Forums/Armchair-GM

Turn This Mess into Success - Eugene, Let me help you FOR FREE

Created by: burla13
Team: 2018-19 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 25, 2018
Published: Aug. 26, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
1. Take bad contracts that have a higher cap hit than real money.
2. Weaponize the cap to help teams that are snug or want room for next year.
3. Get as many drafts picks for Karlsson, Stone, Duchene as you possibly can.
Finish in the bottom of the League in 19-20
20-21, there is going to be the pain.
Come Back in a similar way as the Leafs with no bad contracts, various draft picks and saves money because of deals that offer artificial cap fillup for low real dollars to save the team money in a time where they need it.

Spend like Arizona, only quickly.
Rebuild like the Leafs.

By the way, for those of you who think a rule might be broken, I went through the rules of the cap, you can retain on 3 players a year.

I think Franzen's contract will be a prize for Ottawa or Arizona, whoever gets him first and helps Detroit (they are over the cap).
Trades
OTT
  1. Hanzal, Martin
  2. Heiskanen, Miro
  3. 2019 1st round pick (DAL)
Additional Details:
I think this gets it done, more cap space for them to resign EK and Seguin next year, if it isn't Heiskanen I do not do the deal.
Chicago 2nd if you do not get Miro, but let's do this because it makes sense.
Ottawa also gets a pick in the 1st round of the draft, Dallas adds EK, don't lose off the roster, they are a good team now.
OTT
  1. 2019 1st round pick (NSH)
  2. 2019 4th round pick (NSH)
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (NSH)
NSH
  1. Stone, Mark ($3,350,000 retained)
OTT
  1. Gardiner, Jake
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (TOR)
  3. 2019 4th round pick (STL)
OTT
  1. Callahan, Ryan
  2. 2020 1st round pick (TBL)
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (TBL)
OTT
  1. 2019 7th round pick (NYR)
NYR
  1. Callahan, Ryan ($2,900,000 retained)
  2. 2019 7th round pick (CGY)
OTT
  1. 2019 2nd round pick (FLA)
Additional Details:
2 San Jose prospects equal to who they took with the picks from Hoffman trade,

Player 1
Player 2
SJS
  1. Gardiner, Jake
Additional Details:
San Jose's actually weak at LD, Jake would play with Brent or on a different line and juts be sick (he could also sign here as an FA, but SHarks know the Joe window is closing and would give up picks to win this year)
OTT
  1. Franzen, Johan
  2. 2019 7th round pick (ARI)
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (DET)
  4. 2021 3rd round pick (VGK)
Additional Details:
Literally this should be done. 3 more years of a cap hit almost 4, making only 1 in real money.
Detroit sends a pick to avoid overages from how good Zadina should be.
DET
  1. 2019 7th round pick (NYR)
OTT
  1. 2019 1st round pick (WPG)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the STL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$79,500,000$58,854,544$0$3,975,000$20,645,456
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$4,875,000$4,875,000
RW
UFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,954,545$3,954,545
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$360,000$360K)
LD
UFA - 2
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
G
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$714,167$714,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,650,000$4,650,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 26, 2018 at 12:49 a.m.
Does Franzen have a career-ending skin disease too? Very peculiar how everyone getting paid 1mil at the tail end of their contract are injured.

Edit: I did not realize he has been out for years from PCS. Brutal.
Aug. 26, 2018 at 12:56 a.m.
Burla
Quoting: Weezley
Does Franzen have a career-ending skin disease too? Very peculiar how everyone getting paid 1mil at the tail end of their contract are injured.

Edit: I did not realize he has been out for years from PCS. Brutal.

Yeah, it is rough, however, I think if you are Ottawa, you know he is going to collect that 1 mil, which he very much should, and it is good for your cap.
Aug. 26, 2018 at 12:56 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Not sure on the rest, but Toronto laughs at you for even suggesting this trade. Gardiner has been vilified in the media after what was the worst game of his career, but he is a number 1 LD that is very good offensively, and sufficient defensively. His problem is not so much defensive, but decision making, which on top of being a much smaller and controllable problem, is also still able to be fixed even though he is well into his career. Even without that, no one is taking Ceci for anything. He is one of if not the worst D-men in the league statistically, and the eye test is not flattering either. He is also paid more than Gardiner. You might get a 3rd from a team looking for a bottom pairing O-zone start only Dman that can add some offence, maybe, but not a #1 LD like Gardiner.

Just for those reading who don't thing Gardiner is a #1 D, he and Zaitzev were our top pairing last season on the 11th (or 12th) best D core in the league by pk% and goals against respectively. His flaws are massively overstated thanks to one bad showing in a season where he was solid Defensively (but not perfect by any stretch) and excellent offensively.

tl;dr
Leafs say no.
Aug. 26, 2018 at 1:06 a.m.
Burla
Quoting: Random2152
Not sure on the rest, but Toronto laughs at you for even suggesting this trade. Gardiner has been vilified in the media after what was the worst game of his career, but he is a number 1 LD that is very good offensively, and sufficient defensively. His problem is not so much defensive, but decision making, which on top of being a much smaller and controllable problem, is also still able to be fixed even though he is well into his career. Even without that, no one is taking Ceci for anything. He is one of if not the worst D-men in the league statistically, and the eye test is not flattering either. He is also paid more than Gardiner. You might get a 3rd from a team looking for a bottom pairing O-zone start only Dman that can add some offence, maybe, but not a #1 LD like Gardiner.

Just for those reading who don't thing Gardiner is a #1 D, he and Zaitzev were our top pairing last season on the 11th (or 12th) best D core in the league by pk% and goals against respectively. His flaws are massively overstated thanks to one bad showing in a season where he was solid Defensively (but not perfect by any stretch) and excellent offensively.

tl;dr
Leafs say no.

Hey man, I'm a Leafs fan and agreed 100%, I'm just trying to help Ottawa, I think a 1 for 1 is a better trade, but the non-Leaf fans would say I'm nuts even though we both know Jake is a top 10 LD in the League, but Ceci has at least another year of control vs Jake who will leave on July 1. this picks are for the control and for the record, if Dubas got Ceci, he would fix him. I think Reilly would enjoy playing with him too, anyway, you are right but maybe the Leafs feel charitable to the lowly sens.
Aug. 26, 2018 at 1:09 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: burla13
Hey man, I'm a Leafs fan and agreed 100%, I'm just trying to help Ottawa, I think a 1 for 1 is a better trade, but the non-Leaf fans would say I'm nuts even though we both know Jake is a top 10 LD in the League, but Ceci has at least another year of control vs Jake who will leave on July 1. this picks are for the control and for the record, if Dubas got Ceci, he would fix him. I think Reilly would enjoy playing with him too, anyway, you are right but maybe the Leafs feel charitable to the lowly sens.

As I said, at best Ceci is worth a 3rd, maybe. The leafs might give up Neilsen and a 4th if you asked nicely tho. Ceci for Gardiner one for one would get Dubas fired, and rightly so.
Aug. 26, 2018 at 1:34 a.m.
Burla
As I said, at best Ceci is worth a 3rd, maybe. The leafs might give up Neilsen and a 4th if you asked nicely tho. Ceci for Gardiner one for one would get Dubas fired, and rightly so.

What do you think they do with Jake, try and win a cup and let him walk, or do you see maybe a Myers Gardnier swap, because that just makes sense to me from a positional need on both sides or is the Top pair Reilly-Gardnier and we just chuckle as they both carve opponents with those beautiful stretch passes.
Aug. 26, 2018 at 1:46 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
What do you think they do with Jake, try and win a cup and let him walk, or do you see maybe a Myers Gardnier swap, because that just makes sense to me from a positional need on both sides or is the Top pair Reilly-Gardnier and we just chuckle as they both carve opponents with those beautiful stretch passes.

Leave it. The D will sort itself out. Let me elaborate:
Rielly is a stud
Gardiner is good
Dermott is a potential top 2 dman, guaranteed top 4/#3 guy that can play both left and right.
Zaitzev will bounce back. He got sick and never recovered. He was fine in early season.
Carrick, Oz, and holl will be fine as extra guys, Oz could even make the full jump and be Rielly's partner.
Carrick *could* become a #4 guy / 2nd pairing RD. I think if like him on the 3rd pair, and that is likely where he stays, but maybe he breaks out.

Keep Gardiner at deadline like we did with JVR, Try and re-sign him for like 4.75 - 5 for 7 or 8 (term for cap trade off), if he walks, fair enough.
19-20 lines could be:
Rielly - Oz (Oz could really be something)
Dermott - Zaitzev
Borgman/someone - Liljegren

If Oz doesn't work out:

Rielly - Zaitzev
Dermott - Carrick
Borgman - Liljegren
Holl

Or even:
Rielly - Dermott
Borgman - Zaitzev
Rosen - Carrick
Holl.

And all of that assuming Gardiner leaves. Convince Gardiner to stay at a discount and you can move Dermott to the right or even Rielly and really have a solid D core. Gardiner - Rielly was statistically one of the best D-pairs in the game, Rielly - Dermott could be great, and hell maybe even Gardiner Dermott could be good.
burla13 liked this.
Aug. 26, 2018 at 1:52 a.m.
Burla
Leave it. The D will sort itself out. Let me elaborate:
Rielly is a stud
Gardiner is good
Dermott is a potential top 2 dman, guaranteed top 4/#3 guy that can play both left and right.
Zaitzev will bounce back. He got sick and never recovered. He was fine in early season.
Carrick, Oz, and holl will be fine as extra guys, Oz could even make the full jump and be Rielly's partner.
Carrick *could* become a #4 guy / 2nd pairing RD. I think if like him on the 3rd pair, and that is likely where he stays, but maybe he breaks out.

Keep Gardiner at deadline like we did with JVR, Try and re-sign him for like 4.75 - 5 for 7 or 8 (term for cap trade off), if he walks, fair enough.
19-20 lines could be:
Rielly - Oz (Oz could really be something)
Dermott - Zaitzev
Borgman/someone - Liljegren

If Oz doesn't work out:

Rielly - Zaitzev
Dermott - Carrick
Borgman - Liljegren
Holl

Or even:
Rielly - Dermott
Borgman - Zaitzev
Rosen - Carrick
Holl.

And all of that assuming Gardiner leaves. Convince Gardiner to stay at a discount and you can move Dermott to the right or even Rielly and really have a solid D core. Gardiner - Rielly was statistically one of the best D-pairs in the game, Rielly - Dermott could be great, and hell maybe even Gardiner Dermott could be good.

Yup yup yup. So you know I am on the exact some page, trade no one use the team. I think they have 10 dmen for a reason. People re high on Ozz if he works out it goes from the medias biggest fear, how how how to hilariously a position of strength.
Also most in not all Marlies analysts say that by game 30 in the AHL Liljegren looked like the guy that was said to be going 2nd overall, imagine that, without mono ge has greatly improved.
Asthma and mono have us Johnsson and Liljegren
The leafs cornered the market on sick swedes with high upside.
Aug. 26, 2018 at 1:55 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Yup yup yup. So you know I am on the exact some page, trade no one use the team. I think they have 10 dmen for a reason. People re high on Ozz if he works out it goes from the medias biggest fear, how how how to hilariously a position of strength.
Also most in not all Marlies analysts say that by game 30 in the AHL Liljegren looked like the guy that was said to be going 2nd overall, imagine that, without mono ge has greatly improved.
Asthma and mono have us Johnsson and Liljegren
The leafs cornered the market on sick swedes with high upside.

I'd just like to add that I think Zaitzev is best suited to be a 2nd pair guy (not that he cant play 1st like last year, just that he'd dominate on 2nd pair) and that should be the leafs goal in this. Hopefully Oz and or Liljegren will make that easy for us to do.
burla13 liked this.
Aug. 26, 2018 at 2:02 a.m.
Burla
I'd just like to add that I think Zaitzev is best suited to be a 2nd pair guy (not that he cant play 1st like last year, just that he'd dominate on 2nd pair) and that should be the leafs goal in this. Hopefully Oz and or Liljegren will make that easy for us to do.

Also, and I'm not trying to be optamistic, people hated Zaitsev lstbyear.
He had like 5 things go wrong. If you look at his world championship numbers and then find footage on YouTube, like he looks outstanding.
I wonder I'd Dubas shows that Babcock and there is just a constant effort to use him better.
Let's be honest as well, he will get less questions this year as well with that 91 in the locker room.
Aug. 26, 2018 at 7:04 a.m.
Jangle29
Gardiner is astronomically better than Ceci so I assume you made a mistake on who gives those picks in the trade
Aug. 26, 2018 at 10:26 a.m.
I'm a Sens fan, but these are terribly high returns for the Sens. Detroit isn't giving up anything for player on LTIR. Can't people ever learn the ramifications or lack of ramifications for a player of LTIR. Leafs don't need Ceci now or even long term. These trades for Karlsson are getting foolish. He isn't worth that much to team who might finish out the playoffs again anyway. God, Tampa has plenty of centres, certainly don't need the ordinary Pageau. Tampa doesn't the Sens to a middleman if they can trade Callaghan to the Rangers.
Aug. 26, 2018 at 10:47 a.m.
Quoting: orignalsix
I'm a Sens fan, but these are terribly high returns for the Sens. Detroit isn't giving up anything for player on LTIR. Can't people ever learn the ramifications or lack of ramifications for a player of LTIR. Leafs don't need Ceci now or even long term. These trades for Karlsson are getting foolish. He isn't worth that much to team who might finish out the playoffs again anyway. God, Tampa has plenty of centres, certainly don't need the ordinary Pageau. Tampa doesn't the Sens to a middleman if they can trade Callaghan to the Rangers.

DAL with EK makes the playoffs, the problem is so many player like Hanzal and Cala have NTC/NMC....they ait waiving to go to OTT.
Aug. 26, 2018 at 11:58 a.m.
Burla
Quoting: athrin
DAL with EK makes the playoffs, the problem is so many player like Hanzal and Cala have NTC/NMC....they ait waiving to go to OTT.

I think, simile to the Brassard trade with Vega last year, Ottawa should be a side bar. Callahan does jo waive to go to Ottawa, but if half his salary is in Ottawa and then he gets to go to NY I think it makes a lot of sense.
The Leafs used cap space to get assets. If the sens do the same for players on 1 and 2 year deals they could help many teams in the league and I think they could simply clean the roster out so after the expansion draft of 2020 Ottawa comes out with kids and prospects.

Hanzal probably has the sens on a no trade list but I think so get Miro they need to make it easier for Dallas to sign EK and Seguin.

I think if Dallas who has those big 3 forwards, all middle aged, need to have an LA kind of approach and go for it.
Hieskanen is a good player but he my not ever be EK of if he gets close to that Level Benn, Radulov and Bishop will all be old.
I do not know if the west has ever been as weak as it is, Winnipeg and Nashville are the only contenders, Dallas with a true number 1 D yo yo with that line could challange a team like Winnipeg, again I am not saying they would be victorious but 10 years of Karlsson, they could have a chance for a cup.

Benn 29 Radulov 32 Seguin 26 Bishop 31 EK 28

He fits perfectly in this mix, yes Hieskanen is going to be really good, but Erik already is.

Maybe Hieskanen reaches his level in 5 years
Benn 34 Radulov 37 Seguin 31 Bishop 36, it might be too late. The cap is going to clip Winnipeg, Dallases window is now and have a 2-time Norris winner rips that window open. I think it is a no brainer for both teams.
Aug. 26, 2018 at 5:15 p.m.
I think, simile to the Brassard trade with Vega last year, Ottawa should be a side bar. Callahan does jo waive to go to Ottawa, but if half his salary is in Ottawa and then he gets to go to NY I think it makes a lot of sense.
The Leafs used cap space to get assets. If the sens do the same for players on 1 and 2 year deals they could help many teams in the league and I think they could simply clean the roster out so after the expansion draft of 2020 Ottawa comes out with kids and prospects.

Hanzal probably has the sens on a no trade list but I think so get Miro they need to make it easier for Dallas to sign EK and Seguin.

I think if Dallas who has those big 3 forwards, all middle aged, need to have an LA kind of approach and go for it.
Hieskanen is a good player but he my not ever be EK of if he gets close to that Level Benn, Radulov and Bishop will all be old.
I do not know if the west has ever been as weak as it is, Winnipeg and Nashville are the only contenders, Dallas with a true number 1 D yo yo with that line could challange a team like Winnipeg, again I am not saying they would be victorious but 10 years of Karlsson, they could have a chance for a cup.

Benn 29 Radulov 32 Seguin 26 Bishop 31 EK 28

He fits perfectly in this mix, yes Hieskanen is going to be really good, but Erik already is.

Maybe Hieskanen reaches his level in 5 years
Benn 34 Radulov 37 Seguin 31 Bishop 36, it might be too late. The cap is going to clip Winnipeg, Dallases window is now and have a 2-time Norris winner rips that window open. I think it is a no brainer for both teams.

yes Dallas window in the next 5-6 years for certain, Spezza 7m+ cap comes off next year and Dal can buyout Hanzal if need be, they can both afford Duch, EK and Seguin next year. (i did a post on cap freindly about that before)
Aug. 26, 2018 at 5:19 p.m.
Burla
Quoting: athrin
yes Dallas window in the next 5-6 years for certain, Spezza 7m+ cap comes off next year and Dal can buyout Hanzal if need be, they can both afford Duch, EK and Seguin next year. (i did a post on cap freindly about that before)

True true, I think a buyout is possible, but I do not know if it is worth next years cap implication, I think the ask Arizona what pick it would take to rid them of Hanzal, he played there for a long time and they could actually be good this year, so if Zona wanted him for 2 years and Dallas tossed them a 2nd round pick, I think that gets it done.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll