SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Vegas Golden Knights signed Max Pacioretty (4 Years / $7,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 10, 2018 at 7:07 p.m.
Quoting: CD282
You did the numbers without calculating federal tax, you literally said " In NV it's still $7 million". Your whole post was about after tax income.

The numbers work out like this:

$6M in LA = $2.964M net
$7M in NV = $4.444M net
Difference = $1.48M

Why would I talk about federal tax when comparing state income tax? I said nearly two million you say $1.48 million... at the end of the day it's still a pretty big difference.
Sep. 10, 2018 at 7:45 p.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N
Why would I talk about federal tax when comparing state income tax? I said nearly two million you say $1.48 million... at the end of the day it's still a pretty big difference.

Your net numbers were WAY off. I don't want readers to be misinformed.
Sep. 10, 2018 at 7:55 p.m.
Quoting: CD282
Your net numbers were WAY off. I don't want readers to be misinformed.

Lol well considering no where did I say they were net numbers and said it was comparing state income tax....I'm really not follow.

Seems like you just want to come off as the smartest person in the room lol. Good luck with that. Feel free to reply, but dont expect a response back... honestly don't even expect I'll see it since your going in the ignore list lol
Hockeyplayer1 liked this.
Sep. 10, 2018 at 8:24 p.m.
Lol well considering no where did I say they were net numbers and said it was comparing state income tax....I'm really not follow.

Seems like you just want to come off as the smartest person in the room lol. Good luck with that. Feel free to reply, but dont expect a response back... honestly don't even expect I'll see it since your going in the ignore list lol

"Net" means the same thing as "after tax" does. Here's what you wrote:

So $6 million in CA is around $5.2 after tax.

It is in fact $2.964M after tax.
Sep. 10, 2018 at 8:27 p.m.
Banned
No I'm saying they have no state income tax

I'm not sure that matters for players as much as people think. It's a contract, but none of us know the contract terms. They aren't "employees"
the money could go offshore to a shelf company, , that then "provides" the service at a set rate.

Honestly, when you are talking about players sitting on millions you never know what their lawyers draw up. People come up with creative ways to dodge taxes.
Sep. 10, 2018 at 9:44 p.m.
Quoting: NateElder12
deal probably doesn't move the needle for Seguin much if at all honestly. He's in a different category of player. Probably sets a market price for guys like Skinner or Eberle and maybe slightly for Simmonds. Panarin/Seguin would be a tier above.

Agreed. Seguin deserves $10M for 8 years. Tavares got $11M but that was an extraordinary circumstance, and he was already UFA. Simmonds should probably be valued higher than Skinner and Eberle based on his willingness to lead, his grit, determination, and overall presence on the ice and in the locker room. I'm thinking somewhere around that $6M AAV on a 5-6 year deal. Maybe higher if he puts up a big season offensively. Panarin is a true superstar in every sense of the word. He drives play the way that the elite players in the game do. I'm comparing him to guys like Hall, Kuznetsov, and Kucherov. He's gonna be looking for $9M+.
NateElder12 liked this.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 1:06 a.m.
Banned
It would be a lot more than $1 million less after taxes.

CA - 13.3% income tax
NV - 0% income tax

So $6 million in CA is around $5.2 after tax. In NV it's still $7 million. That's nearly a $2 million difference.

The tax capital of America lol
Sep. 11, 2018 at 11:24 a.m.
Let's go Pens!
Now the trade to get Pacioretty makes even more sense to Vegas. A recent expansion team can't think only in the present. Now, it's likely that they'll trade Eakin and Reaves (likely with half of his salary retaining or maybe buying his salary out) till the next offseason to make room in their cap to the salaries raises of Pacioretty and Fleury. Besides, they'll have to re-sign William Karlsson and Tuch. So, they'll need a cap relief after this season indeed.

The fact is McPhee is doing a great job till now. Vegas is the best expansion team in NHL history by far and that's thanks to him and Gallant as well.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 12:31 p.m.
Follow capfriendly
Guys, we have a tax calculator tool to determine all of that info:

https://www.capfriendly.com/post_tax_calculator
DoctorBreakfast liked this.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 1:30 p.m.
skates21
Quoting: NateElder12
typically but the aging curves are made based off of WAR/GAR regression though. If he's a positive player, like he is, replacement level takes longer to reach.

Hence the words typically and majority
Sep. 11, 2018 at 1:42 p.m.
Noah Phillips
i love it
Sep. 11, 2018 at 8:22 p.m.
GM67
Why can't more GM's do deals like these? One of the best contracts we've seen in recent years. Congratulations to both the team and the player.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 10:28 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I'll disagree with the "good signing" talk. Vegas has now handcuffed themselves for future big UFA signings, unless they jettison some players. Tuch, Theodore, Karlsson are RFAs that are to be resigned next year. Fleury gets his increase and maybe UFA Schmidt. There may not be enough cap room for another player. So while I can agree it's a fair to good signing, you've married yourself to Patches for five years. Was it necessary to sign Patches now? I'm not so sure.
Sep. 12, 2018 at 12:33 a.m.
Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan
FIRST, also good deal for a two way top 6 F that is a perennial 30G scorer and for a team looking to contend and show they're not a fluke

I believe this trade for Pacioretty and subsequent contract extension makes Vegas the team to beat in the Western Conference. Sure NSH and WPG might be stronger/deeper on paper, but they'll most likely play each other again in the second round and wear each other down. Vegas will be waiting for the survivor, well rested.
Sep. 12, 2018 at 5:58 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Quoting: Brian2016
I believe this trade for Pacioretty and subsequent contract extension makes Vegas the team to beat in the Western Conference. Sure NSH and WPG might be stronger/deeper on paper, but they'll most likely play each other again in the second round and wear each other down. Vegas will be waiting for the survivor, well rested.

No offense but thats disrespectful to SJS and CGY
Sep. 13, 2018 at 12:20 a.m.

It's just a prediction. Sure, SJS could definitely play in the West Final. CGY..I don't see it. They're goaltending doesn't measure up to SJS, or VGK and certainly not up to WPG or NSH standards. CGY also lacks offensive depth. Their 1st line is exceptional. Unfortunately, their bottom six is among the worst in the league, and their special teams are nothing to wrote home about either. They need everything to go right for them to make the playoffs. Right now, I rank CGY as the #5 team in the Pacific behind VGK, SJS, LAK, & ANA. EDM, ARZ, and VAN round out the bottom 3.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 10:18 a.m.
Below Market Value

It's disrespectful to suggest a team is the best in their conference? That's a horrible take.

Calgary hasn't proven that they can compete in the playoffs, let alone even make them. Sure they look good on paper, but hat hasn't done anything for them the last few years. And San Jose could compete, but we saw how well Vegas handled them last season. Plus Vegas is younger, faster, and improved their roster much more than San Jose.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 10:19 a.m.
Rangers 2023
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
It's disrespectful to suggest a team is the best in their conference? That's a horrible take.

Calgary hasn't proven that they can compete in the playoffs, let alone even make them. Sure they look good on paper, but hat hasn't done anything for them the last few years. And San Jose could compete, but we saw how well Vegas handled them last season. Plus Vegas is younger, faster, and improved their roster much more than San Jose.

But they lost something after last season that was critical for them, the element of suprise
Sep. 13, 2018 at 10:24 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: Brian2016

You’re sleeping on the Sharks. A healthy Joe Thornton, even at his age, makes a big difference. Pavelski and Burns should both bounce back, Evander Kane will be there for a full season, plus Logan Couture and Tomas Hertl are playoff beasts. And we’ve already seen Martin Jones steal games deep in the playoffs
Sep. 13, 2018 at 10:28 a.m.
You're all forgetting about the elite team that has Loui Eriksson, Jay Beagle and Erik Gudbranson...
Sep. 13, 2018 at 2:39 p.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
You’re sleeping on the Sharks. A healthy Joe Thornton, even at his age, makes a big difference. Pavelski and Burns should both bounce back, Evander Kane will be there for a full season, plus Logan Couture and Tomas Hertl are playoff beasts. And we’ve already seen Martin Jones steal games deep in the playoffs

It's hard to disagree w/ you on SJS. They're an elite hockey team, no question about it. If Thornton plays a whole season, look out. They're easily one of the 8-10 favorites to win the Cup this season. SJS has depth at every position and an elite #1 D in Burns. They don't have the top #1 C that teams like WPG, VGK, PIT, BOS, WASH & TBL have, but they role four lines better than just about all those teams. And, they have, in my opinion, the single most underrated player in the NHL: Marc Eduard Vlasic. He's one of, if not the best shutdown D's in the league.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit