Forums/Armchair-GM

What are peoples opinion on this trade - Nylander

Created by: Davisoc
Team: 2018-19 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 27, 2018
Published: Sep. 27, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If the value is off, that is fine. I am not here to argue what picks/prospects have to go back and forth. I am just wondering from an organizational stand point, would you do this trade. My biggest quip is the same conference issue. But that aside, what do you think?
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Nylander, William
6$7,750,000
Trades
CAR
    Rights to William Nylander
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    20$79,500,000$62,921,666$0$4,350,000$16,578,334
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    C
    UFA - 1
    Nylander, William
    $7,750,000$7,750,000
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $675,000$675,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $894,167$894,167
    RW
    RFA - 4
    $2,860,000$2,860,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $887,500$887,500
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,800,000$1,800,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    LD
    UFA - 7
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $4,150,000$4,150,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $4,550,000$4,550,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 4
    $4,150,000$4,150,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $2,300,000$2,300,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    C
    UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Sep. 27, 2018 at 11:49 a.m.
    Glep
    There should be picks involved for the canes
    Sep. 27, 2018 at 11:50 a.m.
    Tspky
    Quoting: Hurricanes73

not because ones a better player, simply because of the contract amt/duration
    Sep. 27, 2018 at 11:52 a.m.
    KFTW
    Quoting: Hurricanes73

Honestly picks would need to be balanced on a side but this is the best fair value deal for both teams. Nylander can play C or RW and the Canes are so loaded on D, they still would have a great top 6 D and Bean and Fox coming in the next few years. Pesce is a great top 4D on an amazing contract and this deal would stop the cap hell that the Leafs would be in and it would clear space for Kapanen to play up in the lineup
    Sep. 27, 2018 at 11:53 a.m.
    Wannabe Leafs GM
    Again, back to the description I am not here to argue what would need to be added. Just if people would call it fair from the start. Looks like people agree there is something worth while here.
    Sep. 27, 2018 at 11:54 a.m.
    Wannabe Leafs GM
    Quoting: csick
    Honestly picks would need to be balanced on a side but this is the best fair value deal for both teams. Nylander can play C or RW and the Canes are so loaded on D, they still would have a great top 6 D and Bean and Fox coming in the next few years. Pesce is a great top 4D on an amazing contract and this deal would stop the cap hell that the Leafs would be in and it would clear space for Kapanen to play up in the lineup

It makes so much sense to me. The thought of losing Nylander genuinely upsets me, but the more I think about it, the more this trade in particular makes sense.
    Sep. 27, 2018 at 11:55 a.m.
    KFTW
    Quoting: Davisoc
    It makes so much sense to me. The thought of losing Nylander genuinely upsets me, but the more I think about it, the more this trade in particular makes sense.

4 mill for the next 6 years is a steal
    Davisoc liked this.
    Sep. 27, 2018 at 12:00 p.m.
    Banned
    You are going to get the following 2 responses on this post.

Cane fans will say, try Nylander and 2 first rounders and then we'll talk or something silly like that.

Leaf fans will say, try Pesce and Necas or a 1st and then we'll talk or something silly like that.

Here is how I look at this potential trade.

First thing that comes to mind is Hall for Larsson. Sure Nylander isn't at Hall's level, but Larsson was a first rounder while Pesce was a later developing 3rd round pick. The comparison is close enough, offense for defence worked out wonderfully for Edmonton......says absolutely no one.

So with that in mind, Nylander's value should be a lot higher than just Pesce.

What other factors exist to evaluate the value of the players.

Toronto has elite offense, perhaps the best in the league this year with or without Nylander but a lot better with him. They are a better team with him in the lineup than without. So that increases his value from Toronto's perspective.

Pesce has elite defense, perhaps the best top to bottom unit in the league, they are trading from a position of strength. That does make it seem like this is an obvious trade, however if we look at the forwards and offense currently in the Canes we see which team has the biggest need. Toronto allowed the 12th fewest goals in the league last year, less than Carolina, and they also had a +40 goal differential. Sure their defence is their weak point but that is a relative term here. Would improving the d be a prudent choice? Likely, but if it comes at the cost of weakening the offensive depth for the addition of just 1 player, does that make the team better? Probably not.

Pesce isn't going to transform Toronto's defense, but Nylander's addition to the Canes forwards makes a huge difference for their offence. He would become one of their best players immediately, while Pesce becomes the best defensive defenseman on the team. Defensive Defenseman don't really win you much, they may help to prevent you from losing but not losing doesn't go far if you can't score enough to win.

Another factor lowering Pesce's value is the fact that Chris Tanev who is essentially a more injury prone but more talented version of Pesce, could be picked up for much less than Nylander.

So with all that in mind, Carolina would be the far more motivated buyer year and TO would drive a hard bargain because frankly they can. Don't like it, that's fine, we are thrilled to keep Nylander. I am sure that your 4 right handed defenceman will be happy playing reduced minutes. Which is another issue that is driving down the value of your defenceman, you have too many of them and need to move one.
    Davisoc and GenXHockey liked this.
    Sep. 27, 2018 at 12:07 p.m.
    Been discussed repeatedly here. While it makes sense from a roster standpoint for Canes. Pesce 6 yr 4m per deal for a budget conscious team means he is going nowhere. They will move Faulk for a center or picks/prospects.
    Sep. 27, 2018 at 12:40 p.m.
    Wannabe Leafs GM
    Quoting: LoganOllivier
    You are going to get the following 2 responses on this post.

Cane fans will say, try Nylander and 2 first rounders and then we'll talk or something silly like that.

Leaf fans will say, try Pesce and Necas or a 1st and then we'll talk or something silly like that.

Here is how I look at this potential trade.

First thing that comes to mind is Hall for Larsson. Sure Nylander isn't at Hall's level, but Larsson was a first rounder while Pesce was a later developing 3rd round pick. The comparison is close enough, offense for defence worked out wonderfully for Edmonton......says absolutely no one.

So with that in mind, Nylander's value should be a lot higher than just Pesce.

What other factors exist to evaluate the value of the players.

Toronto has elite offense, perhaps the best in the league this year with or without Nylander but a lot better with him. They are a better team with him in the lineup than without. So that increases his value from Toronto's perspective.

Pesce has elite defense, perhaps the best top to bottom unit in the league, they are trading from a position of strength. That does make it seem like this is an obvious trade, however if we look at the forwards and offense currently in the Canes we see which team has the biggest need. Toronto allowed the 12th fewest goals in the league last year, less than Carolina, and they also had a +40 goal differential. Sure their defence is their weak point but that is a relative term here. Would improving the d be a prudent choice? Likely, but if it comes at the cost of weakening the offensive depth for the addition of just 1 player, does that make the team better? Probably not.

Pesce isn't going to transform Toronto's defense, but Nylander's addition to the Canes forwards makes a huge difference for their offence. He would become one of their best players immediately, while Pesce becomes the best defensive defenseman on the team. Defensive Defenseman don't really win you much, they may help to prevent you from losing but not losing doesn't go far if you can't score enough to win.

Another factor lowering Pesce's value is the fact that Chris Tanev who is essentially a more injury prone but more talented version of Pesce, could be picked up for much less than Nylander.

So with all that in mind, Carolina would be the far more motivated buyer year and TO would drive a hard bargain because frankly they can. Don't like it, that's fine, we are thrilled to keep Nylander. I am sure that your 4 right handed defenceman will be happy playing reduced minutes. Which is another issue that is driving down the value of your defenceman, you have too many of them and need to move one.

Very very well said. And frankly, I can not disagree. I would love to see Toronto solidify their back end, and I think that is a key word. Preds, Caines and Blues have some of the best defensive units in the league because they have been playing with each other for years. Toronto needs to solidify their top four and allow the back end to build from there. Thats what I want to see and that is what I believe Toronto needs. I guess we will see.

Moving Nylander isn't the answer, but, I do think something needs to be done.
    Sep. 27, 2018 at 12:52 p.m.
    Formerly Jamiepo
    Nylander would be on a 6yr 6.75m contract and this deal would be straight up. Clearly just a thought experiment as nylander will NOT be moved. This trade has been posted about a dozen times in the last month.
    Sep. 27, 2018 at 2:51 p.m.
    I would prefer slaavin to be honest, but I hope nylander doesn't get traded at all I just bought a new jersey with his name last month.
    Davisoc liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll