SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Winnipeg Jets signed Nicolas Petan (1 Year / $874,125 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 31, 2018 at 4:50 p.m.
Nicolas Petan has signed a new contract with the Winnipeg Jets.
Standard Contract
Comparable ContractsCOMPARE THIS CONTRACT
Length: 1 year
Value: $874,125
Expiry Status: RFA (Arb)
Cap % Tooltip: 1.10
Signing Team: Logo of the Winnipeg JetsWinnipeg Jets
Signing Date: Jul. 31, 2018
Source: CapFriendly

Nicolas Petan signed a 1 year, $874,125 contract with the Winnipeg Jets on Jul. 31, 2018. The contract has a cap hit of $874,125.

SEASONClauseCap HitTooltipAAV TooltipP. BonusesTooltipS. BonusesTooltipBase SalaryTooltipTotal SalaryTooltipMinors SalTooltip
2018-19$874,125$874,125$0$0$874,125$874,125$70,000
TOTAL$874,125$874,125$0$0$874,125$874,125$70,000
Qualifying OfferTooltip: $917,831
Jul. 31, 2018 at 5:05 p.m.
Make it or break it year!
weirfanno1 liked this.
Jul. 31, 2018 at 5:11 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: EricRobson77

Not sure what you mean, He was a PPG in the AHL. I'm sure plenty of NHL teams will be interested in the Jets choose not to qualify him next year
Jul. 31, 2018 at 5:11 p.m.
Rangers 2023

^
Jul. 31, 2018 at 5:14 p.m.

They gotta give him the playing time to do that... or trade him. Honestly I think its going to be more of a sign and trade thing.
weirfanno1 liked this.
Jul. 31, 2018 at 8:13 p.m.
Edited Jul. 31, 2018 at 8:19 p.m.
I am shocked at the sub 100k AHL level salary. Given that my working assumption with Petan was that he was still likely to be playing significant time in the AHL (if he stays in the Jets organization this year at least), I would think both the agent and the Jets wouldn’t skriff on a few hundred K.

Rather what this says to me is that Petan will be spending meaningful time in the NHL this year. There are two scenarios:

1) Winnipeg includes him on their active roster, giving him bottom-6 minutes and perhaps limited special teams time to start
2) Winnipeg trades Petan to bank future assets.

Given that Petan has been sidelined by the Jets forward depth he hasn’t had the opportunity to show what he is worth at the NHL level. This hurts his trade value. Thus it’s possible that the Jets play Petan for a couple of months to bump up his trade value and then flip him. Or, if they like what they see, then sign him to a longer extension for say 2 years (so he is still an RFA when that 3rd contract ends) come January when he would be eligible to sign an extension for next year.

It’s also worth noting that Petan’s waiver eligibility just expired so that come the end of training camp, if they wish to have him be sent down to the AHL he will have to clear waivers (which is probably 50/50 - while young with upside, there aren’t a lot of teams with space for an extra body barring injury). If he doesn’t clear waivers, then either option 1 or 2 will have to occur anyways.
Aug. 1, 2018 at 7:19 a.m.
Quoting: rebecca
I am shocked at the sub 100k AHL level salary. Given that my working assumption with Petan was that he was still likely to be playing significant time in the AHL (if he stays in the Jets organization this year at least), I would think both the agent and the Jets wouldn’t skriff on a few hundred K.

Rather what this says to me is that Petan will be spending meaningful time in the NHL this year. There are two scenarios:

1) Winnipeg includes him on their active roster, giving him bottom-6 minutes and perhaps limited special teams time to start
2) Winnipeg trades Petan to bank future assets.

Given that Petan has been sidelined by the Jets forward depth he hasn’t had the opportunity to show what he is worth at the NHL level. This hurts his trade value. Thus it’s possible that the Jets play Petan for a couple of months to bump up his trade value and then flip him. Or, if they like what they see, then sign him to a longer extension for say 2 years (so he is still an RFA when that 3rd contract ends) come January when he would be eligible to sign an extension for next year.

It’s also worth noting that Petan’s waiver eligibility just expired so that come the end of training camp, if they wish to have him be sent down to the AHL he will have to clear waivers (which is probably 50/50 - while young with upside, there aren’t a lot of teams with space for an extra body barring injury). If he doesn’t clear waivers, then either option 1 or 2 will have to occur anyways.

averaging a point per game in the AHL last year, no chance he clears waivers. Only knock on him is his size.
weirfanno1 liked this.
Aug. 1, 2018 at 9:52 a.m.
Quoting: JelloPony
averaging a point per game in the AHL last year, no chance he clears waivers. Only knock on him is his size.

As I talked about in the Garnet Hathaway contract thread, it’s surprising who does clear waivers. Austin Czarnik cleared waivers last year and also has been a better than PPG AHL player.
JelloPony liked this.
Aug. 1, 2018 at 10:09 a.m.
Quoting: rebecca
As I talked about in the Garnet Hathaway contract thread, it’s surprising who does clear waivers. Austin Czarnik cleared waivers last year and also has been a better than PPG AHL player.

oh I know guys sneak through all the time. I guess you're right it could be possible. As I said he does have some downsides for the NHL game but it still would surprise me if no one picked him up. Hes on a team that is really tough to crack the lineup. Im sure someone would have a spot for him.
Aug. 1, 2018 at 2:12 p.m.
mothariah
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Not sure what you mean, He was a PPG in the AHL. I'm sure plenty of NHL teams will be interested in the Jets choose not to qualify him next year

Lots of guys are great AHL players and can't make it to the NHL. Seth Griffith is an example. Chris Terry. Cory Conacher. How about this one for you: Brian O'Neill lead the AHL in scoring with 80 points in 71 games in 14-15, played 22 total NHL games, and is an average KHLer now.

AHL stats don't really tell you anything. Okay, if the kid can't play in the AHL, he won't be a NHLer. Doesn't always work the other way around.

The size is the defense. If he cleans that up, he should be able to play on the third line, maybe even a second line on a weaker team.
Aug. 1, 2018 at 2:21 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: mothariah
Lots of guys are great AHL players and can't make it to the NHL. Seth Griffith is an example. Chris Terry. Cory Conacher. How about this one for you: Brian O'Neill lead the AHL in scoring with 80 points in 71 games in 14-15, played 22 total NHL games, and is an average KHLer now.

AHL stats don't really tell you anything. Okay, if the kid can't play in the AHL, he won't be a NHLer. Doesn't always work the other way around.

The size is the defense. If he cleans that up, he should be able to play on the third line, maybe even a second line on a weaker team.

Brian O'neill was 27 when he lead the league. Petan is 23, You cannot compare the two. Same can be said for Terry/Conacher/Griffith. Petan still has room for growth. Like I said many teams will take the chance.
mothariah liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 8:10 a.m.
mothariah
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Brian O'neill was 27 when he lead the league. Petan is 23, You cannot compare the two. Same can be said for Terry/Conacher/Griffith. Petan still has room for growth. Like I said many teams will take the chance.

I agree the kid has room to grow. Just saying being a good AHL players doesn't mean a whole lot. That's all. The list goes on and on of players who had good numbers in the AHL and basically flopped as NHLers.

And I can compare him to Seth Griffith. Griffith had 77 points in 57 games in the AHL when he was 23. He is the same size, plays the same type of game, and have the same defensive struggles. They are literally the same player. Griffith had BETTER offensive numbers in the AHL, and has played a total of 79 NHL games, 49 coming after he turned 23...
KSIxSKULLS liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit