SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leaf FansPrice for Kapanen

Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:34 a.m.
Just curious what leafs fans think of Kapanen and what his price would be in a trade. Similar level D prospect for him, draft pick?

With Andrighetto on the IR to start the season, Avs could use a RW with scoring touch for 2nd/3rd line duties so he would be an ideal low risk high upside target
Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:37 a.m.
#LeafsFever
Considering how successful the 1-game tryout playing shotgun to Matthews was this preseason, and how fast and versatile and affordable he is, I'd say the Leafs aren't looking to move him. That said, a healthy, injury free Connor Timmins and Tyson Jost would certainly do it I'd think.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:38 a.m.
KFTW
They think Kapanen is a guy who will be a 2nd line winger. Kapanen and a 1st for Tyson Barrie
TanSor liked this.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:38 a.m.
Sports and Tacos
Quoting: MG1986
Considering how successful the 1-game tryout playing shotgun to Matthews was this preseason, and how fast and versatile and affordable he is, I'd say the Leafs aren't looking to move him. That said, a healthy, injury free Connor Timmins and Tyson Jost would certainly do it I'd think.

The combination of Timmins and Jost??? or one of the 2?
Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:39 a.m.
KFTW
Quoting: ThatGuy

He means both. I think you do that for Nylander and a smaller piece lol
Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:41 a.m.
#LeafsFever

I was referring to both, yes. Ideally the Leafs recoup a 1st round draft pick, which seems to be part of the price to acquire any big time defenseman these days, but I am not sure Kapanen gets you that, especially if the Leafs and Avs are looking at more of a hockey-type trade.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:42 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Maybe a late 1st?

But Leafs fans probably think Barrie + a 1st lol.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:42 a.m.
Not a Leafs fan, but honestly to fit the Leafs needs of a RD, you'd probably have to trade Barrie (it would have to be with retained salary) for Kapanen+ if Timmins and Makar are off the table (which they should be). Not sure why the Avalanche would do this though, since Barrie is a great top 4 D and you don't have a ton of depth to replace him until Timmins and Makar are ready.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:43 a.m.

You are hockey dumb with that sort of ask
ThatGuy liked this.
Banned

Firstly, that didn't happen, you made this up. He hasn't played an even strength shift with Matthews yet. He did though take Hyman's spot in the last preseason game, which is with Tavares and Marner. He did look good there and is definitely good enough to play higher in the lineup.

On to this actual post, I think when Kapanen could potentially be available is next off season. Once TO signs, Nylander, Marner and Matthews, there will be very little left for other guys like Kapanen and Johnsson. So if one of them has a decent year, they could demand more than TO will have to spend. That will result in either a trade, an offersheet or a 1 year contract. I wouldn't be surprised if Kapanen get's a 1 year deal around a million only to cash in with a better deal the summer after once Marleau is done.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I like Kappy but I don't know how good he really is. Maybe I see him as a fast and willing worker and not a goal scorer. Until Nylander is in camp, Kappy has to stay a Leaf. And Ennis and Johnson still have to proof themselves or else Kappy might be needed at their spots too.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:44 a.m.
They are talking about Kapanen being loaded to the AHL to make room for Nylander when he signs

You honestly think he is going to be worth Timmins, Barrie, Jost level guys....Wow Leaf fans you are a delusional bunch
ThatGuy liked this.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:45 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: coga16

It's also a false statement, Kapanen played 1 game on the Tavares line, he hasn't in fact, played with Matthews yet.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:46 a.m.
#LeafsFever

Aren't you tremendously sweet for saying so smile
Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:47 a.m.
#LeafsFever
Quoting: LoganOllivier
Firstly, that didn't happen, you made this up. He hasn't played an even strength shift with Matthews yet. He did though take Hyman's spot in the last preseason game, which is with Tavares and Marner. He did look good there and is definitely good enough to play higher in the lineup.

On to this actual post, I think when Kapanen could potentially be available is next off season. Once TO signs, Nylander, Marner and Matthews, there will be very little left for other guys like Kapanen and Johnsson. So if one of them has a decent year, they could demand more than TO will have to spend. That will result in either a trade, an offersheet or a 1 year contract. I wouldn't be surprised if Kapanen get's a 1 year deal around a million only to cash in with a better deal the summer after once Marleau is done.

I meant the Tavares line.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:47 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: palhal
I like Kappy but I don't know how good he really is. Maybe I see him as a fast and willing worker and not a goal scorer. Until Nylander is in camp, Kappy has to stay a Leaf. And Ennis and Johnson still have to proof themselves or else Kappy might be needed at their spots too.

Kap is definitely higher on the depth chart and value chart than either Ennis or Johnsson. Ennis will be either a healthy scratch or waived within 15 games. I liked him in the 1st preseason game but he wasn't very good the rest of the way. He is so weak in the corners that it prevents Matthews from having any sort of cycle game. Nylander is way stronger with the puck than Ennis, and since Ennis can't kill penalties and is small, Kapanen and Johnsson will both show better than Ennis would on the 4th line.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:48 a.m.
#LeafsFever
They are talking about Kapanen being loaded to the AHL to make room for Nylander when he signs

You honestly think he is going to be worth Timmins, Barrie, Jost level guys....Wow Leaf fans you are a delusional bunch

No one has ever said anything about loaning him back to the AHL once Nylander signs. Get your sources straight, because clearly you are an Eklund/hockeybuzz kind of person, and as we all know, they are definitely the best kind of people grin
Random2152 liked this.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:50 a.m.
Quoting: csick
They think Kapanen is a guy who will be a 2nd line winger. Kapanen and a 1st for Tyson Barrie

As an outside opinion this seems relatively fair to me assuming the Avalanche would part with Barrie (which they shouldn't yet).
Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:51 a.m.
Sports and Tacos
Aren't you tremendously sweet for saying so smile

lol. Kapanen has 10 points oin 55 NHL games on one of the most offensive team in the league!!!

He aint worth two A-prospects..

I'd trade 2nd or a late first for him!
coga16 liked this.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:53 a.m.
No one has ever said anything about loaning him back to the AHL once Nylander signs. Get your sources straight, because clearly you are an Eklund/hockeybuzz kind of person, and as we all know, they are definitely the best kind of people grin

Cap Friendly tweeted out that they can loan him to the Marlies to make room for Nylander as he is waiver exempt, as an option. Guys like Draglikepull on twitter who is a SB Natiion leafs writer for Pension Plan Puppets has talked about it. Its a thought that is out there as an option.

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1046777835178930177

So yeah no one has ever talked about it, those are just a few examples of the idea being out there on hockey twitter by guys who are just not fans.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:55 a.m.
lol. Kapanen has 10 points oin 55 NHL games on one of the most offensive team in the league!!!

Exactly, Im shocked at how delusional leafs fans can be. They want a Top 50 prospect for him.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 11:56 a.m.
Quoting: arousedcat
As an outside opinion this seems relatively fair to me assuming the Avalanche would part with Barrie (which they shouldn't yet).

Avs wanted Nylander for Barrie last offseason, a 1st and Kapanen for him....this website man...some people are just taking crazy pills
Oct. 2, 2018 at 12:00 p.m.
#LeafsFever

To be perfectly clear, he was playing 4th line and PK minutes last season, so obviously the points are not going to flow, as they would if he was playing in the top-6. That said, he is one of the fastest Leafs and most versatile, and as the industry is seeing, there is more to this game than pure points.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 12:02 p.m.
Sports and Tacos
Exactly, Im shocked at how delusional leafs fans can be. They want a Top 50 prospect for him.

Hahahah I am shocked.... I actually can't believe it!

Seeing him play live, Kapanen is nothing more than depth player that can skate and kill penalties.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 12:03 p.m.
Sports and Tacos
To be perfectly clear, he was playing 4th line and PK minutes last season, so obviously the points are not going to flow, as they would if he was playing in the top-6. That said, he is one of the fastest Leafs and most versatile, and as the industry is seeing, there is more to this game than pure points.

Anybody can skate and kill penalties.

Jost and Timmins have the potential to actually contribute and be difference makers in the game.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll