Forums/Armchair-GM

Parayko

Created by: Oiler3535
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 9, 2018
Published: Aug. 9, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Cousin keeps telling me latest rumours have focused on Parayko from the blues. Assuming Dubas is as smart as I think and he refuses any of the big 4, what's a possibility?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$5,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Parayko, Colton
  2. 2019 5th round pick (STL)
Additional Details:
5th turns to a 2nd if resign Gardiner.
STL
  1. Borgman, Andreas
  2. Bracco, Jeremy
  3. Gardiner, Jake
  4. Kapanen, Kasperi
  5. 2019 1st round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Johnsson or Brown for Kapanen?
Take the pick of prospects. Liljegren only no go, unless it's liljegren and a Kapanen alone.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$79,500,000$73,589,167$2,550,000$4,550,000$5,910,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW
UFA - 6
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
RD
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
RD
RFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 9, 2018 at 2:47 p.m.
Blues have no need for any of those players. Parayko filling the 2RHD spot is more important to the team then filling depth position or LHD with Gardiner. And the 1st ist is most likely a late one.
Lenny7 and BluesGetTheCup liked this.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 2:48 p.m.
Lenny7
Not a chance.

Parayko is too good to put caveats on which players/prospects aren't available. Imagine someone coming along and saying "Hey, we want Marner, but you can't have any of our top prospects".

You want Parayko, you're giving up one of Nylander or Marner, and likely a bit on top.
BluesGetTheCup and A_K liked this.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 2:48 p.m.
As us Blues fans have pointed out, the only thing that makes sense starts with Nylander. As I've been told my many leafs fans, Nylander is off limits. Ergo, Parayko to the Leafs won't happen.

Part of that is Parayko is more valuable/rarer/better. Part is that the Leafs would approach the Blues, upping the ante. Part is the Blues don't need LD players, or B prospects. Definitely don't need a late 20s 1st.
LGBstl liked this.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 2:50 p.m.
Quoting: Lenny7
Not a chance.

Parayko is too good to put caveats on which players/prospects aren't available. Imagine someone coming along and saying "Hey, we want Marner, but you can't have any of our top prospects".

You want Parayko, you're giving up one of Nylander or Marner, and likely a bit on top.

I agree one of those two makes a lot more sense for the Blues but don't be delusional the Blues would be adding if it was Marner and if its Nylander it is about even 1 for 1.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 2:51 p.m.
miz58
As a blues fan I think it is a decent trade, but we the blues won’t trade Parayko unless it is for William Nylander
Aug. 9, 2018 at 2:57 p.m.
Lenny7
Quoting: LGBstl
I agree one of those two makes a lot more sense for the Blues but don't be delusional the Blues would be adding if it was Marner and if its Nylander it is about even 1 for 1.

I disagree. The price for a top pairing RHD isn't cheap. I'm not saying it'd be Nylander + a 1st, more like Nylander + a so/so D prospect.

I also don't see any reason why the Blues would move Parayko, which makes it extremely unlikely that either of us will be able to celebrate being correct in this case!
LGBstl liked this.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 2:58 p.m.
As I said, there's zero chance of getting the top 5 guys (including Tavares should go without saying). For this, I was assuming the rumours of discussions are true. If true, something else has to be considered. So instead of trolling 'this is BS', throw out other possibilities.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 2:59 p.m.
Not a chance.

Bit on top is hilarious. You've been watching Edmonton make franchise/mcjesus destroying trades too much. I wouldn't do parayko and a 1st for nylander.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 3:03 p.m.
Banned
As a Leafs fan who is very much against moves like this, I'll say a few words here.

1) This trade is ridiculous, its way too many assets for a young guy who so far has looked like a very good 2nd pairing guy so far (Yes he has a lot of upside)
2) St Louis should be thrilled to add some depth wingers but they won't be. The reason being, they spent a lot of FA money on getting depth winger guys who are over priced and will under perform. Perron isn't worth nearly 5 million, Bozak isn't nearly as good as fans think he's going to be, Steen is declining, Maroon is at best a bottom 6 winger. So fans and management think they are set, which means they see guys who aren't going to help the team being exchanged for a guy who will help the team.
3) The only way this trade will ever happen is if one team bends and gets completely wrecked in an unfair trade, TO will either give up way too much or St Louis will let him go for a terrible return. I don't see either team doing that. There just isn't the right timing for this, TO because of cap issues and ST because they kind of need to keep him, their defence is aging and may not be as solid as it once was and losing Parayko will be a huge loss to the team.

In conclusion, St Louis fans tone it down, Parayko isn't a Norris trophy calibre defenceman, you aren't getting Nylander, Liljegren and a 1st for him. TO fans settle down, you aren't getting him for a collection of spare parts and on top of that, he isn't needed. The cost to obtain will take away a lot of depth, future assets or Nylander all of which will be prohibitive of the future development of the team.

Stop it with this nonsense there is no smoke here and where there is no smoke, there isn't a fire. NO TRADE BETWEEN THESE TEAMS WILL HAPPEN.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 3:12 p.m.
Logan, the premise of this trade here is that there is lots of smoke. Multiple reports (from actual reporters) that there has been discussions. So relax on the uppityness.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 3:28 p.m.
I disagree. The price for a top pairing RHD isn't cheap. I'm not saying it'd be Nylander + a 1st, more like Nylander + a so/so D prospect.

I also don't see any reason why the Blues would move Parayko, which makes it extremely unlikely that either of us will be able to celebrate being correct in this case!

Agreed, I do not see him being moved either and know that higher end Dmen come at a price but I think Toronto is so high on Nylander and STL is so high on Parayko that if these were the two players involved it would be an even trade especially if Nylander is given a multi year extension at 6 mil or less.
My guess would be something like Parayko and a 3rd for Nylander and a 4th.
Lenny7 liked this.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 3:29 p.m.
Quoting: Oiler3535
As I said, there's zero chance of getting the top 5 guys (including Tavares should go without saying). For this, I was assuming the rumours of discussions are true. If true, something else has to be considered. So instead of trolling 'this is BS', throw out other possibilities.

There have been like 50 proposals from both sides in the past 2 weeks alone. So that's why most people don't feel the need to throw out possibilities.

Quoting: LoganOllivier
As a Leafs fan who is very much against moves like this, I'll say a few words here.

1) This trade is ridiculous, its way too many assets for a young guy who so far has looked like a very good 2nd pairing guy so far (Yes he has a lot of upside)
2) St Louis should be thrilled to add some depth wingers but they won't be. The reason being, they spent a lot of FA money on getting depth winger guys who are over priced and will under perform. Perron isn't worth nearly 5 million, Bozak isn't nearly as good as fans think he's going to be, Steen is declining, Maroon is at best a bottom 6 winger. So fans and management think they are set, which means they see guys who aren't going to help the team being exchanged for a guy who will help the team.
3) The only way this trade will ever happen is if one team bends and gets completely wrecked in an unfair trade, TO will either give up way too much or St Louis will let him go for a terrible return. I don't see either team doing that. There just isn't the right timing for this, TO because of cap issues and ST because they kind of need to keep him, their defence is aging and may not be as solid as it once was and losing Parayko will be a huge loss to the team.

In conclusion, St Louis fans tone it down, Parayko isn't a Norris trophy calibre defenceman, you aren't getting Nylander, Liljegren and a 1st for him. TO fans settle down, you aren't getting him for a collection of spare parts and on top of that, he isn't needed. The cost to obtain will take away a lot of depth, future assets or Nylander all of which will be prohibitive of the future development of the team.

Stop it with this nonsense there is no smoke here and where there is no smoke, there isn't a fire. NO TRADE BETWEEN THESE TEAMS WILL HAPPEN.

Perron is def worth $4 mill. Bozak is only 3 years, it's an overpay but fine. We barely paid Maroon anything. We have a ton of quality prospects coming up who have top 6 potential, hence why we don't need players like Kapanen or Bracco. Gardiner is a LD which we have tons of.

You're right in that it would take an overpay for Parayko. The Blues view him as a #1 d type and he's right on the cusp. He's a top pairing guy on a lot of teams. No one said Norris worthy, but it's not like Nylander is a hart or ross worthy either.
LGBstl and ab33champ liked this.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 3:37 p.m.
Quoting: BluesGetTheCup
There have been like 50 proposals from both sides in the past 2 weeks alone. So that's why most people don't feel the need to throw out possibilities.

Perron is def worth $4 mill. Bozak is only 3 years, it's an overpay but fine. We barely paid Maroon anything. We have a ton of quality prospects coming up who have top 6 potential, hence why we don't need players like Kapanen or Bracco. Gardiner is a LD which we have tons of.

You're right in that it would take an overpay for Parayko. The Blues view him as a #1 d type and he's right on the cusp. He's a top pairing guy on a lot of teams. No one said Norris worthy, but it's not like Nylander is a hart or ross worthy either.

They are both young guys with prominent roles on their teams with a lot of upside. Nylanders upside is probably higher than Parayko's but RWs are easier to come by then RHD at their age and potential. Which is why a 1 for 1 is a good hockey trade, but I do not see the Blues making this move as they have Kyrou, Thomas and Kostin all coming up and the need for a player like Nylander is less than the need for Parayko.
BluesGetTheCup liked this.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 3:43 p.m.
Banned

Nylander is better than Parayko in my opinion, and I do see Nylander scoring 90+ in a season. I'm sure I am bias here but if he learns to operate at top speed 100% of the time, the sky is the limit. When he did skate full speed last season he was a possession monster who dominated teams. One game him and Matthews had a possession rating of 86%! That was a game where they lined up against Patrick Kane the whole night and made his line look like an AHL squad. That being said, last year he would also disappear for stretches (just a couple games at a time, over the whole season I'd say he was at full speed 75-80% of the season. So if he ups that to 100% which all the great players do, he'll be a super elite forward. But again, I'm a bit bias I am sure. I do very much like Nylander. Parayko is dynamite as well, I don't want to take anything away from him.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 3:43 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Bit on top is hilarious. You've been watching Edmonton make franchise/mcjesus destroying trades too much. I wouldn't do parayko and a 1st for nylander.

Parayko and a first for Nylander? no no buddy, Try Nylander and a pick for Parayko.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 3:44 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Logan, the premise of this trade here is that there is lots of smoke. Multiple reports (from actual reporters) that there has been discussions. So relax on the uppityness.

not real reporters. eklund? twitter searches.

This is trash. Hey there Blues, here are 5 assets, none of which are great, can I have Colton parayko? not a chance.
LGBstl liked this.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 3:47 p.m.
Go Bruins Go
@BeastModeUnknown whats ur take bub
Aug. 9, 2018 at 4:06 p.m.
Quoting: Bcarlo25
not real reporters. eklund? twitter searches.

This is trash. Hey there Blues, here are 5 assets, none of which are great, can I have Colton parayko? not a chance.

Go back under your bridge
Aug. 9, 2018 at 4:10 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Go back under your bridge

you posted that hot garbage and you're calling me a troll? Christ dude.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 4:17 p.m.
My premises (look up the definition) were :

1-dubas would never trade a top 5 guy (unless for a superstar)
2-there are actual reports of talks between the teams for parayko.

Wasn't saying I Think likely. But that's where I started. Just writing drivel doesn't add to the conversation. Therefore (fancy word meaning 'so'), you're a troll bcarlo.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 4:29 p.m.
Quoting: The_Real_FBGM_37
@BeastModeUnknown whats ur take bub

Nylander is better than Parayko in my opinion, and I do see Nylander scoring 90+ in a season. I'm sure I am bias here but if he learns to operate at top speed 100% of the time, the sky is the limit. When he did skate full speed last season he was a possession monster who dominated teams. One game him and Matthews had a possession rating of 86%! That was a game where they lined up against Patrick Kane the whole night and made his line look like an AHL squad. That being said, last year he would also disappear for stretches (just a couple games at a time, over the whole season I'd say he was at full speed 75-80% of the season. So if he ups that to 100% which all the great players do, he'll be a super elite forward. But again, I'm a bit bias I am sure. I do very much like Nylander. Parayko is dynamite as well, I don't want to take anything away from him.

Quoting: LGBstl
They are both young guys with prominent roles on their teams with a lot of upside. Nylanders upside is probably higher than Parayko's but RWs are easier to come by then RHD at their age and potential. Which is why a 1 for 1 is a good hockey trade, but I do not see the Blues making this move as they have Kyrou, Thomas and Kostin all coming up and the need for a player like Nylander is less than the need for Parayko.

Not a chance.

My premises (look up the definition) were :

1-dubas would never trade a top 5 guy (unless for a superstar)
2-there are actual reports of talks between the teams for parayko.

Wasn't saying I Think likely. But that's where I started. Just writing drivel doesn't add to the conversation. Therefore (fancy word meaning 'so'), you're a troll bcarlo.

Here’s the difference. Defenseman that’s actally are weakness. What would happen if we gave up Parayko? It wouldn’t help us. Another thing RHD prime at 4yrs left on a 5M deal is worth way more than NYLANDER who wants 6-8M a year. Another thing. Gardiner is spare parts he won’t last as long as Parayko will. Another thing if Armstrong were to trade Parayko this would not be the deal. You would have to offer something that improves us not gives us spare parts so you can win a damn cup. That just doesn’t happen. Parayko is worth a lot if we are talking Defenseman he is probably one of the most rare guys you can find especially at his skill set to control the tempo on the ice. You aren’t gonna get him for quarters you found in your couch you have to actually give up what we need. Parayko is a need. You have no way to give us what we want for him need for him and you certainly aren’t willing to give up the market value for him. Gardiner resigned isn’t gonna bring in a 2nd especially when you are already pulling a steal of a deal in Parayko’s Contract. Yes they might be talking but that doesn’t mean Armstrong is just gonna deal him out for nothing. You are stupid if you think that way. Toronto fans if you are going to even remotely get close it has to be Kapanen, Nylander, first Gardiner, and another pick. It’s literally a downgrade that isn’t a need to make so if armstrong feels you guys won’t give up what’s needed we can pull out at any second. Blues are on the high ground here we don’t need to make this deal. Toronto WANTS it. Difference is if Armstrong doesn’t feel we improve from it. He won’t bother to even counter he will reject and tell you to go find Faulk, or someone else.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 4:32 p.m.
Armstrong won’t bother if one of the big 4 isn’t in it.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 5:03 p.m.
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
Armstrong won’t bother if one of the big 4 isn’t in it.

You think way too highly of parayko and way too lowly of Gardiner. If on same contract I wouldn't trade them straight up.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 5:13 p.m.
You think way too highly of parayko and way too lowly of Gardiner. If on same contract I wouldn't trade them straight up.

No because Parayko in his prime. And it’s difficult to find a RHD guy that knows how to run the tempo at his age. I like Parayko over Pietrangelo for a reason. Parayko limits his mistakes a big body that isn’t afraid to hit when need be and all around great defender. You think face value not market value and definitely not team value. Gardiner a Rental if he doesn’t want to stay we got spare parts for the real deal.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 5:39 p.m.
Not trying to start a war here, but I honestly don't see what the fuss is about Parayko. I like him and think he'd be an asset on any roster, but he's not exactly the second coming of Lidstrom. His scoring rate has plateaud at about 70th in the league among defensemen and he got outscored last year. Only Edmundson and Bouwmeester had lower GF% for St Louis last year (only slightly), but both also had a lower OZ start% (Bouwmeester by a wide margin). He's not carrying St. Louis' d-corps, he won't carry yours either. He's a second pairing guy.

If St Louis doesn't want to trade him, walk away. There's plenty of fish in the sea, don't overpay for this one.
Oiler3535 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll