Forums/Armchair-GM

Parayko

Created by: Oiler3535
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 9, 2018
Published: Aug. 9, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Cousin keeps telling me latest rumours have focused on Parayko from the blues. Assuming Dubas is as smart as I think and he refuses any of the big 4, what's a possibility?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$5,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Parayko, Colton
  2. 2019 5th round pick (STL)
Additional Details:
5th turns to a 2nd if resign Gardiner.
STL
  1. Borgman, Andreas
  2. Bracco, Jeremy
  3. Gardiner, Jake
  4. Kapanen, Kasperi
  5. 2019 1st round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Johnsson or Brown for Kapanen?
Take the pick of prospects. Liljegren only no go, unless it's liljegren and a Kapanen alone.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$79,500,000$73,589,167$2,550,000$4,550,000$5,910,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW
UFA - 6
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
RD
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
RD
RFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 10, 2018 at 12:30 p.m.
TOLA5760
Quoting: LeGreen95
Then why talk trash you have provided no facts and I have about your lineup? Also I saw you made an armchair on the blues getting Tavares so LOL to you.

It turns that way when you talk out of your ass...
Aug. 10, 2018 at 1:03 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
It turns that way when you talk out of your ass...

lmao. what exactly did I say that you disagree with?
Aug. 10, 2018 at 1:26 p.m.
TOLA5760
Quoting: A_K
lmao. what exactly did I say that you disagree with?

Lol this when I said I watch all 30 teams and you cried about how convos go this way, you have disagreed with everything. Your 3rd line isn't a good 3rd line, I proved why. 3rd line is supposed to be a hard to play against checking line that can produce offence if need be and take defensive zone faceoffs. Yours can't, Bozak can win you the draw though.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 1:40 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Edited Aug. 10, 2018 at 1:48 p.m.
Lol this when I said I watch all 30 teams and you cried about how convos go this way, you have disagreed with everything. Your 3rd line isn't a good 3rd line, I proved why. 3rd line is supposed to be a hard to play against checking line that can produce offence if need be and take defensive zone faceoffs. Yours can't, Bozak can win you the draw though.

We don't even know who will be on the third line! It's August bruh, don't act like you know everything...and I have disagreed with everything? Pretty much the exact opposite. I admit Jake Allen sucks, I know Bozak doesn't defend well. The only thing I took objection to was you saying that the Blues are "top-heavy" and "need more depth". Those arguments are flawed. So now you're just making up arguments and calling me a crybaby. Maybe you're mistaking me for a different Blues fan on here, but I don't go around boasting about Tyler f-ng Bozak and our dominating 3rd line, I'm not blind. I'm pretty objective when it comes to evaluating the Blues. But you seem like fun so I'll give you a couple more facts to discuss.

Barbashev sucks? It’s a small sample size (<100 NHL games for each) but Barbashev scores at a better rate than Kapanen (1.53 p/60 vs 0.86 p/60 at 5v5) and he plays center. These guys were drafted in the same year and have had similar paths to NHL… You said Barby sucks; then Kap sucks too. Oh wait, he scored a pretty SH goal in the playoffs, he must be a god.

Trade Parayko? He is one of 15 defensemen in the NHL to play at least 2,000 5-on-5 minutes the past three seasons with a Corsi-for and expected goals-for percentage above 53. Those were his first 3 seasons. Normally, you can start to judge a defenseman after 200 NHL games… he’s at 242 and among the best 2-way defensemen in the league. We moved on from Shattenkirk to balance out the lineup, we won’t trade Parayko to unbalance it again. Trading Parayko would put Schmaltz or Bortuzzo into our top four. Do we really want to do that?
phillyjabroni liked this.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 2:55 p.m.

Trade Parayko? He is one of 15 defensemen in the NHL to play at least 2,000 5-on-5 minutes the past three seasons with a Corsi-for and expected goals-for percentage above 53. Those were his first 3 seasons. Normally, you can start to judge a defenseman after 200 NHL games… he’s at 242 and among the best 2-way defensemen in the league.

Why are you using xGF for past seasons when we have actual result to look at? His actual GF% for the past 3 seasons is 53.64%, but if you look more closely it's due to having a great rookie year. In the past 2 years his actual GF% was 49.27%, which is NOT indicative of being "among the best 2-way defensemen in the league." His defensive play over the past 2 years looks like this:

2016-17: 2.11 GA/60, 84th best d-man in the league, just behind Cole, Ouellet, Methot and Beaulieu.
2017-18: 2.38 GA/60, 128th in the league, just behind Schenn, Bogosian, Hagg and Cole.

I'd say these numbers show he isn't able to handle the faster, highly skilled forwards of the league, assuming he's getting more and more elite assignments as he gets older.

His offensive play over the past 2 years looks like this:

2016-17: 2.42 GF/60, 75th in the league, just behind Del Zotto, Lindell, Yannick Weber and Methot.
2017-18: 1.97 GF/60, 194th in the league, just behind Pateryn, McCabe, Beaulieu and Emelin.

One could say that he really isn't covering his $5.5M contract at this point. Hopefully he rebounds this season, but things are trending the wrong way badly. All the hype surrounding this player is based on his first season only.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 2:57 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: CD282
Why are you using xGF for past seasons when we have actual result to look at? His actual GF% for the past 3 seasons is 53.64%, but if you look more closely it's due to having a great rookie year. In the past 2 years his actual GF% was 49.27%, which is NOT indicative of being "among the best 2-way defensemen in the league." His defensive play over the past 2 years looks like this:

2016-17: 2.11 GA/60, 84th best d-man in the league, just behind Cole, Ouellet, Methot and Beaulieu.
2017-18: 2.38 GA/60, 128th in the league, just behind Schenn, Bogosian, Hagg and Cole.

I'd say these numbers show he isn't able to handle the faster, highly skilled forwards of the league, assuming he's getting more and more elite assignments as he gets older.

His offensive play over the past 2 years looks like this:

2016-17: 2.42 GF/60, 75th in the league, just behind Del Zotto, Lindell, Yannick Weber and Methot.
2017-18: 1.97 GF/60, 194th in the league, just behind Pateryn, McCabe, Beaulieu and Emelin.

One could say that he really isn't covering his $5.5M contract at this point. Hopefully he rebounds this season, but things are trending the wrong way badly. All the hype surrounding this player is based on his first season only.

Because xGF takes into account more shot effects than GF, which is essentially just a glorified plus/minus.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 3:08 p.m.
TOLA5760
We don't even know who will be on the third line! It's August bruh, don't act like you know everything...and I have disagreed with everything? Pretty much the exact opposite. I admit Jake Allen sucks, I know Bozak doesn't defend well. The only thing I took objection to was you saying that the Blues are "top-heavy" and "need more depth". Those arguments are flawed. So now you're just making up arguments and calling me a crybaby. Maybe you're mistaking me for a different Blues fan on here, but I don't go around boasting about Tyler f-ng Bozak and our dominating 3rd line, I'm not blind. I'm pretty objective when it comes to evaluating the Blues. But you seem like fun so I'll give you a couple more facts to discuss.

Barbashev sucks? It’s a small sample size (<100 NHL games for each) but Barbashev scores at a better rate than Kapanen (1.53 p/60 vs 0.86 p/60 at 5v5) and he plays center. These guys were drafted in the same year and have had similar paths to NHL… You said Barby sucks; then Kap sucks too. Oh wait, he scored a pretty SH goal in the playoffs, he must be a god.

Trade Parayko? He is one of 15 defensemen in the NHL to play at least 2,000 5-on-5 minutes the past three seasons with a Corsi-for and expected goals-for percentage above 53. Those were his first 3 seasons. Normally, you can start to judge a defenseman after 200 NHL games… he’s at 242 and among the best 2-way defensemen in the league. We moved on from Shattenkirk to balance out the lineup, we won’t trade Parayko to unbalance it again. Trading Parayko would put Schmaltz or Bortuzzo into our top four. Do we really want to do that?

Never said trade Parayko. I said one big name at some point.

Your 3rd line is all one dimensional players. Not my fault you don't see that, that isn't depth.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 3:10 p.m.
Because xGF takes into account more shot effects than GF, which is essentially just a glorified plus/minus.

It seems oxymoronic to say 'we're expecting certain production' for past seasons, that's all. Real production for those seasons is known.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 3:14 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
It seems oxymoronic to say 'we're expecting certain production' for past seasons, that's all. Real production for those seasons is known.

The argument is that his underlying metrics would suggest a positive regression moving forward. I.e. although his goal differential isn't great, given his play, you would expect those numbers to improve.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 3:15 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Never said trade Parayko. I said one big name at some point.

Your 3rd line is all one dimensional players. Not my fault you don't see that, that isn't depth.

You're not listening. We don't know what the third line will look like! It almost definitely will include Bozak, but also Steen who is a good defensive forward. It could include Jaskin who has amazing shot suppression numbers as a defensive forward. It could include Fabbri who is a great play driver/possession player. It could include Maroon, who would be similar to JVR in terms of a power forward on Bozak's wing. It could include Kyrou or Thomas, who look to be pretty promising players... we just don't know. So I don't know why you're going on about how bad they are.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 3:18 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
The argument is that his underlying metrics would suggest a positive regression moving forward. I.e. although his goal differential isn't great, given his play, you would expect those numbers to improve.

Aug. 10, 2018 at 3:19 p.m.
Lets Go Blues

Not meant to compare to Klefbom, I know he was injured for half of those games, but Parayko looks to be above average offensively and defensively based on these charts (that I don't entirely understand lol)

"RAPM attempts to isolate a player’s performance and impact, independent of both his teammates and opponents. In other words, RAPM measures a player’s actual contribution to his team in the various statistic being discussed (e.g. shot attempts, expected goals and goal differential) by stripping out factors outside of the player’s control, such as the strength of his teammates and strength of his opponents. This is a far superior version to the team relative statistics (usually simply referred to as “relative” statistics) that you see thrown around Twitter and other channels, and standard relative metrics simply illustrate how a team does while a player is on the ice compared to off, which of course can be greatly influenced by the other players on the ice with the player."

https://www.blueshirtsbreakaway.com/2018/07/11/introducing-a-new-hockey-analysis-resource-evolvingwilds-website/
Aug. 10, 2018 at 4:10 p.m.
Lol you just love it fit narratives that make no sense to get your point across. Stoooop it. You guys have no cap space and are a top heavy team salary cap wise and need to find ways to get depth through your lineup. 1 for 1 for an elite player like Parayko is fair but you guys lack depth, and traded it away for Orielly, and you guys nose dived after moving Stastny. I wouldn't be shocked if a core guy gets moved for a package of depth, not saying it's Parayko, but I am just saying it's a possibility. Stop crying over the trade rumors, anyone can get traded and they're just rumors.

And before you say your team has "depth" I see no Andreas Johnssons and Kapanens on your team to fill voids like (JVR). Fabbri is a player already. Everyone else on your team has been pretty dissapointing. Barbashev? He's a ghost out there.

Lol you just love it fit narratives that make no sense to get your point across. Stoooop it. You guys have no cap space and are a top heavy team salary cap wise and need to find ways to get depth through your lineup. 1 for 1 for an elite player like Parayko is fair but you guys lack depth, and traded it away for Orielly, and you guys nose dived after moving Stastny. I wouldn't be shocked if a core guy gets moved for a package of depth, not saying it's Parayko, but I am just saying it's a possibility. Stop crying over the trade rumors, anyone can get traded and they're just rumors.

And before you say your team has "depth" I see no Andreas Johnssons and Kapanens on your team to fill voids like (JVR). Fabbri is a player already. Everyone else on your team has been pretty dissapointing. Barbashev? He's a ghost out there.

Shut up. You have no clue. Apparently Tarasenko and Schwartz are a “ghost” and “disappointing” only disappointing cause you aren’t able to get them so shut the hell up.
Aug. 11, 2018 at 11:42 a.m.
TOLA5760
You're not listening. We don't know what the third line will look like! It almost definitely will include Bozak, but also Steen who is a good defensive forward. It could include Jaskin who has amazing shot suppression numbers as a defensive forward. It could include Fabbri who is a great play driver/possession player. It could include Maroon, who would be similar to JVR in terms of a power forward on Bozak's wing. It could include Kyrou or Thomas, who look to be pretty promising players... we just don't know. So I don't know why you're going on about how bad they are.

Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
Shut up. You have no clue. Apparently Tarasenko and Schwartz are a “ghost” and “disappointing” only disappointing cause you aren’t able to get them so shut the hell up.

Tarasenko and Schwartz? I'll Take Matthews and Marner over them anyday. Even Matthews and Nylander, Matthews Tavares etc.

Did you just compare Maroon to JVR? LMAO I am done. Maroon has a quarter of the skill JVR has
Aug. 11, 2018 at 2:43 p.m.
Tarasenko and Schwartz? I'll Take Matthews and Marner over them anyday. Even Matthews and Nylander, Matthews Tavares etc.

Did you just compare Maroon to JVR? LMAO I am done. Maroon has a quarter of the skill JVR has

Ok take inexperience>Experience. Take a player go ******* about ice time over a player who drives the play well. That your choice.
Aug. 12, 2018 at 3:17 p.m.
Quoting: Oiler3535
Then don’t comment. You’re just being a troll.

Again, you’re just wrong. Gardiner is just as good (if not better by many metrics not counting game 7 performance). But yes, just 1 year left. Hence the extra.

I wouldn’t say it’s weird, but definitely I have set a condition. I know it’s angering Blues fans (and after their terrible off season I wouldn’t do that on purpose), but there is no way they’re getting Nylander. Just not happening. So using logic, I’ve made another trade I think reasonable. They just refuse to believe that. They accuse me of being Tavares confidence blind. But they’re the ones who think their 2nd pair D is worth Karlsson value.

I don't think I'm angry. It's just one of those things where the blues are coming from a position of strength, as the Leafs would have to be asking for Parayko. Therefore the Blues would set a high price tag. If the Leafs don't match the price tag, the Blues are fine with not moving Parayko. That's logical. No one thinks Parayko is Karlsson value in a vacuum. We're not operating in a vacuum though.

I can't open those images, but of all defensemen that played 250+ minutes last year, Parayko's 5v5 points/60 ranks him 106th. Since there are 31 teams in the league and 2 "top-pair" spots per team, he would have to be in the top-62 to be considered "top-pair 5v5 scoring rate. As it is, he's in the bottom half of the second pair guys.

http://naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?season=20172018&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&stdoi=std&rate=y&team=ALL&pos=D&loc=B&toi=250&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=82&lines=single

Parayko's point generation rate is lower than defensive standouts like Polak, Beauchemin, Kris Russell, Mark Barberio, Erik Johnson and Ron Hainsey, to name a few. Offense is not his forte, and defensively he got outscored last year. Also, he gets somewhat sheltered assignments, as Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo take on the league's best. Parayko only faces elites about 30% of the time - fairly typical of a 2nd pairing guy.

You should open the images I sent, because you're just ignoring my argument if you don't look at them lol.
Aug. 12, 2018 at 6:43 p.m.
Quoting: BluesGetTheCup
I don't think I'm angry. It's just one of those things where the blues are coming from a position of strength, as the Leafs would have to be asking for Parayko. Therefore the Blues would set a high price tag. If the Leafs don't match the price tag, the Blues are fine with not moving Parayko. That's logical. No one thinks Parayko is Karlsson value in a vacuum. We're not operating in a vacuum though.

You should open the images I sent, because you're just ignoring my argument if you don't look at them lol.

Re-read the first five words again, skippy.
Aug. 12, 2018 at 7:02 p.m.
Re-read the first five words again, skippy.

I understand - I'm not sure why you can't. Also, don't call people skippy unless you are actually looking to come off as a condescending person.

So we're at a bit of a standstill because you "can't" open the images.
Aug. 12, 2018 at 7:18 p.m.
I understand - I'm not sure why you can't. Also, don't call people skippy unless you are actually looking to come off as a condescending person.

So we're at a bit of a standstill because you "can't" open the images.

Hey skippy, you’re still willfully being ignorant of my point. Go back and, if you can, read my posts. If nothing to my point to add, just keep your fingers to yourself and go back under your bridge.

Your pictures are meaningless here. I’m not saying he’s a bad player. In fact, I think he’s a good player. But you’re still not getting a Karlsson package for him.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 8:42 a.m.
Hey skippy, you’re still willfully being ignorant of my point. Go back and, if you can, read my posts. If nothing to my point to add, just keep your fingers to yourself and go back under your bridge.

Your pictures are meaningless here. I’m not saying he’s a bad player. In fact, I think he’s a good player. But you’re still not getting a Karlsson package for him.

Well the pictures were meant for CD282 - so you might want to make sure you've actually managed to switch between your accounts before responding.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 9:18 a.m.
Well the pictures were meant for CD282 - so you might want to make sure you've actually managed to switch between your accounts before responding.

Accounts? No burner accounts for me. Still missing the point.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 10:03 a.m.

LOL. "I put this on the internet but I really only want one guy to see it"
Aug. 13, 2018 at 11:56 a.m.
LOL. "I put this on the internet but I really only want one guy to see it"

They were pertinent to our argument. It's all good lol. I don't think we're going to manage to agree on anything. It happens.

Accounts? No burner accounts for me. Still missing the point.

I'm not missing the point. It's fine - you don't think Parayko is Nylander (even if there are other pieces involved) and I do. Not sure we'll end up agreeing as I said to CD282 as well.

Edit: looking by something like Game Score/60 over the past 2 years and filtering by TOI (having a minimum of 1000 minutes) he is top 25-30. Position of strength + top pair ability + favorable contract with term = high return.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 7:26 p.m.
They were pertinent to our argument. It's all good lol. I don't think we're going to manage to agree on anything. It happens.

I'm not missing the point. It's fine - you don't think Parayko is Nylander (even if there are other pieces involved) and I do. Not sure we'll end up agreeing as I said to CD282 as well.

Edit: looking by something like Game Score/60 over the past 2 years and filtering by TOI (having a minimum of 1000 minutes) he is top 25-30. Position of strength + top pair ability + favorable contract with term = high return.

Still missing the point. Nothing I said or did has anything to do with quality of players. I set very specific conditions, that you’re ignoring.
Aug. 14, 2018 at 9:44 a.m.
Still missing the point. Nothing I said or did has anything to do with quality of players. I set very specific conditions, that you’re ignoring.

I'm not ignoring the conditions lol. I'm saying that the conditions set make no sense. Even if it was a 1st + Liljegren + Kapanen it's a no. You have conditions, I'm saying that there's no deal within those conditions. That's the answer lol. And again, talking about the quality of players was for CD282.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll