Forums/Armchair-GM

Toronto pro 2020-2021

Created by: Weezley
Initial Creation Date: Jul 30, 2018
Published: Jul 30, 2018 at 6:43 am
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Team Explanation
2.25m per season or 4.5m rise in cap

I was on the generous side with contract extensions so it would be more accurate with the cap room. I didn’t pay much attention to term.

Dermott I am expecting/hoping he will flourish with 2 full seasons under his belt. Bracco had a good rookie season in the AHL so I put him on the 4th. Liljegren should be ready. It would be tough to get rid of Zaitsev’s contract.

2-3 players with a little over 6m left. ?

I didn’t want to speculate who would be a UFA by 2020 so I left the last 2 blank. I’m sure someone in the system can fill it but I’m hoping for someone better.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
Marner, Mitchell8$8,000,000
Matthews, Auston8$11,000,000
Nylander, William8$7,000,000
Sparks, Garret2$1,000,000
Dermott, Travis5$4,500,000
Carrick, Connor3$2,750,000
Bracco, Jeremy3$1,250,000
Kapanen, Kasperi3$2,500,000
Johnsson, Andreas3$2,500,000
Borgman, Andreas1$1,500,000
Grundström, Carl1$1,200,000
Buyouts
  • Mikhail Grabovski: $0
Retained Salary Transactions
  • Phil Kessel: $1,200,000 (15%)
DRAFT YEARROUND 1ROUND 2ROUND 3ROUND 4ROUND 5ROUND 6ROUND 7
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES BONUSESCAP SPACE
18$84,000,000$77,513,333$0$400,000$6,486,667
Left WingCenterRight Wing
Hyman, Zach
$2,250,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 1
Matthews, Auston
$11,000,000
C
UFA - 4
Nylander, William
$7,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 4
Johnsson, Andreas
$2,500,000
LW
UFA - 3
Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
Marner, Mitchell
$8,000,000
RW
UFA - 5
Grundström, Carl
$1,200,000
LW
RFA
Kadri, Nazem
$4,500,000
C
NTC
UFA - 2
Kapanen, Kasperi
$2,500,000
RW
RFA - 2
Bracco, Jeremy
$1,250,000
RW
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Rielly, Morgan
$5,000,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
Zaitsev, Nikita
$4,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 4
Andersen, Frederik
$5,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 1
Dermott, Travis
$4,500,000
LD
RFA
Carrick, Connor
$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
Sparks, Garret
$1,000,000
G
UFA
Borgman, Andreas
$1,500,000
LD
RFA
Liljegren, Timothy
$863,333
RD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul 30, 2018 at 6:58
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Well it would be five. players for 6m.... RWer Brown might be included, hopefully 1st rounder Sandin at LHD. Looks pretty close to what it might be.
Jul 30, 2018 at 7:06
Edited Jul 30, 2018 at 7:12
Quoting: palhal
Well it would be five. players for 6m.... RWer Brown might be included, hopefully 1st rounder Sandin at LHD. Looks pretty close to what it might be.

You’re right. 5 more minimum. They’re so boned at the 3rd and 4th line. ? I was debating on putting Brown but not sure if he will want more money so I went with the cheaper and younger option of Bracco. Sandine would be great to have on the LD but defense usually take a little longer to develop. Again, I’m playing it safe with my projections.
Jul 30, 2018 at 7:18
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Weezley
You’re right. 5 more minimum. They’re so boned at the 3rd and 4th line. ? I was debating on putting Brown but not sure if he will want more money so I went with the cheaper and younger option of Bracco. Sandine would be great to have on the LD but defense usually take a little longer to develop. Again, I’m playing it safe with my projections.

If the Leafs keep all of their expensive core forwards till 2020, they will have to go with an inexpensive defence. Time with tell if Liljegren, Sandin, Rasemum, Durzi can be cost efficient NHLers, along with maybe Borgman, Carrick, Ozhignov. Lots of possibilities...., we'll have to see how it all plays out.
Jul 30, 2018 at 7:22
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Brooks as 4C, either one of Brown/Kapanen is sadly gone to Seattle.. remember that Leafs also have up and coming prospects in Engvall, Korshkov, Trevor Moore. I also hope they wouldnt give Carrick that amount of money, that would be stupid. On defence you have either Durzi or Rasanen coming in lineup in 20/21.. I see leafs lineup in 20/21 being like this.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Grundstrom-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Kadri-Brown/Kapanen (depending which would be taken by Seattle)
Engvall-Brooks-Bracco/Korshkov (depending which one is better suited for 4th line job and possible PK minutes)

Rielly-Räsänen/Durzi (who is better at 2020 preseason takes the job)
Dermott-Zaitsev
Borgman-Liljegren

Andersen-Sparks/Pickard (depending who they keep)
Jul 30, 2018 at 7:30
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Sammy, I tend to agree with abut Carrick. I don't think he an NHLer. Hopefully he is and is deserving of the money that Weezley allotted to him. If not Carrick, you gotta pay someone that money.
Jul 30, 2018 at 7:31
If the Leafs keep all of their expensive core forwards till 2020, they will have to go with an inexpensive defence. Time with tell if Liljegren, Sandin, Rasemum, Durzi can be cost efficient NHLers, along with maybe Borgman, Carrick, Ozhignov. Lots of possibilities...., we'll have to see how it all plays out.

That’s definitely where they will have to get their value...RFAs. Maybe Seattle will be in the league by then and the Leafs can trade Zaitsev plus an incentive to take the contract. Or maybe Zaitsev will get into that Russian doping program and become a beast. ??‍♂️

There’s this columnist at Editor in Leaf, James Tanner, that keeps saying this year is their window to go all in for a Cup. Given their top talent are on dirt cheap contracts. People have been lighting him up in the comment section for suggesting such a thing. Looking at these numbers I may have to agree with him.
Jul 30, 2018 at 7:38
Quoting: SammyT_51
Brooks as 4C, either one of Brown/Kapanen is sadly gone to Seattle.. remember that Leafs also have up and coming prospects in Engvall, Korshkov, Trevor Moore. I also hope they wouldnt give Carrick that amount of money, that would be stupid. On defence you have either Durzi or Rasanen coming in lineup in 20/21.. I see leafs lineup in 20/21 being like this.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Grundstrom-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Kadri-Brown/Kapanen (depending which would be taken by Seattle)
Engvall-Brooks-Bracco/Korshkov (depending which one is better suited for 4th line job and possible PK minutes)

Rielly-Räsänen/Durzi (who is better at 2020 preseason takes the job)
Dermott-Zaitsev
Borgman-Liljegren

Andersen-Sparks/Pickard (depending who they keep)

That’s not too bad. I like those. It’s the contract numbers I’m interested in though. You know how everyone is saying, “Your defense sucks. You won’t have any cap room.” The prospects will have to pan out I guess. I honestly haven’t watched Rasanen or Durzi play. I’ll have to this year.
Jul 30, 2018 at 7:42
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
That’s not too bad. I like those. It’s the contract numbers I’m interested in though. You know how everyone is saying, “Your defense sucks. You won’t have any cap room.” The prospects will have to pan out I guess. I honestly haven’t watched Rasanen or Duran play. I’ll have to this year.

Räsänen is giant and would be a great defensive presence, he has a lot of potential, has good hands and great shot. He needs to work on his skating, but is smart defensively. Durzi is quality defender with great two-way game. We have a lot of D prospects in the system who have high chance of panning out.
Jul 30, 2018 at 7:43
LongtimeLeafsufferer
That’s definitely where they will have to get their value...RFAs. Maybe Seattle will be in the league by then and the Leafs can trade Zaitsev plus an incentive to take the contract. Or maybe Zaitsev will get into that Russian doping program and become a beast. ??‍♂️

There’s this columnist at Editor in Leaf, James Tanner, that keeps saying this year is their window to go all in for a Cup. Given their top talent are on dirt cheap contracts. People have been lighting him up in the comment section for suggesting such a thing. Looking at these numbers I may have to agree with him.

I disagree with James Tanner....He doesn't know about the cap. In order for the Leafs to not to have any Performance Bonuse carryover into 2019/20, the Leafs have to carry the PB of this 4.5m, last year 2.8, and Horton contract...that 12.6m they don't have to carry into next year. Plus Gardiner and Hainsey can't be signed there is another 7m. who likely will placed by cheaper players.
Fact is the Less really only about 3m free cap space this year. So for Tanner or anyone to say the Leafs have the money to go "all in" this year....it's just factually inccorrect. He just didn't look at the 9.8 million Horton contact and the PB for this year. Lazy journalism.
Jul 30, 2018 at 7:46
I disagree with James Tanner....He doesn't know about the cap. In order for the Leafs to not to have any Performance Bonuse carryover into 2019/20, the Leafs have to carry the PB of this 4.5m, last year 2.8, and Horton contract...that 12.6m they don't have to carry into next year. Plus Gardiner and Hainsey can't be signed there is another 7m. who likely will placed by cheaper players.
Fact is the Less really only about 3m free cap space this year. So for Tanner or anyone to say the Leafs have the money to go "all in" this year....it's just factually inccorrect. He just didn't look at the 9.8 million Horton contact and the PB for this year. Lazy journalism.

Completely forgot about those performance bonuses. As for Horton, wouldn’t they get cap relief with him being on LTIR?
Jul 30, 2018 at 7:58
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Completely forgot about those performance bonuses. As for Horton, wouldn’t they get cap relief with him being on LTIR?

It's a little confusing about LTIR. Yes the Leafs can get cap relief, but if they do, they HAVE to carry over their performance bonuses into the following year. The Leafs need all their cap room next year when Matthews, Marner and a few other need raises. So logic would say, the Leaf keep Horton's salaryon the roster this year in order to pay the approximately 4.5m PB this year.
With Horton on the roster, Leafs have 14m in cap space. Add Nylander....let's 6.5m, PB. 4.5, that's 11m, hence the 3m in actual cap available. My thought is maybe a closer to TDL the Leaf can acquire help if needed. But really no real cap room to acquire an player of consequence early in the year.
Weezley liked this.
Jul 30, 2018 at 8:06
It's a little confusing about LTIR. Yes the Leafs can get cap relief, but if they do, they HAVE to carry over their performance bonuses into the following year. The Leafs need all their cap room next year when Matthews, Marner and a few other need raises. So logic would say, the Leaf keep Horton's salaryon the roster this year in order to pay the approximately 4.5m PB this year.
With Horton on the roster, Leafs have 14m in cap space. Add Nylander....let's 6.5m, PB. 4.5, that's 11m, hence the 3m in actual cap available. My thought is maybe a closer to TDL the Leaf can acquire help if needed. But really no real cap room to acquire an player of consequence early in the year.

I did not know that about the carryover. Thanks for clearing that up. Definitely keep the roster as is for now. I hope Zaitsev gets his weight and game back this year.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Remove Option
Submit Poll