SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(BOS / NYR) - Kampfer for McQuaid

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 11, 2018 at 10:35 a.m.
A trade between Boston Bruins and New York Rangers has been confirmed.
Trade Details
Boston Bruins Acquire:
Logo of the Boston Bruins
Steven Kampfer · $650,000$650,000$650,000
2019 4th round pick (NYR - #99 - Cade Webber)
2019 7th round pick (NYR - #192 - Jake Schmaltz) [Conditional]*
*Conditions: If McQuaid plays in at least 25 games in the 2018-19 season OR if the Rangers trade McQuaid at any point during the 2018-19 season, Bruins will also receive a 7th round pick in 2019

Result: Conditions were met. Bruins receive the 2019 7th round pick.
Sum: $650,000$650,000$650,000
Change: -$2,100,000
Change: -$2,100,000
Change: +$650,000
New York Rangers Acquire:
Logo of the New York Rangers
Adam McQuaid · $2,750,000$2,750,000$2,000,000
Sum: $2,750,000$2,750,000$2,000,000
Change: +$2,100,000
Change: +$2,100,000
Change: +$2,000,000
Sep. 11, 2018 at 10:37 a.m.
WentWughes
McQuaid will stand up for the youngin's that will be the NYR... They paid very cheap for him so it's a solid deal... meanwhile Boston doesn't really need him and they got 2 picks so it works out for both sides
bixyboii liked this.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 10:40 a.m.
Fair deal. Boston had too many D and gets some picks in return while freeing up cap space. McQuaid a good guy to have around a rebuilding franchise.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 10:48 a.m.
Probably the best return Boston could hope for McQuaid. Rangers add some toughness and a stay at home defender to guys like Pionk get adjusted and take pressure off him and Shattenkirk. Boston gets picks and cap space. Good trade.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 11:10 a.m.
Good deal for both sides. McQuaid is such a warrior and a guy that I'm going to miss. He's flat out a team guy and will give you everything he has every shift. He should get a tribute when he returns to Boston and I hope he does.
Patriot12992 and azjim66 liked this.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 11:25 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
I guess it's fair. NYR gets experience for pretty cheap, and McQuaid is a decent 3rd pairing d-man, but he's an extra d-man on the Bruins (with Chara, McAvoy, Krug, Carlo, Grzelcyk, Moore, and Miller all there, and one of those guys has to be scratched if everyone is healthy anyway).
Sep. 11, 2018 at 11:26 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
What's the condition on the 7th?
Sep. 11, 2018 at 12:11 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
What's the condition on the 7th?

Probably on Quaider resigning with NYR.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 1:51 p.m.
I don't understand this trade, after the loss to Tampa Cassidy acknowledged that our D was on the small side so we got smaller and alot softer, not to mention he will be missed in the room big time.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 2:00 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
I'll give the Bruins a slight edge, as McQuaid was probably gonna get pushed out of the lineup again. But on NYR, he's a good fit if Smith or Tony Dbag struggles.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 2:01 p.m.
Quoting: ajc
I don't understand this trade, after the loss to Tampa Cassidy acknowledged that our D was on the small side so we got smaller and alot softer, not to mention he will be missed in the room big time.

Size and toughness doesn't mean squat sitting upstairs and that's where he was destined to go. Quaider was the 8th d-man and honestly may have been lower. Moore can play LD/RD as can some of their prospects in Zbroil and Lauzon. Love McQuaid as a player and the guy is warrior, but he had no role in Boston.
rebecca liked this.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 2:14 p.m.
Personally I would rather K. Miller was the one, however, on the positive side I took in all three prospect games in Buffalo. Some observations: I don't think any of the kids are ready for prime time as 3rd. line centers my order Studnicka, Frederick and Karlsson. Lauzon was the most impressive dman followed by Clifton and Sherman. Vldar was great in net.
rebecca liked this.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 2:57 p.m.
Personally I would rather K. Miller was the one, however, on the positive side I took in all three prospect games in Buffalo. Some observations: I don't think any of the kids are ready for prime time as 3rd. line centers my order Studnicka, Frederick and Karlsson. Lauzon was the most impressive dman followed by Clifton and Sherman. Vldar was great in net.

Miller is a slightly smaller version of McQuaid (by 2 inches) with a more well rounded game. Miller in a 3rd pairing defensive minded role is capable of 13 to 18 points a year. McQuiad over the last 3 years is 4-10 points in a similar role. Miller is also cheaper and signed for another year. How does trading Miller make more sense?
rebecca liked this.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 3:06 p.m.
I think Quaider is a much better defender and much tougher(google his last 7 scraps). He doesn't cough the puck up and is awesome on the penalty kill. Points are not everything, all you have to do is look at Krugs stats 5 on 5. Take out the powerplay not nearly as impressive. 18th among defenseman and plus one over the last three years.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 3:12 p.m.
Person who just dislikes this trade the most is probably Anthony DeAngelo as he probably just lost his roster spot on the Rangers and will start the year with the Wolf Pack
rebecca liked this.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 3:22 p.m.
I think Quaider is a much better defender and much tougher(google his last 7 scraps). He doesn't cough the puck up and is awesome on the penalty kill. Points are not everything, all you have to do is look at Krugs stats 5 on 5. Take out the powerplay not nearly as impressive. 18th among defenseman and plus one over the last three years.

What does Krug have to do with anything? McQuaid was competing against McAvoy, Carlo and Miller for TOI. He wasn't beating out any of those guys. Miller brings what Quaider brings for less money and can give you more offensive production. Why would you pay a guy nearly $3 million to sit upstairs?
Sep. 11, 2018 at 3:53 p.m.
Edited Sep. 11, 2018 at 4:22 p.m.
I give the Bruins a slight edge just because of the Cap differential between Kampfer & McQuaid. It’s very likely Kampfer finds himself on waivers and playing Top 4 minutes down in Providence at the end of this month, if not then then at some point this year. With an $0.85M Cap Hit his salary can be completely buried.

The same was definitely not the case with McQuaid. Moreover, despite being a 7th or even 8th D-Man if all hands are healthy, it’s VERY unlikely the Bruins would have sent McQuaid down. One of the few pieces remaining from their Cup win (they’re down to just 5 players now, I believe), McQuaid was a well-loved and respected guy by fans and teammates and the morale hit by sending him down (and that over a $1M would still go against the Cap) would make sending him down to the P-Bruins undesirable at best. I’m sure they could talk about “leadership for the next generation of Bruins D” and what not but it would be a bad locker room move no matter what spin one put on it.

The mid round pick (which will be on the higher end of the round too) is nothing to sneeze at and that’s the real return. If Kampfer is playing for the Bruins (of Boston, not Providence) then something has gone pretty wrong.

No the most important benefit is the >$2M in cap Space freed up (assuming Kampfer goes down). This combined with existing space lets the Bruins back into the UFA game, and could potentially sign an impact middle-6 winger with the $5M+ they now have readily available. Who or where with what’s left will be the big challenge now (although this would free up space to sign some guy named Nash, assuming he doesn’t retire). But an impact winger is what the Bruins need to be able to remain with the elite in the Atlantic (and Florida has upped their game too) so this move makes that possible, financially at least. This financial flexibility to get a middle-6 winger wasn’t the case 24h ago and for this reason I say the Bruins were the winners here.
azjim66 liked this.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 3:59 p.m.
Edited Sep. 11, 2018 at 4:12 p.m.
Quoting: Clubkid75
Person who just dislikes this trade the most is probably Anthony DeAngelo as he probably just lost his roster spot on the Rangers and will start the year with the Wolf Pack

Possible, yes. Tho I foresee the Rags making several trades (esp with Spooner & Hayes) but also including a couple involving older D-Men (O’Gara, Claesson for sure when there are takers as well as Mark Staal if they can find any takers) in the coming months. Impress some more in the AHL and there will be a spot waiting for him come Feb/Mar if not sooner.

And yes I know that DeAngelo is a right shot and all those other are left shots but it won’t make a huge diff. An extra RHD isn’t the worst thing. McQuaid May only play 1/2 the games and give more games to DeAngelo anyways.

Maybe a Brendan Smith trade tho I think it’s even less likely than Staal. In either case at least 20% salary will have to be retained and other assets given up as part of a deal for either. Most likely is a D-for-D trade. Rags have depth on RHD whereas 80% of the Leafs has greater depth on the Left-Side. They may be able to get a team to take Brendan Smith and give them a serviceable Lefty in the interim.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 4:19 p.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N
...Love McQuaid as a player and the guy is warrior, but he had no role in Boston.

Correct. He would only play like a backup goalie does, on back to backs and maybe against soft competition, and even that would be best case, barring *miltiple* injuries. The Team and the player both recognized this and in respect to a decade of service they likely traded his to a team where a more regular role would be achievable. Even in New York it’s unlikely he will play every day, particularly if DeAngelo takes the next step, but certainly it’s more likely than in Boston. Coming into a contract year, and it’ll be tough for him to find work in 10 months regardless, he needs all the games he can get to show he is still relevant. I am sure the Bruins brass would love to see him success. I imagine it’s the start of the end of an era on the Boston blueline...first McQuaid & next will be Chara after this year.
ON3M4N liked this.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 4:41 p.m.
I'm a Skatman
the Rangers didn't need another bottom pairing/fringe NHLer before and they don't need one now. the only benefit could be keeping McLeod out of the lineup if the Rangers see McQuaid as their tough guy now.
rebecca liked this.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 4:45 p.m.
Quoting: Icegirl
I'll give the Bruins a slight edge, as McQuaid was probably gonna get pushed out of the lineup again. But on NYR, he's a good fit if Smith or Tony Dbag struggles.

Brendan Smith struggle?! Never!

The Rags have 2x 2nd pair D-Men (Shattenkirk and Skjei) and a whack of replacement level D-Men (incl McQuaid at this stage in his career) to fill out the roster. It’s ugly, perhaps not as ugly as Detroit or Ottawa (sans Karlsson) but this will be tough year for the Rags blueline until they can find some guys to fill the holes and not rely on that pair to play way above their level.

What folks are suggesting is that McQuaid brings some intangible skills, like character and passion to win, to the blueline. Maybe? Maybe not? But if McQuaid can in any way support the speed and quality of the development of their D prospects (incl Pionk to some degree), then paying a 4th rounder is worth it (tho I think Boston’s benefits are more tangible, in this trade).

Drafting and developing (and possibly trading for) high end D-Men is where the Rags need to redouble efforts in the coming 2/3 years.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 6:05 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Good for both here. McQuaid is a solid top 6 stay at home d-man. Good blocker and will probably improve Rangers PK and bring more physicaly to the team. As for Boston, they don't need him anymore and they get 2 picks and a depth player plus a cap relief to make a move when it's necessary.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 6:36 p.m.
Someone had to go, sucks it's Quaider but it's business. Will miss him for sure but got a decent return in Kampfer for depth/Providence and Bruins know how to get good players in later rounds.
Sep. 11, 2018 at 7:05 p.m.
Lavsim
Kind of surprised to see this deal, McQuaid seemed to be the perfect bruins for life player. Idk what the rangers really expect to get out of this deal since they are rebuilding but they didnt give anything too crazy either.
Funny to think the 5th rounder the cbj received went to dallas and became Jamie fkin Benn
Sep. 12, 2018 at 11:26 a.m.
Below Market Value

Even if you remove PP numbers, Krug still outscores every other Bruins defenseman at even strength. Hell, he had more even strength points than any other Bruins defenseman had all-situations points.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit