SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Nylander...what is the term of his next contract

Term of Nylander contract
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 10, 2018 at 9:04 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
It's time to get off the pot. My prediction has always been short term (Nylander's wish).
1 year at 5.5m is my choice......maybe two years.
Sep. 14, 2018 at 2:36 p.m.
There's a forum on this site??! I learn so9new every day.

I was thinking tha Willy would come it a 6.5 over 6. Pretty much the pasta deal. But the longer this goes on the more I think you could be right, Pal. With the little bit that Dubas has said to the press it sounds very much like he wants Nylander as a leaf long term. So, it could be that Willy is holding out for a bridge and betting on a bigger co tract the next time round. And if that's the case, is it possible that he signs a bridge, and becomes a trade chip??
Sep. 14, 2018 at 3:16 p.m.
Edited Sep. 16, 2018 at 2:17 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
It's time to get off the pot. My prediction has always been short term (Nylander's wish).

Depends on few factors again

1) Nylander's agent money greed
2) Nylander's money greed
3) or if Nylander is playing for the heart and not for money ( which was nicely shown in Tavares case ) as we say it here in my country

My simulations ( hopes ) have him 6y x 6,8M, based on comparables with same year drafties and their production Pasternak, Ehlers and Dreisaitl ( where last one is defenitelly an overpay )
Sep. 17, 2018 at 2:40 p.m.
Banned

You are literally the only person in the entire world who keeps saying Nylander wants a short term deal. He's openly said he wants long term. All experts have repeated it. Dubas says both sides want the same thing. And his teammates have also shared the same sentiment.

A short term deal isn't on the table. They are arguing over the finer points of 6-8 year deal. My hope is 8x7mill.
Sep. 17, 2018 at 2:41 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Laudan
Depends on few factors again

1) Nylander's agent money greed
2) Nylander's money greed
3) or if Nylander is playing for the heart and not for money ( which was nicely shown in Tavares case ) as we say it here in my country

My simulations ( hopes ) have him 6y x 6,8M, based on comparables with same year drafties and their production Pasternak, Ehlers and Dreisaitl ( where last one is defenitelly an overpay )

8 years at 7 million would be utterly sick! He'll go on to score at or above a point a game over the next number of seasons and everyone will be saying, what a contract he signed.
Sep. 17, 2018 at 3:31 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: LoganOllivier
You are literally the only person in the entire world who keeps saying Nylander wants a short term deal. He's openly said he wants long term. All experts have repeated it. Dubas says both sides want the same thing. And his teammates have also shared the same sentiment.

A short term deal isn't on the table. They are arguing over the finer points of 6-8 year deal. My hope is 8x7mill.

It seem obvious (although) we'll see eventually that a long term deal isn't going happen, due to Nylander's contract request. What other alternatives is there to both sides than a shorter deal? Nylander should have known that the Leafs aren't going to make him a top 5 paid RWer in the league right now. The only way to achieve to the is to sign a short term deal, and hoping for greater returns later.

Fans are sure naive if they believe anything that players, agents or team executives say publicly about contract negotiations. Almost always it's same stuff,,,,"I want to stay with this team long term. I love the city and its fans" and management says, "We love Player Joe Doe, we hope he is long term member of the team" Very rarely does any side say they "want out" and only want a short term deal. Even Trouba said last summer he wanted to stay. Look no further than Tavares and what he said, "I want to stay an Islander" almost till the end.

Again if they can't agree on the money for a long term deal...and they been discussing for two months, there is virtually no alternative to both parties than to sign a short term deal. It takes two parties to sign the deal, despite the most logical argument from CapFriendly ACGMs saying a about 7m X 8 years is "historically" fair.
Sep. 17, 2018 at 3:40 p.m.

Its lobbying and negotiation...and you need to be on the record with fans to still care for you...ofc he will say he wants long term....but he also wants as much money as he can get...
palhal liked this.
Sep. 17, 2018 at 3:41 p.m.
8 years at 7 million would be utterly sick! He'll go on to score at or above a point a game over the next number of seasons and everyone will be saying, what a contract he signed.

where did i say 8y x 7M ?

He can also get injured....so many options and variables to keep in mind, right ?
Sep. 17, 2018 at 3:43 p.m.
Banned
It seem obvious (although) we'll see eventually that a long term deal isn't going happen, due to Nylander's contract request. What other alternatives is there to both sides than a shorter deal? Nylander should have known that the Leafs aren't going to make him a top 5 paid RWer in the league right now. The only way to achieve to the is to sign a short term deal, and hoping for greater returns later.

Fans are sure naive if they believe anything that players, agents or team executives say publicly about contract negotiations. Almost always it's same stuff,,,,"I want to stay with this team long term. I love the city and its fans" and management says, "We love Player Joe Doe, we hope he is long term member of the team" Very rarely does any side say they "want out" and only want a short term deal. Even Trouba said last summer he wanted to stay. Look no further than Tavares and what he said, "I want to stay an Islander" almost till the end.

Again if they can't agree on the money for a long term deal...and they been discussing for two months, there is virtually no alternative to both parties than to sign a short term deal. It takes two parties to sign the deal, despite the most logical argument from CapFriendly ACGMs saying a about 7m X 8 years is "historically" fair.

Tavares is the first star player to leave his team as a free agent. He did that for 2 reasons, #1 TO is home #2 The Islanders have been a **** show for his entire career. He left because it was the right thing to do for him. Nylander I don't think just wants money, I think he wants to win and he wants to be comfortable. All of that can happen in TO.

There is no reason to believe anything other than that. You are manufacturing a belief based on nothing but speculation and conjecture. Looking at this logically, both sides have openly said they want the same thing. Dubas has said he wants a contract that won't hurt the team so he has a range that he knows he'll be able to work with. Now its their job to find the middle ground that both teams are happy with.

Here's the thing with Nylander's case though. If he holds out much longer, he risks losing his spot in the lineup. What if Ennis finds awesome chemistry with Matthews or Tavares? What if Bracco impresses, or Grundstrom or Kapanen or Johnsson? What if Babcock decides "player X" is working too hard not to get an opportunity and since nylander is sitting, lets give him that spot and he kills it?

Nylander can't really afford to wait too long, the team is way too deep and he'll lose all his negotiating power. If he wants a short term deal under 5 million, it would have been signed by now. I doubt management would cause a hold out on that, since if he plays well enough to earn a huge 3rd contract, they could trade him for a huge return.

There is literally no evidence to support your belief.
Sep. 17, 2018 at 3:44 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Laudan
where did i say 8y x 7M ?

He can also get injured....so many options and variables to keep in mind, right ?

That is the contract I am hoping for. I wasn't quoting you. Sorry for the confusion.
Sep. 17, 2018 at 3:45 p.m.
That is the contract I am hoping for. I wasn't quoting you. Sorry for the confusion.

kk...my bad then
Sep. 17, 2018 at 3:54 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Tavares is the first star player to leave his team as a free agent. He did that for 2 reasons, #1 TO is home #2 The Islanders have been a **** show for his entire career. He left because it was the right thing to do for him. Nylander I don't think just wants money, I think he wants to win and he wants to be comfortable. All of that can happen in TO.

There is no reason to believe anything other than that. You are manufacturing a belief based on nothing but speculation and conjecture. Looking at this logically, both sides have openly said they want the same thing. Dubas has said he wants a contract that won't hurt the team so he has a range that he knows he'll be able to work with. Now its their job to find the middle ground that both teams are happy with.

Here's the thing with Nylander's case though. If he holds out much longer, he risks losing his spot in the lineup. What if Ennis finds awesome chemistry with Matthews or Tavares? What if Bracco impresses, or Grundstrom or Kapanen or Johnsson? What if Babcock decides "player X" is working too hard not to get an opportunity and since nylander is sitting, lets give him that spot and he kills it?

Nylander can't really afford to wait too long, the team is way too deep and he'll lose all his negotiating power. If he wants a short term deal under 5 million, it would have been signed by now. I doubt management would cause a hold out on that, since if he plays well enough to earn a huge 3rd contract, they could trade him for a huge return.

There is literally no evidence to support your belief.

But there is a belief and fact. The fact that Nylander hasn't signed. Glad you mentioned Tavares. He went on TV, interviews, public records saying "he wanted to stay an Islander." We know how that turned out eventually. Not that i blame any UFA or RFA for exercising his contractal rights. . I certainly am correct that what players, agents, and executives say publicly may not be true and certainly other events change which can change their minds. Any one who believes all these public statement is foolish and really doesn't look at history.
Sep. 17, 2018 at 8:15 p.m.
Banned
But there is a belief and fact. The fact that Nylander hasn't signed. Glad you mentioned Tavares. He went on TV, interviews, public records saying "he wanted to stay an Islander." We know how that turned out eventually. Not that i blame any UFA or RFA for exercising his contractal rights. . I certainly am correct that what players, agents, and executives say publicly may not be true and certainly other events change which can change their minds. Any one who believes all these public statement is foolish and really doesn't look at history.

If you eliminate the impossible, everything remains, however unlikely, must be the truth. In this case what we do know is that both sides have said they want to make this long term. There is nothing pointing to anything other than that. Everything is else is speculation based on 1 fact, Nylander hasn't signed a contract. Until information comes saying one of the sides wants otherwise, also reliable information which is basically TSN and the Athletic these days, then anything that deviates from that is made up and internet rumours. That is the reality of this situation, I for one don't want to put any energy into that for fear that it comes true. LOL
Sep. 17, 2018 at 11:37 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
If you eliminate the impossible, everything remains, however unlikely, must be the truth. In this case what we do know is that both sides have said they want to make this long term. There is nothing pointing to anything other than that. Everything is else is speculation based on 1 fact, Nylander hasn't signed a contract. Until information comes saying one of the sides wants otherwise, also reliable information which is basically TSN and the Athletic these days, then anything that deviates from that is made up and internet rumours. That is the reality of this situation, I for one don't want to put any energy into that for fear that it comes true. LOL

What's the fear? That Nylander signs a shorter term deal. Gee. I have come up my own conclusion that a bridge is the most likely solution. You're the one who is believing the media..and gossip the Nylander and the Leafs HaS to sign a long term deal. LOL. Its not always true. It just sounds homer optimism that Nylander HAS to sign a long term. Sorry if goes against you're beliefs that I don't necessary believe the public negotiations that is put out by the player, agents and the Leafs executives. TSN and The Atlantic reported what the the Leafs and Nylander's camp wanted to put out for public consumption, certainly it doesn't necessarily have any basis for fact in actual negotiations that are taken place. I just gave me opinion and what I thought will happen. You actually think you know the reality is? C'mon. You don't, but if want to believe the media as being truly factual, good for you.
Sep. 18, 2018 at 10:01 a.m.
Banned
What's the fear? That Nylander signs a shorter term deal. Gee. I have come up my own conclusion that a bridge is the most likely solution. You're the one who is believing the media..and gossip the Nylander and the Leafs HaS to sign a long term deal. LOL. Its not always true. It just sounds homer optimism that Nylander HAS to sign a long term. Sorry if goes against you're beliefs that I don't necessary believe the public negotiations that is put out by the player, agents and the Leafs executives. TSN and The Atlantic reported what the the Leafs and Nylander's camp wanted to put out for public consumption, certainly it doesn't necessarily have any basis for fact in actual negotiations that are taken place. I just gave me opinion and what I thought will happen. You actually think you know the reality is? C'mon. You don't, but if want to believe the media as being truly factual, good for you.

When Nylander and the team say they both want a long term deal, that isn't gossip. Some dude sitting at his computer saying I am 100% positive Nylander wants a short term deal with zero srouces but his own feelings, that is the definition of gossip.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit