Forums/Armchair-GM

Parayko

Created by: Oiler3535
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 9, 2018
Published: Aug. 9, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Cousin keeps telling me latest rumours have focused on Parayko from the blues. Assuming Dubas is as smart as I think and he refuses any of the big 4, what's a possibility?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$5,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Parayko, Colton
  2. 2019 5th round pick (STL)
Additional Details:
5th turns to a 2nd if resign Gardiner.
STL
  1. Borgman, Andreas
  2. Bracco, Jeremy
  3. Gardiner, Jake
  4. Kapanen, Kasperi
  5. 2019 1st round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Johnsson or Brown for Kapanen?
Take the pick of prospects. Liljegren only no go, unless it's liljegren and a Kapanen alone.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$79,500,000$73,589,167$2,550,000$4,550,000$5,910,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW
UFA - 6
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
RD
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
RD
RFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 9, 2018 at 9:38 p.m.
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
No because Parayko in his prime. And it’s difficult to find a RHD guy that knows how to run the tempo at his age. I like Parayko over Pietrangelo for a reason. Parayko limits his mistakes a big body that isn’t afraid to hit when need be and all around great defender. You think face value not market value and definitely not team value. Gardiner a Rental if he doesn’t want to stay we got spare parts for the real deal.

Hey, I’ll happily take Pietrangelo instead wink. But calling the rest spare parts shows you don’t see Leafs play much. Kapanen is a good young winger who has RW1 as a real possibility, and solid RW3 who kills penalties as floor. Bracco is a 1st round pick not that long ago (2 drafts?). Gardiner is top 4 D on any team in league. Borgman made the team and played well the first month before he ran out of gas as a young guy come over from the short European season. Plus a 1st round pick. Those aren’t spare parts to any team in the league.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 10:20 p.m.
Quoting: CD282
Not trying to start a war here, but I honestly don't see what the fuss is about Parayko. I like him and think he'd be an asset on any roster, but he's not exactly the second coming of Lidstrom. His scoring rate has plateaud at about 70th in the league among defensemen and he got outscored last year. Only Edmundson and Bouwmeester had lower GF% for St Louis last year (only slightly), but both also had a lower OZ start% (Bouwmeester by a wide margin). He's not carrying St. Louis' d-corps, he won't carry yours either. He's a second pairing guy.

If St Louis doesn't want to trade him, walk away. There's plenty of fish in the sea, don't overpay for this one.

By pretty much every advanced metric he's a top 25 defensemen. WAR, Game Score, GAR etc. He's a stud. He scores at a first pairing rate on 5v5. ETc. Etc.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 10:22 p.m.
Quoting: Oiler3535
Hey, I’ll happily take Pietrangelo instead wink. But calling the rest spare parts shows you don’t see Leafs play much. Kapanen is a good young winger who has RW1 as a real possibility, and solid RW3 who kills penalties as floor. Bracco is a 1st round pick not that long ago (2 drafts?). Gardiner is top 4 D on any team in league. Borgman made the team and played well the first month before he ran out of gas as a young guy come over from the short European season. Plus a 1st round pick. Those aren’t spare parts to any team in the league.

The issue is they don't fill needs for the Blues. We have a boatload of NHL left handed d men and a ton of left handed prospect d men. We have 3rd line wingers. We already have 2 top 6 wingers with 2 of our top 4 prospects being top 6 RW potential as well. Borgman is.... fine. Bracco had 6 goals in 50 games in the AHL last year. That looks like a bottom 6 type. He was also a 2nd rounder. Also the 1st will be late 20s.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 10:26 p.m.

They are spare parts compared to what we have already. The problem is our depth behind Parayko is thin. So why the hell is it a good idea to go thin on the Right Side just so you can win a cup??
Aug. 9, 2018 at 10:34 p.m.
They are spare parts compared to what we have already. The problem is our depth behind Parayko is thin. So why the hell is it a good idea to go thin on the Right Side just so you can win a cup??

Again, you’ve missed my point entirely. Assuming they actually are discussing him (as per reports), and that Dubas isn’t an idiot to trade a big 5 (eg Nylander), what would it take? Nobody is answering that. They’re (most anyway) just ignoring the point and freaking out about whatever they want. What would a trade look like given those 2 points? I’d love to send Zaitzev back too. But that seemed unfair lol.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 10:53 p.m.
Again, you’ve missed my point entirely. Assuming they actually are discussing him (as per reports), and that Dubas isn’t an idiot to trade a big 5 (eg Nylander), what would it take? Nobody is answering that. They’re (most anyway) just ignoring the point and freaking out about whatever they want. What would a trade look like given those 2 points? I’d love to send Zaitzev back too. But that seemed unfair lol.

Simple answer. You won’t get him. You lack the idea give to get.
Aug. 9, 2018 at 11:28 p.m.
Simple answer. You won’t get him. You lack the idea give to get.

Then why comment? You have nothing to ad. Just sit quietly and watch the other 8 people who are willfully ignorant and think their player isn’t being moved because he’s a superstar.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 6:36 a.m.
Quoting: BluesGetTheCup
By pretty much every advanced metric he's a top 25 defensemen. WAR, Game Score, GAR etc. He's a stud. He scores at a first pairing rate on 5v5. ETc. Etc.

70th isn't 1st pair rate. In the past 2 seasons - combined - he has just 4 5v5 goals in 163 games.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 6:57 a.m.
Then why comment? You have nothing to ad. Just sit quietly and watch the other 8 people who are willfully ignorant and think their player isn’t being moved because he’s a superstar.

Because you guys have this obsession with thinking Toronto can get whatever they want now that Tavares came along. News for ya if you can’t give what we need and what would improve us then you aren’t getting the player. End of story.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 6:59 a.m.

Parayko easily is the best player in the deal and blues have every intention to get overpayment or improvement in our lineup. You guys lack this common knowledge and idea of Give to get if you can’t give to get you don’t get.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 9:17 a.m.
Quoting: CD282
70th isn't 1st pair rate. In the past 2 seasons - combined - he has just 4 5v5 goals in 163 games.

You misunderstand me. Given his minutes distribution and his 5v5 scoring, it's at a first line rate. Below:

https://imgur.com/a/f2svZ4m (from ineffectivemath on twitter)

https://imgur.com/a/GAheDJQ (from Bill Comeau SKATR)
A_K liked this.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 9:20 a.m.

You're making a weird point. You're asking what would it take, but no one is allowed to say that it would take Nylander? You're saying what would an underpayment look like for Parayko lol. It's a silly question.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 10:05 a.m.
You misunderstand me. Given his minutes distribution and his 5v5 scoring, it's at a first line rate. Below:

https://imgur.com/a/f2svZ4m (from ineffectivemath on twitter)

https://imgur.com/a/GAheDJQ (from Bill Comeau SKATR)

I can't open those images, but of all defensemen that played 250+ minutes last year, Parayko's 5v5 points/60 ranks him 106th. Since there are 31 teams in the league and 2 "top-pair" spots per team, he would have to be in the top-62 to be considered "top-pair 5v5 scoring rate. As it is, he's in the bottom half of the second pair guys.

http://naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?season=20172018&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&stdoi=std&rate=y&team=ALL&pos=D&loc=B&toi=250&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=82&lines=single

Parayko's point generation rate is lower than defensive standouts like Polak, Beauchemin, Kris Russell, Mark Barberio, Erik Johnson and Ron Hainsey, to name a few. Offense is not his forte, and defensively he got outscored last year. Also, he gets somewhat sheltered assignments, as Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo take on the league's best. Parayko only faces elites about 30% of the time - fairly typical of a 2nd pairing guy.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 10:11 a.m.
TOLA5760
Because you guys have this obsession with thinking Toronto can get whatever they want now that Tavares came along. News for ya if you can’t give what we need and what would improve us then you aren’t getting the player. End of story.

Lol you just love it fit narratives that make no sense to get your point across. Stoooop it. You guys have no cap space and are a top heavy team salary cap wise and need to find ways to get depth through your lineup. 1 for 1 for an elite player like Parayko is fair but you guys lack depth, and traded it away for Orielly, and you guys nose dived after moving Stastny. I wouldn't be shocked if a core guy gets moved for a package of depth, not saying it's Parayko, but I am just saying it's a possibility. Stop crying over the trade rumors, anyone can get traded and they're just rumors.

And before you say your team has "depth" I see no Andreas Johnssons and Kapanens on your team to fill voids like (JVR). Fabbri is a player already. Everyone else on your team has been pretty dissapointing. Barbashev? He's a ghost out there.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 10:31 a.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: LeGreen95
Lol you just love it fit narratives that make no sense to get your point across. Stoooop it. You guys have no cap space and are a top heavy team salary cap wise and need to find ways to get depth through your lineup. 1 for 1 for an elite player like Parayko is fair but you guys lack depth, and traded it away for Orielly, and you guys nose dived after moving Stastny. I wouldn't be shocked if a core guy gets moved for a package of depth, not saying it's Parayko, but I am just saying it's a possibility. Stop crying over the trade rumors, anyone can get traded and they're just rumors.

And before you say your team has "depth" I see no Andreas Johnssons and Kapanens on your team to fill voids like (JVR). Fabbri is a player already. Everyone else on your team has been pretty dissapointing. Barbashev? He's a ghost out there.

1. Leafs fan calling Blues a top-heavy team - y'all about to have two 11 million dollar players.
2. We used our cap space - I don't view that as a problem, it gave us more depth
3. Our record without Stastny was 10-7-2, almost identical to our record before the TDL, 34-25-4
4. Not sure where you're coming from with this "no depth" take... say we trade a core guy for "a package of depth"... show me where the holes are that need to be filled. We have lines based on the duos of ROR-Tarasenko, Schwartz-Schenn, Steen-Bozak, and then Perron, Fabbri, Maroon, Thomas, Barbashev, Soshnikov, Jaskin, Thorburn, Nolan, Kyrou, Foley, Sanford, Kostin, Stevens, etc.

Some of y'all Leafs fans are insufferable... as soon as you get a good team, gotta go around and say dumb **** like "I see no Andreas Johnssons and Kapanens on your team". Big deal - your prospects have graduated, just wait until we graduate Thomas, Kyrou, Kostin, Bokk, etc. Won't be many complaints about depth.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 10:31 a.m.

Then don’t comment. You’re just being a troll.

Parayko easily is the best player in the deal and blues have every intention to get overpayment or improvement in our lineup. You guys lack this common knowledge and idea of Give to get if you can’t give to get you don’t get.

Again, you’re just wrong. Gardiner is just as good (if not better by many metrics not counting game 7 performance). But yes, just 1 year left. Hence the extra.

You're making a weird point. You're asking what would it take, but no one is allowed to say that it would take Nylander? You're saying what would an underpayment look like for Parayko lol. It's a silly question.

I wouldn’t say it’s weird, but definitely I have set a condition. I know it’s angering Blues fans (and after their terrible off season I wouldn’t do that on purpose), but there is no way they’re getting Nylander. Just not happening. So using logic, I’ve made another trade I think reasonable. They just refuse to believe that. They accuse me of being Tavares confidence blind. But they’re the ones who think their 2nd pair D is worth Karlsson value.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 10:33 a.m.
Quoting: A_K
1. Leafs fan calling Blues a top-heavy team - y'all about to have two 11 million dollar players.
2. We used our cap space - I don't view that as a problem, it gave us more depth
3. Our record without Stastny was 10-7-2, almost identical to our record before the TDL, 34-25-4
4. Not sure where you're coming from with this "no depth" take... say we trade a core guy for "a package of depth"... show me where the holes are that need to be filled. We have lines based on the duos of ROR-Tarasenko, Schwartz-Schenn, Steen-Bozak, and then Perron, Fabbri, Maroon, Thomas, Barbashev, Soshnikov, Jaskin, Thorburn, Nolan, Kyrou, Foley, Sanford, Kostin, Stevens, etc.

Some of y'all Leafs fans are insufferable... as soon as you get a good team, gotta go around and say dumb **** like "I see no Andreas Johnssons and Kapanens on your team". Big deal - your prospects have graduated, just wait until we graduate Thomas, Kyrou, Kostin, Bokk, etc. Won't be many complaints about depth.

Hey. Us Leafs fans are ALWAYS insufferable saying dumb ****. Advantage of being fans of the best team in all of sports wink
Aug. 10, 2018 at 10:43 a.m.
TOLA5760

Wow like I said, none of your depth are good players. Sosh Barbashev etc. aren't good, you had to overpay for bozak. Perron had a career year in Vegas like everyone else. Oh and Maroon needs to have good players around him to produce. Pretty meh 3rd line considering you have to ice them for O-zone starts because they're terrible defensively.

2 11 million players with the cap going up? Same cap % as Crosby and Malkin at that time.

Not worried about that, and 10-7-2 is the reason you guys fell out. No push

And remember you have Jake Allen PLEASE.

He's a worse version of James Reimer.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 10:43 a.m.
TOLA5760
Wow like I said, none of your depth are good players. Sosh Barbashev etc. aren't good, you had to overpay for bozak. Perron had a career year in Vegas like everyone else. Oh and Maroon needs to have good players around him to produce. Pretty meh 3rd line considering you have to ice them for O-zone starts because they're terrible defensively.

2 11 million players with the cap going up? Same cap % as Crosby and Malkin at that time.

I give you a month and you'll hate how one dimensional Bozak is. That is why he is not back with Toronto.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 10:46 a.m.
TOLA5760
And prospects are just prospects if they graduate. Who says yours are good enough? It's a crap shoot. Be jealous that the Leafs are finally good, it's great for the NHL.

I like how Blues fans are though, "We have an elite team" but you have JAKE ALLEN in net. You don't win with shotty goal-tending period.

That's why Lou went after Andersen after we finished last place, you can't build a winning culture without a good goalie. You guys did this backwards.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 10:55 a.m.
Lets Go Blues

Now you're just out here making insults. I'm not a fan that blindly loves every move my team makes. I'm not a huge Jake Allen fan. I never said the Blues had amazing depth. You're just out here talking a bunch of garbage when all I did was correct your incorrect statements. I never said 2 x 11m players was a bad thing, it's especially not when it's Matthews and Tavares, those are top centers in the league. But don't call the Blues top-heavy when they're clearly not. Their top salary is 7.5m. Plenty of guys in the 3-5m range. That's the complete opposite of top-heavy. And depth is depth. If they were great players in the bottom six, they wouldn't be bottom six players... just bc JT signs in TOR and makes Kadri a 3rd line guy, now you're gonna showboat to the rest of the league about depth? The way I see it, everyone is in a position that they can handle on this Blues roster. Stark contrast from last year where basically everyone was playing up a line. Before you go around bashing other teams, keep in mind that the Blues have had to quietly rebuild over the last few years while making the playoffs. They didn't tank the team to get lottery picks - they had to try to make the playoffs to make money, and they still ice a pretty decent team. I think I have pretty realistic outlook on this team, don't need you over here going "LOL Jake Allen".
Aug. 10, 2018 at 10:58 a.m.
Lets Go Blues
And prospects are just prospects if they graduate. Who says yours are good enough? It's a crap shoot. Be jealous that the Leafs are finally good, it's great for the NHL.

I like how Blues fans are though, "We have an elite team" but you have JAKE ALLEN in net. You don't win with shotty goal-tending period.

That's why Lou went after Andersen after we finished last place, you can't build a winning culture without a good goalie. You guys did this backwards.

We're done here, you're just making stuff up. I ain't jealous and I never said "we have an elite team". I'm just out here trying to have a discussion. Obviously you're not interested.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 11:47 a.m.
TOLA5760
We're done here, you're just making stuff up. I ain't jealous and I never said "we have an elite team". I'm just out here trying to have a discussion. Obviously you're not interested.

Now you're just out here making insults. I'm not a fan that blindly loves every move my team makes. I'm not a huge Jake Allen fan. I never said the Blues had amazing depth. You're just out here talking a bunch of garbage when all I did was correct your incorrect statements. I never said 2 x 11m players was a bad thing, it's especially not when it's Matthews and Tavares, those are top centers in the league. But don't call the Blues top-heavy when they're clearly not. Their top salary is 7.5m. Plenty of guys in the 3-5m range. That's the complete opposite of top-heavy. And depth is depth. If they were great players in the bottom six, they wouldn't be bottom six players... just bc JT signs in TOR and makes Kadri a 3rd line guy, now you're gonna showboat to the rest of the league about depth? The way I see it, everyone is in a position that they can handle on this Blues roster. Stark contrast from last year where basically everyone was playing up a line. Before you go around bashing other teams, keep in mind that the Blues have had to quietly rebuild over the last few years while making the playoffs. They didn't tank the team to get lottery picks - they had to try to make the playoffs to make money, and they still ice a pretty decent team. I think I have pretty realistic outlook on this team, don't need you over here going "LOL Jake Allen".

You started the insults, I watch all 30 other teams clearly you don't. I have been on capfriendly for years and this is the first time I have ever seen a trade romour where the team giving up a quality piece having a meltdown like this.

That is all I see in arm chair gms is you blues fans crying. Get over it, it's a rumor, and you guys aren't getting a 21 year old who finished 2 back to back 61 point seasons for Parayko. And I have layed my reasons out why you'd want a package, stop looking at forwards, you have 3 UFA's on the backend next year.

I know Bozak way better than you, that's going to be a line that if it gets stuck in your end it is going to be there until the whistle. O-Zone starts
Aug. 10, 2018 at 12:09 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
You started the insults, I watch all 30 other teams clearly you don't. I have been on capfriendly for years and this is the first time I have ever seen a trade romour where the team giving up a quality piece having a meltdown like this.

That is all I see in arm chair gms is you blues fans crying. Get over it, it's a rumor, and you guys aren't getting a 21 year old who finished 2 back to back 61 point seasons for Parayko. And I have layed my reasons out why you'd want a package, stop looking at forwards, you have 3 UFA's on the backend next year.

I know Bozak way better than you, that's going to be a line that if it gets stuck in your end it is going to be there until the whistle. O-Zone starts

LOL why does the argument always turn into "I watch hockey, you don't". So lame. I feel like you're tagging me in this but arguing with someone else... I don't think Bozak is good defensively, I don't cry about rumors, and I definitely do understand the needs of the team that I root for.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 12:29 p.m.
TOLA5760
LOL why does the argument always turn into "I watch hockey, you don't". So lame. I feel like you're tagging me in this but arguing with someone else... I don't think Bozak is good defensively, I don't cry about rumors, and I definitely do understand the needs of the team that I root for.

Then why talk trash you have provided no facts and I have about your lineup? Also I saw you made an armchair on the blues getting Tavares so LOL to you.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll