SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Replacing Prospects with Current Players(ceiling projections)

Team: 2018-19 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 21, 2018
Published: Aug. 21, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Borrowed this format from jassan28, thought it would be fun. In most cases I've tried to find players of the same position, handiness, back-round, style, draft position and progression. Keep in mind this is my take on their ceilings and I realize only a small portion will realize their full potential.
Trades
BOS
  1. O'Reilly, Ryan
Additional Details:
Backes, David ($6,000,000)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$79,500,000$149,461,501$774,000$0-$69,961,501
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 5
$4,766,667$4,766,667
RW
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$5,187,500$5,187,500
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NTC
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$3,850,000$3,850,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
UFA - 3
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,625,000$4,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,400,000$5,400,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,350,000$4,350,000
G
UFA - 3
$4,333,333$4,333,333
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,437,500$2,437,500
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$2,137,500$2,137,500
LD/RD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 21, 2018 at 3:59 p.m.
habs_fan
Is this a ******* joke
SammyT_51 liked this.
Aug. 21, 2018 at 4:09 p.m.
Quoting: habs_fan123
Is this a ******* joke

I understand your ignorance and hatred. Habs are going to be terrible for the forseeable future. Perhaps don't comment on teams that are based entirely on prospects you know almost nothing about or read the description and don't leave a comment at all. Just a suggestion to make this place enjoyable for everyone else too and not just yourself.
F50marco liked this.
Aug. 21, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.
Habs for 25
these are pretty spot on honestly. I like the Gabrielle to Gallagher comparrison
Aug. 21, 2018 at 4:32 p.m.
Quoting: keepcalmandbergeron
I understand your ignorance and hatred. Habs are going to be terrible for the forseeable future. Perhaps don't comment on teams that are based entirely on prospects you know almost nothing about or read the description and don't leave a comment at all. Just a suggestion to make this place enjoyable for everyone else too and not just yourself.

his comment maybe ignorant but he's not wrong. comparing prospects to current players is an exercise in futility and a complete waste of time. I could just as easily list all the Habs prospects and say their ceiling is the equivalent of Connor Mcdavid IMO. in every single one of your examples above there is absolutely no evidence that any of those prospects come anywhere near the potential ceilings of their corresponding player. and its not a small portion that will reach that potential its like 1 in 200 especially with themajority of the guys that you listed being 1st to 2nd line players and top pairing defenseman/ top 5 NHL goalies. not even remotely realistic
Aug. 21, 2018 at 4:34 p.m.
Quoting: Canadianape
his comment maybe ignorant but he's not wrong. comparing prospects to current players is an exercise in futility and a complete waste of time. I could just as easily list all the Habs prospects and say their ceiling is the equivalent of Connor Mcdavid IMO. in every single one of your examples above there is absolutely no evidence that any of those prospects come anywhere near the potential ceilings of their corresponding player. and its not a small portion that will reach that potential its like 1 in 200 especially with themajority of the guys that you listed being 1st to 2nd line players and top pairing defenseman/ top 5 NHL goalies. not even remotely realistic

realisticly 1-4 of those prospects even make the NHL and likely bottom 6 or third pairing defenseman
Aug. 21, 2018 at 4:46 p.m.

I would call it an exercise for sure. Exercise in fun as a hockey fan in August. One that is intended for fans of the Boston Bruins or someone who follows the draft and the minor leagues. In your comments alone you showed off your ignorance in your next post by saying 1-4 will make the NHL. To inform you, 9 of those young players played significant time in Boston last year alone (30GP+) while another 5 will most likely see time up when the inevitable injuries crop up.
Aug. 21, 2018 at 4:49 p.m.
Quoting: BrandonMcD11
these are pretty spot on honestly. I like the Gabrielle to Gallagher comparrison

Thanks, I can appreciate some constructive feedback, even from a habs fan haha :-).
Aug. 21, 2018 at 5:01 p.m.

What is the point of projections than? There is no actual proof to link a player to any projection as you say, yet scouts and analysts use it all the time......

Regardless, Its exactly for what OP said it was. For fun. There is no proof behind it, simply ones opinion. There is nothing wrong with that. You can claim every Habs prospect the next McDavid if you'd like, that is your opinion. Not one I share but can't take you opinion away. Maybe try to convince you otherwise but that's it.

The only waste of time so far has been the commentors not reading the description and going straight for the jugular on something that is supposed to be strictly opinionated.
Aug. 21, 2018 at 5:13 p.m.
Bcarlo25
I think Studnicka has a much higher ceiling. GAbrielle probably tops out in the east coast league.

Don’t see the Carlo to jbo comparison at all
Aug. 21, 2018 at 5:22 p.m.
Quoting: Bcarlo25
I think Studnicka has a much higher ceiling. GAbrielle probably tops out in the east coast league.

Don’t see the Carlo to jbo comparison at all

Jbo once out of Florida is where I was seeing it. His offense decreased a lot and he settled into his elite skater, shutdown D role (team Canada worthy). I agree that Gabrielle LIKEY tops out less then Gallagher and out of the NHL but the whole premise of this team is their top end which is much more fun to pick then everyone's terrible chances of making the NHL or their floor for that matter.

Edit: Studnicka needs to fill out more and has more to prove for me to change that. I'd be more then happy if he ended up an all situations 60pt centerman. What do you see him as?
Aug. 21, 2018 at 5:31 p.m.
I would call it an exercise for sure. Exercise in fun as a hockey fan in August. One that is intended for fans of the Boston Bruins or someone who follows the draft and the minor leagues. In your comments alone you showed off your ignorance in your next post by saying 1-4 will make the NHL. To inform you, 9 of those young players played significant time in Boston last year alone (30GP+) while another 5 will most likely see time up when the inevitable injuries crop up.

Quoting: F50marco
What is the point of projections than? There is no actual proof to link a player to any projection as you say, yet scouts and analysts use it all the time......

Regardless, Its exactly for what OP said it was. For fun. There is no proof behind it, simply ones opinion. There is nothing wrong with that. You can claim every Habs prospect the next McDavid if you'd like, that is your opinion. Not one I share but can't take you opinion away. Maybe try to convince you otherwise but that's it.

The only waste of time so far has been the commentors not reading the description and going straight for the jugular on something that is supposed to be strictly opinionated.

first of all if they played in the NHL last season then they are no longer considered prospects and if you read what I said, I said prospects not young players.
second. guys that are AHL players that get called up to play incase of injury are not considered NHL players. if we were to count ever player in the history of the NHL to have played 1-10 games then ya you are right nearly every AHL player is an NHL player

this post is completely and utterly unrealistic (hence the criticism). half of the players they are comparing these prospects too are top 30 players in the league. that's why I made the comment about Mcdavid.
Its fine to do something for fun but if you are going to post it in a public forum such as AGM be prepared to be criticized for it especially if the opinion is absolutely ridiculous.

Scouts and Analysts use projections to compare and contrast similarities in play styles. such as this guy................. plays like this......... guy. no analyst or Scout in the history of the league has come out and said I think this guy is gonna be the next Kucherov or Rinne or Doughty. that's a great way to destroy your credibility because 99% of the time that player is not gonna reach that projection.

also to the point of projection I do truly see them as a complete waste of time because there are hundreds of instances when a player is touted to be the next big thing and then fails miserably and also the other way around where a player becomes a top player in the league after going tin the 7th round at the draft. a projection is completely opinionated and as an analysis tool, completely useless. however if you are going to make a projection atleast make them somewhat realistic. Ex. Studnika and Frederic do not have the potential to be Ryan O'rielly or David Backes

could you imagine if a hyoung guy walked into the team ho drafted him and the first thing he is told by everybody is we expect you to be the next kucherov. talk about ridiculous expectations
Aug. 21, 2018 at 5:36 p.m.
habs_fan
Palat, O Bjork, A.
Hoffman, M
Aug. 21, 2018 at 5:39 p.m.
habs_fan

lol

i did

How is Pasternak a prospect exactly

same with the acciari

and when you say palat is debrusk's ceiling

I can't tell if you are joking or not
Aug. 21, 2018 at 5:42 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Jbo once out of Florida is where I was seeing it. His offense decreased a lot and he settled into his elite skater, shutdown D role (team Canada worthy). I agree that Gabrielle LIKEY tops out less then Gallagher and out of the NHL but the whole premise of this team is their top end which is much more fun to pick then everyone's terrible chances of making the NHL or their floor for that matter.

Edit: Studnicka needs to fill out more and has more to prove for me to change that. I'd be more then happy if he ended up an all situations 60pt centerman. What do you see him as?

Gabrielle got sent from the ahl back to junior. He’s nothing
Aug. 21, 2018 at 5:56 p.m.
first of all if they played in the NHL last season then they are no longer considered prospects and if you read what I said, I said prospects not young players.
second. guys that are AHL players that get called up to play incase of injury are not considered NHL players. if we were to count ever player in the history of the NHL to have played 1-10 games then ya you are right nearly every AHL player is an NHL player

this post is completely and utterly unrealistic (hence the criticism). half of the players they are comparing these prospects too are top 30 players in the league. that's why I made the comment about Mcdavid.
Its fine to do something for fun but if you are going to post it in a public forum such as AGM be prepared to be criticized for it especially if the opinion is absolutely ridiculous.

Scouts and Analysts use projections to compare and contrast similarities in play styles. such as this guy................. plays like this......... guy. no analyst or Scout in the history of the league has come out and said I think this guy is gonna be the next Kucherov or Rinne or Doughty. that's a great way to destroy your credibility because 99% of the time that player is not gonna reach that projection.

also to the point of projection I do truly see them as a complete waste of time because there are hundreds of instances when a player is touted to be the next big thing and then fails miserably and also the other way around where a player becomes a top player in the league after going tin the 7th round at the draft. a projection is completely opinionated and as an analysis tool, completely useless. however if you are going to make a projection atleast make them somewhat realistic. Ex. Studnika and Frederic do not have the potential to be Ryan O'rielly or David Backes

could you imagine if a hyoung guy walked into the team ho drafted him and the first thing he is told by everybody is we expect you to be the next kucherov. talk about ridiculous expectations

If your time is so valuable why do you even bother to respond? The players themselves have other players they try to emulate. McAvoy likes Doughty, Fredrick likes Backes, Lemieux liked Gretzky. These players are fans first, then they realize that their dreams may be possible. Why can't Frederick become similar to Backes? Why can't Studnicka became a similar player to O'Reilly? Why would make such outlandish statements if projections are useless and a waste of time? I have no idea what kind of players they, neither do you but it's fun trying to figure it out and talk about it with other fans.

I would count maybe 2 players that I've chosen to currently be consideered in the top 30 in the league, it's not THAT unrealistic, look at almost any SC winning teams roster. They probably had two or more that year. It has also dawned on me that it is quite possible that your top 30 and my top 30 are quite different judging on this team I've made here.

I'm not worried about my credibility on a hockey forum that is for entertainment. If you re-read the description (I'm assuming you read it initially) you will see I make no reference to realism or that ALL the players will achieve where I see them POSSIBLY getting to.

These players face unrealistic expectations at an early age; be it extreme talent, extreme parenting, or extreme coaching or a combination. They know what it is.
Aug. 21, 2018 at 6:02 p.m.
lol

i did

How is Pasternak a prospect exactly

same with the acciari

and when you say palat is debrusk's ceiling

I can't tell if you are joking or not

I guess I should have titled it differently in hindsight. More of an age 25 and under projection. I don't believe that your initial reaction was based on the definition of prospects though. More haste, trolling and immaturity. If you actually wanted to come here and have a conversation you wouldn't be responding like that. I can just image you coming home from school and your mom having a snack on the table for you and you saying that. Her reaction would be priceless.
Aug. 21, 2018 at 6:11 p.m.
Quoting: Bcarlo25
Gabrielle got sent from the ahl back to junior. He’s nothing

I know that. What makes you think I DIDN'T know that? He's 21, he was drafted by the Boston Bruins that is why he is on this team. Whether he amounts to an NHL player is entirely up to him, not me or you. I made a guess as to what type of player he may become. I'll rephrase my question to you again to try and have an actual conversation instead of your typical two liners with no substance. Where do you see Studnicka in 5 years?
Aug. 21, 2018 at 6:12 p.m.
If your time is so valuable why do you even bother to respond? The players themselves have other players they try to emulate. McAvoy likes Doughty, Fredrick likes Backes, Lemieux liked Gretzky. These players are fans first, then they realize that their dreams may be possible. Why can't Frederick become similar to Backes? Why can't Studnicka became a similar player to O'Reilly? Why would make such outlandish statements if projections are useless and a waste of time? I have no idea what kind of players they, neither do you but it's fun trying to figure it out and talk about it with other fans.

I would count maybe 2 players that I've chosen to currently be consideered in the top 30 in the league, it's not THAT unrealistic, look at almost any SC winning teams roster. They probably had two or more that year. It has also dawned on me that it is quite possible that your top 30 and my top 30 are quite different judging on this team I've made here.

I'm not worried about my credibility on a hockey forum that is for entertainment. If you re-read the description (I'm assuming you read it initially) you will see I make no reference to realism or that ALL the players will achieve where I see them POSSIBLY getting to.

These players face unrealistic expectations at an early age; be it extreme talent, extreme parenting, or extreme coaching or a combination. They know what it is.

who the player chooses to emulate has nothing to do with anything

and ok maybe not top 30 in the league but definitely top 20 at their position Doughty, Allen, Rinne, O'Reilly kucherov, Gallegher, Hoffman, gostisbehere

im not talking about your credibility you are not a scout or analyst. those people have credibility because its their job and if there wrong its them doing their job poorly.

I never said its not possible for them to be a backs or a Oreilly but to make a projection that they could be is unrealistic. the vast majority of these players wont be nhl regulars and even if they are they will most likely be bottom six forwards or third pairing defense.
any way im done commenting but if you are going to do an exercise such as this one on this site please try to keep it realistic. if its not realistic then it literally adds nothing to a constructive conversation.
but do what ever you want I cant tell you how to live your life smile
Aug. 21, 2018 at 6:25 p.m.
who the player chooses to emulate has nothing to do with anything

and ok maybe not top 30 in the league but definitely top 20 at their position Doughty, Allen, Rinne, O'Reilly kucherov, Gallegher, Hoffman, gostisbehere

im not talking about your credibility you are not a scout or analyst. those people have credibility because its their job and if there wrong its them doing their job poorly.

I never said its not possible for them to be a backs or a Oreilly but to make a projection that they could be is unrealistic. the vast majority of these players wont be nhl regulars and even if they are they will most likely be bottom six forwards or third pairing defense.
any way im done commenting but if you are going to do an exercise such as this one on this site please try to keep it realistic. if its not realistic then it literally adds nothing to a constructive conversation.
but do what ever you want I cant tell you how to live your life smile

Your post had literally "Studnika and Frederic do not have the potential to be Ryan O'rielly or David Backes". That was cut and pasted here from your post. You can't move the goal posts to score a goal and in this case you doing it to try to win an argument in logic. You went from top 30 players, to top 20 at their positions quite fast. None of what happens here is realistic. Almost none of it comes true. People come here to suspend reality and pretend to know something about hockey and then talk about it. Your ability to suspend belief affects many things. A movie such as Fast & Furious has almost no realism yet people love it. Why, because they suspend their beliefs for a moment to enjoy it. Try and imagine for a second if ALL these players played in the NHL on the same team. What would it look like to you?
F50marco liked this.
Aug. 22, 2018 at 10:06 a.m.
Sweet jesus, I am convinced people only come here to argue the slightest things sometimes... @keepcalmandbergeron

Your description was clear enough and I understood exactly what you were getting at with it from the start.

I don't necessarily agree with half the comparisons but then again its purely opinionated so who gives a flying ****......

So its ok for an analyst to "compare and contrast similarities in play styles" but not for OP? All he's doing is projecting if a players potential is fulfilled and based on the style of play currently, this is potentially what he thinks they will be. No where does he say " Gabrielle is the next Gallagher and will be 100% for sure". He's simply giving his opinion on what he hopes a player can be. There is no waste of time here except for your opinions of how he shouldn't be wasting his time doing this. You have that backwards, YOU shouldn't be wasting YOUR time if you don't agree with the premise of the AGM. Not him. You aren't giving constructive criticism.

Once again so you say these projections are useless but if you do use them, at least make them realistic? Oh ok so YOUR OPINION is what can makes it realistic? See where that is very hypocritical?

So stop with psycho-analytical babble and read the description again:

Replacing Prospects with Current Players(ceiling projections)
"Borrowed this format from jassan28, thought it would be fun. In most cases I've tried to find players of the same position, handiness, back-round, style, draft position and progression. Keep in mind this is my take on their ceilings and I realize only a small portion will realize their full potential."

For Christ's sake, you don't go to an art gallery and argue an artists own interpretation of his work.
Aug. 22, 2018 at 10:20 a.m.
Your post had literally "Studnika and Frederic do not have the potential to be Ryan O'rielly or David Backes". That was cut and pasted here from your post. You can't move the goal posts to score a goal and in this case you doing it to try to win an argument in logic. You went from top 30 players, to top 20 at their positions quite fast. None of what happens here is realistic. Almost none of it comes true. People come here to suspend reality and pretend to know something about hockey and then talk about it. Your ability to suspend belief affects many things. A movie such as Fast & Furious has almost no realism yet people love it. Why, because they suspend their beliefs for a moment to enjoy it. Try and imagine for a second if ALL these players played in the NHL on the same team. What would it look like to you?

people come here to post their opinions and when that opinion isn't realistic people tell them it isn't realistic that's the entire point behind AGM.

Do I have to spell it out for you what im saying is YOUR OPINION ISN'T VERY REALISTIC however you are welcome to it

Sweet jesus, I am convinced people only come here to argue the slightest things sometimes... @keepcalmandbergeron

For Christ's sake, you don't go to an art gallery and argue an artists own interpretation of his work.

if he is allowed to express his opinion I am just as freely allowed to express my opinion that he is wrong. that's what makes the world go round. making arbitrary predictions simply because you are a fan of a certain team based on no rumor, fact, or stat is extremely open to criticism. I did read the description but that did little to help the lunacy of this post.
Aug. 22, 2018 at 10:38 a.m.
people come here to post their opinions and when that opinion isn't realistic people tell them it isn't realistic that's the entire point behind AGM.

Do I have to spell it out for you what im saying is YOUR OPINION ISN'T VERY REALISTIC however you are welcome to it

if he is allowed to express his opinion I am just as freely allowed to express my opinion that he is wrong. that's what makes the world go round. making arbitrary predictions simply because you are a fan of a certain team based on no rumor, fact, or stat is extremely open to criticism. I did read the description but that did little to help the lunacy of this post.

Where in this thread did I state that they weren't based on stats, rumors, or facts?You are literally making up points that aren't present as you go along to perpetuate an argument.

The whole premise of the thread is projections of players. If you don't like projections then don't participate. It's like going into a Chinese food restaurant and telling them they are cooking it wrong, their is food terrible and no one should eat it. They are just trying to sell Chinese food, not burgers or pizza or what ever else you feel like eating. If you don't like Chinese food don't come in.
Aug. 22, 2018 at 10:56 a.m.
Where in this thread did I state that they weren't based on stats, rumors, or facts?You are literally making up points that aren't present as you go along to perpetuate an argument.

The whole premise of the thread is projections of players. If you don't like projections then don't participate. It's like going into a Chinese food restaurant and telling them they are cooking it wrong, their is food terrible and no one should eat it. They are just trying to sell Chinese food, not burgers or pizza or what ever else you feel like eating. If you don't like Chinese food don't come in.

it isn't based on facts rumors or stats its a Projection. it is arbitrary based on opinion. you haven't provided a single valid point from your side of the argument so it isn't an argument its just me saying something and then you telling me I'm wrong

Whatever dude I'm not going to comment on this anymore just know that this is a terrible post that serves no constructive purpose
Aug. 22, 2018 at 11:13 a.m.

Except you didn't do that! You could of easily said which players you disagree/agree with and that would have been fine. Instead you gave a spiel of how this was an "exercise in futility and a complete waste of time"! You didn't criticize his opinion of the projections of the players, you criticized his reasoning for expressing his opinion for this AGM.

He didn't ask you for your opinion of what " The merits of projecting players has or doesn't have". YOU came here to comment. He didn't ask you to.

I'm not simply picking sides based on his AGM either:

"I don't necessarily agree with half the comparisons but then again its purely opinionated so who gives a flying ****"

So enough with the hyperbole of what is realistic and what isn't. The question never was realistically predicting exact matches for players potential. It was a light hearted, fun way to project players potential futures based on a few factors and, since we are amateurs at the end of the day, limited knowledge. He is no more wrong then he is right. There is nothing that can be said to prove/disprove any of these claims.

Hence why it is opinionated.
Aug. 22, 2018 at 12:01 p.m.
Is this a ******* joke

Except you didn't do that! You could of easily said which players you disagree/agree with and that would have been fine. Instead you gave a spiel of how this was an "exercise in futility and a complete waste of time"! You didn't criticize his opinion of the projections of the players, you criticized his reasoning for expressing his opinion for this AGM.

He didn't ask you for your opinion of what " The merits of projecting players has or doesn't have". YOU came here to comment. He didn't ask you to.

I'm not simply picking sides based on his AGM either:

"I don't necessarily agree with half the comparisons but then again its purely opinionated so who gives a flying ****"

So enough with the hyperbole of what is realistic and what isn't. The question never was realistically predicting exact matches for players potential. It was a light hearted, fun way to project players potential futures based on a few factors and, since we are amateurs at the end of the day, limited knowledge. He is no more wrong then he is right. There is nothing that can be said to prove/disprove any of these claims.

Hence why it is opinionated.

this is the first thing I posted. yes I touched on the fact that I didn't like Projections. but as you can read the majority of what I wrote is telling him that noenof the prospects come anywhere near the comparisons he made and he is wrong to compare prospects to 1st/2nd line players and top pairing defenseman and top 5 goalies in the league. meaning I disagree with every single one of his projections

finally as I said to the other guy im done commenting on this. it is my OPINION that doing things on this website that are not even close to realistic is a waste of time however hes free to post whatever he wants but that doesn't mean he is protected from criticism for those posts

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll