SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Colorado Avalanche signed Patrik Nemeth (1 Year / $2,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 2, 2018 at 7:40 a.m.
Patrik Nemeth has signed a new contract with the Colorado Avalanche.
Standard Contract
Comparable ContractsCOMPARE THIS CONTRACT
SIGNED BY: Joe Sakic
Length: 1 year
Value: $2,500,000
Expiry Status: UFA
Cap % Tooltip: 3.14
Signing Team: Logo of the Colorado AvalancheColorado Avalanche
Signing Date: Aug. 1, 2018
Source: CapFriendly

Patrik Nemeth signed a 1 year, $2,500,000 contract with the Colorado Avalanche on Aug. 1, 2018. The contract has a cap hit of $2,500,000.

SEASONClauseCap HitTooltipAAV TooltipP. BonusesTooltipS. BonusesTooltipBase SalaryTooltipTotal SalaryTooltipMinors SalTooltip
2018-19$2,500,000$2,500,000$0$0$2,500,000$2,500,000$2,500,000
TOTAL$2,500,000$2,500,000$0$0$2,500,000$2,500,000$2,500,000
Arbitration Requested Icon ARBITRATION: This contract was signed following an arbitration filing
Aug. 2, 2018 at 7:45 a.m.
Great deal for both sides but just curious to see who will sit since they have 9 D.
bixyboii liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 8:01 a.m.
Buljujarvi
too much.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 8:06 a.m.
mothariah
Ummmmm......? That seems a lot of money for a guy who has ONE FULL SEASON in the NHL. The kid was on waivers this time last year. Look, the guy should probably be an NHLer on this team. He looked fine last year with the Avs. Is he a $2.500 mil guy? No. $1.500, $2.000 sure I can deal with that. This seems like overkill. Mark Barberio got LESS than $1.500 mil after the same situation last season.
ConnorMcHellebucyk liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 11:04 a.m.
Quoting: mothariah
Ummmmm......? That seems a lot of money for a guy who has ONE FULL SEASON in the NHL. The kid was on waivers this time last year. Look, the guy should probably be an NHLer on this team. He looked fine last year with the Avs. Is he a $2.500 mil guy? No. $1.500, $2.000 sure I can deal with that. This seems like overkill. Mark Barberio got LESS than $1.500 mil after the same situation last season.

Maybe something to do with his 38% O-zone starts and 58% GF%? I'm guessing they want to see if he can do it again, hence the one-year contract. His corsi and fenwick are ok, but he killed it when you look at high-danger chances and goals. Was it a fluke? This is the way to find out.

$2.5M is fine considering Nemeth was 4th in 5v5 TOI, 2nd in 4v5 TOI and had the best PK results of any regular.
JonJon liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 11:44 a.m.
Quoting: ConnorMcHellebucyk
too much.

Quoting: CD282
Maybe something to do with his 38% O-zone starts and 58% GF%? I'm guessing they want to see if he can do it again, hence the one-year contract. His corsi and fenwick are ok, but he killed it when you look at high-danger chances and goals. Was it a fluke? This is the way to find out.

$2.5M is fine considering Nemeth was 4th in 5v5 TOI, 2nd in 4v5 TOI and had the best PK results of any regular.

What too much lol Nemeth has been for four years, just was the 8th D in Dallas. He just played his first full season, had a plus/minus of 27, led the team in blocked shots and added 15 pts.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:16 p.m.
J.L.
Colorado has no cap issues so it doesn't really matter if they pay one or 2 million over his value (not an expert on his value though).
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:36 p.m.
Buljujarvi
Quoting: bhavikp27
He just played his first full season, had a plus/minus of 27, led the team in blocked shots and added 15 pts.

I still don't think he is worth 2.5 million overpayment imo.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:38 p.m.
Buljujarvi
That seems a lot of money for a guy who has ONE FULL SEASON in the NHL. The kid was on waivers this time last year. Look, the guy should probably be an NHLer on this team. He looked fine last year with the Avs. Is he a $2.500 mil guy? No. $1.500, $2.000 sure I can deal with that. This seems like overkill. Mark Barberio got LESS than $1.500 mil after the same situation last season.

I am in agreement.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 12:39 p.m.
Below Market Value
He was a top 4 defenseman for most of last season, so I see no issue with the amount especially since it's just a one year deal. Although he looks like he'll end up on the bottom pair, as I don't see him jumping Zadorov or Girard (assuming he continues to progress) on the left, and he's definitely not jumping Johnson or Barrie on the right, since it looks like he can play on his off-side as well.

Zadorov - Barrie
Girard - Johnson
Cole - Nemeth
Aug. 2, 2018 at 2:22 p.m.
For this cap hit I had assumed Colorado could get Nemeth’s first 1-2 years of UFA (so a 2-3y deal). What this tells me is one of the following:
- the Avs don’t see a future where Nemeth will be part of their Top-4 & so don’t want to be on the hook beyond this year and, instead, they create an asset that they can flip at the deadline
- Nemeth and his agent have an over-inflated sense of his value and think that he should be getting 4M or more to take him during his UFA years

With Zadorov’s contract expiring at the end of this upcoming season, the Avs can ostensibly take Nemeth’s salary and use it to give Zadorov a raise. Furthermore, if they take a step forward this year (or at least not a step back), then they may be in the market for a UFA D-Man come July.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 6:17 p.m.
as long as its a 1 year deal they could pay him $5M and i wouldnt be upset about it. Avs have money to burn next season
Aug. 7, 2018 at 11:15 a.m.
mothariah
Quoting: CD282

Quoting: JonJon
Colorado has no cap issues so it doesn't really matter if they pay one or 2 million over his value (not an expert on his value though).

Quoting: ConnorMcHellebucyk
I still don't think he is worth 2.5 million overpayment imo.

The problem really isn't the price tag on this season. Like you say, they don't have cap issues right now. But if you give the kid $2.500 mil for this season, after his first real season in the NHL (and we ALL know players can struggle in their future seasons after a good rookie campaign) you gave him a lot of money. So now he will want MORE than that on the next deal. My real issue isn't that he's overpaid right now, and we can argue both sides. Are you telling me the kid is worth $3-$3.5 mil? Cause that's what you're looking at on the next deal if he has a similar season.

With RFAs, you have all of the leverage. Even if you're taken to arbitration, they could have likely gotten a better deal.

Simply put, they aren't in a bad spot today, but next season they could have to WAY overpay a guy who hasn't shown he's necessarily worth the money yet. Not saying he's a bad player. Not saying he's not an NHLer. He's just not going to be worth the kind of money he will be asking for since he got this contact.
Aug. 7, 2018 at 12:54 p.m.
J.L.
The problem really isn't the price tag on this season. Like you say, they don't have cap issues right now. But if you give the kid $2.500 mil for this season, after his first real season in the NHL (and we ALL know players can struggle in their future seasons after a good rookie campaign) you gave him a lot of money. So now he will want MORE than that on the next deal. My real issue isn't that he's overpaid right now, and we can argue both sides. Are you telling me the kid is worth $3-$3.5 mil? Cause that's what you're looking at on the next deal if he has a similar season.

With RFAs, you have all of the leverage. Even if you're taken to arbitration, they could have likely gotten a better deal.

Simply put, they aren't in a bad spot today, but next season they could have to WAY overpay a guy who hasn't shown he's necessarily worth the money yet. Not saying he's a bad player. Not saying he's not an NHLer. He's just not going to be worth the kind of money he will be asking for since he got this contact.

It all depends on the next season. They put the numbers together and look at what others have been getting with similar numbers and try to pay him accordingly. I don't believe that they look at the previous season only. Or even the salary for that matter.
Aug. 7, 2018 at 1:25 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Solid third pairing guy, the AAV is a little high however.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit