SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(SJS / OTT) - Karlsson, Perron for Tierney, DeMelo, Norris, Balcers & picks

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 13, 2018 at 4:03 p.m.
Its official now. We're seeing a major change in the NHL.

As a GM, If you are not 100% certain to be at least willing to resign a pending UFA prior to his UFA season, trade him immediately. If you want to maximize value. Ottawa's over payment of Duchene last year was an outlier. Just like Edmontons trade of Hall was....

I don't think this is a bad trade for Ottawa. I don't think the Pacioretty trade was bad either. I think us fans have been so conditioned to think that any big name player who is about to be a pending UFA that if traded, the team trading that player can just go "I want all your best prospects, all your draft picks and 2 youngest best roster players". That was the NHL prior to the last lockout (it got less and less apparent up until that year but stuff like that happened in 80's and 90's) Stuff like that doesn't fly anymore. There aren't anymore "sweepstakes" trades.

There's also one thing people have to remind themselves of, MTL with Pacioretty and OTT with Karlsson were not regular cases. Both teams were trading from a major area of weakness. Take away the drama aspect of both scenarios and both teams would have gotten more. Maybe not three 1st's and a top prospect more, but more. Now much of both teams dramas, were the team's fault but considering how bad the press has been for both teams lately, they didn't do half bad.

Ottawa and Montreal both had players with 1 year remaining on their contracts but for all intensive purposes, it might as well have been June 30th 2019. Both guys were pending UFA's and weren't going to play a game for those teams and every team in the NHL knew this.
Hockeylover360 liked this.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 4:04 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
The fact Dorion had to put in a condition to not get screwed over again and have Karlsson flipped to an eastern conference team is hilarious!

This just proves Dorion acknowledges Wilson screwed him over in the first place, and then he still proceeds to hand him arguably the best defensemen in the league. As a Habs fan who is not happy with the current situation of MTLs Management team, I realize it could be way worse with the owner and GM OTT currently has.
CD282 and habs_fan123 liked this.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 4:09 p.m.
Habs/Pens fan
Holy S***! San Jose now has a top 2 blueline in the league. I'm speechless. Hopefully the Sharks win the cup this season holy crap. I say San Jose wins but what a blockbuster.
Missouri liked this.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 4:13 p.m.
Firestrike2000
Well this finally Happened
habs_fan123 liked this.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 4:16 p.m.
Habs/Pens fan
Quoting: F50marco
Its official now. We're seeing a major change in the NHL.

As a GM, If you are not 100% certain to be at least willing to resign a pending UFA prior to his UFA season, trade him immediately. If you want to maximize value. Ottawa's over payment of Duchene last year was an outlier. Just like Edmontons trade of Hall was....

I don't think this is a bad trade for Ottawa. I don't think the Pacioretty trade was bad either. I think us fans have been so conditioned to think that any big name player who is about to be a pending UFA that if traded, the team trading that player can just go "I want all your best prospects, all your draft picks and 2 youngest best roster players". That was the NHL prior to the last lockout (it got less and less apparent up until that year but stuff like that happened in 80's and 90's) Stuff like that doesn't fly anymore. There aren't anymore "sweepstakes" trades.

There's also one thing people have to remind themselves of, MTL with Pacioretty and OTT with Karlsson were not regular cases. Both teams were trading from a major area of weakness. Take away the drama aspect of both scenarios and both teams would have gotten more. Maybe not three 1st's and a top prospect more, but more. Now much of both teams dramas, were the team's fault but considering how bad the press has been for both teams lately, they didn't do half bad.

Ottawa and Montreal both had players with 1 year remaining on their contracts but for all intensive purposes, it might as well have been June 30th 2019. Both guys were pending UFA's and weren't going to play a game for those teams and every team in the NHL knew this.

You are right this could be a rental, however I think the Sharks have the cap space to sign him. This will have the potential to be super lopsided for either team or be a lose-lose. (See: Jagr to Washington)
Sep. 13, 2018 at 4:23 p.m.
Quoting: Hockeylover360
You are right this could be a rental, however I think the Sharks have the cap space to sign him. This will have the potential to be super lopsided for either team or be a lose-lose. (See: Jagr to Washington)

Sorry i think you misinterpreted. I said it as if Ottawa trading EK now was basically the same as just before deadline next year (Not quite obviously) when there contracts were almost done.... EK was not playing another game for Sens and they felt they had to trade him before the season started, so another artificial deadline not in they're favor.

Usually teams have the option to let a player run out his contact and be traded at the deadline or before free agency or something, Ottawa didn't even have that luxury.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 4:26 p.m.
Habs/Pens fan
Quoting: F50marco
Sorry i think you misinterpreted. I said it as if Ottawa trading EK now was basically the same as just before deadline next year (Not quite obviously) when there contracts were almost done.... EK was not playing another game for Sens and they felt they had to trade him before the season started, so another artificial deadline not in they're favor.

Usually teams have the option to let a player run out his contact and be traded at the deadline or before free agency or something, Ottawa didn't even have that luxury.

Yeah, the sens were tied to their hands.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 4:36 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I'm not going to lie, i'm surprised. I mean, there were a ton of rumours but i just couldn't see it actually happening. And now it has. SJS has one of the better defences in the NHL now. Ottawa really could have gotten more though.
habs_fan123 and zk97 liked this.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 4:39 p.m.
xd
I cannot believe my eyes. Sens traded Francis Perron
rangersandislesfan, Ragsandbluesfan, Karimizo and 3 others liked this.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 4:45 p.m.
WentWughes
How can you be this bad... Thank god Montreal has Bergevin and not this clown
Sep. 13, 2018 at 4:45 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I mean, this is a huge return, no question. But it's not the type of return you should get for Erik Karlsson. They get a top prospect, a 1st, a 3C, and a few other pretty good pieces. But i still wouldn't say it's a good enough return for a player as good as EK.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 4:46 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Now watch how people react when Karlsson signs with Ottawa on July 1.
Briley liked this.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 4:51 p.m.
Burns and Karlsson? They realize having an extra forward on the ice all the time is a risky strategy, right?
Sep. 13, 2018 at 4:52 p.m.
Habs
Quoting: oilersfan089
Burns and Karlsson? They realize having an extra forward on the ice all the time is a risky strategy, right?

You do realize that having one of the best defensemen in the world on the ice for 50 minutes a game is a very good idea, right?
Sep. 13, 2018 at 5:03 p.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Now watch how people react when Karlsson signs with Ottawa on July 1.

Lmao. You honestly think he's gonna go back to Ottawa?
habs_fan123 liked this.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 5:04 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
So much for Sens plans that thought they would a kings ransom once boobie Ryan was no longer a part of the trade.

I No Merkley, no Meier, no leblanc to the Sens in trade.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 5:24 p.m.
Quoting: OpaqueZoo
You do realize that having one of the best defensemen in the world on the ice for 50 minutes a game is a very good idea, right?

If your goal is to injure him, maybe. But Hedman wasn't involved with this trade, so I don't see what that has to do with anything anyway.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 5:25 p.m.
Banned
The San Jose Sharks: Keeper of two Norris Trophy winning defensemen in Brent Burns and Erik Karlsson, and STILL won't win a Stanley Cup.
Briley and habs_fan123 liked this.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 5:28 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Lmao. You honestly think he's gonna go back to Ottawa?

Of course i do ... and after they sign him on July 1, they're gonna trade him back to SJS for a more reasonable return shakes head

I was kidding about him returning to Ottawa ... it would be crazy if he did but he won't.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 5:37 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
I really don't see an impact player coming back. How you couldn't get one of their top 3 prospects is pretty baffling. Would've been nice for once to go for a couple quality players instead of lot's of maybes. The pipeline was good to start with it's sad that this trade didn't really add to it lol. Maybe a Dman... maybe lol
Sep. 13, 2018 at 5:40 p.m.
Lavsim
Meh not the type of return i expected for the Sens but to be honest it's better than getting Shea Weber back.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 5:58 p.m.
This literally looks like an armchair-GM trade. What an absolute mess
Sep. 13, 2018 at 6:00 p.m.
Quoting: Babcock_4_Mayor
This literally looks like an armchair-GM trade. What an absolute mess

Honestly it's worse than many of the AGM EK trades were.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 6:24 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Seguin re-signing with Dallas is the 2nd biggest news of the day in the NHL lol.
Sep. 13, 2018 at 6:36 p.m.
Banned
yeah you could see this coming as it's the start of training camp going on.
I honestly don't think it's bad value for Ottawa. I know people will hate on it. But they got a former 1st round pick, A 1st round pick, and 2 second round picks, one that might turn to a 1st.
Odds are high that will help them with a rebuild.
Karlsson was leaving, everyone knew that. At least they got something.
For SJS I would hope they have a contract already worked out. If EK decides to up and leave at the end of the year, everyone will say the same thing, boy did they get burned.
SJS will get to see if EK is reasonable on his demands. If he comes out like 13 mil SJS sharks could already be handcuffed, considering all the picks they gave up to get him.
Hockeylover360 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit