Forums/NHL Trades

(SJS / OTT) - Karlsson, Perron for Tierney, DeMelo, Norris, Balcers & picks

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Apr. 25, 2022 at 7:35 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Caufzi
This will go down as maybe the worst trade of all time.

It very well could! This trade is looking worse and worse by the day.

Now why do I get the feeling that you mean San Jose won though lol...
palhal liked this.
Apr. 25, 2022 at 9:19 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Saskleaf
It very well could! This trade is looking worse and worse by the day.

Now why do I get the feeling that you mean San Jose won though lol...

Now I certainly understand why SJ did the deal, and EK helped him get to the Cup Final. But geez due to injury he wasn't the player he one was in his final two years in Ottawa. Then SJ compounded their problem by overpaying their own UFA in Karlsson. It's the old situation GMs get in, they try to justify a UFA or maybe a RFA trade by signing the player acquired to an poor extension.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 25, 2022 at 9:50 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: palhal
Now I certainly understand why SJ did the deal, and EK helped him get to the Cup Final. But geez due to injury he wasn't the player he one was in his final two years in Ottawa. Then SJ compounded their problem by overpaying their own UFA in Karlsson. It's the old situation GMs get in, they try to justify a UFA or maybe a RFA trade by signing the player acquired to an poor extension.

Ya I agree.

Though EK did not help them make the finals.
May 18, 2022 at 2:05 p.m.
Evans truther
Quoting: exo2769
BUT, without this trade the Sharks might not get Wright or Bedard..... think about it

Well they didn't hit on Wright, let's see with Bedard next year.
Jun. 16, 2022 at 8:07 p.m.
I make Articals.
Quoting: Justin_2t1
Condition for one of the 1sts: If Karlsson plays for an Eastern Conference team, Ottawa gets another 1st. Pathetic. Dorion is a ****ing idiot.

thIs agED liKE FInE winE!
gary_ liked this.
Jun. 25, 2022 at 8:16 p.m.

randomly returned to this forum. I'm really enjoying reading these
Jun. 27, 2022 at 12:43 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Wonder when were gonna see another trade like this
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 4:57 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: aadoyle

This offseason JT Miller!!!
Jun. 27, 2022 at 8:43 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: aadoyle

Matthews next season if Toronto fails again, and if he won't discuss a contract before July 1st 2023 when his NMC kicks in.

Toronto will get a huge package similar to this, even without an extension. Although, it should be noted, at the time of the Karlsson trade this package was seen as a huge let down. San Jose's pick was projected to be in the 15-31 type range, and Norris was seen as a future 3C not a future star.
gary_ liked this.
Jun. 27, 2022 at 8:47 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t

Hey, I guess you were right.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 7:58 p.m.
Quoting: emoprettyboy
randomly returned to this forum. I'm really enjoying reading these

lmao same
Jul. 14, 2022 at 9:16 p.m.
Master of Bloodsport
Coming back to this years later and it's honestly funny how perceptions change.

In exchange for a Karlsson with no ankles who would end up getting a 8x11.5 mil boat anchor contract, the Sens got Stützle and Norris.
athrin liked this.
Aug. 26, 2022 at 10:57 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: kaljakori
Whoever voted fair deal has to be a delusional Sharks fan.

True
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 17, 2023 at 1:31 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
This is probably the most interesting trade in at least the past 5 years (if not 10).

OTT got:
- Chris Tierney/Dylan Demel/Balcers: Cap dumps, no need to talk about this much
- 2020 1st (Tim Stuzle): Is this good value? Yes, was it predicted that the Sharks would be terrible at the time? No. I think the Sens just got very lucky here and end up with a very good centre
- 2021 2nd (Zach Opstachuk): long shot prospect, could he be good in the future? Yes. But for right now, Meh
- 2019 2nd (Jamieson Rees): I honestly don't know who this is so no comment
- Josh Norris: Long shot prospect who's currently not able to stay healthy if his life depended on it

SJ got:
- Francis Perron: Really a nothing asset
- Erik Karlson: 100+ point defensemen, signs the most amount of money/season for a current denfensmen, helped SJ get to conference finals and 2nd round but demanded a trade which caused his value to drop.

What do I think of the trade, 5 years later: Ottawa got very lucky with how poorly SJ's preformance and SJ was stupid to put in the condition... SJ screwed up the contract negotiation and Karlson has only showed up in 1/5 of his tenure as a Shark
May 1, 2023 at 1:44 a.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: Leafsfan98
This is probably the most interesting trade in at least the past 5 years (if not 10).

OTT got:
- Chris Tierney/Dylan Demel/Balcers: Cap dumps, no need to talk about this much
- 2020 1st (Tim Stuzle): Is this good value? Yes, was it predicted that the Sharks would be terrible at the time? No. I think the Sens just got very lucky here and end up with a very good centre
- 2021 2nd (Zach Opstachuk): long shot prospect, could he be good in the future? Yes. But for right now, Meh
- Josh Norris: Long shot prospect who's currently not able to stay healthy if his life depended on it

SJ got:
- Francis Perron: Really a nothing asset
- Erik Karlson: 100+ point defensemen, signs the most amount of money/season for a current denfensmen, helped SJ get to conference finals and 2nd round but demanded a trade which caused his value to drop.

What do I think of the trade, 5 years later: Ottawa got very lucky with how poorly SJ's preformance and SJ was stupid to put in the condition... SJ screwed up the contract negotiation and Karlson has only showed up in 1/5 of his tenure as a Shark

The Senators got lucky. Norris was projected as a 3C or most optimistically a middle 6C. The most optimistic fans thought that maybe San Jose might have a down year and Ottawa could pick in the 10-16 type range. It was clear they were an ageing team, but nobody expected 3re overall.

Add in the additional luck of LAK taking Byfield. Ottawa had Stutzle at 2 on their internal list. So Ottawa effectively got a 2nd overall pick out of the Karlsson trade.

The Duchene trade is a bit similar, only that unlike the Karlsson trade, people already felt that Ottawa overpaid for Duchene on day 1, and then it just got worse. Nobody thought San Jose overpaid by giving up a possible late 1st and a handful of B and C level assets for Karlsson.

If Sogaard pans out as a star goalie for Ottawa, it might be the closest thing we will ever see in hockey to a Herschel Walker type trade. 1C, 1G, and 2C all filled for 10 years out of one trade.

It's a shame there aren't more mechanisms for teams to move around cap. Like maybe retention that can be spread out over a longer period of time. Karlsson is basically held hostage on a rebuilding team, and San Jose is prevented from getting assets for someone playing like a franchise player. All because the salary cap makes Karlsson, even as a franchise player, a toxic asset.
May 3, 2023 at 2:20 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: budgeteam
The Senators got lucky. Norris was projected as a 3C or most optimistically a middle 6C. The most optimistic fans thought that maybe San Jose might have a down year and Ottawa could pick in the 10-16 type range. It was clear they were an ageing team, but nobody expected 3re overall.

Add in the additional luck of LAK taking Byfield. Ottawa had Stutzle at 2 on their internal list. So Ottawa effectively got a 2nd overall pick out of the Karlsson trade.

The Duchene trade is a bit similar, only that unlike the Karlsson trade, people already felt that Ottawa overpaid for Duchene on day 1, and then it just got worse. Nobody thought San Jose overpaid by giving up a possible late 1st and a handful of B and C level assets for Karlsson.

If Sogaard pans out as a star goalie for Ottawa, it might be the closest thing we will ever see in hockey to a Herschel Walker type trade. 1C, 1G, and 2C all filled for 10 years out of one trade.

It's a shame there aren't more mechanisms for teams to move around cap. Like maybe retention that can be spread out over a longer period of time. Karlsson is basically held hostage on a rebuilding team, and San Jose is prevented from getting assets for someone playing like a franchise player. All because the salary cap makes Karlsson, even as a franchise player, a toxic asset.

I do think (looking back on it), SJ doing so poorly, makes this deal so interesting because of the what-ifs and the contract now makes Karlsson unmovable, even at his best. IDT But a helped Karlsson be better bc of the need to share prime ice time unlike Ottawa which would explain the underperformance of the once stacked Sharks
May 3, 2023 at 5:33 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I feel the only mechanisms needed to "get around cap", is not let stupid GMs have so much power that make awful trades and resignings. As bad as the trade might have been for SJ, it was the resigning of EK that made it so much worse. Like the Tkachuk trade to Florida. Thought the Flames did well getting Huberdeau, Weager and a first. But Flames make a mistake that will haunt them for eight years when they resigned Huberdeau to a 10.5m X 8 year externsion starting at age 30.
Db1899, Leafsfan98, RawDeal and 2 others liked this.
Sep. 28, 2023 at 11:26 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Matthews next season if Toronto fails again, and if he won't discuss a contract before July 1st 2023 when his NMC kicks in.

Toronto will get a huge package similar to this, even without an extension. Although, it should be noted, at the time of the Karlsson trade this package was seen as a huge let down. San Jose's pick was projected to be in the 15-31 type range, and Norris was seen as a future 3C not a future star.

Wrong Leafs player lol
Sep. 28, 2023 at 6:41 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98

OTT got:

Rees is a Carolina prospect. Probably a long shot since he hasn't played an NHL game yet, but Ottawa traded this pick to Carolina to move up and pick Mads Sogaard. So you can probably count Sogaard among the assets Ottawa got for Karlsson, though they had to give Carolina a 3rd-round pick that wasn't part of the Karlsson trade to move up.
Sep. 29, 2023 at 8:55 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: jr400
Rees is a Carolina prospect. Probably a long shot since he hasn't played an NHL game yet, but Ottawa traded this pick to Carolina to move up and pick Mads Sogaard. So you can probably count Sogaard among the assets Ottawa got for Karlsson, though they had to give Carolina a 3rd-round pick that wasn't part of the Karlsson trade to move up.

I'm just breaking down the trade itself... Not really counting any additional trades like DeMelo to WPJ etc.
Sep. 29, 2023 at 9:14 a.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan

To quote @Tntpod , “thIs agED liKE FInE winE!”
Sep. 29, 2023 at 12:18 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: LeafsForLife
To quote Tntpod , “thIs agED liKE FInE winE!”

Why? I didn't say Matthews wouldn't extend. I said he would get a return if he wouldn't discuss a contract before his NMC kicked in.

While he didn't sign prior to July 1st, they pretty clearly were already in discussions and had a mutual understanding that there would be an extension, which made the NMC deadline irrelevant. It wasn't a "I want to play out the season" type scenario.

I am all for a good badly aged post, and I am sure like most people I have a lot of them, but you're looking for something that isn't there.
Oct. 1, 2023 at 4:36 p.m.
stop daddy it hurts
Quoting: kaljakori
Whoever voted fair deal has to be a delusional Sens fan.

This aged horribly.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit