SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

If Nylander Wants 8 He Can Play Elsewhere

If he wants 8 and won't go less, should he be dealt for value.
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 23, 2018 at 3:33 p.m.
Burla
I LOVE WILLIAM NYLANDER. I do not work for TSN I think he has great value on this team and I think he is very talented. However in terms of importance he is at the very most 6th. The centers Reilly and Freddy are ll more important than Willy. It is preseason but we can see that a buyout Tyler Ennie can set up AM so if Willy really thinks he deserves that much money while having 0 leverage I think he will not get signed or he will be dealt. My proposal is the CBJ there could be an exchange of talented wingers Panarin for Nylander. In Columbus Willy could play center and here Panarin could bring Matthews to a whole other level.

Patty Kane had his best years, his only 40 goal season with Panarin, Matthews would have 50 no problem.
Panarin signs a 6 year 8.5-9 million dollar deal, he joins a dynasty which he was jilted from in chicago, his endowments would be through the roof and lastly he would cap what Marmer makes. Similar to Tavares 11, if Panarin got 8.5 or 9, he is simply better than Marner this would knock down Marners number and would make next off-season easier. This is only done with an extension but a top 6 of
Marleau-Matthews-Panarin
Hyman-Tavares-Marner

This is unfairly talented, taht is 200 goals in the top 6, that is a Stanley cup champion.

I do not want to trade Willy, but if he is unreasonable and Panarin wanted to play here I think this helps the Leafs, and the Blue Jackets.

What do you think?
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/868447
This is just a reference of what next years contracts would look like.
Sep. 29, 2018 at 11:27 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I voted No. Not that the Leafs should pay him 8m. It sets a terrible precedent for the team, if they trade a RFA, just because he might make money more money elsewhere. What, next year Matthews and Marner refuse to sign because they know they can get a few more dollars elsewhere and knowing that it Leaf policy to trade unsigned RFAs.
RFAs have virtually no rights being able to go from various teams bargaining for the best money. That's reserved for UFAs.
Sep. 30, 2018 at 12:28 p.m.
Burla
Quoting: palhal
I voted No. Not that the Leafs should pay him 8m. It sets a terrible precedent for the team, if they trade a RFA, just because he might make money more money elsewhere. What, next year Matthews and Marner refuse to sign because they know they can get a few more dollars elsewhere and knowing that it Leaf policy to trade unsigned RFAs.
RFAs have virtually no rights being able to go from various teams bargaining for the best money. That's reserved for UFAs.

I am not trading Willy because I want to, I'm trading him because he will not be the reason this team has cap issues. He is, in terms of importance 7th. The 3 centers, Reilly, Freddy, Mitch and then him. I think Willy could have 80 points in a few years, I do not think he will have 100. I think Mitch with have a 100 point season playing with Tavares so if he was 9.5 (Kucherov) of 10.5 (Kane) and he proved to be worth that he should be paid. Matthew's is 11 and that's easy. But you are not losing mitch because you played Willy. The Leafs are a matchup Nightmare with 3 centers who all score from the dangerous areas. The Lwafs could win the cup and they could do it without Nylander
Marleau-Matthews
Tavares-Marmer
Kadri-Brown (Shutdown with hopefully Johnsson.) When the lwafs are on home side Babas will be laughing at opponents as Matthew's comes.out against 3rd lines and Marleau is putting the puck in empty nets, it's not fair.

So if Willy wants 6.5 great. If he was 7.25 for 8 years, awesome. If he was 5 for 2 years, great that means a little extra cap space in the 2020 of season. But if he says that he is Drisaitl, I say no or at least joe here. You are the 8th ot 9th center on this team, you could be 1C a lot of other places if you want 8 5 we will find you a hole, and get equal value back to win the Stanley cup.
Panarin works.
If Seth Jones wasn't hurt I would make that tree then pair nylander and panarin and hopefully panarin chnace his mind.

I would like to know other players you would trade nylander for. And it's not a bunch of picks and prospects the Lefs are sending away a star, they need one in return.

I also would call Edmonton. They need to make McDavid happen. Klefbom + Yamomoto for Nylander
I think I make that trade as both teams. Then McDavid can have at least 1 good winger.
Oct. 1, 2018 at 8:33 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: burla13

I would like to know other players you would trade nylander for. And it's not a bunch of picks and prospects the Lefs are sending away a star, they need one in return.

As I suggested in my first post, I wouldn't trade Willy. It just sends too much of a bad precedent for our RFAs. Sit out and you get traded is terrible precedent.

And what is the salary that other teams would be pay Willy? Even if they can overpay for his salary, do they really want to? Their own RFAs will be coming up negotiation and is having a parachuted overpaid Nylander on your team really a good precedent you want?

Any comparable puts Willy at about 6.5m not 8m. (if media reports are correct) Reinhart signed a bridge at 3.625m, and his numbers weren't all that much different that Willy last year. IMO, other GMs are really backing the Leafs. Some of this RFA $$$ madness, is making RFAs getting paid like accomplished UFAs.
And it's not like. the Leafs (or many teams) are cheap. They spend to cap now. So all we're talking about how money allotted to various players, not the total team compensation. Betcha many Leaf players actually think the Leafs are correct in their stance....again if the media $$$ amounts are correct.

You asked me who I would trade for Nylander. First Nylander has to be signed. And teams in all likelihood don't want to overpay Nylander salary, so a trade is improbable.
I would like Pesce, Parayko and Manson in a trade. But Canes have Aho and Teravanen coming up with contracts....they don't want an overpaid Nylander on their team. Ducks have bigger cap issues than the Leafs next year, I doubt if can/want to pay Nylander over 7m.
You mentioned that Edmonton trade, well Oilers have cap issues too. Klefbom? I think the Leafs are fine at LHD.
Especially with Willy under Leafs NHL control for five years....the Leafs aren't desperate for a trade.
Oct. 1, 2018 at 12:51 p.m.
Burla
Quoting: palhal

I think you are completely correct, which if there is one logical trade in my mind it is Panarin (obviously with an extension) I think Panarin is a better player with the same talents only even more elite vision. Columbus is at a crisis where 2 of their best players have said they are leaving. I think they would pay willy 8 or 8.5 and he could be their franchise player along with Seth Jones and Werenski, hopefully, youth and skill could save the franchise. I think for the Leafs Panarin would make the most logical sense because he is better than Marner, at least I think so, if Marner is better than the Leafs have 3 top 10 players already. Let's say Panarin signs 7 x 9.5, much like Tavares getting 11 and kind of capping RFA Matthews, if Panarin played with Matthews and had more points than Marner, that would knock down his cap hit.

Ideally, I want Matthews-Nylander Tavares-Marner for the next 10 years where the Leafs can win Cups and all of their jerseys can hang in the SBA together. But if Nylander is deadset on 8, and willing to start losing paycheques this weeks, the Leafs should flex their muscles and make him come to them. I think they can win without him, so if he is there this team will be very good.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit