SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Edmonton Oilers signed Jakub Jerabek (1 Year / $1,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 21, 2018 at 11:17 a.m.
Jakub Jerabek has signed a new contract with the Edmonton Oilers.
Standard Contract
Comparable ContractsCOMPARE THIS CONTRACT
SIGNED BY: Peter Chiarelli
Length: 1 year
Value: $1,000,000
Expiry Status: UFA
Cap % Tooltip: 1.26
Signing Team: Logo of the Edmonton OilersEdmonton Oilers
Signing Date: Aug. 20, 2018
Source: CapFriendly

Jakub Jeřábek signed a 1 year, $1,000,000 contract with the Edmonton Oilers on Aug. 20, 2018. The contract has a cap hit of $1,000,000.

SEASONClauseCap HitTooltipAAV TooltipP. BonusesTooltipS. BonusesTooltipBase SalaryTooltipTotal SalaryTooltipMinors SalTooltip
2018-19$1,000,000$1,000,000$0$0$1,000,000$1,000,000$1,000,000
TOTAL$1,000,000$1,000,000$0$0$1,000,000$1,000,000$1,000,000
Aug. 21, 2018 at 11:39 a.m.
Buljujarvi
well he's not sekera but he could help for sure!
Aug. 21, 2018 at 2:08 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Priority should be signing Nurse.
Aug. 21, 2018 at 4:06 p.m.
While he will not replace Sekera he should bring in some healthy competition for spots on the blue line and provide some organizational depth should injuries start to pile up. In all likelihood he will be in the press box at least 1/3 of the season unless there are major injuries forcing him into the lineup.

It would be good to bring up/in youngsters like Bear, Kylington, and of course Bouchard when they are ready instead of when the Oilers have space on the blueline. Otherwise too much too soon could irrevocably harm these kids confidence and further taint the Oilers locker room with that sense of futility that has reigned even during the past 3 seasons since McDavid was drafted. No organization has shipped out more talent than Edmonton and it’s all been to foster a culture change (and to add depth on the blue line). While Larsson is good, I don’t know if he makes up for a Hart Trophy winner and given last year that culture change is still...underway.

Signing Jerabek allows their youth to develop this year with an eye towards competing in the future. It’s a smart move and a good one to see Chiarelli make as he recognizes they are not quite ready to be a Cup contender quite yet. When their blueline youngsters are ready they certainly should be - and thus their development is vital.
Aug. 21, 2018 at 4:11 p.m.
Decent bet, would have preferred a guy like Sproul though.
Aug. 21, 2018 at 4:12 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
Priority should be signing Nurse.

I fully agree. But while this brings them closer to the Cap by 1 million dollars it won’t make Nurse impossible to sign. And furthermore Jerabek’s addition will allow young blue liners in their system to develop rather than be rushed when injuries strike.

I believe Nurse will receive a 2-year bridge deal at or around $3.5M per season AAV. He could certainly get more if he signs long-term (into 6-7M on an 8y deal). While handing out max length contracts has been a trend in Edmonton for the past several years but I think a more cautious approach is needed. Besides, with or without Jerabek the Oilers wouldn’t have the Cap space to sign Nurse to a long-term extension. But should he be getting a bridge deal as I have believed he will all summer then they have just enough to sign him still (~4M in Cap space remaining).
ConnorMcHellebucyk liked this.
Aug. 21, 2018 at 4:31 p.m.
While I think it’s a decent depth add, I wonder why a R-shot Dman wasn’t signed instead? In terms of their 23-man, the Oilers are much deeper (5 now not incl Sekera) in the L than on the R (2 in total). Of course are only 12 R-shot DMen left who were on NHL contracts last season and available as UFAs as opposed to 22 L-shot DMen (according to this site) and other than Kevin Bieksa, none played 24+ games last season in the NHL, so that doesn’t leave much. They could have signed Cody Franson (who has offensive upside and good peripherals) but is too slow for today’s NHL, or Ryan Sproul, I suppose. They played 23 and 16 games respectively. Anyone else would not have served the purpose of adding veteran depth to allow their D prospects time to develop properly.
Aug. 21, 2018 at 4:59 p.m.
Not going to even bother voting on this one, as I don't think either quite apply. Not signing Nurse once again isn't a good sign, but obviously they also needed some more depth with Sekera out indefinitely. I don't see this guy being anything amazing for the Oilers though, otherwise the Caps would have hung onto him or somebody else would have already stolen him. So 1mil overpay for some 7th man, potentially waiver wire AHL dump, leaves me wishing they just put down 600,000 on a bigger no name that might have slipped under the radar/could have a big summer of improvement.
Aug. 21, 2018 at 9:16 p.m.
Quoting: ConnorMcHellebucyk
well he's not sekera but he could help for sure!

Help w/ what exactly? He's 27 tears old and has scored a total of 2G and 6A in his NHL career. I guess he can help ensure another lottery pick in the 2019 NHL Draft.
bhavikp27 liked this.
Aug. 22, 2018 at 4:17 p.m.
We are all equal
Quoting: Brian2016
Help w/ what exactly? He's 27 tears old and has scored a total of 2G and 6A in his NHL career. I guess he can help ensure another lottery pick in the 2019 NHL Draft.

Last year was his very first season in North America. So the 27 year old argument meh. This will be his second season now playing and will be more accustomed to living away from what he was use to. I expect him to be better this upcoming season.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Aug. 23, 2018 at 8:07 a.m.
Quoting: weirfanno1
Last year was his very first season in North America. So the 27 year old argument meh. This will be his second season now playing and will be more accustomed to living away from what he was use to. I expect him to be better this upcoming season.

If he was good enough to play in the NHL he'd have already been there. But you're probably right. I think he'll score 3G and 7A this season. One things for sure: He's gonna get the opportunity. Things aren't looking too auspicious for EDM-a team a lot of writers and analysts are predicting to make a return to the Playoffs this season. Personally, I think the Oilers are spend another year towards the bottom of the Pacific Division along w/ VAN. Even the Coyotes seem to have improved. I give EDM about a 20% chance of making the playoffs, despite having the best player in the world.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit