Forums/Armchair-GM

Rebuild

Created by: markmws
Team: 2018-19 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 27, 2018
Published: Jul. 27, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I am not a fan of any of these teams. I think these are fair. Philadelphia is a goaltender away from being a legit cup contender, the Leafs are a great right shot d-man away from being a legit contender (I know, the "o" is excellent, but they need help on that back end. CLEARLY this trade would happen when Weber comes back healthy and before the deadline) and Florida gets a legit sniper to play with barkov/trochek. The Habs get a nice return but will be just awful this next year. However, they get their goaltender of the future in Hart, draft picks, a potential top pairing d-man, and a young winger in Nylander. Boy will they need help on that right side, but they can draft a right handed d-man in the draft. Habs fans will be deliriously mad that they traded Price, but in a few years they may be happy (After MB looses his job). I know, I will get a bunch of mean messages about this, so just be civil with the feedback, okay? This is meant to be fun. :)
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$5,500,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Bjugstad, Nick
  2. 2019 1st round pick (FLA)
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (FLA)
PHI
  1. Price, Carey
  2. Reilly, Mike
  3. 2019 4th round pick (MTL)
MTL
  1. 2019 1st round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Rights to Nylander
TOR
  1. Weber, Shea
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (MTL)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$79,500,000$53,644,165$0$4,932,500$25,855,835
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$839,166$839,166
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$175,000$175K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000 (Performance Bonus$1,250,000$1M)
C
UFA - 1
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,166,667$1,166,667
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 3
$748,333$748,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,625,000$4,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RD
UFA - 2
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 27, 2018 at 2:28 a.m.
Flyers laugh and hang up the phone.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 5:16 a.m.
Mark
Quoting: ExpiredmilkYT
Flyers laugh and hang up the phone.

While I assume they wouldn't (The ability to grab a Hart trophy winning goaltender when, let's face it, the flyers never had one), would it be safe to assume they have been laughing and hanging up the phone since 1975?

Point is, it's been awhile (43 years, actually). Carter Hart is a really good prospect but just that, a prospect. Price's season last year won't happen again, and he's a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over Elliott/Neivy. I would even go as far as saying that the Flyers COULD have won a Stanley Cup between 1975 through to today had it not been for their goaltending. Price, the single most important goaltender in the world, would basically put them ahead of Pitt and Washington in that division and maybe even the Lightning. I would do that deal in a heartbeat!!! A chance to win a cup? How often does that happen in Philadelphia (I'm from there, by the way)? It hasn't happened since 1975. Of all the deals, this was the one that made the most sense for the team acquiring a player.

I'm actually a Flyers fan, but I like playing with the Habs because they're a fascinating team. I would love to have Price now and I would love to have him 6 years from now. Goalies age well, and he's our best chance at Cup parade. Or, we'll keep Sanheim, Hart and a first and see where that gets us. Great idea.
Davisoc and habs_fan123 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 7:31 a.m.
Quoting: markmws
While I assume they wouldn't (The ability to grab a Hart trophy winning goaltender when, let's face it, the flyers never had one), would it be safe to assume they have been laughing and hanging up the phone since 1975?

Point is, it's been awhile (43 years, actually). Carter Hart is a really good prospect but just that, a prospect. Price's season last year won't happen again, and he's a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over Elliott/Neivy. I would even go as far as saying that the Flyers COULD have won a Stanley Cup between 1975 through to today had it not been for their goaltending. Price, the single most important goaltender in the world, would basically put them ahead of Pitt and Washington in that division and maybe even the Lightning. I would do that deal in a heartbeat!!! A chance to win a cup? How often does that happen in Philadelphia (I'm from there, by the way)? It hasn't happened since 1975. Of all the deals, this was the one that made the most sense for the team acquiring a player.

I'm actually a Flyers fan, but I like playing with the Habs because they're a fascinating team. I would love to have Price now and I would love to have him 6 years from now. Goalies age well, and he's our best chance at Cup parade. Or, we'll keep Sanheim, Hart and a first and see where that gets us. Great idea.

But you said in your description you're not a fan of any of these teams?
Jul. 27, 2018 at 7:55 a.m.
Wouldn't happen but yes please to that Philly trade! Hart, Sanheim and the 1st.. all day baby..allll day.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 8:27 a.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM

I wanted to be in the background when you said that to him in person so I could yell an"OOOOOOOOO SNAP!".
Jul. 27, 2018 at 8:32 a.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
So, I love the Nylander bridge deal, but that will cost you long term. Nylander steps into your number 1 center roll between Druin and Domi. That is a scary line. Pay Nylander now and save you in the long run.

Florida trade is great, makes a lot of sense on both sides.

Toronto trade, I don't love the value. Weber is no guarantee with these injuries and he costs a lot. Nylanders roof is a number 1c in the league, so if I am trading for an aging, never healthy Webber, I dont want to give up a potential #1C. You know?

Again, just my opinion.

Otherwise, I like this a lot for Montreal.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 10:03 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Davisoc
So, I love the Nylander bridge deal, but that will cost you long term. Nylander steps into your number 1 center roll between Druin and Domi. That is a scary line. Pay Nylander now and save you in the long run.

Florida trade is great, makes a lot of sense on both sides.

Toronto trade, I don't love the value. Weber is no guarantee with these injuries and he costs a lot. Nylanders roof is a number 1c in the league, so if I am trading for an aging, never healthy Webber, I dont want to give up a potential #1C. You know?

Again, just my opinion.

Otherwise, I like this a lot for Montreal.

Weber's best hockey happened several years ago, he's been losing a step for the past 3 seasons and his injury issues will compound the issue. TO would never trade for him, even if half his contract was retained they wouldn't do it. Nylander is 22 and has the potential of being a very special player. I'm not sure he's a true 1C but he's definitely an elite 5v5 forward and I think he'll score at or above a point a game at least once in the next 3 seasons.

Which is why I'm also firmly against a bridge deal for him. That'll only lead to an 8 year deal closer or above 10 million a season at the end of that. Lock him up.
TJTwolf liked this.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 10:09 a.m.
habs_fan
Great stuff
Jul. 27, 2018 at 10:12 a.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
Quoting: LoganOllivier
Weber's best hockey happened several years ago, he's been losing a step for the past 3 seasons and his injury issues will compound the issue. TO would never trade for him, even if half his contract was retained they wouldn't do it. Nylander is 22 and has the potential of being a very special player. I'm not sure he's a true 1C but he's definitely an elite 5v5 forward and I think he'll score at or above a point a game at least once in the next 3 seasons.

Which is why I'm also firmly against a bridge deal for him. That'll only lead to an 8 year deal closer or above 10 million a season at the end of that. Lock him up.

I agree 100% thats what I was getting at when I said it will cost them in the long run. What I like in the bridge deal is more so if Toronto offered it, haha.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 12:11 p.m.
I'd say all three teams say no to those trades. The Philly trade is maybe the closest. A case of overvaluation of Montreal's players.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 12:16 p.m.

Yeah, man I'd definitely pay for a goalie with a 10.5 million cap hit after he came off of an awful year, giving away our best goalie prospect and trading away one of our future top 4 d men in Sanheim. Easy pass.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 12:19 p.m.

I see absolutely no reason for trading for him. We'd be regretting that trade if we don't win the cup, which would still be possible as our defense would weaken incredibly. You're the first Flyers fan I've seen who would do Hart for Price.
Jul. 28, 2018 at 9:34 a.m.
Mark
"Toronto trade, I don't love the value. Weber is no guarantee with these injuries and he costs a lot. Nylanders roof is a number 1c in the league, so if I am trading for an aging, never healthy Webber, I dont want to give up a potential #1C. You know? "

I agree: His value is deteriorating, but (just my opinion), he's still a very good top pair defenceman in the NHL. Is he a Norris candidate? Not a chance. Yet he can provide leadership in the room and, most importantly, help shore up that back end. Reilly is an excellent d-man on the left side, and adding someone of Weber's caliber would also put this team (Along with the Flyers if they did this sensical deal for Price) as the favorites in the East.

Many people tend to forget this, but part of the trade for Weber was that if he does retire due to injury or just age, the Habs are NOT on the hook for his cap hit: They negotiated, in the trade, stipulating that if this were to happen, the Predators would be the ones that absorb the hit. While I am not a general manager and can never know the terms of contracts, however I would assume - assume - that the terms of that trade will follow the one made to Toronto.

Looking at the Toronto deal, I should have added more to it from the Habs end: Either another second round pick (2019's), a higher end prospect, or both. Maybe something like Shea Weber, 2nd round in 2019, 2nd round in 2020, and Allan Mcshane/Cameron Hillis (The former probably projects as a bottom 6 energy player and the latter a middle six energy player - both not exciting but useful and cheap, which is what they'll need with the contracts they have coming up). However, it would be tough sell for both franchises in terms of the popularity of the players involved. The Habs want that Center really bad and the Leafs want that cup really bad, so it may be win/win. Who knows.

Clearly, none of these trades will ever happen: These are all just for fun. smile
Jul. 28, 2018 at 9:40 a.m.
Mark
Quoting: Davisoc
I wanted to be in the background when you said that to him in person so I could yell an"OOOOOOOOO SNAP!".

Ha! Some people on this website are just needlessly mean. Like you can say you don't like the deal some "fake" GM made for fun without being a jerk, but when you say things like he did...If I am honest it is just childish. Would you say this to some stranger you just met? Why troll on the internet? This is supposed to be fun, not some exercise in degradation. I was just frustrated that people say things like that to others. I'm not surprised - if you haven't noticed, this is kind of what America has come to recently - but it's frustrating. I'm a Flyers fan, but sometimes it is just awful here: I know it's only a few bad apples, but man they make their voices known. SO I kind of told him off WITHOUT being too mean. smile
Davisoc liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll