SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Washington Capitals signed Tom Wilson (6 Years / $5,166,667 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 30, 2018 at 7:36 a.m.
Quoting: oilersfan089
Voted "yes" because it's much better than Lucic's contract.

Lucic was a consistent 50-point player when he signed that deal, and was also a Cup winner. He was THE premier power forward. Wilson's BEST season is equivalent to Milan's WORST.
Jul. 30, 2018 at 8:36 a.m.
Quoting: CD282
Lucic was a consistent 50-point player when he signed that deal, and was also a Cup winner. He was THE premier power forward. Wilson's BEST season is equivalent to Milan's WORST.

True, but Wilson is also younger, with a cheaper contract, and his contract ends before the dreaded 30 years old hump. He could still get better, production wise, especially if he continues to see time in the top 6. In general though, I'd much rather see young players get paid these large contracts while they can still contribute at a high level, then to see old players get "rewarded" for past ability they no longer possess.
Jul. 30, 2018 at 10:58 a.m.
Below Market Value
Paying a guy based on one good playoff run is how the Blackhawks ended up overpaying Bryan Bickell.

Paying a guy based on grit and one good season and a half is how the Leafs ended up overpaying David Clarkson.

The Caps just did both with one player, and he wasn't even a UFA. It doesn't help that he's good for around 150 PIM every season and he averages 2 PIM every game.

Now they have to anchor him to Ovechkin and Kuznetzov's line in order to get $5.1 million worth of production out of him.
JTHockeyFan181 liked this.
Jul. 30, 2018 at 1:20 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: Capitalfail67
Based off what? Jack Johnson was a health scratch during the playoffs.

Tom Wilson was a first line player on the best line in the playoffs which his team won the cup.

Worst contract? It’s far from the worst. He got over paid by 1 million. Jack Johnson got 6 years at 30-31 Wilson is 24. Hahahaha but solid point and complete accurate you really know your stuff

First of all: Johnson's contract is 5 years. Second: he'll get 3.25M and he'll probably play alongside Schultz as a top-4 d-man. Third: he's a good player who needed a fresh air. Fourth: he'll play in Pitt now, not Columbus. There's a huge difference between those franchises and we all know that. And last one: almost a hundred guys here seems to agree with me, against less than 10 on your side. Maybe we all no anything about hockey and just you 8 guys are experts...
Jul. 30, 2018 at 2:51 p.m.
Quoting: CD282
Penguins fans. "Great signing - more please!"

if only they signed him for 8million
Jul. 30, 2018 at 2:54 p.m.
Quoting: Willian_Cardoso
First of all: Johnson's contract is 5 years. Second: he'll get 3.25M and he'll probably play alongside Schultz as a top-4 d-man. Third: he's a good player who needed a fresh air. Fourth: he'll play in Pitt now, not Columbus. There's a huge difference between those franchises and we all know that. And last one: almost a hundred guys here seems to agree with me, against less than 10 on your side. Maybe we all no anything about hockey and just you 8 guys are experts...

the votes on this are not whether its worse than johnsons contract, its whether wilsons contract was bad, they can both be bad(which imo both are), Johnson has never really shown to be that good of a player which is why even 3.25 is a bit of an overpay(if he just replaced hunwicks salary I would have said its a good contract) just like over 5 is a bit of an overpay for Wilson. Both got a million too much which seems to be the norm on a lot of signings this offseason(rust for example also overpaid)
Hockeylover360 liked this.
Jul. 30, 2018 at 5:03 p.m.
Based off what? Jack Johnson was a health scratch during the playoffs.

Tom Wilson was a first line player on the best line in the playoffs which his team won the cup.

Worst contract? It’s far from the worst. He got over paid by 1 million. Jack Johnson got 6 years at 30-31 Wilson is 24. Hahahaha but solid point and complete accurate you really know your stuff

Best line in the playoffs? Crosby and Guentzel would like a word...
Jul. 30, 2018 at 6:53 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: awesome
the votes on this are not whether its worse than johnsons contract, its whether wilsons contract was bad, they can both be bad(which imo both are), Johnson has never really shown to be that good of a player which is why even 3.25 is a bit of an overpay(if he just replaced hunwicks salary I would have said its a good contract) just like over 5 is a bit of an overpay for Wilson. Both got a million too much which seems to be the norm on a lot of signings this offseason(rust for example also overpaid)

Agreed as for Johnson is being a bit overpaid. But no way Wilson is in the same situation. He should get nothing more than 3.5M. Plus 1.5M is a relevant value. Besides, Wilson is a penalty machine. He'll stay a huge time at penalty box and it's quite probable he'll get some suspension almost every single season. His offensive production is way below average to a 1st liner.

That's why I still think Wilson's contract is way worse than Johnson's. Wilson's cost and benefits will be probably the worst in the entire league. Even worse than Beagle. Another hilarous joke in this offseason (and I'm saying this even liking his game. But 3M/4years to a 4th liner is another terrible contract).

So, I'll keep Johnson's contract instead of Wilson's or Beagle's any day.
Jul. 30, 2018 at 9:21 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: mtdavis311
Best line in the playoffs? Crosby and Guentzel would like a word...

Yeah.... the 3rd and 4th round they went missing
Jul. 30, 2018 at 9:23 p.m.
Caps fan idk why

I hope to god JJ plays top 4 minutes. Omg haha that makes me happy that you ,an expert, thinks it’s possible
Jul. 30, 2018 at 11:43 p.m.
Agreed as for Johnson is being a bit overpaid. But no way Wilson is in the same situation. He should get nothing more than 3.5M. Plus 1.5M is a relevant value. Besides, Wilson is a penalty machine. He'll stay a huge time at penalty box and it's quite probable he'll get some suspension almost every single season. His offensive production is way below average to a 1st liner.

That's why I still think Wilson's contract is way worse than Johnson's. Wilson's cost and benefits will be probably the worst in the entire league. Even worse than Beagle. Another hilarous joke in this offseason (and I'm saying this even liking his game. But 3M/4years to a 4th liner is another terrible contract).

So, I'll keep Johnson's contract instead of Wilson's or Beagle's any day.

I agree that he is far below the avg first liner, and because he plays often like a goon he racks up the pim and should have gotten even more suspensions than he has already(im not sure if under the current system if suspensions mean the team saves those game salaries under the cap, if so he would be missing out on a few hundred thousand a year at least)

But the lucic contract is way worse than either beagle, Johnson, or Wilson. Longer term, more aav, not a very good player.
Jul. 30, 2018 at 11:44 p.m.
Yeah.... the 3rd and 4th round they went missing

funny that after the third round they were still the points leaders.
Jul. 30, 2018 at 11:44 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
funny that after the third round they were still the points leaders.

And after the 4th round?
Jul. 30, 2018 at 11:45 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
I hope to god JJ plays top 4 minutes. Omg haha that makes me happy that you ,an expert, thinks it’s possible

I'm not an expert. But It seems like way most of the guys here thinks I know something more than you. At least 101. So, I'm okay with that.

Enjoy your superstar Wilson and his amazing contract for the next 6 years. I prefer to enjoy Jack Johnson and his bad contract by far.
Jul. 31, 2018 at 1:04 a.m.
GM67
Yeah he’s hated it’s obvious. This loss must still sting huh?

Bud, 5 Stanley Cups to 1 doesn't sting at all. I am happy for Ovi on winning his first Cup. He changed his game and got better and he rallied his team so I am happy for him. Letang on our team did not play good and gave up way too many chances and didn't deserve to win because we didn't earn it. So no it doesn't sting. I am happy for the Caps but feel they made a poor decision with this overpaid signing.
Jul. 31, 2018 at 1:25 a.m.
And after the 4th round?

4th and 5th most in goals, tied for 5th most points. Wilson was not in the top 10 of either category btw
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: jasondomitrovic
Bud, 5 Stanley Cups to 1 doesn't sting at all. I am happy for Ovi on winning his first Cup. He changed his game and got better and he rallied his team so I am happy for him. Letang on our team did not play good and gave up way too many chances and didn't deserve to win because we didn't earn it. So no it doesn't sting. I am happy for the Caps but feel they made a poor decision with this overpaid signing.

Hard to say if it’s bad or not now. After this season would be easier to tell. He’s changing roles which means he should put up better numbers. As of now it doesn’t look great but neither did kuzy or orlov last season. Hopefully caps are sober to start the season.
Caps fan idk why
4th and 5th most in goals, tied for 5th most points. Wilson was not in the top 10 of either category btw

Yet he put up similar numbers to sid when he won his first conn......
Jul. 31, 2018 at 1:34 a.m.
Yet he put up similar numbers to sid when he won his first conn......

kessel should have won it that year but the media bias against kessel and for Crosby gave it to sid, kinda like how there was better choices on the caps but the trophy went to ovi this year for the caps. As for the point comparison, Crosby had 19 points in 2016, Wilson had 15 in 2018. So around 20% less.
Jul. 31, 2018 at 1:39 a.m.
Caps fan idk why
kessel should have won it that year but the media bias against kessel and for Crosby gave it to sid, kinda like how there was better choices on the caps but the trophy went to ovi this year for the caps. As for the point comparison, Crosby had 19 points in 2016, Wilson had 15 in 2018. So around 20% less.

Can’t disagree with what your saying imo kessel hands down wins also kuzy/holtby should have won

But 4 points difference between Wilson and Crosby thats laughable just saying. We can just agree Wilson had a great playoff and sid had a poor one or average. But just saying he was only 4 points away from a performance that earned a player mvp. I guess that’s my main point
Jul. 31, 2018 at 10:35 a.m.
Below Market Value

If you've got Jack Johnson playing in your top 4, your blue line has big problems.
krakowitz liked this.
Jul. 31, 2018 at 10:39 a.m.
Habs/Pens fan
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
If you've got Jack Johnson playing in your top 4, your blue line has big problems.

He's not playing top 4 though.
Jul. 31, 2018 at 11:54 a.m.
GO PENS
Like jack Johnson? The metro also would like to thank the pens for having the worst 3rd pairing in the nhl....yikes

How is it the worst? Don't let you bitterness cloud your judgement.
Jul. 31, 2018 at 12:34 p.m.
He should have got 4.5 max, but his contract isn't that bad imo. 35 points for a player who played just 5.24 minutes on the PP is decent. His 33 points at even strength are just one less than O'Reilly and JVR last season. Wilson had a great playoff run and is a good player on the PK. Obviously he has way too much PIM and suspensions. But his team likes him, Ovi and Kuznetsov wants him on the top line so he could hit the 40 points next season.
pavelisgoat liked this.
Jul. 31, 2018 at 1:15 p.m.
Can’t disagree with what your saying imo kessel hands down wins also kuzy/holtby should have won

But 4 points difference between Wilson and Crosby thats laughable just saying. We can just agree Wilson had a great playoff and sid had a poor one or average. But just saying he was only 4 points away from a performance that earned a player mvp. I guess that’s my main point

agreed with your first statement completely, I would have voted holtby first, kuzy second for the conn this year, ovi would be 3rd or 4th at best. In 2016 it was a pretty easy choice for me to be kessel, wasn't even close enough for me to have a number two person(some people say murray but murray got outplayed in 3 of the 4 series that year, he doesn't deserve that much credit).

As for your second statement, for a goon type player(who we can very reasonably argue should have missed ALOT more games than he did considering he had 3 suspendable hits in the first 10 games he played.) 15 points is great, especially given his regular season point totals. You would expect a much bigger difference between the best player in the game and between a guy who has never been much in terms of a scoring threat.(as a sidenote Crosby had more points this year in two rounds, than he had in that first conn smythe year)
Capitalfail67 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit