Forums/Armchair-GM

EK 3-way Trade (COL/OTT)

Created by: tp47
Team: 2018-19 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 4, 2018
Published: Sep. 5, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
EDM gets a true #1 RHD/generational talent in EK, and a viable defensive depth option in Nemeth (1-yr contract fits Sekera's injury). The money from Nurse/Draisaitl would cover an EK contract.

COL gets an elite 2nd center to fill the gap behind MacKinnon.

OTT recovers their 1st round pick, gets an NHL-ready prospect in Kamenev, a solid defenseman in Nurse, and a 2nd round pick.

*I don't know EDM's lines/upcoming prospects, so don't get worked up about them. Maybe with the remaining cap space, EDM could try to convince Nash or someone else to come out on a 1-year deal.

**I'm assuming Bouchard will only get 9 games this year, so I didn't include him.
Trades
EDM
  1. Kamenev, Vladislav
  2. Nemeth, Patrik
  3. 2019 1st round pick (OTT)
  4. 2019 3rd round pick (OTT)
EDM
  1. Karlsson, Erik
Additional Details:
EK re-signs at 8x11M.
OTT
  1. Kamenev, Vladislav
  2. 2019 1st round pick (OTT)
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
RFA rights to Nurse.
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$70,665,331$0$2,730,000$8,834,669
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 8
$800,000$800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,950,000$1,950,000
RW
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
RW
RFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 5
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,166,666$4,166,666
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 3
$1,900,000$1,900,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 5, 2018 at 4:25 p.m.
Bcarlo25
this junk with colorado trading that pick needs to stop. Ottawa gives up a year of Karlsson and gets the most valuable draft pick in the league, Klefbom, and more? This is bananas. Include Mark Stone to Colorado and Duchene and a first rounder next year to edmonton (from ottawa) and maybe the other two teams think about picking up the phone. They still say no.
Sep. 5, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.
Quoting: Bcarlo25
this junk with colorado trading that pick needs to stop. Ottawa gives up a year of Karlsson and gets the most valuable draft pick in the league, Klefbom, and more? This is bananas. Include Mark Stone to Colorado and Duchene and a first rounder next year to edmonton (from ottawa) and maybe the other two teams think about picking up the phone. They still say no.

1. Nurse going to OTT here, not Klefbom.
2. There's no guarantee OTT's pick will be the 1st overall, even IF they finish last. COL fans should know this better than anyone - when COL was by far the worst team 2 seasons back and landed 4th overall. On the other hand, Draisaitl has already proven he's an elite player and his age/contract fit well with COL. I agree that OTT is looking like trash for this year, but their pick could still end up dropping to 5-10 range.
athrin liked this.
Sep. 5, 2018 at 5:11 p.m.
Quoting: tp47
2. There's no guarantee OTT's pick will be the 1st overall, even IF they finish last. COL fans should know this better than anyone - when COL was by far the worst team 2 seasons back and landed 4th overall. On the other hand, Draisaitl has already proven he's an elite player and his age/contract fit well with COL. I agree that OTT is looking like trash for this year, but their pick could still end up dropping to 5-10 range.

what these know nothings do not seem to understand is that finishing last does not guarantee 1st overall, ask Buffalo that on the McDavid draft year, OTT has 9 UFAs next year ALL playing for contract, whether it be with OTT or another team so they will be playing the best they can and none of the big three have ruled out staying with OTT, i think they want a guarantee from Mr. Cheepo that he will spend to build a contender. And it is no guarantee that Hughes will pan out, just see Daigle, Yakupov and oh so many others who didnt make it after being selected 1-5. Trading a 18.5% chance for a 90 point player NOW is a no brainer....especially when he is only 22 and on a 8 year contract.
Sep. 5, 2018 at 5:14 p.m.
Bcarlo25

notice, i did not say the first overall pick. I said the most valuable pick in the NHL. THat is what Ottawas current first round draft choice is, as of today.
CD282 liked this.
Sep. 6, 2018 at 12:21 p.m.
notice, i did not say the first overall pick. I said the most valuable pick in the NHL. THat is what Ottawas current first round draft choice is, as of today.

Ottawa gives up Karlsson, who will leave next year anyway and get back 1st 2nd kamenev and nurse, which is more then they are getting now, they say yes get better and younger..
Avs give up a possible lottery pick, guy they will lose next year in FA, and a prospect who has 1 nhl game, for a guy who's young fast and a 70+ point guy plus , they say yes
EDM gets "best" dman in league to play with McDavid, loses expensive centre and young dman... I think its questionable but they do it to get karlsson
Sep. 6, 2018 at 12:23 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: JeffW
Ottawa gives up Karlsson, who will leave next year anyway and get back 1st 2nd kamenev and nurse, which is more then they are getting now, they say yes get better and younger..
Avs give up a possible lottery pick, guy they will lose next year in FA, and a prospect who has 1 nhl game, for a guy who's young fast and a 70+ point guy plus , they say yes
EDM gets "best" dman in league to play with McDavid, loses expensive centre and young dman... I think its questionable but they do it to get karlsson

no, colorado laughs and says "thanks for the pick," and hangs up.
Sep. 6, 2018 at 1:10 p.m.
no, colorado laughs and says "thanks for the pick," and hangs up.

In my opinion colorado says yes please and hangs up... now they can try and win now while all their guys are young, cheap and controllable instead of waiting for a possible top 4 to develop..
Sep. 6, 2018 at 1:43 p.m.

Now that I'm looking at the trade again I say they do pull the trigger but only if kamenev isnt part of the deal... maybe a different prospect like beaduin or O'Connor or Greer
Sep. 6, 2018 at 3:10 p.m.
Now that I'm looking at the trade again I say they do pull the trigger but only if kamenev isnt part of the deal... maybe a different prospect like beaduin or O'Connor or Greer

I don't know if you could sell any of those guys (Beauduin, O'Connor, Greer) as high enough ceilings for OTT to be interested. I think it would be more along the lines of Kamenev/Compher.

I think COL would do it because there's still a lot of uncertainty with COL's 2C slot. I would love to say that Jost or Kerfoot are capable of handling it, but I don't really believe that and Draisaitl is a proven upgrade. It would also be great to say COL would get Jack Hughes, but that's obviously not guaranteed. So if COL drops to 5-10 with OTT's pick, will that player be ready in the next couple years? Vs. picking up Draisaitl, who is still only 22 years old. With Draisaitl, you have a chance to take advantage of MacKinnon's steal of a contract for the next 5 seasons without giving up a youth movement.

I know trades should be evaluated separately, but here would be the end results for COL (if Kamenev is traded):
Traded away: Duchene, Nemeth
Received: Draisaitl, Girard, Annunen, Zhuravlyov, Bowers
Sep. 6, 2018 at 3:17 p.m.

I agree with all this. I think EDM would be the biggest question mark - would they want to give up Draisaitl? How much do they value Karlsson? I'm assuming that EK agrees to re-sign here.
I think OTT agrees to trade if getting their pick back motivates them to embrace a rebuild and move Stone (and maybe Duchene/Anderson/others).
Sep. 6, 2018 at 3:30 p.m.
I don't know if you could sell any of those guys (Beauduin, O'Connor, Greer) as high enough ceilings for OTT to be interested. I think it would be more along the lines of Kamenev/Compher.

I think COL would do it because there's still a lot of uncertainty with COL's 2C slot. I would love to say that Jost or Kerfoot are capable of handling it, but I don't really believe that and Draisaitl is a proven upgrade. It would also be great to say COL would get Jack Hughes, but that's obviously not guaranteed. So if COL drops to 5-10 with OTT's pick, will that player be ready in the next couple years? Vs. picking up Draisaitl, who is still only 22 years old. With Draisaitl, you have a chance to take advantage of MacKinnon's steal of a contract for the next 5 seasons without giving up a youth movement.

I know trades should be evaluated separately, but here would be the end results for COL (if Kamenev is traded):
Traded away: Duchene, Nemeth
Received: Draisaitl, Girard, Annunen, Zhuravlyov, Bowers

I agree with everything you said, I think I'm just being greedy because I think kamenev is ready to help out the team now.. remember that Van and Mtl are going to be **** this year also, and I just read that Nurse wants over 4 mill this year that's all they have in space so he said he wont go to camp without a deal, maybe this trade makes even more sense now
tp47 liked this.
Sep. 6, 2018 at 3:45 p.m.
I agree with everything you said, I think I'm just being greedy because I think kamenev is ready to help out the team now.. remember that Van and Mtl are going to be **** this year also, and I just read that Nurse wants over 4 mill this year that's all they have in space so he said he wont go to camp without a deal, maybe this trade makes even more sense now

I would throw Detroit into the mix of being bad too. I believe EDM will actually be okay on cap space this year, assuming that Sekera is going on LTIR. I'm guessing Nurse will be around $4M - Hanifin is the most recent comparable (although a better player), and he got $5M.

I agree that Kamenev is ready to help now, probably as a 2nd-4th winger or a 4th center. The problem is that COL has too many of those guys floating in that category (Jost, Kerfoot, Compher, Kamenev, Soderberg, Bowers?). A Draisaitl addition lets those guys slot into roles they're better slated for, without giving up any major current pieces.
Sep. 6, 2018 at 4:27 p.m.
Even Peter Chiarelli would laugh and hang up on this proposal. Two young emerging talents under team control for up to 7 more years for 1-year of Karlsson?? What a joke.
Sep. 6, 2018 at 4:32 p.m.
Quoting: CD282
Even Peter Chiarelli would laugh and hang up on this proposal. Two young emerging talents under team control for up to 7 more years for 1-year of Karlsson?? What a joke.

As mentioned in the trade, this post assumes that EK verbally agrees to an 8-year extension before the trade. This would be a horrendous trade without that guarantee, and no team should even come close to this value without it. Even with it, the trade would depend on EDM's value of Draisaitl vs. finally having a top defenseman as their #1 RHD.
Sep. 6, 2018 at 4:40 p.m.
I would throw Detroit into the mix of being bad too. I believe EDM will actually be okay on cap space this year, assuming that Sekera is going on LTIR. I'm guessing Nurse will be around $4M - Hanifin is the most recent comparable (although a better player), and he got $5M.

I agree that Kamenev is ready to help now, probably as a 2nd-4th winger or a 4th center. The problem is that COL has too many of those guys floating in that category (Jost, Kerfoot, Compher, Kamenev, Soderberg, Bowers?). A Draisaitl addition lets those guys slot into roles they're better slated for, without giving up any major current pieces.

I agree with what you're saying about draisaitl, but there is some stipulation that says they have to be under the cap by a certain point and sekera wont be on the LTIR until after that time... as per the article I read
Sep. 6, 2018 at 4:55 p.m.
As mentioned in the trade, this post assumes that EK verbally agrees to an 8-year extension before the trade. This would be a horrendous trade without that guarantee, and no team should even come close to this value without it. Even with it, the trade would depend on EDM's value of Draisaitl vs. finally having a top defenseman as their #1 RHD.

- A verbal agreement is NOT a guarantee
- Edmonton cannot sign Karlsson to an extension until January according to the CBA
- there's no guarantee that Karlsson wants to sign an extension with Edmonton
- your theoretical extension covers from 29 to 36, I can guarantee that he'll decline during that period
- in fact he may be in decline now due to previous injuries, several observers have noted that he seems to have "lost a step"
- his point totals peaked 3 years ago and have declined since
- Draisaitl's contract covers until the age of 30, his best years
- Draisaitl is already outproducing Karlsson and has for 2 years now
- Edmonton's perennial need for RHD is less desperate now, Larsson is top-4 while Bouchard, Bear and Berglund all have top-4 ceilings (Bouchard has #1 potential) - they're all just 1-year away and maybe less
- Edmonton's Cup window is just opening and will be open for another 15 years, trading core players who fit that timeline for an aging superstar who does not makes no sense
- I haven't even touched Nurse yet either - even a Draisaitl-for-Karlsson straight trade doesn't make a lot of sense for the Oilers for the reasons outlined above
- I think you added a high pick too
Sep. 6, 2018 at 5:03 p.m.
I agree with what you're saying about draisaitl, but there is some stipulation that says they have to be under the cap by a certain point and sekera wont be on the LTIR until after that time... as per the article I read

LTIR can be used during training camp - it says so right here on this website. The 10% off-season overage cushion is the only thing that goes away on day 1 of regular season, all teams have to be cap compliant at that time, LTIR included. Thus Oilers have about $9.5M in current cap space (less the potential bonus money) for day 1 of regular season.
tp47 liked this.
Sep. 6, 2018 at 5:04 p.m.
LOL
Sep. 6, 2018 at 5:12 p.m.
Quoting: CD282
- A verbal agreement is NOT a guarantee
- Edmonton cannot sign Karlsson to an extension until January according to the CBA
- there's no guarantee that Karlsson wants to sign an extension with Edmonton
- your theoretical extension covers from 29 to 36, I can guarantee that he'll decline during that period
- in fact he may be in decline now due to previous injuries, several observers have noted that he seems to have "lost a step"
- his point totals peaked 3 years ago and have declined since
- Draisaitl's contract covers until the age of 30, his best years
- Draisaitl is already outproducing Karlsson and has for 2 years now
- Edmonton's perennial need for RHD is less desperate now, Larsson is top-4 while Bouchard, Bear and Berglund all have top-4 ceilings (Bouchard has #1 potential) - they're all just 1-year away and maybe less
- Edmonton's Cup window is just opening and will be open for another 15 years, trading core players who fit that timeline for an aging superstar who does not makes no sense
- I haven't even touched Nurse yet either - even a Draisaitl-for-Karlsson straight trade doesn't make a lot of sense for the Oilers for the reasons outlined above
- I think you added a high pick too

Verbal agreements aren't unheard of. Look at OEL:
http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/nhl-trade-rumors-2018-oliver-ekman-larsson-coyotes-reach-verbal-agreement-on-contract-report-says/v0oc83wc8e41evlsyzwdgset

The decline is definitely possible, and probably likely at the end of his contract. I don't believe he's already declining though. The guy missed the start of the season due to injury, lost his son in childbirth, was on an atrocious team, and still put up 62 pts in 71 games. To say that a top forward is outpacing a top defenseman in points isn't shocking...

I traded EDM's 2nd rounder for OTT's 3rd. So probably a 10-20 spot drop.

At the end of it, I agree that this is a stretch for EDM. It probably makes more sense to hold Draisaitl/Nurse and wait a couple years for the mentioned RHD prospects to develop. But EDM's GM also traded Hall for Larsson, so who knows...
Sep. 6, 2018 at 5:27 p.m.
Karlsson's decline as a player over the next 9 years is not "possible", not "probable", but GUARANTEED.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 6:09 p.m.
Bcarlo25
remember when people thought karlsson would net them this?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll