SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(CAR / BUF) - Pu and picks for Skinner

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 2, 2018 at 9:41 p.m.
Jeff Skinner (he scored 37 goals two seasons ago) was traded for a bag of magic beans.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 9:58 p.m.
to all the fans who expected a some crazy return(for example wanted the pens to give up a 1st, jarry, and possible more) I told you so. Players who are rentals and could turn down trades really limit your return.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 10:13 p.m.
Edited Aug. 2, 2018 at 10:22 p.m.
ofc they could get more but they needed to trade him away in preparation for next year with long terms incoming:

Teravainen 6,5 M ( 35, 42, 64 points ) Skinner's stats, 3 years younger
Ferland 4,5 M
Aho 6,5 M ( 49, 65 points) Skinner's stats, 5 years younger
McGinn 2,5 M

gives 20 M in total which means they couldnt keep all
Aug. 2, 2018 at 10:22 p.m.
Imo, the Atlantic is so stacked that the Sabres might barely miss out on the playoffs. I predict a 4th or 5th place finish in the Atlantic.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 10:31 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: CrustyPieMan
Imo, the Atlantic is so stacked that the Sabres might barely miss out on the playoffs. I predict a 4th or 5th place finish in the Atlantic.

I don't know if you can call the division with Ottawa and Detroit stacked (the other teams should get a lot of points out of them though), but Buffalo is probably going to be in the 4, 5, 6 range.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 10:56 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
The winner of this trade is Colorado.
palhal liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:38 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
This deal is a homerun for the Sabres. Players like Skinner typically cost this or more at the deadline, but now he'll be afforded the opportunity to learn the system in training camp and start to develop chemistry with Eichel, who he'd presumably play with. Skinner is also the biggest threat Buffalo has on the wings now. He's a great add to their lineup and gives their lineup some more firepower that they didn't have on the outside. And as much as I like Pu, he didn't fit long term with Buffalo. Eichel, Mittelstadt, Asplund is their long-term 1-2-3 down the middle, and they have other prospects like Davidsson that are capable of playing center. Also, with three first round picks this year, they can afford to lose those picks. A Skinner extension also could happen for them, since he'll have a #1 center in Eichel to play with and he'll be the go-to guy on the wings.

This offseason, Buffalo added:
Skinner
Dahlin
Thompson
Sheary
Sobotka
Berglund
Hunwick
Hutton

And they lost ROR and Lehner. They added a lot of organizational depth this summer and are going to be a legit team this upcoming season, especially when you mix in full seasons from Guhle and Mittelstadt, and maybe even a breakout for Reinhart. Great move by Botterill, as it really rounds out the offseason for them.
Zach, Kotkaniemi15 and wojme liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 1:08 a.m.
I still don't get the point of trading for a rental when the team isn't even ready to be a playoff team.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 6:37 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
I still don't get the point of trading for a rental when the team isn't even ready to be a playoff team.

Because they have every intention on re-signing him....
Aug. 3, 2018 at 6:50 a.m.

Skinner waived his NTC to go to Buffalo because he wants to play there. He likely wants to resign there, and Buffalo wants the extension too. The Sabres will have a good team in 3 years and Skinner likes the potentials I guess
Aug. 3, 2018 at 6:53 a.m.
Ron Francis would never have made this deal. HAHA!!!
Aug. 3, 2018 at 6:57 a.m.
Buffalo won this trade, but it might not hurt the Canes that much. Skinner wasn't going to resign in Carolina and was projected on the 2nd or even 3rd line. With this move, they created space at their offensive lines. They are looking for a center. Because of this trade, they can move Aho back to LW on the top line, Zykov can be the LW on the 2nd line and there is room for a 1st line center. With Faulk on the block and plenty of draft picks acquired in this trade, Carolina has some assets to make an interesting trade. I expect a big trade from Carolina this month. Maybe Kadri as Toronto is looking for a defensive upgrade
Aug. 3, 2018 at 8:20 a.m.
exo2769
To me this is a little bit of a head scratcher on who won. Just blindly looking at the value of skinner vs those picks and Pu...BUF won. Skinner is a really good player. What I don't understand is the mindset behind the move for either team. BUF just traded away ROR...who is better than skinner. ROR is a good Center. Wingers are far easier to come by. So BUFs plan to contend isn't this year. BUT then why the rental? Those picks could be used to build a better team and you can still overpay to have skinner next year without giving up any assets. Winner is BUF, but it's just confusing because their actions are contradictory...to their own actions.
palhal liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 8:27 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: WellIDK
Skinner waived his NTC to go to Buffalo because he wants to play there. He likely wants to resign there, and Buffalo wants the extension too. The Sabres will have a good team in 3 years and Skinner likes the potentials I guess

Skinner is smart. Now that the Sabres traded for him, the Sabres will probably offer the most in a contract offer as he approaches UFA. Skinner has the potential to score a fair number of goals this year as seems to the number one winger for goal scoring potential. Still not sure if scoring goals is necessarily a indicator of being a good/superior NHL player. I witnessed JVR for the Leafs for years. Goal scoring yes, other aspects of the game, not good. We'll see how Skinner fits in with the Sabres this year and probably for the next eight years.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 8:32 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: exo2769
To me this is a little bit of a head scratcher on who won. Just blindly looking at the value of skinner vs those picks and Pu...BUF won. Skinner is a really good player. What I don't understand is the mindset behind the move for either team. BUF just traded away ROR...who is better than skinner. ROR is a good Center. Wingers are far easier to come by. So BUFs plan to contend isn't this year. BUT then why the rental? Those picks could be used to build a better team and you can still overpay to have skinner next year without giving up any assets. Winner is BUF, but it's just confusing because their actions are contradictory...to their own actions.

Maybe other teams couldn't fit Skinner into their cap this season without sending back to the Canes. Canes seemed to want only futures and no money in return. I do question how "good" Skinner is. He can score goals but apparently other aspects of his game are poor. We'll see. It sure has the potential of being the just one of two Buffalo wingers who can score easily this season, Okposo being the other.
Skinner kinda reminds of JVR, nice stats, but you may not be able to win with him if he is among your top wingers.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 8:49 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: palhal
Maybe other teams couldn't fit Skinner into their cap this season without sending back to the Canes. Canes seemed to want only futures and no money in return. I do question how "good" Skinner is. He can score goals but apparently other aspects of his game are poor. We'll see. It sure has the potential of being the just one of two Buffalo wingers who can score easily this season, Okposo being the other.
Skinner kinda reminds of JVR, nice stats, but you may not be able to win with him if he is among your top wingers.

I actually think Skinner isn't as bad defensively as people are saying right now. 2nd in the NHL in takeaways. I'm not claiming him to be a selke finalist, but he's not a turn style. This will be a CLEAR win if they can resign him to a somewhat reasonable deal. I'm just confused with the direction. ALSO, what's CAR doing? It doesn't look like they think they can win this year...so why not wait until a team becomes desperate @ the TDL? IDK, I guess that's why I'm heading to work...not as an NHL GM.
palhal liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 9:06 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: exo2769
I actually think Skinner isn't as bad defensively as people are saying right now. 2nd in the NHL in takeaways. I'm not claiming him to be a selke finalist, but he's not a turn style. This will be a CLEAR win if they can resign him to a somewhat reasonable deal. I'm just confused with the direction. ALSO, what's CAR doing? It doesn't look like they think they can win this year...so why not wait until a team becomes desperate @ the TDL? IDK, I guess that's why I'm heading to work...not as an NHL GM.

Is Waddell a real NHL GM? Hasn't he been NHL unemployed since his Atlanta days? Maybe Canes management should have posting Skinner proposals on this site before triggering the trade with Buffalo. Canes seemed to in contention for playoff run this season, this trade for futures is a step backward for the this year for sure.
I agree with your TDL suggestion as you would think the Canes could have seen how the season was going before making a move. Though I don't see the trade being so bad....we'll just have to see how Pu and the picks work out.
Sorry about the "going to work" lifestyle you lead. When you're old like me, maybe that will change or hopefully for you a lot sooner.
exo2769 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 10:32 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
Is Waddell a real NHL GM? Hasn't he been NHL unemployed since his Atlanta days? Maybe Canes management should have posting Skinner proposals on this site before triggering the trade with Buffalo. Canes seemed to in contention for playoff run this season, this trade for futures is a step backward for the this year for sure.
I agree with your TDL suggestion as you would think the Canes could have seen how the season was going before making a move. Though I don't see the trade being so bad....we'll just have to see how Pu and the picks work out.
Sorry about the "going to work" lifestyle you lead. When you're old like me, maybe that will change or hopefully for you a lot sooner.

I doubt either of you are getting an NHL GM job anytime soon.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 11:45 a.m.
Not yet trannycided
@Turner33 @Zach

The BOG has deemed this trade worthy of revision. Please approach us in DMs to argue your case as to why this trade should stand. It will then proceed to a second vote.
Zach and Turner33 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:05 p.m.
Hardcore Sabres fan
Quoting: Icegirl
@Turner33 @Zach

The BOG has deemed this trade worthy of revision. Please approach us in DMs to argue your case as to why this trade should stand. It will then proceed to a second vote.

This was smart, I like it.

laugh
PrincessChloe liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:34 p.m.
Quoting: EthanK24
I don't know if you can call the division with Ottawa and Detroit stacked (the other teams should get a lot of points out of them though), but Buffalo is probably going to be in the 4, 5, 6 range.

Stacked in the sense that a good team (either the Panthers or Sabres) will miss the playoffs. Although the division has two of the three worst gms the world has ever seen...
Aug. 3, 2018 at 1:02 p.m.
Quoting: Icegirl
@Turner33 @Zach

Um my AGM was not authorized to make this deal. Gonna have to bring it all backHelp
PrincessChloe liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 1:18 p.m.
TOLA5760
Well they got fleeced out of O’Reilly now Carolina gets the fleecing now. Now we know Sabres are contenders at least.

Look at that, it's crazy St Louis fan again. Do you not know anything about hockey? 1st and 2nd round picks which are too early tell what they'll be but is still a great return. Thompson is a B level prospect, and they got two cap dumps on decent 3rd liners that they can flip for picks down the line. The only "win" the blues got was Kyrou not being part of it. It's a pretty fair return.

But like I said in your last post, you know nothing about hockey, should've known not to engage with a guy who has useless Ryan Reeves on his photo.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 1:21 p.m.
Quoting: LeGreen95
Look at that, it's crazy St Louis fan again. Do you not know anything about hockey? 1st and 2nd round picks which are too early tell what they'll be but is still a great return. Thompson is a B level prospect, and they got two cap dumps on decent 3rd liners that they can flip for picks down the line. The only "win" the blues got was Kyrou not being part of it. It's a pretty fair return.

But like I said in your last post, you know nothing about hockey, should've known not to engage with a guy who has useless Ryan Reeves on his photo.

You also don’t know Sobotka and Berglund are borderline cap dumps and Thompson has sucked and won’t get better than a 2nd Line Guy
Aug. 3, 2018 at 1:29 p.m.
TOLA5760
You also don’t know Sobotka and Berglund are borderline cap dumps and Thompson has sucked and won’t get better than a 2nd Line Guy

Umm wrong, Berglund is a 3rd liner based on his production as is Sobotka, cap needed go both ways. Writing off a player who never got a shot after 41 NHL games? He was drafted 2 years ago in the 1st round. Do some research before you talk. It really isn't that hard, the tools are there.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit