G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA
$1,100,000$1,100,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 23, 2018 at 9:12 a.m.
BeastMode5515
Barring a miracle, this isn’t a playoff team.
Sep. 23, 2018 at 9:17 a.m.
Quoting: BeastMode5515

Forwards are cup contender quality. I'm happy with the goalies

D is completely dependent on development of young d. If they don't pan out it's a huge hole.

But frankly I just worked with what was there. Trades would have to be done otherwise. Perhaps Marleau if he'd accept it. Or Nylander. Or one or two of hyman/Johnson/kapanen/brown.

But yeah. The caps tight for sure.
BeastMode5515 liked this.
Sep. 23, 2018 at 9:30 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Lol... oh that’s funny but really... don’t be jealous. You not being familiar with our defence does not make it incompetent. This is a good group that should be competing for the cup for years. Don’t be such a bruins fan... lol
Sep. 23, 2018 at 9:33 a.m.
BeastMode5515
Quoting: Jamiepo
Lol... oh that’s funny but really... don’t be jealous. You not being familiar with our defence does not make it incompetent. This is a good group that should be competing for the cup for years. Don’t be such a bruins fan... lol

Yeah but this defense is incompetent. When Nikita Zaitsev is your first pairing RHD and then the two defenseman after that have played no nhl time that’s when you know you will need a miracle to stop any pucks that come at you. Dermott will have to improve to contest for a top 4 spot on a team other than Toronto. And if we’re talking about homers...
Sep. 23, 2018 at 9:44 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Yeah but this defense is incompetent. When Nikita Zaitsev is your first pairing RHD and then the two defenseman after that have played no nhl time that’s when you know you will need a miracle to stop any pucks that come at you. Dermott will have to improve to contest for a top 4 spot on a team other than Toronto. And if we’re talking about homers...

But the defence was good enough last year to be 12th GAA and 6th in overalll standings. So why is nonsense about the defence being incompetent? This posted team is two years removed from last years.
Gardiner, Hainsey and Polak are gone. Replaced with Borgman, Liljegren and Ozhignokiv. This constant rant about an the Leafs defence being incompetent is just so non factual.
tmljk22 and Random2152 liked this.
Sep. 23, 2018 at 9:50 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

The D will hold up just fine, the rookies will get a chance to get some games in this year. So with only 63 games in is Mcavoy trash? Just wondering how he gets toted as the second coming of pronger with only 67 total pro games. Zaitsev was injured and sick last year and I have no doubt he will have a strong season this year. Ozhiganov will get a full season in and with Rosen and Borgman playing how they have there is no reason to think the defence won’t be what we need it to be. This myth of the soft Toronto D is just unfounded. Not everything works out how you want it to sometimes and if we have a need on defence it will be addressed. We have plenty of movable pieces.
Sep. 23, 2018 at 10:03 a.m.
BeastMode5515
Quoting: palhal
But the defence was good enough last year to be 12th GAA and 6th in overalll standings. So why is nonsense about the defence being incompetent? This posted team is two years removed from last years.
Gardiner, Hainsey and Polak are gone. Replaced with Borgman, Liljegren and Ozhignokiv. This constant rant about an the Leafs defence being incompetent is just so non factual.

The D will hold up just fine, the rookies will get a chance to get some games in this year. So with only 63 games in is Mcavoy trash? Just wondering how he gets toted as the second coming of pronger with only 67 total pro games. Zaitsev was injured and sick last year and I have no doubt he will have a strong season this year. Ozhiganov will get a full season in and with Rosen and Borgman playing how they have there is no reason to think the defence won’t be what we need it to be. This myth of the soft Toronto D is just unfounded. Not everything works out how you want it to sometimes and if we have a need on defence it will be addressed. We have plenty of movable pieces.

Leafs Homers much? Jesus Christ
Sep. 23, 2018 at 10:05 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Nice... you have earned a slow clap for your insight here...
Sep. 23, 2018 at 10:07 a.m.
BeastMode5515
Nice... you have earned a slow clap for your insight here...

God I wish JT didn’t sign in Toronto...
Sep. 23, 2018 at 10:11 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
God I wish JT didn’t sign in Toronto...

Sure you wish we didn’t draft Matthews, nylander and marner either, don’t be a hater.
Sep. 23, 2018 at 10:13 a.m.
BeastMode5515
Sure you wish we didn’t draft Matthews, nylander and marner either, don’t be a hater.

Don’t be a homer
Sep. 23, 2018 at 11:08 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

It's seems to be constant trolling by a Leaf hater or you just enjoy the comments. Just don't know if you're really trolling or just your true beliefs. You don't seem to look at facts at all.
Sep. 23, 2018 at 11:15 a.m.

The defense I posted above is definitely risky and depends on things breaking right for the leafs.

Gardiner is better than any other Leaf defenseman not named Reilly and we're losing him. I know everyone likes to bash him for his occasional dumb plays but what they don't realize is how effective he is the vast majority of the time.

This defense above is based around 4 young defenseman with out a full NHL season among them turning into two thirds of a d corps. While it's possible it is most certainly a gamble and a significant one at that.

Expecting all or even most of your prospects who look great in the AHL and good in limited showing in the NHL to turn into good NHLers is setting yourself up for disaster.

Otherwise we'd have a team led by Joe Colborne, Keith Aulie, Matt Frattin, Stuart Percy, et Al.
Sep. 23, 2018 at 11:28 a.m.
It’s hard to project what young depth guys will be worth, even only a year from now. If the Leafs can shave $700K in cap hits from Kapanen, Johnsson and Borgman, maybe they could re-sign Gardiner at, say, $5M per. They still may have to trade a Brown (or a Hyman) in order to add 2-3 guys for a full roster. I would much rather pay for a top 3-4 dman than a bottom six forward.
Sep. 23, 2018 at 11:28 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: BCAPP
The defense I posted above is definitely risky and depends on things breaking right for the leafs.

Gardiner is better than any other Leaf defenseman not named Reilly and we're losing him. I know everyone likes to bash him for his occasional dumb plays but what they don't realize is how effective he is the vast majority of the time.

This defense above is based around 4 young defenseman with out a full NHL season among them turning into two thirds of a d corps. While it's possible it is most certainly a gamble and a significant one at that.

Expecting all or even most of your prospects who look great in the AHL and good in limited showing in the NHL to turn into good NHLers is setting yourself up for disaster.

Otherwise we'd have a team led by Joe Colborne, Keith Aulie, Matt Frattin, Stuart Percy, et Al.

I'll disagree with the young Dman theory. Rosen, Borgman and Ozhignkov all played in the SHL and KHL. By next year Liljegren will have played a year in the SHL and two years in the AHL. They are experienced pros not just youngsters coming out of junior. Now you may want to question if they they NHL good this year or next year, but please don't use the red herring "young" In a cap league, all teams need young players, cheaper players to replace overpriced UFAs or retired players. So the Leafs don't see to any different than most other teams.
Sep. 23, 2018 at 12:15 p.m.
I'll disagree with the young Dman theory. Rosen, Borgman and Ozhignkov all played in the SHL and KHL. By next year Liljegren will have played a year in the SHL and two years in the AHL. They are experienced pros not just youngsters coming out of junior. Now you may want to question if they they NHL good this year or next year, but please don't use the red herring "young" In a cap league, all teams need young players, cheaper players to replace overpriced UFAs or retired players. So the Leafs don't see to any different than most other teams.

I didn't use the red herring young. There are many prospects or borderline NHLers who have played in SHL/KHL and AHL for a number of years and never panned out to being much, and that is what I was trying to allude to. There have been many, many similar players in the Leafs system, even over the recent 5-10 years who looked promising with their preNHL time and just didn't pan out to much.

To name a few:
Loov, Blacker, Percy, Granberg, Holzer, Aulie, MacWilliam, and Valiev. Those are all from my memory without looking any of them up. At forward similarly we have Colborne, Frattin, Abbot, Mueller, D'Amigo, and Kozun. Again just off the top of my head.

The point I am making is not about young players, the league is going younger and they're essential in the cap world. The point I'm making is it is very risky to assume that because players have been successful in Europe/NCAA/Major Junior/AHL plus potentially a small stint in the NHL, that they'll be more than fringe NHLers is a big risk. It has nothing to do with the red herring you alluded to, but everything to do with assuming anywhere near most pre-NHL players pan out. The majority do not prove to be anymore than fringe NHLers. The potential team I alluded to above is gambling that we can make up two thirds of our defense corps through graduation. I would love it, but it is risky.
Sep. 23, 2018 at 12:17 p.m.
Quoting: graderman
It’s hard to project what young depth guys will be worth, even only a year from now. If the Leafs can shave $700K in cap hits from Kapanen, Johnsson and Borgman, maybe they could re-sign Gardiner at, say, $5M per. They still may have to trade a Brown (or a Hyman) in order to add 2-3 guys for a full roster. I would much rather pay for a top 3-4 dman than a bottom six forward.

I just tried to see what the cap would look like with rough guesses without trades. I absolutely think we need to trade:

1) 1-2 of Hyman/Brown/Johnsson/Kapanen. If you want to sign the big 3, Tavares/Kadri up front, 2-3 million for other forwards is a luxury you probably can't afford
2) Marleau if he'll accept it. I said it the day he signed, and I'll say it now. The problem with Marleau's contract was then and is now the third year because thats when Marner and Matthews need to be resigned.
graderman liked this.
Sep. 23, 2018 at 1:29 p.m.

But most teams have a couple of inexperienced forwards with more experienced players who can help guide them as they develop their talents. The Leafs, on the other hand, will have no room to re-sign Gardiner, Hainsey, and have already lost Polak. They are relying on people like Liljegren, Rosen, Borgman, and Ozhiganov to play without another linemate whose done this before. I'm not saying it can't be done, but to suggest that it's not a risk is purely bias. None of those people have ever held a permanent role in the NHL, and talent in the AHL (or any other league) does not always translate to talent in the NHL, with much more pressure and much better opponents. Look at what happened wit Shipachyov, a KHL star - he scored one goal, but ended up going back to Russia after refusing to play in the minor league because the Golden Knights didn't think he was good enough to even be on their roster. I honestly think the Leafs would be better off if they sacrifice some of their offensive talent for a couple of defensemen who they know can defend, just in case some of the prospects don't pan out or need guidance (especially if you plan on pairing Reily and Zaitsev).

I would also be concerned about how offense-oriented some of those prospects are. The Lightning have been criticized for picking Foote over Liljegren, but the Lightning and the Leafs have been similar recently in terms of being an offensive powerhouse with defensive concerns. Foote is a defensive-defenseman, whereas Liljegren is mostly an offensive talent. Liljegren is probably "better" than Foote, but Foote would more than likely fit better on any team. And I think the Leafs' prospects is more skewed towards the Liljegren type than the Foote type - talented, but not defensively talented. And unfortunately, that's the same category Reily falls into. The Leafs are asking these people to really build up their defensive game and step a completely new role with very little help (as in nobody to cover for their mistakes, otherwise they'll hardly be Cup contenders and will more than likely need to move one of their best forwards to do something about it. I don't think any team has ever won the Cup without a single experienced defenseman.
Sep. 23, 2018 at 1:32 p.m.
Edited Sep. 23, 2018 at 1:40 p.m.
Quoting: I_Know_Nothing_About_Hockey_Or_Any_Sport2
But most teams have a couple of inexperienced forwards with more experienced players who can help guide them as they develop their talents. The Leafs, on the other hand, will have no room to re-sign Gardiner, Hainsey, and have already lost Polak. They are relying on people like Liljegren, Rosen, Borgman, and Ozhiganov to play without another linemate whose done this before. I'm not saying it can't be done, but to suggest that it's not a risk is purely bias. None of those people have ever held a permanent role in the NHL, and talent in the AHL (or any other league) does not always translate to talent in the NHL, with much more pressure and much better opponents. Look at what happened wit Shipachyov, a KHL star - he scored one goal, but ended up going back to Russia after refusing to play in the minor league because the Golden Knights didn't think he was good enough to even be on their roster. I honestly think the Leafs would be better off if they sacrifice some of their offensive talent for a couple of defensemen who they know can defend, just in case some of the prospects don't pan out or need guidance (especially if you plan on pairing Reily and Zaitsev).

I would also be concerned about how offense-oriented some of those prospects are. The Lightning have been criticized for picking Foote over Liljegren, but the Lightning and the Leafs have been similar recently in terms of being an offensive powerhouse with defensive concerns. Foote is a defensive-defenseman, whereas Liljegren is mostly an offensive talent. Liljegren is probably "better" than Foote, but Foote would more than likely fit better on any team. And I think the Leafs' prospects is more skewed towards the Liljegren type than the Foote type - talented, but not defensively talented. And unfortunately, that's the same category Reily falls into. The Leafs are asking these people to really build up their defensive game and step a completely new role with very little help (as in nobody to cover for their mistakes, otherwise they'll hardly be Cup contenders and will more than likely need to move one of their best forwards to do something about it. I don't think any team has ever won the Cup without a single experienced defenseman.

Well written.....my thoughts on the "D problem" exactly

Tho i think cause of next years Cap crunch, TML should ( are ) be planning the D upgrading after the supposedlly Expansion Draft in 2020/2021...with Cap rise and some contracts off their back ( sry Marleau, i like you a lot ). Many good shutdown Ds will be missed till then cause being on verge of their contracts in next 2 years tho.....

so Stanley hunt first starts in 2021
Sep. 24, 2018 at 11:32 a.m.
Quoting: BCAPP
I just tried to see what the cap would look like with rough guesses without trades. I absolutely think we need to trade:

1) 1-2 of Hyman/Brown/Johnsson/Kapanen. If you want to sign the big 3, Tavares/Kadri up front, 2-3 million for other forwards is a luxury you probably can't afford
2) Marleau if he'll accept it. I said it the day he signed, and I'll say it now. The problem with Marleau's contract was then and is now the third year because thats when Marner and Matthews need to be resigned.
Agree with Marleau. The 3rd year was added to keep the cap hit lower but knowing Matthews and Marner are the future at least eliminate the NMC for that final year.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll