SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Ottawa Senators signed Brady Tkachuk (3 Years / $3,425,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 13, 2018 at 3:31 p.m.
Brady Tkachuk has signed a new contract with the Ottawa Senators.
Entry-Level Contract
Comparable ContractsCOMPARE THIS CONTRACT
SIGNED BY: Pierre Dorion
Length: 3 years
Value: $10,275,000
Expiry Status: RFA
Cap % Tooltip: 1.16
Signing Team: Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsOttawa Senators
Signing Date: Aug. 13, 2018
Source: @CapFriendly

Brady Tkachuk signed a 3 year, $10,275,000 contract with the Ottawa Senators on Aug. 13, 2018. The contract has a cap hit of $925,000.

SEASONClauseCap HitTooltipAAV TooltipP. BonusesTooltipS. BonusesTooltipBase SalaryTooltipTotal SalaryTooltipMinors SalTooltip
2018-19$925,000$3,425,000$2,500,000$92,500$832,500$925,000$70,000
2019-20$925,000$3,425,000$2,500,000$92,500$832,500$925,000$70,000
2020-21$925,000$3,425,000$2,500,000$92,500$832,500$925,000$70,000
TOTAL$2,775,000$10,275,000$7,500,000$277,500$2,497,500$2,775,000$210,000
Qualifying OfferTooltip: $874,125
Aug. 13, 2018 at 3:46 p.m.
get ur corsi up

ConnorMcHellebucyk liked this.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 3:58 p.m.
Finally some good news out of Kanata. I think he's pretty much a lock to be playing in the NHL this season. I would imagine that both Tkachuk and Brown start on the third line together with Ryan, Boedker or White.
Briley and HotsamBatcho liked this.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 4:31 p.m.
mothariah
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
Finally some good news out of Kanata. I think he's pretty much a lock to be playing in the NHL this season. I would imagine that both Tkachuk and Brown start on the third line together with Ryan, Boedker or White.

Why does everyone keep saying he is a lock to play in the NHL this season? The kid had 8 goals last year in college. EIGHT. I get he has other elements to his game, and I not doubting that he will be a good NHL player, but there is no reason to rush him to the NHL when this team is going to be dreadful.

Am I the only one who thinks it might be a good idea to NOT see him in the NHL in 2018-19? Let him tear it up in the OHL or AHL and then give him a spot on the top line when Stone leaves.

As someone who follows the NCAA college hockey scene closely, I don't see anything in his game that shouts "NHL Rookie of the Year" in 18-19.

I look at it, and I see Casey Mittelstadt might be a comparable, but he at least played his age 18-19 year in college, and scored 30 point in 34 games (Tkachuk had 31 in 40 games).

No offense, but it feels like you're asking Joshua Norris (19th overall in 2017 by San Jose) to come in and play in your middle six. That guy had eight goals last year, too, and NO ONE is talking about him playing in the AHL in 2018-19, let alone the NHL.

Or how about Montreal's Ryan Poehling, who had 14 goals and 31 points in 37 games at St. Cloud last year as a freshman. He's part of an organization that HAS NO CENETERMEN, and yet he still isn't an "NHL player."

(I know offensive numbers aren't everything).

Let the kid develop...
CMac66, TOLA5760, JonJon and 3 others liked this.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 4:34 p.m.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 4:37 p.m.
mothariah
Last point: Clayton Keller had 45 points (21+24) in 31 games in his only season in college. THAT screams "NHLer" to me. And he would have won rookie of the year in a lot of years in his first season after college.

That is NOT what I see is Brady Tkachuk.
ForeverDED liked this.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
TOLA5760
Quoting: mothariah
Why does everyone keep saying he is a lock to play in the NHL this season? The kid had 8 goals last year in college. EIGHT. I get he has other elements to his game, and I not doubting that he will be a good NHL player, but there is no reason to rush him to the NHL when this team is going to be dreadful.

Am I the only one who thinks it might be a good idea to NOT see him in the NHL in 2018-19? Let him tear it up in the OHL or AHL and then give him a spot on the top line when Stone leaves.

As someone who follows the NCAA college hockey scene closely, I don't see anything in his game that shouts "NHL Rookie of the Year" in 18-19.

I look at it, and I see Casey Mittelstadt might be a comparable, but he at least played his age 18-19 year in college, and scored 30 point in 34 games (Tkachuk had 31 in 40 games).

No offense, but it feels like you're asking Joshua Norris (19th overall in 2017 by San Jose) to come in and play in your middle six. That guy had eight goals last year, too, and NO ONE is talking about him playing in the AHL in 2018-19, let alone the NHL.

Or how about Montreal's Ryan Poehling, who had 14 goals and 31 points in 37 games at St. Cloud last year as a freshman. He's part of an organization that HAS NO CENETERMEN, and yet he still isn't an "NHL player."

Let the kid develop...

Last point: Clayton Keller had 45 points (21+24) in 31 games in his only season in college. THAT screams "NHLer" to me. And he would have won rookie of the year in a lot of years in his first season after college.

That is NOT what I see is Brady Tkachuk.

Couldn't have said it any better, I know he has other elements to his game, but it's bold taking him over Zadina. I found Brady a little overrated, I think it is a really dumb move on his part if he gets sent to Junior, considering he could've built on his rookie season in college.

Knowing the Sens in the hunt not to finish in last place they'll rush him, I can see it. Guy needs to do a lot more developing in his game though.
Bryzgalovs_bears liked this.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 5:03 p.m.
Edited Aug. 13, 2018 at 5:13 p.m.

MATTHEW TKACHUK PRE-DRAFT STATS
2014-2015 | USNTDP Juniors | USDP | 65gp | 38g | 57a | 95pts | 1.46 PPG (points per game) | pre-draft season
2015-2016 | London Knights | OHL | 57gp | 30g | 77a | 107pts | 1.88 PPG (points per game) | draft season

BRADY TKACHUK PRE-DRAFT STATS
2016-2017 | USNTDP Juniors | USDP | 61gp | 25g | 29a | 54pts | 0.88 PPG (points per game) | pre-draft season
2017-2018 | Boston University | NCAA | 40gp | 8g | 23a | 31pts |0.78 PPG (points per game) | draft season

- YES....it's tough to compare statistics between different leagues....but 0.78 PPG in the NCAA does not even compare to 1.88 PPG in the OHL (at the same age).
- They also both played in the USDP at the same age and 0.88 PPG is not even in the same universe as 1.46 points per game.
- The PPG gap between the Tkachuks in the USDP is drastically larger than the gap between Auston Matthews and Matt Tkachuk in the USDP (at the same age).

If you expect Brady Tkachuk to post similar stats to Matthew Tkachuk in the NHL....you are in for BITTER DISAPPOINTMENT.

I'm just trying to state the truth and temper expectations....I'm not trying to bash Brady....and hopefully I'm wrong.
mothariah and ForeverDED liked this.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 5:42 p.m.

Let the kid develop...

I'm not expecting the dude to be in the calder race, but I think he's ready to step onto the Sens team. I don't think he has much competition in the bottom six. The bottom six without Tkachuk is likely Brown at 3C and some combination of Paajarvi, McCormick, Pyatt, Smith, Gaborik (if healthy), and one of Ryan/Boedker/White. Smith is probably a lock, but besides that, Tkachuk is a much better option than all of those guys. and if he's not ready, send him to London or Belleville after 9 games.

All I said was that he's a lock to start the season with the team, which is just true. barring some injury or a completely catastrophic training camp, Tkachuk has a spot in the opening night roster. The organization is VERY high on him, and are eager to see him succeed immediately, so there is one roster spot that is his to lose.

I personally think it would be better for Tkachuk and the Organization for Brown, White, Tkachuk, Wolanin and Chlapik to stay down in Belleville, to add to other young prospects like Luchuk and Batherson who will also be playing in the AHL. the sens are in for some pain this season, and I'd just as soon see them kept away from that.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 5:44 p.m.
the sens picked this guys because of his family success. Zadina was the obvious choice but the sens are taking a huge gamble on Tkachuk. if he blossoms into the gritty dynamic two way forward that Matthew tkachuk is then Ottawa hit the nail on the head. however if he stays inline with his current development he will be a good 2nd to 3rd line guy in 2-3 years. personally I believe this is a huge mistake for him to sign this contract. he should have stayed in the NCAA for atleast 1 more year and then moved to the ahl and possibly NHL next year. I am a flames fan and I was ecstatic when Matthew Tkachuk fell to the 6th overall pick for the flames. I don't quite get that feeling with Brady Tkachuk. hopefully he proves me wrong because even though I am not a Sens fan the more good teams in Canada the better
Aug. 13, 2018 at 8:39 p.m.
How can this not be a good signing for the Sens
He has a great pedigree and is a top prospect
Don't guarantee ****. I know
Good pick,good signing
Hopefully they don't get burned not taking Zadina
Aug. 14, 2018 at 5:45 a.m.

Let the kid develop...

He's only a "lock" to make the Sens b/c of how utterly depleted their roster is right now. Their bottom six is gonna look like that of a minor league team anyway. So why not throw him into the fire. That being said, I'd be shocked if he exceeded 10G and 20 points this season. His offensive skill set is nowhere near that of his brother's when he was a rookie w/ CGY.

I do believe it will backfire if they over-expose him to NHL competition too soon. He's clearly not ready given his lack of production at the NCAA level. Every move Dorion makes, or every move Melnyk makes Dorion make, ends up costing them. Just as I believe that selecting Brady ahead of Zadina will cost them.
mothariah liked this.
Aug. 14, 2018 at 5:50 a.m.
Should've sent him back to college to work on his offensive skills in a proper competitive environment. His numbers from last season do very little to inspire any sort of confidence right now. He needs to prove he belongs.
Aug. 14, 2018 at 7:44 a.m.
Give him 9 games with the Sens and then send him to the OHL. Give him a taste of what its going to take to compete in the NHL and then let him spend the season working on those things. Why waste a year of the kids contract when you're expected to be the worst team in the league.
ForeverDED liked this.
Aug. 14, 2018 at 8:43 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Brian2016
Should've sent him back to college to work on his offensive skills in a proper competitive environment. His numbers from last season do very little to inspire any sort of confidence right now. He needs to prove he belongs.

He signed for one reason. To get out of Ottawa in the shortest amount of time. Staying in college would have delayed his UFA status. I betcha he has a commitment from Ottawa that he plays 10 games in the NHL so he burns a year of ELC and gets a year closer to being a UFA.
Aug. 14, 2018 at 10:22 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
He signed for one reason. To get out of Ottawa in the shortest amount of time. Staying in college would have delayed his UFA status. I betcha he has a commitment from Ottawa that he plays 10 games in the NHL so he burns a year of ELC and gets a year closer to being a UFA.

HAHA!!! Nothing would surprise me. He'd probably have played in front of bigger crowds at BU this season than he will in OTT.
Aug. 14, 2018 at 10:32 a.m.
get ur corsi up

Wouldn't be surprised if that's true. Personally if I was drafted by Ottawa I'd be looking for the fastest route to free agency as well. Really wouldn't mind seeing this guy leave the Atlantic division either lol.
Aug. 14, 2018 at 10:51 a.m.
mothariah
Quoting: buxvet
How can this not be a good signing for the Sens
He has a great pedigree and is a top prospect
Don't guarantee ****. I know
Good pick,good signing
Hopefully they don't get burned not taking Zadina

I'm not saying he's not a good prospect. What I'm saying is he's not ready to be in the NHL. Okay, he could probably be a third liner on a BAD Ottawa team. But he would be better served lighting up the OHL/NCAA/AHL for a whole season to develop his offensive game more. It's obvious that that isn't as strong as it could be.

And stop giving me the "his dad and brother played in the NHL so he will be good." Look at Freddie Hamilton. Look at Marcel Hossa. Look at OEL's brother. Look at Blake Geoffrion (whose father, grandfather, and great-grandfather all played in the NHL, and he wasn't likely to be more than a fringe fourth liner before he got seriously injured).

Look at the Strome kids. They were supposed to be all great players. Ryan is disappointing on his second team. Dylan can't make the COYOTES. And Matthew wasn't drafted till the 4th round. Family doesn't mean everything.

Last argument: Why didn't Wayne Gretzky's kids amount to anything in sports? If you get all of your talent from your parents, why didn't any of them make it past minor league baseball or high school hockey? The kid is who HE is. I don't care how many rings or trophies his relatives have.
Aug. 14, 2018 at 11:39 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Daryl
Wouldn't be surprised if that's true. Personally if I was drafted by Ottawa I'd be looking for the fastest route to free agency as well. Really wouldn't mind seeing this guy leave the Atlantic division either lol.

We have seen it with Trouba, taking short term contracts in order to reach UFA sooner. Certainly Trouba gave up some money and security with this shortest deals. I just think Tzachuk might be in the same position. Who knows with a couple of good drafts and with some cap space, Ottawa might be an appealing destination in four or five years. I certainly don't wish any bad fortune on the Sens or their fans, but the next couple of years sure look painful.
Aug. 14, 2018 at 12:37 p.m.

Fastest way to get out of Ottawa would be playing out his college career so he would've become a UFA in august 2021. With signing this contract and IF he plays 10 games this year he just can become a RFA without arbitration rights in 2021...
dirtysaucedonny and palhal liked this.
Aug. 14, 2018 at 2:29 p.m.
dirtysaucedonny

Let the kid develop...

You had me on board until the comparables. Those are not comparable players, and not comparable franchises. Mid first round picks are rarely, if ever expected to play in the AHL or NHL the year following being drafted. Top 5 picks are very frequently at least given the chance to show what they can do. The San Jose comparison is laughable, they're nowhere close to being as short on talent as Ottawa is. Conversely, MTL is almost in the same position as Ottawa, but Poehling and Tkachuk are extremely different players. Tkachuk is tough enough and skilled enough to play in the NHL right now. Not sayign he'd put up huge numbers, but somewhere in the 30-35 pts range would not be out of the question IMO.

Have to agree he's definitely not a lock in the NHL this year. To me, it's all about where he plays. If Ottawa keeps the trend of playing the young guys in bottom six roles, please God do not have Tkachuk in NHL. That would be an absolute waster. But, if he's consistently going to play beside Duchene or Stone in a top-six role, I'm all for it. He needs to be getting 15+ mins a night to make it worth him playing in the NHL. Personally, I'd love to see one of three things:
A) Plays his 9 games in the NHL to start the year, then goes and tears it up in London.
B) Plays until Christmas, goes to the WJC, and finishes the year in London
C) Play him in the NHL throughout the year, and if they ever want to play him in a bottom six role, send him down to play top minutes in the AHL.

I think he's ready to play now, but it has to be in the right circumstances.
Aug. 14, 2018 at 3:18 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: happe
Fastest way to get out of Ottawa would be playing out his college career so he would've become a UFA in august 2021. With signing this contract and IF he plays 10 games this year he just can become a RFA without arbitration rights in 2021...

Thanks for "college ruling". I guess he didn't want three years of college and then a 950.000 RFA contract, 2021/22. Hey I hope Tzachuk is happy in the Ottawa organization. Best thing he can do is be a good player and a good citizen, which can only help his career. The best thing the Sens can do is to develop him properly.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit