SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Arizona Coyotes signed Christian Dvorak (6 Years / $4,450,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 10, 2018 at 9:10 a.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: ON3M4N
To a lesser extent they'd also have JFk, Senyshyn and Zboril as well over the next few years. Of course these three will depend a lot on if they make the jump and their impact.

You better hope they don't bridge either one of DeBrusk or McAvoy, the longer the term the better for you guys.
ON3M4N liked this.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 9:12 a.m.
TOLA5760
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
It might be a little early to sign him for that much ... but i see a lot of potential in him.

I was thinking that too, just because I am usually the guy if you give a player like him term like that, he's gotta score at least 20 goals by now which he hasn't. I originally voted no on this but I think just based off of how he will be used in Arizona, his skill set and his track record this could be a steal big time.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 9:21 a.m.
For all people wondering how someone could vote no, maybe the better question is why this site doesn't have a "neutral" choice? This isn't a bad deal per say, but it's one of those that could be bad or could be great, and it's hard to really say which it could be. Going off something familiar: Klefbom was given a contract like this after he had a decent season under his belt. It seemed to pan out after the 201-17 season, but then last year's performance makes it look like a potentially bad deal. I understand they are too different positions and people, so one can't really compare them fairly, but the point is at this age it is hard to say wether they will improve and be consistent players at this value. Anytime a long term deal is handed out like this to a young, essentially unproven, player it is only natural for people to hesitate before declaring it a "good deal".
Aug. 10, 2018 at 9:50 a.m.
Sensible Commentary
Quoting: oilersfan089
For all people wondering how someone could vote no, maybe the better question is why this site doesn't have a "neutral" choice? This isn't a bad deal per say, but it's one of those that could be bad or could be great, and it's hard to really say which it could be. Going off something familiar: Klefbom was given a contract like this after he had a decent season under his belt. It seemed to pan out after the 201-17 season, but then last year's performance makes it look like a potentially bad deal. I understand they are too different positions and people, so one can't really compare them fairly, but the point is at this age it is hard to say wether they will improve and be consistent players at this value. Anytime a long term deal is handed out like this to a young, essentially unproven, player it is only natural for people to hesitate before declaring it a "good deal".
A third option would likely be the sensible thing to do. But a lot of people would end up punting the question on contracts they were even a little unsure about, and you'd probably see the majority of people vote for this neutral 3rd option, resulting in some pretty boring polls. This way, we get all the HOT TAEKZ
Aug. 10, 2018 at 9:59 a.m.
Sensible Commentary
Per this article, John Chayka's said what pretty much everyone here did about the Dvorak extension (http://arizonasports.com/story/1621121/coyotes-banking-on-improved-production-with-christian-dvoraks-6-year-extension/):

“We just think he’s getting better and better. The market is going to continue to rise and we feel like this is a deal that made sense for both sides at this time. Obviously, it’s a bit of a projection deal so we are including that in our assumptions but at the same time, we project the person and player and believe that as a center he’s a very valuable and rare commodity in the NHL, a 200-foot center.”
Aug. 10, 2018 at 11:11 a.m.
Below Market Value
Dvorak is one of my favorite players in the NHL, so naturally I like this deal for him and the Coyotes.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 11:23 a.m.
Habs/Pens fan
This contract is a bit pricey now but will be a steal in 5 years from now.
Aug. 10, 2018 at 2:02 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: rebecca
I know right?! I can’t believe over 1/3 of readers (or voters at least - who I would think are knowledgeable about Cap Hit issues) are not in favour of this contract?! It’s one of the best signings of the off-season & follows on a series of relatively small but smart moves by Coyotes management.

I think they see an opening with California teams aging and their windows of competition opening, which is leaving the Pacific Division the unequivocally weakest division in the whole NHL. In 2-3 years the Coyotes could be on top and I could see them competing for a Top-3 position this season, tho it may be a bit early. But with Stepan/Galchenyuk/Dvorak down the middle for the next few years they have a deep and solid, albeit not elite 1/2/3 punch down the middle which, as we have seen, is a vital ingredient for success in today’s NHL.

I agree with u about your contract analysis and about 1/2/3 punch down the middle as a huge ingredient for success in today's league. As a Pens fan, I can't argue with that. My only disagree is about Arizona competing for playoffs right now. I think we can see them in that position probably in the next 2 or 3 seasons. They still need a top 6 winger and a top 4 d-man to compete for playoffs spot.

But thank u for your statement anyway. smile
rebecca liked this.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 11:28 a.m.
I think this deal is a solid gamble. He hasn't done anything yet to say he deserves it based on comparables, but $4.45M is well below what most top 6 players get. In a year or two, that's what a good 3C will cost, and he seems like the is at least that. If he ramps up production to ~50 point territory, which seems likely, you are getting a legit 2C for a bargain, and everything he does after that is gravy.

For a team trying to make a budget team into a playoff team, this is a very worthwhile gamble.
Jan. 3, 2023 at 12:35 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: Hedman4Norris
Still cheaper than Tom Wilson.

Still worse than Wilson

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit