenever that may be. Aside from that I completely agree as I think I said in my OP that Pionk/DeAngelo are definitely interchangeable depending on who shows what, but we still at this time have to include Staal/Smith in the Top 6 D rotation and putting them together may be more a hindrance than good for the growth of Pionk/Deangelo along with overall quality of the lines. Hayes back at wing imo may just set him back, to have him keep going back and fourth for a 19/20 year old kid to take his place? I just don't see that good for a guy we are about to give a 5 year 5mil+ contract to. Eventually sure, I see Andersson anchoring a line as a C easily as that good two way player, while Chytil has looked like a natural scorer wherever it may be he ends up on a line.

I think old age is getting to me, I was told patience will probably eventually come in your 30's, maybe it's got me. But I'm more than happy where we are as a team atm, and how it looks to be setting up for the next 1-5 years. Having even just 2 of our 5( Can't not smile typing 5 1st Round Draft PIcks) 1st round draft picks hit the ice running and not looking back, instead of growing pains like we've seen with what was expected from Vessey who is 3 years older than either Chytil or Andersson is much more preferable in my eyes, and truly better for a Cup in the future.

GO RANGERS!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll