SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Winnipeg Jets signed Blake Wheeler (5 Years / $8,250,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 5, 2018 at 12:33 p.m.
Quoting: drewjenks
You can still make back diving contracts....they are just more strict about it. The lowest years salary can't be less than 50% of highest years salary.

And the salary can't reduce by more than 30% (or something similar) from one year to the next.

So they could have given him an 8-Year deal like:

--------------
$52,000,000 TOTAL
$ 6,500,000 CAP-HIT

The two keys would be:

1) NOT INCLUDING a NTC for the final 3 years.
2) INCLUDING a verbal agreement along the lines of "if you're so bad we can't trade you in year 6, 7 or 8 .... than you have have to retire due to injury so we can LTIR you".

- Wheeler would say yes because he's guaranteed $10,750,000 more, and still gets paid a similar amount over the first five years.
- Winnipeg would say yes because his cap-hit is nearly $2,000,000 less, and they wouldn't lose sleep because any 37 year old will choose a fully paid LTIR retirement over the AHL (if it came to that).

Dunno why more teams don't structure deals like this (there's a reason the Leafs traded Clarkson for Horton's contract .... and it's because Horton is retired).

Thanks. I clarified that in a later comment. Yes, the 50% rule was something I was looking for a link for so thank you for detailing that. By Back Diving I was really referring to ones wherein the salary drops from say 10M in the first couple years to 1M in the last couple. A variation of a couple million is more like “sliding” than “diving” but it’s completely semantics so ??‍♀️. I also mentioned later on the Cap Recapture penalties that can be assessed should a player retire. Of course, in your scenarios an injury - or an “injury” (cough cough Hossa cough) - could partially circumvent that. LTIR isn’t quite as good as having the full cap space but it’s close enough.
Sep. 5, 2018 at 1:02 p.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: Willian_Cardoso
He's a 30 bottom six player, never reached 20 goals in his career, never played more than 71 games. Most of the seasons he just passed 60 games. Besides, he still has 3 more years left in his contract. Defensively, he's a good player indeed. But a +4M contract for more 3 seasons is too much for a 30 bottom six player. I'm sure that any team which accept to get him and his bad contract will ask for a good compensation or a good retaintion of his salary.

You're nuts. He's a 40 point player and is stellar defensively. He's an excellent third liner that can play on your second line when needed. His contract is very fair value for what he brings to the table.
LicMysak liked this.
Sep. 5, 2018 at 8:03 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: BoltsPoint21
Seriously? Good compensation or good retention? He's been scoring at a 40-50 pt rate for his entire NHL career. Not only that, he was one of the best play drivers last year with a CF% of 56.72 which led WPG and had a xGF% of 58.84. And, he had a positive impact on all but one of the teammates he played 100+ minutes with.

perrema88

Well, I'm still sure that no team will wanna trade for him, if any of those conditions were accepted by Winnipeg. I'll keep my thoughts, anyway. We'll see who is right about it...
Sep. 9, 2018 at 4:18 p.m.
J.L.
Well, I'm still sure that no team will wanna trade for him, if any of those conditions were accepted by Winnipeg. I'll keep my thoughts, anyway. We'll see who is right about it...

The point in trading Perreault is in that getting rid of his relatively high cap hit gives you more options in signing the pending RFAs, such as Laine and Connor. Whether it's a good trade or not the Jets' can't afford trading their future, which Perreault clearly is not. For example Carolina is in need of forwards and they have plenty of cap space, even after signing Aho.
Willian_Cardoso liked this.
Sep. 9, 2018 at 9:15 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: JonJon
The point in trading Perreault is in that getting rid of his relatively high cap hit gives you more options in signing the pending RFAs, such as Laine and Connor. Whether it's a good trade or not the Jets' can't afford trading their future, which Perreault clearly is not. For example Carolina is in need of forwards and they have plenty of cap space, even after signing Aho.

Yes, Jon. That's the point. They MUST trade Perrault or Little. Otherwise, they will be in cap trouble and probably will lose one of their wonderkids.
palhal liked this.
Sep. 10, 2018 at 8:36 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Yes, Jon. That's the point. They MUST trade Perrault or Little. Otherwise, they will be in cap trouble and probably will lose one of their wonderkids.

Your're correct, and the return isn't that important. If Carolina is the about the only team will accept him without any salary retention....you take that deal even if it's just a 4th rounder. Little, gee the Jets would have to give a sweetener to if it meant no retention.
Willian_Cardoso liked this.
Sep. 10, 2018 at 10:23 a.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
$6,000,000 would have been enough.
Sep. 10, 2018 at 10:01 p.m.
Quoting: rebecca
Presumably you mean longer than 5y (like taking the same money and spreading it out over 8-10y with just 1/2M in the final 3/4y)? These back diving contracts are no longer allowed (and haven’t been for 5y since the last CBA was signed. There is a limit on the % variation in salary year over year so if he signed for 8y (the max), then it would def cost more money than the 5y contract.

The rule you're referencing was enacted to prevent contracts like that of Ilya Kovalchuck. The Devils tried to circumvent the Cap by offering him a contract that would've paid him until he about 41 years old. The cap hit was to be minimized by paying him only $1M per season for 3 out of the last 5 years of the 13 year deal. The league caught on to this charade and punished the Devils w/ loss of draft picks and a recapture penalty. As you said, the new/current CBA does not allow contracts in excess of 8 years for players who sign an extension w/ their current team. Any attempt to circumvent the rules of the CBA will not be validated by the league. Cheveldayoff is a pretty smart guy-if there was a way to mitigate Wheeler's Cap hit I'm sure he'd have thought of it.
rebecca liked this.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 3:03 p.m.
My hones opinion for the Wheeler deal is that we might be over paying him by about $500,000, but I'm ok with his AAV up front for right now. After three years of this contract, however, I'll reconsider the AAV as good or bad by the team's overall performances and results. I think the bottom line is that Perrault could see him traded to the Habs because his name implies he "fits the culture" in Montreal. Trouba can get traded to Detroit and play for his hometown hockey club, and $9M in cap space is granted for signing Laine alone. The next two contracts that might need attention for better returns would be Little and Ehlers. I like Little as a 3rd line Centerman, but I don't like his AAV to play that role... Ehlers could keep his AAV if he keeps up his progression in production and starts making an impact in the playoffs.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit