SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Kotkaniemi or Suzuki

Sep. 24, 2018 at 5:54 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Honestly haven't seen enough of Suzuki yet. But if Habs are to give someone a 9 game test drive to start the season. Suzuki should be given a lot of consideration as well. If they cut him from the team, he has to go to the OHL. Where Kotkaniemi can go to the AHL and still play pro league hockey if they cut him. Suzuki has nothing to prove anymore in Junior. His only challenge would be the World Juniors. and 100% Habs won't keep both. Wouldn't it make sense "development wise" to have both of your top Center prospects play pro games?

So far Kotkaniemi has the edge because he's been playing the most games and has already had a chance to play on the top line (and played amazing). Suzuki has only been in 1 pre-season game, and he played with 2 fringe AHLers...and made them both look good.
Sep. 24, 2018 at 5:59 p.m.
Glep
Suzuki for now but if he performs poorly or a center gets injured the jesperi
Sep. 24, 2018 at 6:22 p.m.
ForeignObjects316
Suzuki because he handled the extra faceoff workload without breaking a sweat after Domi was kicked out he and Peca both took primary draws.
Suzuki is read now to play on small ice and Kotkanemi should spend a year in the AHL becoming a powerhouse on small ice .

He picked up an assist and showed he's a primary playmaker and possession center (perfect guy to slide between byron-drouin
Sep. 24, 2018 at 6:40 p.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
The issue the Habs have, in my opinion, not saying I am right. Is this:

They have three 3rd lines and one 2nd.

To explain this, they have all of these young players that are definitely NHL ready. I even think most of them are not just NHL ready, but good enough/ready enough for a third line work load. That being said if you moved any of the players on the "top line" to another team, I dont see them actually making their top lines. Drouin, Domi and Gallagher maybe one of the best 2nd lines in the league. But a true number one line? I just don't see it.

No matter how you slice this cake, it is painfully apparent that management has completely mismanaged their assets and development. Its a damn shame and not fair to half of the players on this roster. In a huge way it reminds me of Toronto 5-10 years ago. Complete mismanagement and poor development destroying a team. How can you have a team of third and 2nd liners in today's NHL? If they had a true #1C and maybe a complete stud on the right side, this team looks completely different. Now Habs faithful will state that is coming and in many ways I see that it is. But right now, I feel for you guys, because this is hard to watch.

Sorry for the rant, and if you disagree, I completely understand, its just my opinion.
Sep. 24, 2018 at 6:53 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Davisoc
The issue the Habs have, in my opinion, not saying I am right. Is this:

They have three 3rd lines and one 2nd.

To explain this, they have all of these young players that are definitely NHL ready. I even think most of them are not just NHL ready, but good enough/ready enough for a third line work load. That being said if you moved any of the players on the "top line" to another team, I dont see them actually making their top lines. Drouin, Domi and Gallagher maybe one of the best 2nd lines in the league. But a true number one line? I just don't see it.

No matter how you slice this cake, it is painfully apparent that management has completely mismanaged their assets and development. Its a damn shame and not fair to half of the players on this roster. In a huge way it reminds me of Toronto 5-10 years ago. Complete mismanagement and poor development destroying a team. How can you have a team of third and 2nd liners in today's NHL? If they had a true #1C and maybe a complete stud on the right side, this team looks completely different. Now Habs faithful will state that is coming and in many ways I see that it is. But right now, I feel for you guys, because this is hard to watch.

Sorry for the rant, and if you disagree, I completely understand, its just my opinion.

I would definitely argue that Both Drouin + Gallagher belong on the 1st line. If only we had a true #1 center.

As for Suzuki or KK, I would argue that KK deserves to stay while Suzuki goes back to the CHL and gains some muscle as well as play 100% of the games at Center. He just isn't strong enough to play in the NHL. He constantly gets stripped of the puck because when a defender touches him he goes flying. KK can handle his own (to an extent) I would definitely give him the chance to make the NHL
Sep. 24, 2018 at 7:01 p.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
I would definitely argue that Both Drouin + Gallagher belong on the 1st line. If only we had a true #1 center.

As for Suzuki or KK, I would argue that KK deserves to stay while Suzuki goes back to the CHL and gains some muscle as well as play 100% of the games at Center. He just isn't strong enough to play in the NHL. He constantly gets stripped of the puck because when a defender touches him he goes flying. KK can handle his own (to an extent) I would definitely give him the chance to make the NHL

Okay, so lets play along with this. I trade for Druin to a contender, lets saying the Preds. You see him on their top line? Same with Gallagher, you trade him to any competing team, who do you move to make that fit? They are top line guys on Montreal, I don't see them be top line guys anywhere else.
Sep. 24, 2018 at 7:16 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Okay, so lets play along with this. I trade for Druin to a contender, lets saying the Preds. You see him on their top line? Same with Gallagher, you trade him to any competing team, who do you move to make that fit? They are top line guys on Montreal, I don't see them be top line guys anywhere else.

Drouin is a 1st line winger. Gallagher still debatable depending on how he does this season. Put Drouin in PIT and he's with Crosby 100%. it will always depends on the depth a certain team has on the wing. Pacioretty is a 1st LW, yet he's on the 2nd line with Sastny.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Sep. 24, 2018 at 7:19 p.m.
WentWughes

That's pretty ridiculous. I guess Matthews is a 2nd liner because he plays 2nd line with Toronto
Sep. 24, 2018 at 7:30 p.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
Quoting: Blazingbat11
Drouin is a 1st line winger. Gallagher still debatable depending on how he does this season. Put Drouin in PIT and he's with Crosby 100%. it will always depends on the depth a certain team has on the wing. Pacioretty is a 1st LW, yet he's on the 2nd line with Sastny.

A team that has minimal LW depth? Sure. But this is a team that made Sheary a top line winger because of Crosby. I cant think of a single other contender that Drouin would take that spot.
Sep. 24, 2018 at 7:31 p.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
That's pretty ridiculous. I guess Matthews is a 2nd liner because he plays 2nd line with Toronto

Organizational depth is a dream, its why you can make those calls. But right now Montreal doesn't have a single Tavares/Mathews caliber player. So, I still stand by my statement.
Sep. 24, 2018 at 7:34 p.m.
WentWughes
Organizational depth is a dream, its why you can make those calls. But right now Montreal doesn't have a single Tavares/Mathews caliber player. So, I still stand by my statement.

What?

You said Drouin would be a 2nd liner on Nashville so you don't consider him a 1st liner... Well Matthews is a 2nd liner on Toronto so that must make him a 2nd liner
Sep. 24, 2018 at 7:42 p.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
What?

You said Drouin would be a 2nd liner on Nashville so you don't consider him a 1st liner... Well Matthews is a 2nd liner on Toronto so that must make him a 2nd liner

No, I am saying Drouin is a 2nd liner playing on the first line. No where did I say Mathews was anything. Mathews is a first liner playing on the second line. COMPLETELY different story.
Sep. 24, 2018 at 7:46 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
A team that has minimal LW depth? Sure. But this is a team that made Sheary a top line winger because of Crosby. I cant think of a single other contender that Drouin would take that spot.

well now it depends what you consider a contender. SJS you can argue Drouin would be a better fit than Kane with Couture being more of a goalscorer. WSH would 100% put him Kuzy and Ovie (on RW) if they had Drouin. Not sure your logic works my friend. With your logic Morgan Reilly is a 3rd pairing Dman because that's where he'd play in NSH...
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Sep. 24, 2018 at 7:57 p.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
Quoting: Blazingbat11
well now it depends what you consider a contender. SJS you can argue Drouin would be a better fit than Kane with Couture being more of a goalscorer. WSH would 100% put him Kuzy and Ovie (on RW) if they had Drouin. Not sure your logic works my friend. With your logic Morgan Reilly is a 3rd pairing Dman because that's where he'd play in NSH...

The logic stems from what I believe Drouin is. Again, I did state it was my opinion, it is fine if you disagree. I do not see Drouin as a first line player. I think he is only there on this team, because there isn't a better option. Again, my opinion. I am completely fine if you disagree.
Sep. 24, 2018 at 8:09 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
The logic stems from what I believe Drouin is. Again, I did state it was my opinion, it is fine if you disagree. I do not see Drouin as a first line player. I think he is only there on this team, because there isn't a better option. Again, my opinion. I am completely fine if you disagree.

That's fine, wasn't trying to change your mind. Agree to disagree.
Davisoc liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll